0.5/1

Trick for Tat

He really hadn’t meant for things to turn out this way.

 

It had all started out innocently enough, a little good clean fun between friends, or housemates, or whatever they were, and now…well now Daehyun isn’t sure they are anything at all.

 

Really though, if he’s honest with himself, it had probably started long before that.

 

 

*          *          *

 

 

Daehyun had joined their ragtag little group last, a transfer during senior year to Youngjae, Jongup, and Junhong’s high school. He’d befriended Youngjae first on his second day at his new school, when the homeroom teacher had to rush out of class and he’d overheard Youngjae’s iPod playing Musiq Soulchild. They’d talked excitedly until the teacher had come back and Youngjae had invited him to sit with them for lunch. When Daehyun’s stomach had growled even after he’d scarfed down his food, Youngjae had split his remaining red bean bun with him and things had been cemented.

 

By the time Youngjae discovers Daehyun is a menace, it’s really too late to do anything but act as his very underpaid lawyer. They’re sitting in the principal’s office after Daehyun had been dragged there by the ear in the wake of the latest incident, Youngjae having convinced the man to let him sit in.

 

“Seonsaengnim, if I may?”

 

Daehyun is sitting sprawled out in his chair, chin in his hand and completely unconcerned as the principal waves a hand signalling Youngjae to continue.

 

“Daehyun’s having a hard time adjusting, and,” Youngjae looks to his friend then, hesitant, before he soldiers on, “He’s been struggling academically. I’m sure this is just a symptom of that frustration, right Daehyun-ah? He wants to do well, he cried when he told me how sad his mother was at the results of his last math test.”

 

Daehyun’s shoots him a glare, but when Youngjae’s eyes turn pleading he sighs and looks to their principal, bowing his head, “I’m sorry, Seonsaengnim. I want to be better. I didn’t think the marbles would spread so far and into the teacher’s lounge, as well. I was just trying to get those guys that were bothering Junhong, and-”

 

At the principal’s raised brow and the slight shake of Youngjae’s head Daehyun refocuses.

 

“-It…it was wrong of me. Please accept my apologies.”

 

He leaves his seat and bows to the floor for extra measure and he can hear the older man sigh as he sits up.

 

“I can’t just let this slide, Daehyun.”

 

Youngjae’s face lights up, “Why don’t you have Daehyun help out with the after school music club? We could use a hand and-”

 

“Aww, man, after school? Like I don’t spend enough time here already-” Daehyun catches the principal’s glare and cuts himself off.

 

“That’s a good idea, Youngjae. Daehyun, you’ll volunteer with the club for the rest of the year. No excuses. Your music teachers tell me you’re doing extremely well, so it shouldn’t be a problem. I’ll make sure the leaders confirm your presence at every meeting. And detention every day starting tomorrow for the next week. I hope you’ll learn something from Youngjae here and work to improve yourself. Do you understand, young man?”

 

“Yes, Seonsaengnim.”

 

The man nods, and dismisses them just as the final bell is ringing.  

 

Youngjae grins and tugs Daehyun’s arm, pulling him to the now empty music classroom.

 

“Aren’t you glad you have a friend like me that can manage to whittle your punishment down to basically hanging out with us and playing music?”

 

“You’re a genius, Youngjae. No one can compare to your greatness, Youngjae. However will I repay you, Youngjae?”

 

Youngjae shakes his head, “Why did I ever make the mistake of giving you my food?”

 

“Because I’m cute? You laid it on a little thick, though. Next time, let’s say I made a dramatic speech instead of crying. I’ll be like a cool drama lead.”

 

Youngjae rolls his eyes, pushing open the door to the music room and grinning at what he sees.

 

“Hyungs! You’re here early.”

 

Daehyun blinks at the two men, one strumming a guitar and the other fiddling with a keyboard connected to a laptop.

 

“Youngjae!” the guitarist exclaims, “Tell him that there is no place for his new wave hip-hop beats in traditional music!”

 

“Youngjae,” the other man’s voice is a deep rumble, only half aware as he continues to stare at his computer screen, “Tell him I still don’t care what he thinks about my project.”

 

“Ah, hyungs, you’re being rude,” Youngjae pulls Daehyun in front of him and puts his hands on Daehyun’s shoulders, squeezing encouragingly.

 

“This is Daehyun, he’s our new member.”

 

They both seem to take notice of him for the first time. The deep voiced one stands and walks over, reaching out a hand.

 

“Sorry, Daehyun-ssi. I’m Yongguk, welcome to the club.”

 

“H-hi,” Daehyun gently clasps the man’s hand, ears flushing when he gets a gummy smile in return. For all his bravado, he was painfully shy around new people.

 

The other man quirks a brow, eyes running down Daehyun’s untucked uniform shirt and loose tie, the sneakers on his feet where dress shoes should be, and the wild mass of his hair.

 

“Youngjae, did you bring a delinquent in here?”

 

Daehyun stiffens and Youngjae throws an arm around his shoulder, “He’s my friend, hyung! And he’s a great singer, he can play piano, too.”

 

Himchan stares, “Whatever, I’m Himchan. Don’t break anything.”

 

 

*          *          *

 

 

Somehow, Youngjae gets Himchan to help him and Yongguk tutor Daehyun. The college student agrees and despite the fact that he still looks at Daehyun with something just shy of derision, he actually does a good job. Youngjae helps him with math and science, Yongguk with history and English, and Himchan takes on whatever’s left or steps in when the other two are busy. It’s a neat little arrangement and though he still can’t touch Youngjae’s grades, by the time the end of the semester rolls around Daehyun is solidly just above average.

 

He’d grown closer to everyone else, too. Junhong and Jongup were part of the club as well, along with several other students Daehyun was now familiar with. Youngjae has been friends with Yongguk and Himchan for ages, both former students, and so they spend time with the club leaders outside of school, too, with movie nights and weekly hangouts. The elder two aren’t always present, having college commitments and social events to partake in as well. Daehyun still isn’t sure if Himchan considers him a friend, but now that they’ve slept in the same room several nights, once even falling asleep on each other’s shoulders, he supposes they are somewhere beyond acquaintances.

 

When they graduate and decide to enroll in the same university as the two elders, it seems natural to move in together. Himchan and Yongguk want a bigger place as they gear up for graduation, and neither Daehyun nor Youngjae had been too keen on the campus dorms.

 

They rent a small house, three bedrooms to share and a nice little yard to have friends over in, and settle in for the new school year.

 

Daehyun, who had moved to Seoul a year ago with his lame clothes and thick accent thinking he might not even get into college, never mind a good one with his closest friends by his side, doesn’t think things can get any better. His life is as perfect as it can be.

 

And for a while, it stays that way.