Monday

Two Weeks

Dongwoo skipped down the streets of Seoul as he made his way to a friend's house. He turned a corner and saw that there had just been a fatal car crash at the intersection. He was curious so he went to check it out. He poked a four year old kid on the shoulder.
 

"Hey kid. What happened?" He asked. The kid turned around with a chocolate ice cream covered face. 
 

"Old people go bye bye." The boy answered with a natural baby voice. 
 

"How many?" Dongwoo asked, imitating his baby voice. The kid put out a couple fingers and looked to them as he counted silently. 
 

"Four. But three die." He said surely. Dongwoo rubbed his head. How could the car crash be this bad, and right after he came from someone's house. 
 

An ambulance rushed by, not to the crash site but past it and behind Dongwoo. 
 

Dongwoo patted the kid on the head lightly and ruffled his hair.
 

"Good boy. Now go to your mommy. We wouldn't want you getting kidnapped." Dongwoo said before turning back and going to his friend's house to discuss matters. 
 

.....

 

Myungsoo sat on a grass spot, hugging his knees. "I miss you, Grandmama." He said to the empty space between him and the grass.
 

.....

Woohyun was sitting in the back room with all the products when his best friend came in holding two ice cream cones. Sunggyu held out a rainbow cone to the other. 
 

"Here. Now pay me back." He said as Woohyun accepted the sweet ice. 
 

"Okay fine, later." Woohyun said before taking a big bite out of the ice cream. His teeth started freezing and he made a yelling sound as Sunggyu mocked him, reenacting his friend. Once they settled down with Sunggyu sitting beside Woohyun, Sunggyu spoke.
 

"So about being an architect. Are you really serious about it?" Woohyun nodded.
 

"Yeah. I really want to become one." 
 

"Okay."
 

"What about you?" 
 

"Me?"
 

"Yeah, you." 
 

"I want to go and work somewhere in the states. I also want to meet many women there." He ended, chuckling. Woohyun scoffed. 
 

"What career are you aiming for in the states?" He asked, choosing the relevant statement. Sunggyu put a hand to his chin and it.
 

"Umm. Something that has to do with meeting girls and English." He answered. Woohyun gave him lame eyes as if to ask if he was serious and Sunggyu just returned a straight and reassuring look.

Woohyun scoffed again and his ice cream.

"Oh! When I was driving, I saw a cool hat place. We have to go there!" Sunggyu exclaimed, changing the subject. Woohyun sighed as Sunggyu pulled him up by the elbow and then out his salon. People looking at them weirdly.
 

.....

 

Zelo walked out of his temporary room and started for Howon's room. Someone called for him.
 

"Zelo! Wait!" Sungyeol yelled as he ran up behind the tall man.
 

"Yes?" He questioned as he turned around.
 

"If you're looking for Howon, he's eating with my mom in the dining room right now." He said. Zelo nodded and thanked him politely. "Oh and I want to take him somewhere after he finishes his lunch. So make sure you're ready." Zelo nodded again as Sungyeol jogged off. He went to the dining room. 
 

.....

 

Dongwoo is returning from his friend's house when he spots someone familiar. Sunggyu is pulling Woohyun into a shoe store. 
 

"Okay. So school starts when again?" Sunggyu asked as they walked into the men's sport section. 
 

"In two weeks." Woohyun answered, skimming his fingers through different assortments of shoes. Sunggyu stopped in his tracks.
 

"Then..." He turned around to face Woohyun. "WHY ARE YOU STUDYING SO HARD!!?" Sunggyu asked, shouting. "Let's hang out more if school's in two weeks."
 

"But-"
 

"No butts, Woohyun. No more of your mom's big fat-"
 

"Okay!! And stop talking about my mom like that! I've told you that many times before!" Woohyun yelled, making Sunggyu cower.
 

"Alright, fine. Now let's just shop, alright? Alright? Alright?" 
 

"Alright!" Woohyun yelled again, receiving raised eyebrows from people in the row of shoes. 
 

.....

 

The doorbell rang to the Lee mansion. 
 

"I will interact with the organism." Zelo said, excusing himself from the dining table where he ate across from no one. Sungyeol's mother cleared as he left.

Zelo went down the hall and into the main room then walked down a long red rug to the wooden door. He opened the door with one hand and looked down. Dongwoo stood before him with a welcoming smile and wore a big black leather jacket.
 

"Hi, I'm here to see Nam Woohyun." He said. Zelo bent out the door with the length of his body and pointed to a sign on the left of the door. It spelt out:
LEE MANSION
 

Dongwoo looked at the sign then back at Zelo with a questioning look plastered on his face. 
 

"This property is owned by the Lee's, sir. There are no residents by the name of Nam Woohyun." Dongwoo puffed out his cheeks. He got the wrong address. He turned around and started down the trail.
 

"Sorry! Wrong address!" Dongwoo yelled as he dashed off.

Zelo could hear metal clinking as Dongwoo ran around a fountain and out the large white gate with a capital L on it. 
 

Zelo closed the door right as Sungyeol entered the room. He was going to the kitchen. 
 

"Oh. Zelo!" He called across the large room as he made his way to him. Zelo turned around.
 

"Yes sir?" 
 

"Are you ready?" Zelo looked at himself. He was always ready and usually slept in the clothes he was going to wear the next day. Zelo nodded. "Okay then. Let's go get Howon." They went into the kitchen and requested for Howon but his mother said "no". 
 

"Sungyeol, honey. Howon has just come home. Let him rest for the day." Sungyeol's mother said. 
 

"Mom~ That's not fair. I want to show him something and it's only happening today~" Sungyeol complained. 
 

"No, Lee Sungyeol! He's staying put in this house and resting. You can bring him with you wherever you want tomorrow. But today, young man. He is not going anywhere. Understand?" She snapped. Sungyeol deeply sighed.

"Understood, Mother." With that said, he exit. The mother sighed and returned to eating when Sungyeol popped his head back in. He didn't look at her mother but at Zelo.

"You wanna come then?" He asked. Zelo peered at Sungyeol's mother to make sure she was alright with it. She nodded slightly then Zelo was out the door with Sungyeol. 
 

Howon watched the door close after Zelo and sighed. He wished he could hear what they were talking about but he could tell they were fighting. He wanted to know so bad. He was getting up to go after them when he was stopped by his second mother. moved and her eyes were hard. She pointed to herself then at the chair he was just sitting on. He sat back down and stared at the door. 
 

"May I ask the destination in which we are headed?" Zelo asked casually as he walked beside Sungyeol. Sungyeol crossed his arms and pouted in thought...it anger. 
 

"Do you really want to go?" He asked after a moment of silence. 
 

"Well. If curiosity is normal to the human brain function. Then yes." Zelo answered. Sungyeol tried getting used to Zelo's way of talking. 
 

"Alright then. Let's hurry and go or we'll miss it." He said as he started out the door and to his red Mercedes, Zelo right behind his every step.
 

.....

 

Dongwoo clicked his tongue as he walked past a homeless shelter. 
 

Given false information about someone again. 
 

He was so bothered by the lies his friend told him that he didn't notice the leg before him. He tripped on it and caught himself as he looked back.
 

"I'm so sorry!" The skinny man apologized, frantically waving his hands around. The young man was wearing old clothes but had a pretty face.

Dongwoo was awestricken at the man's soft girl-like facials, resulting in a stare-down. A couple moments pass before the man speaks.

"Are you alright?" He asked with worried eyes. After a couple more seconds, Dongwoo answered. 
 

"Yeah." Then hurried off.
 

.....

 

It was starting to get late. It was about an hour ago that Woohyun waved bye to his friend. Woohyun was in his room studying frantically when he received a call. He picked it up.
 

"Hello?"
 

"Woohyun-ah?"
 

"Oh. Mrs. Kim? Is there something you want-"
 

"Is Sunggyu there?" Her voice was rushed and uneasy.
 

"No. What's wrong?"
 

"N-Nothing. It's just Sunggyu has not returned home."
 

"Should I call him?" The phone line went dead. Woohyun frowned and worried about his best friend for a little while then drowned himself in his studies again. 
 

.....

 

Sungyeol pulled Zelo behind him and through a dark parking lot. 
 

"May I ask where we are going at eleven fifty-eight pm?" Zelo asked. Sungyeol ignored him and continued rushing up until they reached a cliff, overlooking the city.

Sungyeol pulled him up by the shirt to the old fence rounding the sides of the cliff, never taking his eyes off the city and its bright lights.
 

"Watch." Sungyeol muttered.

Zelo turned his head right as something sparkly and white shot across the sky.

It exploded into red,

violet,

and blue.

Then another one but a different color at midnight.

Zelo stared in awe with his mouth hanging. He hadn't had time to see fireworks since he was five years old. 
 

"This is amazing." He said in awe. He watched a couple more. They shot up in different shapes and sizes. Once it all ended and the last bright firework faded, Zelo spoke.
 

"What was the occasion for such beauty?" He turned his head to Sungyeol, who was still staring out into the city. 
 

"An old man's daughter. Nineteen. This year twenty-one. He's been shooting fireworks for her every year on her birthday and death day...and I fell in love. Fireworks are beautiful, aren't they?"
 

"I strongly agree with that statement." 
 

"Yeah." Sungyeol said. A breeze began setting in, blowing through their hair and against their clothing and skin. "Zelo."
 

"Yes, sir?"
 

"How is it in America? Is it really different from Korea?" Sungyeol asked. Zelo hummed in thought.
 

"The juxtaposition of America and South Korea are not at all that different if carefully inspected. Both contain the kind and disrespectful. Both contain the deaf and blind. Both contain essential needs of human beings. Both contain simple knowledge. Both-"
 

"Got it." Sungyeol interrupted. "So it's not that different." 
 

"May I ask why you are interested in such an irrelevant subject?" Zelo asked. Sungyeol sighed and breathed in the cool breeze.
 

"I want to work there someday. And sing." Zelo nodded in acknowledgement. 
 

"May I ask you how well your vocal cords are arranged?" He asked. Sungyeol knitted his brows.
 

"Umm. You mean can I sing well?" He asked. Zelo nodded.
 

"Y-Yes." Sungyeol bounced off the rail and stood straight, putting a hand on his chest. He closed his eyes and imagined Howon standing before him with a smile.
 

"Don't place me in time~" 
 

Howon is dancing. 
 

"Don't try to reminisce me~" 
 

Howon is laughing. 
 

"Please~" 
 

Howon can hear. 
 

"Please~ Please~"
 

"That was extraordinary!" Zelo exclaimed, clapping lightly.

Sungyeol snapped back to the cruel reality and opened his eyes slightly. Zelo suddenly remembered the time and looked at the gold watch on his left wrist.

"I suggest we return home." Sungyeol took one last glance at the city.
 

"Yeah."
 

.....

 

Myungsoo opened the door to the hospital stairs after watching the explosions from the rooftop.

He looked back and noticed trickles of water on the ground behind him. He followed it to his feet as more came down. He reached a hand to his cheeks then felt something wet and realized he was crying.

This feeling was foreign to him because it only happened on two specific days in his life. Yesterday and today. He sobbed lightly and put a hand to his mouth as he leaned against the cold door.

"Grandmama."