008

Overshadowed

All sixteen female trainees convened into a spacious conference room, with the CEO Kim Youngmin at the head of the table along with Chairman Lee Sooman. “After EXO debuts, you all realize that a EXO’s sister group is necessary, right?” President Kim enunciated every syllable, as if we were dimwits who couldn’t get what he was saying. Bastard.

 

We all nodded and looked upon him expectantly. “There will be a series of three showcases where you girls demonstrate your ability in dancing, singing, and presenting. Those who qualify through all three rounds gets to debut into the new girl group.” He glances at every girls’ eyes, and asks, “Do you all understand?”

 

I nodded furiously. This was it -- I could finally one-up my sister and become the top idol in this industry, the one that every girl and boy would fawn over.

 

“You will have mentors to guide you in preparation for the upcoming stages.” He utters. “Artists that already debuted will be helping you alongside. You’re not just any girl group - you’re going to be the next Girls’ Generation. As you will be following their footsteps, it’d be best for you all to work hard, and work flawlessly.” President Kim looked around at all of us. “Do you all understand?”

 

“Yes, sir.” Sixteen different tones responded.

 

The executive team left the room, leaving the trainees behind. I could literally feel the adrenaline swimming through my veins. This is it.

 

I heard a sigh behind me. “Well, we all know someone is definitely going to debut using her sister’s connections…” Sulli sneered at me alongside her cronies.

 

“Krystal’s not like that.” Amber placed her hand on my shoulder firmly. “Besides, you should check out the trainee rankings once in a while, Sulli. You’re not doing so hot compared to Krystal here.” She looked at me admiringly, while the popular girl in front of me was looking at me as if she had knives in her eyes.

 

I don’t know how Amber could sound so confident for me. Sure, I had my sister, but wouldn’t that bring in more hate for me? I mean, like Sulli said, the netizens would be thinking I’m merely using my sister’s fame in order to increase our popularity.

 

“Hey, you alright?” A male voice entered my ear. I looked around my surroundings; I guess I was thinking for a while, since it seems as if it’s been a while since people were in the conference room. Then I saw Kai.

 

“I’m fine. Why are you here?”

 

The boy shrugged. “Couldn’t find you anywhere else.”

 

I didn’t respond, and merely shuffled my feet in another position, as a means to lift the awkward atmosphere.

 

“What are you doing?” Jongin sat across from me, as if we were having a meeting.

 

I bit my lip. “Thinking...How did you feel when they announced that you were debuting?”

 

Jongin looked away. “I - I guess I was thrilled. I mean, I knew it meant more intense training, but I was up for it because...I like doing what I do.” He chuckled. “Shouldn’t you be celebrating like the other girls? For having the chance to debut?”

 

I looked everywhere other than him. “I’m worried.”

 

“About what?”

 

I pursed my lips, thinking about how I should phrase my words. “I’m scared that...people won’t like me. I mean, it’s bound to happen, but...I don’t want to be hated…” With each and every word I said, I realized that Jongin was getting closer and closer to me.

 

“Well, you know it’s highly likely that you’ll be getting haters. But Jung Soo Jung, from what I see, you’re an inherently good person, and people like that don’t get hate from the citizens just like that.”

 

He was behind me, and wrapped his arms around my neck. “Don’t worry about it, alright?”

 

I grasped for the arm that was arching around my neck, and patted it. “Thank you,” I whispered.

And then, I was reassured. I mean, I’ve never really had anyone supporting me, other than Amber, and it was refreshing to see that at least there was someone else in this world who cared.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************

a/n: sawry i haven't updated in like 239042093 years T_T idk why i felt like writing this anyways. spontaneous decision, lol.