Tuesday

Two Weeks

Howon stepped out into the main room only to find his second mother napping on the sofa. He had been looking for Zelo for half an hour now and didn't want to wake her. So he tiptoed past her and to the front door. He opened it, going outside the house for the first time since he got to Korea. He put on his shoes and looked up just in time to see the red Mercedes drive out the gate. He sighed and began taking off his shoes when something his curiosity.

An elegant poofy white cat walked across the green lawn just a couple feet from him. He reached out to touch it but it ignored him and continued down the path. He started after the cat, wanting to touch its soft fur.

The cat walked out the front gate, labeled with a large "L". 

.....

 

Woohyun was awakened at his desk by a loud ring. He reached for his phone and unconsciously answered it. 
 

"Hello?"
 

"Woohyun! Let's hang out today!"
 

"Sunggyu?"
 

"Uhhh, yeah...?-Hey! Did you stay up studying again? I told you not to." Woohyun was a little wider awake now.
 

"Okay. Where are we going?" 
 

"We're going to a famous restaurant! I forgot the name but the food is delicious!" Woohyun was wide awake now. 
 

"Wait. Where were you last night? Your parents called me." There was a silence on the other line then Sunggyu finally spoke. 
 

"Let's talk about it once we meet up, okay?"
 

"Alright. Come pick me up." 
 

"On my way!"
 

"So if I have to pay five hundred for rent then...I would have three thousand left for myself." Dongwoo calculated in his head. He sat at his table with a suitcase of money.

"What to do with it though." He questioned himself. Then he remembers the pretty, homeless guy he tripped on. He slams the suitcase close and carries it to his car.
 

"Isn't the food great~?" Sunggyu asked the other with a mouth full of food. 
 

"What happened to your car?" Woohyun asked, changing the subject. Sunggyu swallowed.
 

"At home. I'm deciding not to drive anymore for the good of nature!" He ended, putting a fist up to the sky.
 

"Is that why you weren't at home last night?" Woohyun asked, piecing the puzzles. 
 

"Yeah. That's why. I think." Sunggyu said, stuffing more meat and vegetable down. 
 

"That makes sense. And yah." Sunggyu looked up from his food. 
 

"Yeah?"
 

"What's so wrong about the coffee shop we always go to?" He asked. 
 

"Well. It's getting old." Woohyun was about to yell at him. "And-and! I had a dream that I had to explore more and go to every place there was in the city." Woohyun cocked his head and furrowed his brows.

"Alright. Fine. I guess we could do that." Woohyun muttered. Sunggyu continued eating.

 

.....

 

"Sir. Is your mind set and blood organ calm on me leaving today?" Zelo asked, worried that he might lose his job. “Also, why must I pack clothing for a maximum duration of 24 hours?“ Sungyeol glanced at him from the driver's seat then back at the road.
 

"You‘ll see why. And just blame me if you get into any trouble with my mom." He assured. Zelo was still uneasy but nodded. After one or two minutes, Zelo spoke.
 

"May I ask where our destination stands?" Sungyeol took a right and continued driving. 
 

"You'll see. But first we have to pick Myungsoo up." He said, pulling into a driveway to an ordinary looking white house. It took no time for a handsome cold looking man to step out of the front door with a green and black gym bag. He waved to Sungyeol with a straight face at first then managed a smile. He noticed Zelo in the passenger seat and waved to him too.

Myungsoo threw his belongings in the back then got in the back seat and the three started off. 
 

.....

 

Sunggyu wanted to pay but the waitress kept ignoring him so Woohyun had to pay.
 

"That was rude." Woohyun said once they got outside. 
 

"N-No. It's alright. I-I don't blame her." He said, stuttering half the time. "Bye Woohyun. I have to get home." Sunggyu started off the opposite direction as Woohyun, toward the hospital section. 
 

"Wait! Isn't your house this...way?" He called out, but Sunggyu was already gone. Woohyun shrugged and started home. 
 

.....

 

Howon had chased the cat for a while now, he thought. He was standing on the sidewalks of the city. 
 

"Hey!" He called after the cat that disappeared into the crowd of people. Then suddenly he felt uneasy.

He was lost.

He searched his body for his phone but remembered he left it in his room. He continued walking wherever he could and decided to sight see. He wouldn't be getting home anytime soon and he always looked at life as a glass half full. 
 

.....

 

Dongwoo traced the paved streets, searching for that one homeless guy, when he heard a soft tune. He turned the corner to his right and held the cement wall, suitcase in the other.

The pretty homeless man was singing for an audience of three that had stopped to listen. Dongwoo dragged his feet as he approached the area, intrigued. He stopped once the man stopped singing and tightened his hold on the suitcase full of money.

The three people cheered then handed him money. He accepted it graciously.

Dongwoo waited until all the people were out of sight before approaching the man. The homeless man looked at him, triggering another stare down.

He smiled slightly.

Dongwoo looked away and put out his hand with the suitcase in it. It took a long awkward moment for the homeless man to notice he was supposed to accept it. He lightly placed his hands on either side of the suitcase when Dongwoo spoke.
 

"Name?" He peeked back at the pretty man. 
 

"Ah~ Call me Sungjong." Sungjong replied. "You?" He asked. 
 

"Nobody." Then Dongwoo let go of the suitcase and was out of sight within ten seconds. Sungjong cracked a smile before opening the suitcase and almost fainting at the sight. 
 

.....

 

The stop light turned into a man walking.

Howon started walking across the crosswalk.

Woohyun heard piercing sirens coming from the right of him right when he was about to cross the street. So he stood back when someone caught his eye.

Some crazy guy was starting to cross the street. He switched to hero mode and ran and pulled the man back. The firetruck almost hitting him. Once they got to safety, Woohyun questioned the crazy man.
 

"What were you doing?" He asked. The man pointed to his ears and shrugged. 
 

"I'm deaf." He said straight up. Woohyun went oh.
 

"Name?" He asked, exaggerating his mouth motion. "Name?" 
 

"Name?" Howon questioned, receiving a nod. "Lee Howon." He answered. The crosswalk was safe again and the two crossed. Woohyun wondered why he was wondering around the city alone when he was deaf. Once they got to the other side, Howon spoke.

"I'm lost. Do you know where the Lee mansion is?" Woohyun shook his head. He had never heard of-
 

"Oh! Yes. I know where it is. You live there?" He asked, then remembered Howon couldn't hear and nodded instead.
 

"Really? Then can you take me there?" Woohyun nodded. He just remembered that he always passed that area when he headed for school.

He took hold of Howon's hand so he wouldn't lose him as they walked through huge crowds. They walked for a while then reached the edge of the city. The rest was the country side, filled with trees and vegetation. 
 

"Ummm." Woohyun hummed to himself as he thought of where to turn next. "Ah. This way." They made a left then headed straight for an hour.

They've been walking for a long time now and, to Woohyun's surprise, it was already starting to get dark. They got up to the gate with a large L on it but could only see its silhouette.

"We're here~" He pointed out more to himself than Howon, who stood beside him. "Alright then. Goodbye." He waved as Howon did the same and entered the automatic gate. Woohyun, satisfied with his kindness, smiled and turned around to start home but noticed how dark it was. He pulled out his phone to call Sunggyu.
 

"Hello~?"
 

"Sunggyu?"
 

"Yes~?"
 

"Can you come pick me up?"
 

"No~"
 

"What? Why not-oh. Your nature thing."
 

"Yes~"
 

"Well. Can you break that-"
 

"Nope~"
 

"Please. It will be midnight once I get home."
 

"Nope~ I'm really busy right now. Where are you anyway? Weren't you headed home?"
 

"Yeah. But I was helping someone get to their house. He was lost-"
 

"I'll call you tomorrow. And. Just stay with that guy then. He owes you." Then Sunggyu hung up and Woohyun stood alone in the dark.
 

Howon looked back to the gates before reaching the fountain in the center of their driveway. He saw that Woohyun was not gone yet and figured it was too dark for him to walk home. He called out to him.
 

"Hey!" Woohyun turned around. "Want to stay the night?!" Woohyun hesitated. 
 

Howon was a stranger but Woohyun did save his life and bring him home. So Howon won't do anything weird or creepy, right? Woohyun was still hesitant until Howon shouted something assuring. 
 

"I want to pay you back for helping me!" With that, Woohyun did not hesitate and jogged up to Howon.

They shared a thankful smile and continued into the house. Woohyun was amazed at the mansion because he had never really been inside one. He owned a big house but it wasn't a mansion because his family only consisted of his mother, two maids, and himself. 
 

"This place is amazing." Woohyun said as someone rushed into the room. Mrs. Lee rushed up to Howon and hugged him.
 

"Where were you? I was so worried." She said breathlessly. "It's ten o'clock!" She exclaimed, looking over at the golden grandfather clock. Her eyes trailed back to Howon but scanned over Woohyun. "Who are you?" She asked. 
 

"Oh. I was helping your son home." Woohyun made a guess that she was indeed Howon's mother. 
 

"Did you take him out!? Who are you-Nevermind-I don't care. Just get out." She ordered. Woohyun slowly started backing up from the spazzing woman. Howon pushed away from his second mother and could tell she was yelling at Woohyun.
 

"He helped me get home after I got lost." Howon said. Mrs. Lee shook her whole head rapidly and pulled Howon's head to her shoulder. 
 

"No. Get out! I don't care what you did." She determined.

Woohyun nodded as if he understood, never looking at her, and stepping out into the dark. He groaned once he closed the door behind him. He really wanted to study tonight and get ahead on the degrees and special angles. But now he was stuck because his friend is inconsiderate, his mother has a phobia of driving, it was dark and he didn't want to get murdered, and he just got kicked out of the mansion he was hoping on staying in tonight.

He scratched the back of his head, thinking of what to do for the night. He could... He had no idea.

After a while of cold, he finally decided to sleep beside the garage at the end of the lot. It didn't seem like anyone ever went there. 
 

.....

 

"Alright. Get some rest." Mrs. Lee said, kissing Howon on the forehead before killing the lights and shutting the door. Howon immediately hopped off his bed and snuck out his window, climbing down a tall tree. He had learned how to climb to the top of any tree then back down when he lived in Korea with Sungyeol years ago. He got to the bottom and started searching for Woohyun in the cold.

Within a matter of minutes, he found Woohyun nearly frozen cold by the abandoned side of the garage and shook him awake. 
 

"Hey. Hey. Hey." Woohyun peeked open an eye. And squinted.
 

"Howon?" He questioned, still half asleep and frozen.
 

"Hurry. Let's go in." Howon rushed, pulling Woohyun up by the arm. They reach the tree. Woohyun rubbed his eyes.
 

"Umm. Yeah. I don't think I can climb that." He said. Howon started climbing, unaware of what Woohyun just said.

Woohyun attempted to follow Howon and was actually pretty good at it. "Just. Don't. Look. Down. Don't. Look. Down~." He repeated to himself as he placed his foot in every foothold Howon did just before him.

Howon climbs through the window then helps Woohyun in and shuts the window glass with a shudder. Woohyun is already stripped of his jacket and under the sheets by that time, snoozing away. Howon picks up his jacket and something drops onto his bare feet. He bends down and picks it up. It seemed like a wallet and he opens it in plain curiosity.

There is an ID card. 

Nam Woohyun
Age: 23
: M

 

A credit card, sixty bucks, and a couple Nam Salon discount cards
 

"He works at Nam Salon. Nam Woohyun. Woohyun." He repeated, to make sure it stuck.

He shut the wallet when he heard shuffling on the bed and put it back in the jacket pocket. He hung the jacket on a hanger and hung it at the end of the king sized bed.

He walked around to the opposite side of the bed, sleeping a safe five feet from Nam Woohyun.