Part VII (final)

Alyeska

 

 

Part VII

 

“Everyone take a five!” Jongin announces. The class is more or less done. A few instructions and he lets the students off early. He has practice at the company in two hours himself. He wants to get some lunch with Sehun before he has to leave. “Jongin?” a voice calls out. it sounds oddly familiar. “Jongdae hyung?” he asks, surprised. He doesn’t expect the other boy to be here. “Do you have some time to talk?” Jongdae asks. “Yeah. Is everything okay hyung?” Jongin asks.

“Not really no. I think I am still in love with you when I shouldn’t be” Jongdae breathes out. there. He said it. It’s out in the open now. “Hyung... I have Sehun” Jongin tells him. “No. I’m not in love currently. I used to be. You don’t even remember me, do you?” Jongdae asks Jongin. “I... What are you talking about hyung?” Jongin asks, dazed. He seriously doesn’t have a clue. Jongdae lets out a bitter laugh. “Hyung, I’m sorry” Jongin says, feeling apologetic. He really doesn’t understand. “It’s okay Jongin. It really is” Jongdae says. It isn’t really. “I wish I did. I really do. I am sorry hyung” Jongin starts worriedly. He knows Jongdae isn’t lying but he really can’t place him in his head.

“I had my chance in high school Jongin. Sehun is a lucky guy. You take good care of him okay? You don’t want Haneul beating you up. She hits like a dude” Jongdae says with a shaky laugh. “High school?” Jongin asks, paling a little. Could Jongdae hyung be the same... “Drink loads of water Jongin-ah. And take care of yourself because hyung won’t be around forever” Jongdae says with a smile. His eyes start to glisten with tears and he leaves behind a stunned Jongin.

He takes refuge in the fire exit. He sits by the stairs, trying to stop the tears from flowing. This isn’t what he expected. This isn’t closure. This brings him no relief and the burden on his shoulders don’t lighten like they say in stories do. A warm hand encloses him and he lets himself be selfish for a change. “I saw everything” Haneul says quietly. “I am sorry” he apologises. This apology is late and terribly mistimed. But better late than never.

“You don’t have to say anything” she tells him, his back. He hiccups and she offers him her water bottle. He drinks in silence. He supposes this was bound to happen sometime. He needed to get it over with. It’s done. Dealt with. It’s over. It’s a bitter end he didn’t expect but now the air is clear between them. “Jongdae?” Haneul calls out gingerly. He turns to her. She kisses him softly on his lips and he sighs. “I need time” he tells her. “I know “she replies. No more words are said. Nothing more needs to be said.

Words will come later. Thoughts will flow in like a flood once Jongdae realises he implications of what has happened and lives through its consequences. But the first step to solving a problem is admitting you have it. Just like Baekhyun says.

 

 

 

“What do you think?” Jongdae asks. “You look cute” Taeyeon says. “I don’t see it” Baekhyun cuts in before Jongdae can thank her. “No one asked you” Jongdae retorts. “Excuse you, I am going to be the best man on your wedding. What happened to bros before hoes?!” Baekhyun protests. “Taeyeon control your boyfriend!” Jongdae whines. “He called me a hoe. I’m totally going to break up with him so you can control him yourself” Taeyeon jokes. “Does no one love me anymore?” Baekhyun asks dramatically. “Nope” Jongdae and Taeyeon chorus in unison.

“Pfft. I am just going to go over Sehun’s instagram then. Atleast he takes pictures for me” Baekhyun says, faking a broken heart. Sehun is on a trip with Jongin to Hong Kong and has been taking photos every day, just to make Baekhyun jealous. Jongdae smiles. Issues with Jongin were resolved messily and with a fair amount of drama. But now they are good friends again. It’s a little awkward considering how Sehun still doesn’t know. Maybe Jongin will tell him someday. If not, the past is the past.

Jongdae smoothens out an invisible wrinkle on his shirt. He’s taking Haneul out on a proper date today. It’s been two months since they kissed. It’s been forever because of the drama between and then Haneul being away for a training program. He misses her. He’ll never admit it to her though. He probably won’t have to say a thing. He smiles at the thought of meeting her after nearly a month.

“Jongdae’s I’m-in-love-with-my-girlfriend smile is so cute. Baekhyun learn something!” Taeyeon chastises light heartedly. “Women really do change once you start dating them” Baekhyun says to no one in particular. “Just you wait for the 100th day anniversary to kick in. Then Haneul will be telling you how your t-shirts are ugly and how curly hair doesn’t look good on you” he tells Jongdae. “In Taeyeon’s defence, your t-shirts are really ugly” Jongdae grimaces as he almost gets hit by one of his t-shirts. “Go, or else you’ll be late” Taeyeon reminds him. “Yeah!” Jongdae rushes out. He comes back when he realises that he forgot to take his keys and finds the two of them kissing. Maybe being locked out would have been better, he thinks to himself as he leaves silently.

He tries to moderate his pace but his feet walk faster of their own accord. The road crossings add much needed pauses but they leave him restless. The Shack is way too far and the hands of his clock don’t move fast enough. He reaches twenty minutes before the time set to meet Haneul. “Someone’s excited” Minseok comments teasingly. “Shut up hyung” Jongdae says with a smile. Minseok shakes his head and brings Jongdae a spiked mocktail on the house. The poor boy needs it to calm his nerves. Haneul after a trip to anywhere is a whirlwind of information that no one has the strength to keep up with.

“She’s here” Minseok tips Jongdae off. Jongdae turns just in time to see Haneul walk in through the door. She’s wearing a white dress which lays emphasis on her new tan. Her hair is streaked a light straw brown as opposed to the dark brown it was, giving her an exotic look. She waves to some of the people who recognise her before she runs into Minseok and gives him an excited hug. Jongdae pouts. Why isn’t she looking his way? He sees Minseok point in his general direction and Jongdae pretends to be interested in the napkins on the table. If she didn’t look at him first, he won’t either.

He mentally counts down. Should he turn and acknowledge her? A little later? How about now? He abruptly gets up and turns just in time to have her bump into his chest. “Owww” Haneul winces in pain. His chest got her square in the nose. “Sorry” Jongdae apologises sheepishly. “I’m ok” she assures him. “Do over?” he asks. “Yeah” she agrees instantly. She takes a few steps back and Jongdae turns around. He calls out a countdown and he turns on one.

“Jongdae!” Haneul yells excitedly. “Haneul!” he replies in the same tone. The entire restaurant turns to look at the two as Haneul runs into his arms and he twirls her around. He places her gently on the floor and kisses her. Cheers break out in the restaurant as people applaud the sentiment of the moment. Haneul breaks away shyly and Jongdae is pretty sure this is the only time he has seen her flustered.

“I missed you” Haneul breathes out, a little short of air after that kiss. In the background, Minseok yells at everyone to go about their own business so these two get some privacy. “I missed you too” Jongdae replies. “Next time, you have to come with me” Haneul insists. “Okay” Jongdae agrees. The idea of discovering new things with Haneul is a pleasant prospect. “Oh my god, I have so many things to tell you!” she starts, dragging Jongdae towards the counter to get coffee. Jongdae lets himself be pulled along. As long as it is with Haneul, he’s fine with anywhere they go.

 

 

 

 

天堂在随时和随地

The End