Chapter 4

A Beautiful Mess

He didn't think he would see her so quickly after they parted in the afternoon, so he was pleasantly surprised to see her in the cafe that his friend had started up with his aid. She was stunning, even after being without sleep for an entire day. She had changed back into her clothes -a white sheer dress that made her doe like eyes pop. He thought she had the air of child like innocence around her, but it would be insolent to point that out. Her expertly done make up had hid the worse of her eye bags, but her expressive eyes had betrayed her weariness. He figured it would only be polite to walk up and greet her since their eyes have already met and it would be rude to ignore her presence.

As he walked up to her, shoes clicking on the hardwood floors, the barista melted away into the background. He smiled and greeted her, watching her closely as she returned the greeting.

"You did well yesterday, ji hyo sii" he complimented, amused as her cheeks coloured.

She was flustered by his compliment, and could only return the sentiment hoping she didn't sound like a bimbo fawning over him.  The conversation halted as he caught sight of his friend trying to capture his attention. He excused himself, signing for the barista to put her coffee on his tab.

She watches as he walked away, thinking that he had a nice physique. Shaking the lecherous thoughts out of her mind, she turns to receive her coffee from the barista. As she turns back, her heart sinks, realizing that he was sitting with a beautiful female friend who was behaving extremely friendly. Her eyes narrowed as she heard the ringing laughter from said friend. Pouting slightly, she turns to leave the cafe swiftly, leaving behind only a gust of air as the door opened out wards.

"She's totally jealous" his friend murmured as she ran her fingers down his tightly wounded arms.

Jong kook was speechless and could only look pointedly at the manicured hand that was still his forearm. She gave a loud ringing laughter that could be heard over the light jazz playing which attracted odd looks from the customers around them. He could only glare at her.

"Don't worry, oppa, I'm a married woman, remember?" How could he forget when he was the best man at said wedding? She sighed, wondering if he was going to make a move on the attractive woman that had just left her cafe in a huff. He had been alone for so long, she had thought he wasn't interested in the female species. It was an awkward memory that she didn't want to think about.

The bell on the cafe door jingled, signaling ji hyo's exit. He immediately turned to watch.He looked down the street where ji hyo had walked by, watching as she walked away from him, as her figure vanished in the distance. Was he destined to only look at her retreating back, never to walk alongside her?

"I think I might divorce my husband and marry you instead" he was startled by her declaration, whipping his head to meet her eyes that were filled with mirth.

"You haven't been paying attention at all have you? You've only agreed to let me name your first born son, buy my son a Bently on his twenty first and buy me shoes for the rest of my life." She chokes out in between her gasps for breath as she laughed at his stunned expression.

He could only smile weakly as he was offered ways to help him ask ji hyo out.

She returned to an empty apartment. Tossing her bag onto the floor, she dove onto the couch and sprawled out, exhausted. The shrill tone of her mobile startled her out of her daze. It was her manager calling to say that she had been offered a permanent spot on running man. She wondered if she should accept the offer.

 

It wasn’t really her decision to make in the end. She had been away from the scene for so long, she wasn’t even sure if she could stay in it anymore. She would take any job that would have her. Besides, she had responsibilities to her team that she had to fulfill. Picking up her mobile, she called her manager.