Chapter 3

A Beautiful Mess

She had been back in Korea for perhaps a week when her manager called her excitedly jabbering about a new and upcoming project and how she had an interview with the producers! Just one episode on the show, to let the world know that she is back in Korea now that the hype from her last movie is considered old news buried by the more interesting news generated by younger pop groups. She had agreed, feeling responsible for her team. Even though they were provided for with a base salary by the management, her activities would generate commision for them. She considered them to be family. After all, she sees them more than she does her family back in the days where she actually had a resemblance of a job. It was her duty to them that she would fulfil.

 

She was casted for the very next episode. There weren’t many people clamoring to get on a brand new show with close to no credentials. The first episode hadn’t aired and she wasn’t even exactly sure who would be on the cast until the briefing she received the day before they were due to film. She spotted his name right at the top of her information sheet. Her heart fluttered wildly. She couldn’t imagine how she would react when she sees him when her heart could do sommersaults just at his name. She couldn’t sleep that night due to the excitement. Why she was excited was an entire different can of worms she didn’t want to open.

 

He approached the next filming with trepedition. The members had a meeting right before the show and he knew she was coming. He wished fervently that they would be in the same team, just so he had reason to talk to her once more.

 

She arrived with butterflies in her stomach. Pasting a smile on her face, she entered the filming area where the main cast had gathered. It would be the first time they see each other in years. She had kept up with his news while she traveled, but boy, he was way better looking in person. Their eyes met and she felt a tingle of electricity run down her spine. Her breath hitched and she averted her eyes, looking at the other cast members with a grin on her face.

 

He could feel his face getting hot, and he turned his head to speak to Dong Hoon in an attempt to hide his burning face.

 

He watched her that night. Twenty-four hours spent in the same room, and all they did was to glance at each other from the corner of their eyes.

 

The episode ended without them speaking outside of the polite niceties they had to. He felt awkward and that it was inappropriate to approach her and she just felt out of her depth with the older men and had promptly withdrew back into her shell.  She bid the cast and crew a good afternoon and left, for by the time they wrapped up, the sun was hanging brightly right above their heads.

 

It must have been fate, for they meet again at a café relatively near her place. It was a new start up she spotted on her way home from getting groceries a day after she returned and had become a quick favourite. The café was just a charming two-story shop house with a tiny garden at the back. It wasn’t anything special, but the tranquility she feels when she sits there cannot be replicated anywhere else. A cup of latte later, she was hooked and has been back every day since.

 

So she was rather surprised to see him when she ordered her coffee. He had entered the café while she was talking to the barista and was looking around the café appreciatively. Her voice trailed off in the middle of the conversation as she looked at him. He seemed to sense her gaze and before she knew it, he had stridden across the wooden floors and was at the mahogany counter where she was. The scent of his cologne swirled around the air and mingled with the scent of vanilla and coffee sending her senses into overdrive. He was so close she could see the faint five o’clock shadow that he had developed over their intense filming.

 

“It’s nice to see you again, Song Ji Hyo Sii” he said with an easy smile.