Part IV

Alyeska

 

 

Part IV

 

“So Baekhyun has a test and Chanyeol is spending the night with Dara” Jongdae says apologetically as Haneul opens the door. “I know. They just texted me. Ditchers. You still up for the movie?” Haneul asks. “Sure. Don’t really feel like studying” Jongdae says with a grimace. He likes math but not all the freaking time. He also might have messed up a test earlier today which he doesn’t want to dwell on. It’s a Saturday for crying out loud.

He walks into the one bedroom rented flat that Haneul lives in. It’s not her space and hence the fixtures are very plain, but they are customised in a way that Jongdae can only describe as ‘Haneul-like’.  The plain brown couch has been pulled out and is littered with cushions with abstract design  covers. The walls are painted plain white but small items here and there add colour to the room. A curtain of beads partitions the living room into a small sitting are and a kitchen area with a countertop. Her laptop sits on the couch, covered under a particularly large cushion with purple and black stripes. Jongdae almost sits on it, if not for Haneul’s high pitched scream. Her laptop is her precious baby and Jongdae does not judge her since that particular brand costs a lot.

There is a knock on the door that distracts them. Haneul hugs her laptop protectively and Jongdae shakes his head. He opens the door in order to find a dressed up Sehun who frowns at his presence. He looks immaculate. Except for the hair. Yeah there the kid looks like he could use some serious help. “Am I interrupting something?” Sehun asks, clearly not expecting to find Jongdae here. “Not really” Jongdae says. Sehun nods and walks in without invitation. He is one of Haneul’s close friends and doesn’t really need one. The brat walks up to Haneul and breaks into a rather childish pout.

“Help, please?” he asks in a way that Jongdae finds cute but will never admit to anyone because it is horribly embarrassing. Haneul sighs and whines but puts her laptop on the kitchen countertop and brings out tubes of hair product from her kitchen cupboard anyways. Sehun sits on one of his chairs and Haneul squeezes out a bit of product on her hands. She starts spreading it through his hair and Jongdae finds a place to sit and watch.

“So... going out tonight?” Haneul asks. “Yeah. I got tickets to Kai’s dance show” Sehun tells her with a proud smile. “No way! I thought you weren’t going” she exclaims, mussing his hair. “I didn’t tell anyone. I am going to surprise Jongin. I got a backstage pass and everything” Sehun continues. “Nice!” Haneul encourages. She runs her hands through his hair and spikes it out in random places and it looks messier than before. Jongdae also admits that it looks y and something that Jongin will like. Sehun says something shyly and goes to run his hand through his hair but Haneul slaps it away.

“Thanks a lot Haneul. You are the best! You too Jongdae hyung!” Sehun beams. “I didn’t do anything” Jongdae says good naturedly. “And don’t worry. Jongin will like the surprise” he adds a moment later. Sehun looks like he can tackle Jongdae to the ground for that encouragement. He is a puppy just like Jongin is. But Haneul intervenes to ruin the moment. “Now off with you” Haneul says pushing him out of the door herself. “I want to watch a movie. You are messing up my plans!” she cries indignantly. “Watch a movie or make out with Jongdae hyung?” Sehun teases cheekily. “Why stop at making out?” Haneul winks at Jongdae who laughs at the rhetorical question. “Go! Or you will be late” she reminds the brat and Jongdae watches him hug Haneul and wave at him before leaving.

“Sorry. I can never say no to Sehun” Haneul apologises. “I can see why. He is disgustingly cute” Jongdae says with a grin. “Very. But you aren’t supposed to be complimenting competition” she says with a frown. “Competition?” Jongdae asks. “Don’t you like Jongin?” Haneul asks. “Not anymore, no” Jongdae lies. Jongdae still very much likes Jongin. His reappearance has only strengthened his feelings for the dancer. But Jongdae isn’t going to be chasing after castles in the sky. Besides, however grudgingly, he admits that Sehun is good for Jongin. He has tried to hate the boy. He may still feel bitter about Jongin but he does not feel any ill will towards Sehun.

“If you say so. Now movie time!” Haneul cheers excitedly. She bounces off to the extended couch and Jongdae follows. They start off with the laptop on Jongdae’s lap and Haneul sitting next to him but ten minutes into the movie, they end up lying on their stomachs and peering into the small screen, trying to follow Morgan Freeman’s explanations of the magic trick that the Four Horsemen have just pulled. The movie gets more interesting thirty minutes in and Jongdae leans on Haneul’s shoulder. He gets vaguely distracted by Haneul’s fragrance. It’s an exotic scent and something he is not familiar with. But it smells nice and Jongdae leans in closer as he gets absorbed in the movie. Haneul doesn’t mind the proximity, busy trying to figure out the mastermind behind the grand scheme.

 

 

-x-