Chap. 1

What Eyes Can't See

Kris had been walking for half a day now. He keeps on falling down because of all the people who keeps on bumping him. They can see right? So why can't they just avoid bumping a blind person like him. He was so angry at them and at himself at the same time. He's still wondering why he had to ask the taxi driver to take him to a place with a lot of people. He's ing blind for Christ sake.

"Damn it!" Kris mutters to himself as he falls to the ground for the 50th time that day.

He still have his stick with him so he can walk. All the noise surrounding him was starting to make his heart pound so hard; from too much nervousness. After a few more falling down he finally, slowly hears a silence. Little by little he followed the silence and when the only noise he could hear is giggles from kids he finally took a deep breathe.

He knows a park when he hears one. It was a happy and relaxing place for him, specially the parks near the primary schools. Kris likes hearing the kids laughing and giggling, it was making him smile. Since he lost his sight when he was 15 he's been dreaming to see kids smiling again.

Before he got blind, his dream was to teach kids, he loves them, he loves them more than he loves his art supplies, he loves them more than he loves his favorite stuff toy Ace. His brother Luhan is always telling him that he would be a perfect father. He's confident that he is too, before his world turned black that is.

Kris walked a little more, trying to feel things with his stick. He wanted to rest, he clicked a button on his watch (specially made for blind people) to hear what time it is. He felt like he spend the whole day battling in the middle of noise war just a few minutes ago.

"5:30 huh~ no wonder there's a lot of people." he talked to himself.

Kris closed his eyes as if there's a point. His world is already black so he doesn't really get it himself why he closed it as if he's getting blinded by the light. Still, he felt the need of closing them. His eye lids just feels so heavy. He rested his body on the bench and slouched there thinking about Luhan.

Maybe Luhan is looking for him now and he's so worried. Or maybe not. Maybe Luhan is actually happy that he's gone because now he could have his own life back.

Kris lost his sight when he's 15 on an accident. Him, his brother Luhan and their parents are going home after a happy week of vacation in China. On their way home, their car got on an accident. Kris protected Luhan who was sleeping that time. They lost their parents on that, Kris lost his sight because of the shock and some shattered pieces of glasses hit his eyes. Luhan was miraculously harmless and only receives a few wounds thanks to Kris.

After that LuHan swears that he would always take care of Kris. No matter what happen. They are rich so living carelessly is not a problem they can even provide for 10 more people for the rest of their lives without a problem and their money would still be a lot. But that is not how reality works.

After 6 years, Kris is 21 now and Luhan is 23. Luhan started to get busy because he's a graduating student in the university, Kris is being tutored home. One day, or more like the day after, one of Luhan's friend named Minseok came over at their house. Luhan was not saying anything about it but Kris knows that Minseok is his brother's lover.

He heard them talking about him. We all know that blind persons have a very good hearing. Kris is in the living room listening to soft music when Minseok and Luhan passed by. They are almost whispering but he heard them loud and clear.

~~~

"aren't you tired of taking care of your brother? I mean, come on. You basically spend the past 6 years taking care of him while attending school. What are your plans after you graduate?" Minseok asked.

"I owe him a lot okay! I will never get tired of taking care of him. Of course it's tiring and all but I will never or maybe I should say I CAN'T trust anyone to take care of him." Luhan answered.

"You need to get a life Lu. You're a 23 years old man and your brother is 21. Just hire someone who can take care of him. I'll help you find someone you could trust if you want."

"You'll do that?"

"Of course Lu. I told you, you really need to get a life. Your own life."

~~~

So, that's the reason why Kris ran away from home. He took some cash with him of course and some of his expensive accessories. He needs to live after all. He decided to go to a hotel after resting a little. Maybe he'll ask someone for a little help later.

Before Kris knew it, he fell asleep on that bench and when he woke up. DOOMED! He's doomed! He's dead! He's screwed! He touched his pockets and his money is gone, he checked the other one and the accessories are gone. Even his cellphone is gone.

"! WHAT NOW!?" he asked himself as he bit his lips.

Maybe he should go back home? Maybe he should ask for someone's help? Maybe there's someone out there who would be kind enough to let him borrow their phone so he can call Luhan and ask his brother to pick him up? Or maybe not.

A thousand of thoughts are running through Kris' mind and before he could put anything into action, it started to rain. He can hear the people screeching while running. He can hear their footsteps passing him. He can hear the loud gong from the heaven, a loud warning that a strong rain is coming and all the es people on the earth should go find a shelter.

" MY LIFE!!!!" he shouted out of frustration when the rain pours at him.

No one is kind enough to help him and he can't help himself. He can only walk with his stick and maybe if he's lucky he could find a dry place where he could stay for a while.

Wow. God loves Kris. He found a place, a dry place where he could sit and wait till the rain stops and the heavens stops ragging. He's already thoroughly wet so there's no point in avoiding the water that was falling on him. He should be glad enough that there's a roof, even if it's damaged.

He felt so cold. He had 3 layers of clothes but he's still cold. He really hates his life right now. He was thinking that it would be better if he died with his parents. At least that way, he wouldn't have to suffer like this. Same to Luhan, his brother wouldn't have to take care of him.

He sat and reached his hands on the rain. It was kind of relaxing to hear the rain reaching the pavement. It's like a melody. When he still can see, he actually enjoys getting soaked in the rain but now, it's just troublesome. He listened to it as he relax his body. He listened to it carefully then suddenly he heard a huff from behind.

"! Who's there!?" he asked cautiously.

"Oh~ relax mister. I'm not a bad person." the voice said. "I'm just taking a shelter from the rain just like you."

"I.. .I'm sorry." Kris said as he lowers his stick that he unconsciously raise.

"Mister. You look cold. Are you okay? You're blind right? What are you doing here alone?"

"Why do you care? And why are you asking a lot of questions?"

"I'm just concern okay." Kris can see but he knows that the guy is slightly pouting. The way his voice came out sounds like that.

"I ran away from home. My money and everything I have got stolen when I fell asleep on the park. No one wants to help me and now it's raining so hard. I think I'll die here alone now." Kris suddenly confessed.

What's the harm on telling a stranger what kind of is happening to your life now right? Another maybe. Maybe after that small conversation, the stranger would leave him alone, leave him dying on that small shelter and maybe he just loose the chance of asking the guy if he have a phone to borrow.

"Wow. Your life so messed up sir." the boy shook his head as if Kris can see him.

"I know right." Kris sighed.

"Do you somehow have a phone I can borrow?"

"I do sir, but it's dead. I use it a lot today."

"Oh~ I see."

"Sir. Do you have a place to stay? I don't think the rain would stop soon, judging by how the sky looks. Do you know there's a storm?"

"I'm so dead." Kris said as he shook his head, partly shaking off the water.

"If you want, you can stay in my house for a while. It's so cold out here and my conscience will bug me for life if I leave you here alone. My brother called before my phone died and he said he would come pick me up in here. Our parents won't be home for a year or so because.. .."

"Wa.. .wait! Stop!.. .are you actually inviting me? A stranger you just met at your house? What if I'm a bad guy? What if I'm just pretending to be blind but I'm actually a serial killer?"

"Wow. You're good at exaggerating sir. But I'll answer your question. If you are a bad person and ended up killing me and my brother then I'll just blame myself in heaven for being bad at judging a person."

"How old are you?" Kris asked curiously. That was the first time he met a guy like that. Like, super kind and the guy actually have a y voice, it that's the perfect word to describe it.

"I'm 18 sir. And my name is ZiTao by the way. Huang ZiTao. But you can call me Tao for short."

"You're younger than me. I'm 21. My name is Wu YiFan but I prefer Kris. I'm Half-Chinese, half-Canadian."

"You live in Canada? Then are you super good at English?" he asked excitedly.

"Not super good. Just good Tao. Why? Are you bad at English?" he asked him.

"Kinda. I'm scared that I might not pass my English subject. My brother KyungSoo was looking for a tutor for a moment." Tao said a he fiddle with his fingers. Then suddenly he looked at Kris as if he just had the brightest idea on earth. "Sir Kris.. ."

"Just call me Kris. Or Kris gege~" he cut him off.

"Okay. Kris gege~! You said you don't have a place to stay right? And your money and belongings got stolen right? And you ran away from home right?"

"Yes Tao. Everything you said is right." Kris slightly chuckled at how Tao's voice sounded so innocent and cute. It's like listening to a 5 year old kid talk.

"It's not like I'm saying that running away from home is a good thing. I don't really know what happened to you but.. .if you want.. .ah~ wait no.. .please tutor me.. .I'll convince my brother to let you stay with us and give you salary at the same time. That way you can have money and a place to stay."

"I don't personally know you Tao but I'm really worried here for you. You're just too careless." he heard Tao laugh a little. ".. .but your offer is really tempting. I really need help right now and your offer is just too perfect." Kris said as he let out a kind smile to the direction where he thinks Tao is.

"So.. .? You'll tutor me right?" he grabbed his hands and he felt how warm Tao's hands is. It felt nice.

"We need to talk to your brother first."

"No need. I heard everything." a different voice than Tao said. "Hello Kris. I'm Tao's older brother, Kyungsoo. It's nice to meet you in this unexpected time & place."

"Since when are you there?" Kris asked since he didn't hear him coming.

"The rain is so loud so I'm sure you didn't hear my breaths but I've been here since the very beginning. Tao just told me not to talk."

"Then the talk about picking him up is a lie?" Kris asked.

"Not really a lie. He came here first then I saw him taking shelter so I followed him here. You guys are already talking so I shut up. The car is right over there and I think it would be best to go home for now so we can talk with a warm cup of coffee and choco for Tao. What do you think Kris?"

Wow. Kris doesn't know that kind people still exist. Tao and his brother Kyungsoo is so kind and nice to him, not like all the people who bumped him and didn't help him a few hours ago.

Kris doesn't know where the two guys are taking him. Another set of Maybe's starts to run through his mind. Maybe they are bad person. Maybe they are lying to him. Maybe they are actually slave traders and Kris is gonna get sold as a slave. He's pretty hot when he last saw his face in the mirror after all.

There's a whole lot of new MAYBE's but Kris doesn't care anymore. He'll just think just like how Tao thinks. If somehow, something bad happens to him, then he'll just blame himself for being not good at judging people's characters.

"Ok. Let's go." Kris said. The two brothers helped him. They guided him to the car and he can't thank them enough for their kindness. While they are on the car Tao keeps on telling stories to Kris. Like how he almost didn't pass the math exam, how he got F on English and how their parents leave them alone on the house and went somewhere in the Africa to do community service. Kyungsoo is driving and he's really quiet.

"We're here." Kyungsoo announced as he stops the car to their garage. "Tao. Can you help Mr. Wu... ."

"You can call me Kris if you want."

"right.. .Can you help Kris inside the house while I prepare our dinner on the kitchen? Lend him some of your clothes too. You guys are soaking wet." he said.

"Kay." Tao cheerfully answered.

The younger helped Kris, he never once leave Kris side. He was so talkative, he keeps on talking about anything and everything. Kris is smiling though, he likes to hear people talking to him. It seems like God loves Kris so much for immediately giving him the solution to his problems.

After changing into a new fresh, warm clothes Tao guided Kris back to the living room. Kris doesn't even know what Tao made his wear and it's not like he cares, as long as it's warm and he won't be cold. Everything's fine. Tao opened the tv and told Kris to listen to it while they are waiting for Kyungsoo to come.

"Hey Tao. Is this really okay?"

"What is?" Tao asked as he tilted his head when he turned around to look at Kris.

"You taking me in. As I said before, I could be a bad person you know."

"Kris. I don't think bad persons declare that THEY ARE Bad Persons." Kyungsoo suddenly said.

"Kyung!" Tao called his brother excitedly. "What's for dinner? I'm starving."

"I think I'll just make some pasta. But for now, let's drink coffee to make our bodies warm." he distributed the cups that he's been holding the whole time. "So Kris. I believe I still haven't introduced my self? I'm Kyungsoo. I'm currently taking care of our family business while our parents is in vacation. "

"Vacation? For a year?" Kris asked.

"Well, yes. They like traveling. Since I graduated and they know I'm capable enough to take care of the business and Tao they started to travel around the world."

"Oh. You're super rich huh." Kris said as if he's poor.

"Not that rich. Just rich. Why don't you talk about yourself Kris? Think of it as an interview to become Tao's tutor."

Kris is hesitating if he should say he's SUPER rich to them. What if they call LuHan and inform him that he's there. Everything that he did would be pointless and wasted if that happens. But at the same time he's already feeling guilty if he tells them a lie.

"Wu YiFan a.k.a. Kris. I lived in Canada for 5 years I think? We migrated here when I was 9 then I lost my sight and my parents when I was 15 in a car accident. I have a brother, his name is Luhan. I heard my brother talking to his friend about me being a burden to Luhan's life so I ran away from home. I made sure that I have money and my phone when I leave but as I already said it got stolen when I dozed off in the park."

"I see. So Kris. Are you willing to become my brothers tutor? I can tell that you're smart. As Tao already said, I think we can add another head here in the house and Tao looks so attached to you, which is rare."

"He does?" Kris asked curiously. Being blind is really hard, you can't even tell what a person looks like while they are talking to you. You can only depend on how their voices are coming out of their mouths.

"Yes. There's a vacant room beside Tao's room. You can use that. I will be giving you an advance payment so you can buy your basic necessities. I'm sure Tao wouldn't mind accompanying you to the mall so you can buy new clothes and everything you will be needing while you're with us. As for your family problems, I wouldn't in. It's your decision whether you'll inform them that you're okay or not. Is this all okay to you?"

"Yes. Of course. Thank you so much Kyungsoo. You don't know how much you've helped me. You're God send."

"Thank Tao. I'm doing all this for him. He likes you Kris." Kyungsoo patted Kris shoulders and leaves the room.

"Don't get what Kyung-hyung said wrong okay! I like you as a friend." Tao said as he put a cookie on Kris' hands.

"I know. Don't worry." Kris said chuckling. "Hey Tao." when Kris was sure that he gets Tao's attention he slightly smiled. "Thank you. If it wasn't for you I wouldn't be here. I think you're my guardian angel."

"don't mention it. You look really pitiful when I saw you okay. I just want to help. And.. .it's the other way round. I think you're my guardian angel, you'll help me with my studies right? It'll be hard." Tao warned him.

"Don't worry. I'm a great teacher." Kris said then they both chuckled.

Maybe for the first time in Kris' life he did something right. Maybe LuHan will be happy now that he's free from taking care of him and maybe he can stay with Kyungsoo and Tao until he saved enough and he can afford to live alone somewhere. Or maybe, this part of his miserable life is what's going to change his whole world and turn it up-side-down. Maybe.

 

 


a/n: I'm sorry for any mistakes TT/////TT English is not my first language so yeah X////D I'm sorry.. .Thank You for reading :) and I know it's too much to ask but.. .please leave a comment ^/////^