003

Overshadowed

I was embarrassed to say that I turned into a slight shade of pink whenever a classmate mentions that they watched my teasers.

 

I rushed to the S.M. practice room, and literally all of my fellow members glared at me for coming late. “Sorry.” I quietly muttered. The music resumed and I took my place in the front and center.

 

“Guys, I wanted to tell you that your debut will this coming Sunday, on M! Countdown.” Our manager hyungs calmly said. We all nodded - we could barely move from pure nervousness, our muscles taut from constant dancing, but our minds unadjusted to the life of stardom. “Practice until 1 in the morning!” And with that, they left the dance room.

 

I think starting from that moment on, everyone’s movements were no longer fluid, but rather tense. Everybody’s but mine. Dancing came naturally for me, probably because of the arduous hours of practice.

 

“...No one who care about me.” The last note ended, with a slight vibration that lingered in the air because of the high volume. All six of us collapsed onto the floor, with our chests heaving. “Okay boys, you’re free to go tonight. Good job.” The dance instructor gave us a small smile, and gestured us to hurry out of the building and catch up on some rest.

 

I, on the other hand, decided to stay longer. It’s what I always did, anyways. For some reason, though, I was getting mixed up on the rhythm because a loud beat was constantly emitting from the practice room next door.

 

“I’m always the last one out of practice rooms. Surely that annoying sound will go away soon.” I muttered, but my patience wore thin, and so I burst out of my room to angrily confront the person.

 

“Turn the music off!” I yelled. I stared at the girl before me. She had a nonchalant expression and didn’t even seem to notice me. I became engrossed with her dance moves - sharp and definitive. I didn’t even notice her giving me a glare before turning off her music.

 

“What do you want?” The girl snapped. I mimicked her expression. “For you to go sleep. Isn’t it past your bedtime?"

 

 “I’m busy, get out.” Her lithe figure walked towards the iPod to crank the music back on before I grabbed her arm roughly. “Don’t touch me!”

 

I stared at her incredulously. Most girls would be honored to have my touch, and swoon. This girl seemed rather...insulted. I studied her face. Pretty. “Let me practice! It’s me who’s going to debut soon, so I should have priority!”

 

Her frown deepened. “Uh, the last time I checked, you’re bound to debut. Since your future is already set, why not give others a chance to have the same opportunity like you? Like, letting me pass my showcase?”

 

This girl had the drive to practice all night even if she had to. She was harsher on herself than even I was to myself. I silently admired that, but I put on a poker face. “You don’t even stand a chance. Stop trying so hard.” I turned my face a bit too late and saw her furrowed brow and crushed demeanor. I shifted my weight to my other foot, and started walking away, knowing that I had won the upper hand for the second time, until I heard a crash, which startled me.

 

Then I had to cradle her body into my arms to the nearest hospital.