Chapter 3

You Never Knew
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

But I never fully realized that I like the way she smiles, or the way she bites on her lip; the way she holds my hand just brings me to the edge.

Even when it's fake. Even when it's pretend. I knew I wanted her.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Spells, Charms, we got what you need! Hey you, young lad, doing bad on an exam? Want a higher grade, yes? Buy one of these, and hang it on your bag! How 'bout you, pretty lady? Want a better lovelife? Need an aphrodisiac? We've got it all here..."

 -

Yuri bit on her bar of ice cream harshly, the sweet dessert trickling down her chin. Although Jeshika, the older of the two, told her not to eat ice cream early in the morning, because it's bad for the stomach, Yuri couldn't care less. She didn't care whether she had an upset stomach, or a possible brain freeze from downing three ice cream bars in a row. She was pissed. Ever since she had agreed on this little 'deal' she made with the blonde, Jeshika kept sticking to her. And now even her bestfriend's voice can be heard from far away. Probably trying to earn a few more bucks. What a drag.

 

"Everyone wanted me to hold them, she said." Yuri bit her bottom lip in frustration, her steps hasty as the bell rang. 30 more minutes until the final bell. 30 more minutes until Kwon Seonsaengnim enters class.

 

"Everyone wanted me to hug them, she said." Tossing the stick into the empty sidewalk, she puffed her cheeks before breathing in deeply, air through her teeth. She couldn't bear to be bothered by anyone. Not by Jeshika. Not by Kwon Seonsaengnim. Practicing her smile once again, she entered the campus, her heart beating quick against her chest. 

 

-

 

"You, yes I'm talking to you, Sir!" Taeyeon ushered a junior student into her "fort" by the alleys in the campus. Everyone knows she was acting a bit too "hippie". A little much "voodoo" for her age. Like she has turned to the dark side. Rumours had spread about her claiming she was a witch's granddaughter ever since she started her freshman year. Now being a senior, Taeyeon knew that no one would ever know about anything. No matter how much they guess that she really is an effective witch, or ing about how much of a phony and a gold digger she actually is.

 

Because the more they try to think, the more they wont understand.

 

Because only a dimwit thinks he knows it all when he doesn't know anything at all.

 

Because Taeyeon knew that no one knew her after all. Except, except for one person.

 

"M-me?" The junior gulped, pointing to himself. No one dared say no to Taeyeon. Scared to get sick or puke bugs out. Clearly everyone was taking their chances to avoid the risk as much as possible.

 

"Yes, yes you, handsome man." Taeyeon groaned inwardly at the thought of her flirting with a junior to market her goods. "Kim Heechul, right?" She smirked pleased with the reaction she got from the pretty boy.

 

"How d-did y-you know?" The man  stuttered as he took a step backward. "You're a witch! She's a witch!" Heechul shouted to no one, his eyes popping out of its sockets.

 

"Hold your horses young man." Taeyeon pushed the table in front away from her as she approached the boy. "Who would want to help you in here, huh? This is Taeyeon's fort, you son of a- alright, let's start again, Kim Heechul." Taeyeon forced her best smile, as she brushed off the man's shirt and fixed his collar.

 

"Welcome to Taeyeon's shop. We've got loads of charms for you. And I've got the perfect one for your skills. Let's see," Taeyeon began flipping through her pocket notebook. "Studies, failure of a child, Physical capability, not bad but not good either. You're a mediocre loser!" Taeyeon squealed happily as she dug through her backpack.

 

"Now this here, is a special case." Taeyeon showed him a black mirror, its edges chipped. "This thing here would make you real smart in History. You've never passed Mr. Han's exam right?" Taeyeon smiled as she earned herself a nervous nod from Heechul. "I know, I know tough luck out there, bud. Now see here," she said showing him the backside. "There is a secret compartment here, for you to 'store your knowledge' if you know what I mean. A real charm huh?-"

 

"Stop toying with juniors Tae." Taeyeon groaned as a certain tanned woman smacked her in the head. 

 

"Ouch Yul, can't you be more gentle with me? And you know I'm making money here." Taeyeon bit her lip before continuing. "So Heechul-ssi, the mirror?" 

 

"Seriously," Yuri argued, flicking Taeyeon in the forehead. "A mirror? For a guy? Soon you'll be turning him to be one of the gals, Taeng."

 

"Hey, he's a flower boy. Flower boys need mirrors, right, Heechul-ssi?" Taeyeon turned her attention back to the startled junior, her face showing a wide grin.

 

Yuri walked towards the boy, her expression cold. "This place isn't for the likes of you. Now shoo, you wussy pretty boy. And don't be fooled by this midget."

 

"Yah, what was that for, Yul? With that money I can buy myself this game from Nintendo! And I can- I could even- arrghg!" Taeyeon groaned as she punched Yuri repeatedly in the chest. Reaching up to strangle her bestfriend since forever, her cold pale skin touched warm tanned ones.

 

"Hey you are burning up, Yul." Taeyeon's expression softened as she sat Yuri down on her chair and dug for aspirin in her backpack.

 

"I'm not done talking, Taeng." Yuri felt her head getting heavy. Must be from the ice cream. Or her studies. Or Mr. Kwon. Or-or Jeshika. Swallowing the pill, her face conforted into a bitter edpression, she continued. "Lying isn't gonna get you anywhere, Taeng-you know that."

 

"You know I can't have the real stuff here, bud." Taeyeon was frantic. "They would know about my granny! You understand right? And besides," Taeyeon puffed her lips." They were the one who started ruining my life with their rumours- which is partly true.I'm just paying them in kind by being a witch. Or a . Whatever you wanna call it."

 

Yuri looked at the time, her eyes were getting blurry. 15 more minutes. 15 minutes until Mr. Kwon shows up. She didn't know if she could still remember the year Korea was colonized. Or the amount of electrons an atom in the periodic table must have. 

 

Standing up, she tried to balance herself on the nearby wall. It's not gonna work. Her vision blurred, her face blushing, she struggled to get back to class.

 

Taeyeon caught up to Yuri before encircling her short arms around her waist. "Take care bud." Taeyeon breathed out. "If its too much- Mr. Kwon, or even the Jeshika, just call me and I'll deal with them." Yuri looked at her, her face showing confusion. "Hey I heard, from a source. Pretty gossipy, that girl. Not that I'm being nosy or anything." Pushing Yuri off, Taeyeon shouted, "It's your fault for being so smart! Who gets a cold in the middle of spring, huh? You know what they say, stupid people dont get sick! Relax a little bud!"

 

And Yuri left, Taeyeon standing behind. She knew she was hapoy she got Yuri as a friend. She knew no one else could understand her. No one else could know her, the things she had to keep. That's why she would help her. No matter what. 

 

'Lying is not gonna get you anywhere, Taeng." Yuri's words rang back to her ears. With a soft sigh, she went back into her fort. She decided to skip two more classes for the day.

 

-

 

"Alright class, turn your textbook on page 213. In this sentence, we could see..." Jessica rested her chin on her hand, her elbow propped up on the chair. At that moment, she didn't seem to care that Mr. Kwon was teaching English in his smooth, smooth voice. Or that propping your elbows on the table would make it hard and rough and dark. Even Yuri not listening to her, even when what she had said, what she had done was clearly out of concern became a passing thought. She twirled on the ends of her hair. Another habit her mom always told her to stop doing.

 

Mr. Kwon didn't notice she wore her skirt a bit shorter today. At least by half an inch. And she wasn't pleased at all.

 

Crossing a leg on top of the other, her skirt hiked up a little bit more showing skin. Mr. Kwon stopped talking as he eyed her. She smiled. Now she's got his attention.

 

"Jessica-ssi?" Mr. Kwon called as he adjusted his glasses, the rim sitting perfectly on the bridge of his nose. "Can you please discuss what I have told the class right now?"

 

"I'm sorry, seonsaengnim" Jessica tried to use her highest tone possible. Wikipedia said so after all. Flirting 101. "I didn't catch that. Can you teach it again?"  Giving her skirt a little tug, she saw her teacher's eyes wander while the rest of the class were stiffling their laughter.

 

"Jessica-ssi. That is not the proper uniform code." Mr. Kwon spoke calmly. "A woman's skirt should be below or at least right above the knee. Nothing shorter."

 

"If you've got it, flaunt it." Jessica said confidently, her eyes showing its famous glint. The class didn't hold back as laughter erupted from the crowd. Mr. Kwon's face turned crimson as he adjusted his tie and asked for himself to be excused. He didn't come back. 

 

Jessica smiled as she bit her lip. Soon, Mr. Kwon would be hers. And it wont even take so much effort.

 

-

 

A hand grabbed Jessica's wrist as she was walking to the main hall of the university. Turning around, she saw Tiffany, her eyes sharp and piercing. "What the is wrong with you, Jessica!" She spat in English. "Flaunt it? What would you flaunt? For goodness sake, Jessica you don't know men! He might be having lewd thoughts about you right now!"

 

"You don't know Kwon seonsaengnim, Tiff." Jessica snapped her wrists away from Tiffany's grip. She never did that to her. "So don't act like you do."

 

"Jess- I at least know that more than-"

 

"So don't try to in my life." Jessica continued to stare hard at Tiffany.

 

"So don't try to stick yourself where you don't belong, Hwang Miyoung. This is the last time I'll let you insult him." Tiffany hung her head low, her fists clenched as she tried to bite back the tears threatening to spill down her cheeks. Jessica changed. Jessica wasn't the person she knew. 

 

Turning on her heel, Jessica continued, "And if you are sick of being my best friend, I wont force you anymore Tiffany. I wont. Now excuse me, I've got someone to meet."

 

Tiffany watched as Jessica left.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter