Chapter IV

Paper Heart

Sehun and Jongin left the apartment building and walked down a block before they reached a 24 hour corner store. The two spoke of how they missed one another and how happy they were to be together again. Sehun missed his best friend, and his best friend missed him as well. Jongin told him of how the food was and how it took him a while to get accustomed to not having Korean food all the time like back at home. 

“When did you get close to Aejin?” Jongin asked him. He wasn’t sure when it exactly happened, but he had a general idea of when Sehun grew closer to her. 

“It was before her parents passed away,” Sehun told him, as he picked out the makeup remover that Aejin liked. “It was pretty sudden when her parents passed away. We were good friends and then you were getting ready for your graduate program and I was starting the cafe so we both were busy with life. There wasn’t much time for her to adjust to life, so I helped her out to the best of my ability.” The two were browsing for contact solution and contact cases for her. “Then the next thing I know, it’s three years later and she’s doing fine raising Daeho and I do my part of helping her to the best of my ability,” he looked at Jongin and the male could see the sympathy in his eyes.

“Do you like her?” Jongin asked him, unsure of how it sounded to his friend. 

“I do,” Sehun said. The two of them are now picking snacks out for the guys back at the apartment. “But-- the two of us have this weird agreement to not further things,” he told him, unsure of how to tell him. “It was complicated, but now we’re passed it. It’s just us having one another close and being happy and better as friends.” Sehun shrugged his shoulders as if to tell Jongin that was how life was sometimes. 

Jongin hummed in response to his friend, unsure of how to answer or reply to him. It must to have the girl you like right at your fingertips but not want to do anything romantic. Maybe there was something to do with Aejin’s parents leaving and her taking care of Daeho. 

The two pay for their items and leave the store and make the walk back to the apartment. When they enter Jongin’s home, they are greeted to the sight of Aejin taking a shot with Kyungsoo and Baekhyun. Sehun stares at his friends as he takes off his shoes and makes his way into the living room where he sees Chanyeol tucked in nicely on the ground with a pillow on his head and a mattress that they found in Jongin’s closet. 

“Why are you drinking again, Ae?” Sehun asked, sitting next to her on the sofa. He handed her the things she needed for the night and she took it with a smile on her face. She opened her contact case and her solution to take her contacts off since they began to irritate her eyes. 

“I’m not sure,” she said giggly. “I woke up to Kyungsoo and Baek laughing and I wanted to join,” she told him as she took out her contacts drunkenly with the help of Sehun holding her case for her. 

Sehun gave the two males a hard stare before he turned to look at Aejin who was closing her contact case with great struggle. “My goodness, Ae,” Sehun sighed as he helped her close her case. Aejin gave a sheepish smile at him. He couldn’t be mad or annoyed at her. She was far too cute for him to be upset at.

Aejin began taking her eyelashes off, “Sehun,” she said. “Can you hold my eyelashes, please?” Sehun held his palm open for her and she placed her lashes in his palm. “Thank you so much for being so helpful to me tonight,” she said, grateful to have him in her life. 

Jongin came out with a few shirts and sweats for his friends to change into and placed them on the sofa. “I gave you a change of clothes, too, Aejin,” Jongin told her. He was thanked with a slur of gratitude from the now drunk again girl. 

Kyungsoo and Baekhyun were eating their snacks as Aejin was taking her makeup off before she laid on the sofa with Sehun next to her head. Sehun looked at her and saw her smeared makeup she had on her face still. He shook his head and placed her eyelashes and contact case on the table before he took her makeup remover and gently took off her makeup she had left. 

“Se,” Aejin mumbled, “what are you doing?” Her eyebrows furrowed. 

“You left so much makeup on your face, Ae” he told her, still wiping away. Aejin’s face relaxed as she allowed Sehun to help her with her makeup. “Do you want to change?” He asked, to which she nodded her head and slowly sat up. Sehun grabbed a pair of sweats and a t-shirt for her to wear and helped her to the bathroom where he told her he would check in on her in a few minutes and to call for help if needed. 

“Kyung and Baek,” Jongin called out, capturing the attention of the two males eating and drinking on the floor. “Help me lay out the rest of the mattress for you guys,” he said, pulling out two more folded mats that would fit the rest of the living room floor. 

They could hear Sehun checking in on Aejin who sounded like she was struggling changing her clothes. She let out a light laugh when Sehun opened the door after she told him to come in. 

“Se,” she said loudly, “I need help.” A laugh followed as she looked at him struggling to her shorts. She turned to her side and stuck her hip out for him to help her. She leaned an arm against Jongin’s bathroom sink and had Sehun help her shorts. Sehun held the oversized sweats open for her legs to fit through the holes as Aejin wobbly stepped in them, one hand on the island and another on Sehun. He helped her put a shirt on before helping her her black top off. “Thanks, Se!” She said picking up her clothes and walking out of the bathroom with Sehun right behind her before she fell on the floor. 

Jongin, Kyungsoo and Baekhyun had the ground with the mattress, a few blankets and pillows for them. When Aejin turned towards the kitchen, she saw the three of them around the island eating snacks and drinking more. She glanced at the clock and saw it was only two in the morning and thought the night was still young. Placing her clothes on the sofa, she turned to look at Sehun and whispered to him: “I don't want to wear these sweats.” A pout played at her lips and she looked like her old self. Natural face and cutesy. “Can I take them off?” 

Sehun glanced at the three males who were preoccupied with their snacks and drinks and back at her. A sigh escaped his lips as he gave in since Jongin’s shirt came below her mid thigh. “As long as you sit and don’t move your legs too much,” he told her. “And no more drinking for you.” 

“Yes, Se,” she said, taking off her pants and feeling more comfortable than before. Sehun and Aejin made their way towards the kitchen and Aejin sat in one of the stolls beside Jongin who turned to look at her. He found her to be beautiful, just as he expected. He gave her a smile and Aejin leaned into Jongin while Sehun went to change. She found comfort in his scent. She found him familiar and comforting-- maybe she was drunk and she needed someone to lean on, but she felt calmness in her heart. 

“You can sleep in my room, Aejin,” Jongin told her softly. “I’ll sleep in the living room with the guys and you take my bed.” 

Aejin took her head off of his shoulder and looked at him with her brows furrowed. “Are you sure?” She asked, leaning her arm on the table. 

“Positive,” Jongin said, leaning closer to her. He couldn’t look away from her eyes, there was so much warmth and light in them. 

Sehun came up beside Kyungsoo and watched the two talk to themselves. By the time it was almost four in the morning, Aejin was tired from the night. She looked to Sehun and he knew she was done. Her eyes were droopy, and her lips were pouting. “You tired, Ae?” He asked, to which she nodded her head. 

“She’s going to crash in my room,” Jongin said. Sehun raised an eyebrow at the male. “I’m going to sleep with you guys in the living room.” 

Sehun stuck his tongue out and hummed a response. Jongin and Sehun walked Aejin to the room and helped her get settled in. “Wake me up so I can be ready for Daeho to come home, Se,” she looked at Sehun who was sitting on the bed and helping her get comfortable. 

“I will,” he told her, his voice was soft. “I’ll take you home in the morning and we can get ready for Daeho to come home. We’ll get food for you too.” Sehun moved a strand of hair out of her face and Aejin smiled before she began drifting to sleep. “Night, Ae,” he said quietly before leaving her alone in Jongin’s room. 

*

The next morning, Sehun and Aejin leave Jongin’s apartment around ten when the rest of the guys (including Chanyeol) are still sound asleep. The two walk the short ten minutes to Sehun's car and the two are on their way back to Aejin’s place. 

“I’m so hungover,” Aejin said, leaning back in the car seat. 

Sehun let out a chuckle. “Did you have fun though?” He asked her. 

“I did,” a smile on her lips. “It was nice to hang out with them again. But I do like the quiet nights at home,” she said. 

“That’s good to hear you had fun, Ae,” Sehun glanced at the girl and saw her with her eyes closed. “Do you want to eat now or later?” He asked. 

“Later. I’m probably going to cook for Daeho and I,” she turned her head to look at Sehun, “Do you want to join us for dinner or are you going to be busy at the cafe tonight?” 

“I’m not sure yet,” he said. “I’ll let you know after I go home and shower.” 

“Okay, just text me then so I can make enough food,” Aejin closed her eyes again as the sun began peaking through the buildings. Her body felt heavy and she was still tired. She wanted to go home and take a warm shower and lay on her bed for a while before Daeho came home. 

Sehun parked outside of her apartment building and Aejin got out of the car, saying a quick “thank you” before heading inside her building. Sehun stayed until she disappeared past the doors. 

*

After Aejin finished her shower, she cleaned up around the apartment before she went to the store for groceries for the week. Daeho was going to be dropped off by Jihoon’s parents later in the day, so she decided it would be a good idea for her to do her errands today. 

Aejin was browsing the grocery store with a cart full of groceries for the week when she heard someone calling her name. She glanced up and saw Jongin waving and making his way over towards her. She stopped and looked at him and felt her cheeks burning up. She didn’t expect to run into him so soon-- especially after waking up in his bed and with his clothes on. 

“I didn’t expect to bump into you,” he said almost out of breath by the time he reached her. He had a wide grin on his face and looked at her cart. “How are you feeling?” He asked her. 

Aejin stared at him, thinking he looked different from last night, but that he was still handsome. “I-I’m okay. A little hungover but I’m fine,” she said with a small smile. “Thanks for helping take care of me last night,” she said shyly, not able to meet his eyes. 

Jongin rubbed the back of his neck and let out a chuckle, “No problem, Aejin. It wasn’t too much. I just wanted to make sure you were enjoying your time since you came out for my welcome back.” He saw Aejin’s cheeks start to turn a light pink and he smiled a little wider than he already was. He let out a small, awkward cough and asked if she would need help taking her groceries back to her apartment since he had his car parked in the parking ramp close by. 

Aejin hesitated as she looked down at her cart. “I’m not finished shopping yet so that seems like an inconvenience for you,” she told him, looking down at his basket he was carrying with a few drinks and a variety of easy meals for him to eat. “I was going to pick out a few more things for the next week or so.” 

“Don’t worry about it!” Jongin told her, “I’m not doing anything so I’ll be more than happy to take you home so it’s easier than you carrying the grocery back.” He really wanted to spend time with her today, and he was doing his best to make sure he could. 

Aejin bit her bottom lip before she agreed to have Jongin take her home with her groceries. She was pushing her cart with Jongin close by her side as the two made small talk. “Do you,” she started looking at him hesitantly. “Do you want to join us for dinner since you’re taking me home?” 

Jongin’s eyes widened at her question, taken aback by the sudden suggestion of having him over at her apartment for dinner. “I--” 

“Sehun might join, too,” she told him. “He might stop by for dinner so I’ll just cook extra for all of us to eat.” She wasn’t sure what to say to him when trying to make the situation less awkward. 

Jongin’s attention perked up at the mention of his best friend's name. Him coming over to dinner? Before his thoughts could fully process, his mouth spoke. “Yeah, that sounds nice.” Aejin gave him a smile and all of his thoughts washed away. Sehun told him bits last night and he wasn’t doing anything more than accepting her invitation to dinner. It wasn’t wrong of him to do so, right? 

*

Jongin parked his car outside of Aejin’s apartment building and helped her with her bags. “You can bring your groceries up to my apartment and not leave them in your car,” she told him with a smile. “I don’t mind you leaving it in our fridge or freezer-- or whatever you prefer to keep it.”

Jongin grabbed his two bags of groceries with him into her building. Aejin lived in a new building in the nice part of the city. She was only a few blocks from Sehun’s cafe and most likely close to the kindergarten that Daeho attends. Aejin led him towards the elevator where she pressed the button to go up to the sixth floor. The two rode the elevator in silence for a few moments before they reached her floor. Aejin got out first and walked towards her apartment where she put in her code. Aejin took off her shoes and made her way towards the kitchen before returning to Jongin to take the bags from him.

“I’ll go find a new pair of slippers for you to wear,” she told him with a smile. “Make yourself comfortable!” She yelled from the kitchen. Jongin took off his shoes and placed them neatly by the other shoes. Jongin glanced around the apartment, it was bigger than he expected-- maybe because he hadn’t realized that this was the apartment that her parents bought for all of them to live in. He saw pictures of Daeho, her parents, and her placed neatly on the book shelf. Daeho had his toys neatly stored in a corner in the living room, a small tent for him to play in and a small, personal bookshelf for him. Their apartment was cozy and it felt very homey. He enjoyed it. Jongin heard Aejin’s slippers on the floor and turned his head towards her direction. She changed into an oversized t-shirt and had her hair up in a messy bun. In her hand she held out a pair of white slippers still wrapped in plastic. 

“Here you go,” she had a big smile on her face. It seemed like she was more comfortable in her home with Jongin. “I hope these fit you.” 

Jongin took them from her with a smile on his face. “Thank you,” he breathed. 

“I’ll be in the kitchen starting dinner. You can watch T.V or join me in the kitchen. Daeho is supposed to be home soon so you’ll most likely be occupied when he returns,” a laugh escaped her lips and he found her it so nice to hear. “I told Sehun you were coming over and he said he might drop by if he gets done at the cafe early tonight. So feel free to stay as long as you want.” Aejin the t.v. for Jongin to watch and left the remote on the table. 

After putting on the slippers Aejin gave him, he walked into the kitchen and saw Aejin with a cute, pink bunny apron on. She had put the groceries away and started on making dinner-- a soup for Aejin to eat. Aejin glanced up from her cutting board and saw him standing there. “Come and sit,” she told him, gesturing to the island with stools to sit on. “Do you want something to drink? We have water, apple juice, orange juice, and I think that’s it.” She washed her hands and grabbed a cup for Jongin. 

“I’ll take some apple juice,” he told her. He watched Aejin pour him a cup of juice and place it in front of him. He said a shy thank you and watched her as she continued to cook. He cleared his throat before he began talking. “What do you do for work, Aejin?” He asked. 

Aejin glanced up at him momentarily before she went back to her cutting board. “I work not too far from here as a financial analyst,” she told him. “I was very fortunate to get into the company right out of college so I’m very thankful for it. What about you? I’m assuming you found a job already?” 

“I did. I got hired as a software developer before I came back. So I’ll be starting next week.” He took a sip of his juice. 

“Oh that’s super exciting! Are you adjusting well coming back home?” There was something that made his heart beat faster when she said home for some reason. He knew she meant Korea, but he couldn’t help but feel a little warm tingle inside. She made things sound so warm all the time. She gave off such a beautiful presence, a peaceful one that made him feel at ease. 

Before Jongin could answer her, the doorbell rang and Aejin went to answer it, leaving him alone in the kitchen. He turned his body and watched as she touched the screen and saw an older lady tell Aejin that Daeho was here. She said a polite thank you and opened the door for Daeho to come in.