Chapter 2

A Beautiful Mess

The night is over,

We were sober,

You said goodbye and I try not to be hurt.

Seems like forever,

Nothing has changed.

 

-I’ll always be the same for you, Kelly Yu

 

It had seemed to him perhaps that they weren’t meant to be after all. He hadn’t even caught a glimpse of her that following year. That evening spent together seemed like but a dream. Occasionally, he allows his mind to wonder back into the distant memories where the scenes now tinted with sepia had him wondering if it was a genuine memory. He figures that was the end of their fate. What chance did he stand against kismet? He was better off forgetting that chance meeting and passing it off as just having their lines of fate passing through like two perpendicular lines. Intersecting once but never to meet again. He gently boxes up the memories he has of her in his mind, pushing it into a dusty corner together with childhood memories and snippets of his past.

 

Meanwhile, on the other side of the globe, she was thinking of him as well before she was startled out of her reverie by his voice. It is only when she is abroad would she even dare to set her ringtone with his song. She was being summoned back to Korea by mother dearest who had enough of her daughter moping around. Her last movie was controversial at best, and the endorsements and scripts had came to a dwindling halt as no one wanted her in a market that promotes artistes who were innocent, bright eyed and bushy tailed. She was better off running her businesses, monitoring her stocks and exploring Madrid. Her mother however, wanted her back in Korea for the New Year with family. She might seem fearless, but her mum gave her the creeps. Just the sound of her heels on the linoleum floors alone would have her cowering in fear. So with the phone call, came the beginning to the end of her vacation.

 

He entered the airport just as her plane landed.

 

She headed for a coffee chain the moment she collected her baggage. Grimy and exhausted from the long haul flight, she craved for coffee no matter how icky it would taste. Pretty sure no one would be interested even if she didn’t disguise herself; she strode into the coffee stand to order her beloved coffee. The coffee stand was sufficiently crowded for her to fill stifled and she left after collecting her order. She sipped on the hot coffee as she waited to be picked up by her brother. Her flight had landed early while he has never been early a single day in his life. She walked to the departure halls to watch the planes take off, mesmerized by the blinking lights on the tarmac.

 

He walked towards the departure hall after checking in. It was refreshing to be alone after having an insane schedule for the past few months. He leant forward onto the handrails watching as another plane took off. His flight wouldn’t leave for yet another hour and he had made sure he had sufficient time to whittle away. He loved airports in the evenings, the excitement that hung in the air, the bustling, and the general atmosphere where he could just fade behind and watch as people moved on with their lives, as he stood stationary. They stood mere metres away.

 

If only one of them would turn their head to look at the other side.

 

His song blared from her phone once more - she had forgotten to change her ringtone. Her ride home was here to pick her up. She gathered her empty coffee cup, handbag, and wheeled her luggage off in search of the car park.

 

He looked up from his broken reverie, thinking he had just heard his song playing. A Korean tour group had just gathered around the gates of the departure hall and he figured it was probably one of them.

 

She weaved through a group of excited Korean tourists and made her way for the exit.

 

He headed towards the departure gates, keeping a distance from the excited group.

 

 


I lied. This chapter is significantly shorter than Chapter 1. But eh, how long can you drag an encounter where your protagonists don't even meet? My heartfelt gratitude to the 14 people who subscribed, it just makes me wanna write more. Once again, please do leave a comment/ subscribe. A happy author = more writing :) That being said, I think those two are gonna meet for good next chapter, so stay tuned. Oh, anyone wanna take bets on how long I can last without mentioning names? :) hehe.