Friday

Two Weeks

"Follow me." A voice called.

Woohyun looked around in the pitch black night, no moon or stars out.

"Hurry." The voice called again but more hurriedly.

Woohyun put his hands out in front of him to search for something to hang on to.

"Woohyun-ah. Can you keep a secret?" The same voice asked.

A different and softer voice boomed from a different corner of the darkness. 
 

"Do you remember yours?" 
 

.....

 

"Ahh!" Woohyun snapped out of his dream drenched in cold sweat. He sat up straight in his desk chair, spine tensing, and face in his palms. He gasped for air and wiped his sweat off with the heel of his palms. 
 

Why? Why is it coming back?
 

Woohyun opened his drawers roughly. Things flew out from the force: pens, pencils, pins, notepads, and 
photos. 


Woohyun threw unimportant memories behind him by the dozens, harshly breathing. He stopped once he caught sight of the familiar bright color of aquamarine. He placed his shaking fingers on it then slowly let photos slide off the only framed photo.

The photo held dark secrets but also some of the most cherished memories from Woohyun's past. His tears came streaming one by one as he bit his lips, looking at the last photo of Suzy before she-
 

"Woohyun?" His mother peeked her head through the door. "Is everything alright? I heard all this racket..." Her eyes slowly widened as she took in the sight. She dashed in through the door and snatched the photo away from him before hugging him to her chest, Woohyun bawling by then.
 

"Mom, no! No! I didn't do it! It wasn't my fault!! Yes it was! I wasn't there! No, I wasn't!! I wasn't! Mom, believe me! Please! She made me...!" Woohyun blabbered on as his mother searched the bottom drawer of his desk.

Her hand wrapped around something plastic that made a rattling sound when she took it out. She managed to open it with Woohyun half-assed pounding her on the shoulders with his fists. She shook two pills out and enclosed it in her palm before Woohyun bumped into her other hand, making her drop the bottle on the floor. 
 

"Woohyun-ah." She tried grabbing his attention, only receiving more babbling. "Nam Woohyun." She said more sternly. Woohyun stopped and looked up at her with puffy eyes. 
 

"Mom. I didn't kill her." She tried her happiest smile. 
 

"What does the dentist say?" 
 

"S-Say ah-" Woohyun's mother stuffed the pills into his mouth then held his jaw shut. He barely tried struggling before swallowing one pill at a time.

Once it was all done and over, Woohyun's mother removed her hands and wrapped them around him instead, holding him tight against her. 
 

.....

 

Zelo finally set out by himself after convincing Sungyeol to spend some time alone with Howon.

He was finally going to do what he came here to do. He used the information given to him by Sungyeol, location and everything.

He didn't know exactly where he was going although he felt he'd been there before.

All he mentioned to Sungyeol was the name "Suzy" before Sungyeol had a fake minor heart attack and gave him an address. 
 

"Just ask for Grandada and he'll know what to do." 
 

Zelo decided to follow Sungyeol's advice because he honestly didn't know where to start. He walked to the front door of an ordinary looking white house. He knocked three times before someone stood in the doorway. 
 

"Yes? May I help you?" A woman asked. Zelo cleared his throat before talking. 
 

"Yes. I am here at your doorstep to meet with Grandada?" Zelo said more like a question than anything. The woman's eyes grew wide for a moment then she turned around. 
 

"He'll be right out. Come on in." She suggested, before making her way into a room just down the hall. Zelo walked in and decided to take his shoes off just to be respectful. He shut the door behind him with one hand then stood in wait.

Someone much younger than Zelo expected stepped into the hall and made his way over into the light.

Both their eyes grew wide. 
 

"Myungsoo?!"
 

.....

 

Dongwoo awoken and was about to sit up on his sofa when he felt something sticky on the jacket he always wore.

It took a minute for him to escape the morning fog before noticing he had spilt coffee on himself; He must have dozed off.

He grimaced as he took his jacket off, noise of metal sounding in the room, and tossed it beside him. He sat up and touched his feet lightly on the carpet. He took a breath.

What to do today. He looked over to his one person table and saw the black suitcase still full of money. He decided he didn't need his jacket that day and headed out into the sunlight. 
 

.....

 

Sungjong had been up and singing peaceful tunes for people going by him. He'd received eight dollars even though he didn't ask to be paid. He was in the middle of a song before something hard hit his side. It wasn't enough to knock him down, just to grab attention full of anger.

Sungjong swung his head around to meet a familiar face. Dongwoo immediately looked down to the cement. 
 

"Hey, Nobody." Sungjong said. Dongwoo handed him the suitcase again but was rejected. Sungjong held out his palms. "I'm sorry but I can't accept that-"
 

"My name's Dongwoo and last time I checked, there was only three thousand bucks in here. Not three thousand and five bucks." Dongwoo said, forcing the suitcase into his hands. Sungjong wouldn't take it.
 

"I just thought it'd be nice to-"
 

"You can't even fend for yourself, Sungjong!" Dongwoo growled as he looked up. Sungjong felt unusual with Dongwoo saying his name for the first time. "You-" He cut himself short. "What happened?" He asked in the same harsh tone. Sungjong felt his face, remembering he had a bruise on his cheekbone. 
 

"It's nothing-" Dongwoo ed the suitcase down onto the cement before grabbing both Sungjong's wrists and pulling them down. Sungjong looked down to the side to avoid the burning gaze Dongwoo was giving. 
 

"Where did you get this?" Dongwoo coldly growled, making Sungjong a little scared. He tried pushing away but couldn't under the iron grips. "Answer me."
 

"Why do you care?" Sungjong found himself asking. "I don't even know you, nor you, me." 
 

"I don't care if we know each other. I want to know because I really want to beat the out of someone right now!" 
 

"Okay-okay! The person you'll be beating is me, alright? I ran into a pole when I was walking around in the dark. So let go." Sungjong lied, shaking his torso.

He didn't want Dongwoo to beat anyone.

It took a while for Dongwoo to finally let go and right as he did, Sungjong sprinted away. Dongwoo grabbed his suitcase and followed after the escapee.

It was his turn to chase. 
 

.....

 

Sungyeol sat by Howon's bedside. He had been sitting there for a while, he thought.

He decided to look at the time to see how long he'd actually been there when his sight was blocked. What seemed like a card was propped up against the alarm clock. He reached for it right when Howon shuffled and kicked him at the thigh. He held his breath and waited until Howon stopped before taking the card.

He read it.
 

Nam Salon
 

How did he get this? 
 

"Yeollie?" Sungyeol put the card in his back right pocket before moving to a better angle so his brother could see him better. 
 

"Morning, Howon." He greeted as he lay beside his brother. Howon smiled, eyes turning into perfect crescent moons. 
 

"Yeollie. I had a dream about us dancing together. You would sing and I would dance because it seemed I heard you loud and clear." Sungyeol smiled. "Then Woohyun was dancing with us too. He said both of us were really good at dancing and singing and that he wished he could do it one day too. Yeollie, it was the best dream I've had since I got here." Howon finished.

Sungyeol's smile had faded a little through the whole thing but he knew Woohyun was a good guy.

Nam Woohyun.

Nam Salon.

Nam Jerk-

"Yeollie, I want to see Woohyun again. I really like him. He's nice and funny-Yeollie?" Sungyeol flipped the covers off of Howon and took him by the arm.

He led his deaf brother out of his bed and down into the main lobby. Sungyeol motioned for him to stay by the staircase as he pushed a couple sofas aside, creating a large nothingness in the center of the room.

Howon slowly walked one foot in front of the other to Sungyeol.

Once Sungyeol was finished moving things aside, he snatched Howon's arm, surprising the latter and ran them into the middle of the room. He smiled widely as he waited for Howon to grasp what was going on.

Howon's face suddenly brightened as he did a cat daddy. Sungyeol laughed. 
 

"Yeah! We're dancing!" He said before copying the other's moves. Howon laughed as well as he changed the move to a double turn, surprising the other. Sungyeol tried multiple times but always ended with failure. His only accomplishment was making Howon laugh his head off. 
 

.....

 

"So your counterfeit label is Grandada? That is quite interesting." Zelo commented as they sat across each other on separate sofas. 
 

"Sungyeol told you my nickname was Grandada, am I right?" Myungsoo asked for reassurance. Zelo nodded. "Of course. So why are you here?" Myungsoo asked, expressionless.

Zelo held the box close to his body, Myungsoo having just noticed it. 
 

"I'm here today to settle some things with Suzy." Myungsoo's eyes seemed to flicker. "I have something to give her-"
 

"She's not here anymore." 
 

"Where is she at this moment?" Myungsoo got up and started for the rack of sweaters. "May I ask where you are going?" He slipped one on then his shoes as well. He opened the door then stepped outside. 
 

"Follow me." Zelo got up in a blind state. He hurriedly put on his shoes then went out after Myungsoo, who was already halfway down the lot.

Myungsoo felt warmth streak down his face once again as they approached the small graveyard not far from the house. 
 

*Flashback*
 

Myungsoo sat beside Suzy while she lay on the hospital bed. It's been two days since hospitalization. 
 

"I don't want to live without you-"
 

"No. Don't say that, Grandada. Live for me."
 

"But-"
 

"Those we have lost are watching over us. Spirits don't die. Listen as they try to connect with us. They are all around us. Maybe inside that tiny pink rose. Maybe I'll be inside that pink rose."
 

*Present*
 

Myungsoo swung open the gate and let Zelo in first. 


"May I inquire on why we have arrived at such a depressing lot?" Zelo asked as he waited for Myungsoo to lead him. Myungsoo ignored his question as he made his way to an empty grass area.

It always seemed colder in graveyards.

Zelo followed and sat beside the already planted latter. Myungsoo tugged blades of grass one by one as Zelo waited for him to speak, still holding the box in his large hand.

Myungsoo finally stopped picking at the grass and sighed. 
 

"Here we are. Say hi to Grandmama, or Suzy." He said in a monotone voice.

Zelo's hands weakened.

The box fell from his grasp and he sat still, head hanging. 
 

.....

 

"Sungjong!! Wait! Wait!" Dongwoo called out after Sungjong, who was already getting tired from being out of shape.

He climbed a fence then couldn't take it anymore so he leaned against the fence he had just climbed over. Dongwoo jumped over the two foot wooden fence Sungjong was leaning against and pinned the latter against it. 


"Why the hell are you trying to run away?!" Dongwoo questioned, breathing hard from his run. Sungjong was breathless and tried catching his breath as Dongwoo lectured him. "Are you trying to hit your face against a pole again? Why won't you accept my money? I have too much. I don't need all of it. But you do so don't give me this bull about being nice-"
 

"Let me go-"
 

"No! Let's hang out today." Sungjong's face formed into disbelief. He huffed.
 

"Are you kidding-" Dongwoo grabbed Sungjong's arm and pulled him behind him. "Let go! I don't have time for you-" 

 

"Shut up!" Dongwoo ordered. Sungjong sneered but followed after being unable to peel away.

They arrive in the center of downtown. Dongwoo tugged Sungjong so he would be positioned right in front of him. 
 

"Where are we going?" Dongwoo questioned. Sungjong scoffed before scanning Dongwoo from head to toe. 
 

"Yah. Are you really serious?" Sungjong asked, receiving only a sturdy nod. Sungjong suddenly burst out into laughter, catching Dongwoo off guard. 
 

"W-What?" Dongwoo found himself asking. Sungjong managed to free from Dongwoo's already weakening grip and covered his mouth with both hands. 
 

"I'm sorry." Sungjong apologized, still laughing. Once he was done, he took Dongwoo's hand and led them. "I won't forgive you for this." 
 

"Why not?"
 

"Cause you're impossible."
 

"Fine. What if I buy you whatever you want? Will you forgive me then?" Sungjong chuckle-scoffed. 
 

"No." 
 

"What? Why not?" 
 

"Just shut your mouth and keep on your feet." Sungjong commanded, before going to his favorite place, Nam Salon being in second place. 
 

.....

 

It's been a while since Zelo nor Myungsoo spoke. Zelo snapped open the small white box, catching Myungsoo's attention. He sat there staring at something Myungsoo couldn't see.
 

"How long ago?" Zelo asked in a low, cold voice. 
 

"Two years? Three years? Seems like an eternity." 
 

"How?" Myungsoo's face still expressionless as he spoke. 
 

"Poison." Zelo's face hardened, still staring down. "Nam Woohyun. He was the only one with her when she was sent to the hospital. Everyone blamed him until Suzy sent out notes saying it was her fault. I helped her deliver those and she seemed fine. We thought the poison had gone for good but it hadn't. She was hospitalized again then she eventually passed away during summer break. The people at school were shocked when they heard of the news. I was her boyfriend so they bothered me most." He finished, still expressionless.

Zelo nodded sadly and reached for the tiny item in the ring holder.

He pulled out a fragile, wrinkled tiny pink rose.

The one given to him by Suzy, his ex-girlfriend, before she returned to Korea a few years ago. He placed it on the grass where he thought Suzy lie. 

Zelo. The someone special Suzy was waiting for. Myungsoo thought.
 

"I wanted to thank her. She kept me going when I thought it was the end. Then she left me for you. I was even more broken but then...I remembered her words. 'Only after you've lost everything are you free to do anything.' I wanted to thank her but now I see that I cannot."
 

"Yes you can." Zelo looked up at Myungsoo. 
 

"How?"
 

"'Those we have lost are watching over us. Spirits don't die. Listen as they try to connect with us. They are all around us. Maybe inside that tiny pink rose.' Maybe she's inside that rose. Just maybe." Myungsoo said, staring at the wrinkled rose Zelo had just placed on the grass. "Maybe she is."

Zelo positioned himself before the rose in a bowing position. 

"I want to thank you for all your words of wisdom. Without you I would have never made it this far. So please accept my gift to you. I'm returning home in a week so I guess...this is goodbye." Zelo sat straight again. "Thank you." Zelo thanked, referring to Myungsoo.

Myungsoo nodded then added a smile at the end before letting his facials drop again.
 

"Zelo." Zelo blinked a couple times, trying to get used to Myungsoo saying his name for the first time, before actually listening. "Do you think people can change over night? Like into a whole different person?" Zelo hummed before answering. 
 

"I have yet obtained knowledge on such things. Even I have not-"
 

"Yes you have. You spoke earlier in a normal manner to Suzy. Did you not notice?" Zelo's eyes grew wide.

Now that he thought of it...

it was true.

"And I..." Myungsoo scoffed in a sad manner before continuing. "I lost my smile." Zelo's lips formed into a slight pout. 
 

How could someone just lose their smile?

"Umm. How exactly does one lose a smile?" He questioned. Myungsoo shrugged his shoulders. 
 

"I guess I was just a lovesick fool who made someone his world. Like an idiot." He answered with no expression. 
 

"Is that the reason behind Sir Sungyeol always complaining about you smiling so much? It seemed he just had a little tumor growing in his head, filled with authority." 
 

"No." Myungsoo shook his head. "He makes me smile and if I don't, he finds a way to. He's the only friend I kept from High School because he doesn't look at me badly. He looks at me with care and sings to me sometimes but he could never get my actual smile back-"
 

"You must release it."
 

"What?"
 

"Only you,the person who owns it, can release it." Zelo said. "It's time to let go of the events from the past time frame and focus on a clearer future." Myungsoo frowned. 
 

"But-"
 

"That's a start." Myungsoo put out his arms. 
 

"What's a start?"
 

"Your eyebrows scrunched downward, using facial muscles." Myungsoo opened his mouth slightly, about to speak, but shut it and smiled slightly. 
 

"I'll try, but...I still have to get enough money to pay for Suzy's gravestone." 
 

"I see. I can pitch in-"
 

"No." Myungsoo put out a hand. "I want to do it myself...with my own skills." 
 

*Flashback*
 

Suzy wrapped her arms around Myungsoo's neck from behind as he sat on the sofa. 
 

"You know you can get a lot of jobs with your grades and skills, right Grandada? So why don't you go find one?" Myungsoo put down the book he was just reading an hour ago, having been too distracted by Suzy running around his apartment.

He turned around swiftly and pecked her on the cheek. 
 

"Yah!" She squealed before he grabbed her sides with his big hands and pulled her over the sofa and into his lap. She playfully pounded his chest in process, Myungsoo pretending it hurt so much that he was going to die.

After they settled down and Suzy had her chin on Myungsoo's shoulder, Myungsoo replied. 
 

"Why would I need a job when I've got you right here?" She pulled back so they peered into each other's brown eyes. 
 

"Are you saying I'm bossy?" She teased. Myungsoo smiled heartwarmingly then tickled her, laughing evilly. She screamed and giggled. 
 

*Present*
 

Zelo stood up. 
 

"Time to go then-and...how much is the gravestone?" He asked. Myungsoo got to his feet as well and put his hands in his pocket.
 

"I'm having it custom done. So it's about a hundred thousand." Zelo's eyes widened and his jaw dropped slightly. 
 

"Really? I want to help-"
 

"No. I'm almost there anyway."
 

"How much money do you have right now?" Zelo asked. Myungsoo hesitated before answering. 
 

"Eighteen thousand."
 

"That's it?" Myungsoo nodded.
 

"Okay I'll give you two thousand right now. I'll send more money when I get back to the states-"
 

"No. I want to do this alone-"
 

"You need to let go, Myungsoo. We need to pay for the headstone and start fresh." Myungsoo bit his lip. A moment passed. 
 

"Fine. But you need to let go too. You keep talking in a normal sense." Myungsoo said with a straight face. Zelo scoffed. 
 

"You're one to talk. Put that smile back on your face and I'll go back to talking the way I naturally talk." Myungsoo scoffed as well, imitating Zelo, then smirked. Zelo returned a smirk. "Alright then, my senses tell my logic center that the time is ticking and it will be sundown soon. Shall we carry on back to the trail to the warmth of your home?" They exchanged grins before starting back to Myungsoo's house.

Zelo wrote up a check and gave it to Myungsoo after convincing him once more. Zelo only stayed for a minute, saying he had something important to do at home.

Once Zelo left for good, Myungsoo ripped up Zelo's check and tossed it in the trash. 

 

.....

 

"So. Why did you run away from me?" Sungjong asked, walking beside Dongwoo. 
 

"When did I run away from you?" Dongwoo questioned, brushing lint from his shoulder. 
 

"Just yesterday." Dongwoo frowned then halted and looked to the ground. Sungjong stopped as well. They stood in wait for seconds before Dongwoo snapped his head up again. 
 

"Nope. Don't remember." He lied, grinning right afterward. Sungjong groaned. 
 

"Whatever. Let's go-" Dongwoo grabbed his arm before he could turn away. Sungjong gave him a confused look. "What-?"
 

"Why did you run away from me?" Dongwoo asked.
 

"What?" Dongwoo shook him. 
 

"You know what I mean." He growled. 
 

"I thought you were actually gonna beat me." Sungjong admitted. Dongwoo let go with a scoff as Sungjong turned and ran again, laughing this time. 
 

"Yah! Do you really want me to punch you?! Get back here!" Dongwoo ordered, chasing him down once again. 
 

"Try to catch me!" Sungjong said, sticking his tongue out. Dongwoo put the suitcase under his armpit as he dodged bodies and shops. 
 

"Sungjong-!!" Dongwoo stopped in his tracks when he noticed where he was being led. He saw a red cross and too many white uniformed workers. 
 

The hospital. 
 

"Su-Sung..." Dongwoo could barely speak. Sungjong turned around when he noticed the footsteps behind him disappear. 
 

"Yah! What are you doing?" Sungjong questioned, cupping his hands over his mouth. He was almost at the front doors as when Dongwoo froze on the sidewalk.

Dongwoo didn't answer and instead, nervously shifted his weight from one foot to the other. Sungjong decided to run down to meet the latter. Once he reached him, he nudged his collarbone with his knuckle. 
 

"What's up with you?" Sungjong asked. Dongwoo shook his head and let out a breath. 
 

There was no way in hell, he'd tell Sungjong. 
 

"L-Let's go then. What are we waiting for?"
 

"You." Sungjong muttered before pushing a half willing Dongwoo through the glass doors. Once they were in, Sungjong couldn't help but smile. Meanwhile, on the other hand, Dongwoo felt as if he was going to puke. 
 

"Wh-"
 

"We're going to donate some money." Sungjong interrupted, Dongwoo thankful for that because he was going to gag.

Sungjong reached out a hand to him, Dongwoo stared up at him meanwhile in his gagging position. 
 

"Suitcase." Sungjong said. Dongwoo handed it to him without a word before turning to exit the hospital.
 

"I'll be out here." He waved coolly, putting a hand up. "Take your time." Then his back was out of sight. Sungjong shrugged and went up to the counter of nurses, overhearing gossip like,

"That guy in the coma is ssso gorgeous." and

"That guy that came in with blood and bruises all over him was so out of it. He was senile, screaming out someone's name. It was like..." Sungjong cleared his throat, receiving their attention. 
 

"Hey cutie, how may I help-"
 

"Sungjong!" One out of the five nurses shouted before stepping up to him, the others giving them dirty looks. "How have you been? I haven't seen you in so long." She gasped and reached for Sungjong's bruise. "Where did you get this?" Sungjong chuckled. 
 

"Don't worry about it...Oh yeah. I actually brought more money to donate-"
 

"Sungjong! You shouldn't! Just because you have a lot doesn't mean you can give it all away. You need it for college. Aren't you going to University of Seoul? That should cost you a lot, right?" Sungjong smiled. 
 

"It does. But I want to give this to the sick. And I hope I can do more in the future." He handed her the suitcase. She accepted it and snapped it open before standing wide eyed. 
 

"Th-that's too much!" Sungjong shook his head. 
 

"No. Just keep it." He turned around but didn't walk away. "Oh yeah. And Baby Soul. It'll be a while until I come back again, alright?"
 

"Why?"
 

"Doesn't matter. Just take care of yourself and wait for me to come back." Sungjong started walking to the door.
 

"You take care too! Don't get in anymore fights, alright? And don't donate anymore money!"
 

"Yeah." Then Sungjong was out the door. 
 

Sungjong scanned the whole place for Dongwoo then ended up walking around the whole building. 
 

"Maybe he went inside?" But right as he was taking that as a possibility, he was pulled by the back of his shirt collar. 
 

"Why were you taking so long?" Dongwoo growl-asked. "I was searching all over for you." Sungjong shifted so he wouldn't be choked by his own shirt. 
 

"I was looking for you too. And yah. You told me to take my time so why are you nagging me now?" Dongwoo grunted. 
 

"I'm not nagging. I was-"
 

RING! RING! 
 

Dongwoo groaned as he pulled his phone out from his back pant pocket. 
 

"What?" Sungjong watched Dongwoo's face turn sour as the conversation carried on, Dongwoo not replying to a single thing. Another minute passed before Dongwoo hung up. 
 

"I have to go."
 

"Right now? I thought you wanted to hang out?" 

"Y-Yeah but-"

"Just kidding, dude. Go. I never wanted this anyway." Sungjong waved him off. 
 

"O-Okay...I guess...I'll see you later then..." Dongwoo said, a little crestfallen before disappearing from Sungjong's sight. Sungjong couldn't help but smile the rest of his day.
 

.....

 

"Ugh. So tiring." Sungyeol said as he fell back on the couch behind him. Howon noticed Sungyeol was down so he took a seat beside him. 
 

"Done already?" He asked teasingly. All Sungyeol did was groan and put his head back. "Okay. You don't have much stamina anyway." He said, resting his eyes. 
 

"I beg to differ! I have a lot of stamina! Do you know how many places I go in one week..." Sungyeol looked away from his deaf brother and took a breather, annoyed. 
 

"Lucky bastard." He said more to himself than Howon as he rested his face in his palm. 
 

I don't know why I put up with this nuisance. Where's Zelo anyway. This is his job. I should probably be at some resort eating-
 

"Yeollie? Are you okay?" Howon asked, breaking Sungyeol's internal train of complaints.

Sungyeol looked back at him and was met by a bright smile. 
 

That's probably why I put up with him. 
 

Sungyeol sighed and went back to smashing his face in his own palm. 
 

"Yeollie. Are you so tired that you can't live now? Or was trying to copy me too overwhelming?" Howon teased again. Sungyeol glared at him then something clicked.

He snatched Howon back up with him and into the middle of the room. 
 

"You're copying me now." Sungyeol muttered before posing and signaling Howon to follow.

Howon laughed before copying his awkward dance moves. For the rest of their time together alone,

Sungyeol laughed wholeheartedly, something he hadn't done since his best friend lost his smile.