Chapter I

Paper Heart

The fall wind blew around the city, giving it a chilly atmosphere for the people outside. The sun warmed up the people which seemed to add a smile on their slightly cold faces. A girl with her ebony colored hair ran through the city with light steps. She apologized as she bumped into people along the way with her light voice.

She stopped running once she saw the elementary school ahead of her. A smile graced it’s way onto her face as she began to walk with her back straight and her head high. She adjusted her purse on her shoulder and fixed her light coat as she appeared closer to the building. Her fingers found their way to her head as she fixed her hair that was displaced from her workout.

“Aejin!” Her ears perked up at the sound of her name. “Aejin noona!” Turning her head towards the gate, she saw who she was looking for: her younger brother who stood with a wide grin with his two friends at either side of him.

“Hi, Soo Yun, Jihoon,” she smiled at his two friends who had their lips curled up in a bright smile. “Are you ready to go?” Aejin asked.

Daeho nodded his head and said his goodbye’s to his friends before he made his way to his sister who held her right hand out for him to take. “Are you going to work, Noona?” Glancing up at his sister he saw her shake her head. “Where are you going then?”

“We’re going home,” her lips tugged into a pretty smile. Aejin looked at her Daeho and saw his tiny lip curled into his own smile.

“Are we doing anything today then, noona?” Daeho asked as the duo walked up the hill to get to their apartment singing songs together with wide smiles on their faces. “Is it just for today that you’re not working?”

“Yep,” she said. Her light brown eyes seemed to glisten with a hint of happiness and sadness at the same time. “It’s a special day today, that’s why.”

“It’s umma and appa’s birthday, that’s why!” Daeho stopped walking which made Aejin stop. She looked at the boy beside her and couldn’t help but smile. “Are we getting a cake again?” He asked while jumping up and down discreetly knowing how his sister didn’t like it when he acted like that out in public.

“Yep,” she replied, “And you get to pick the cake!”

Aejin saw Daeho’s eyes widen with glee. His small, cherry pink lips turned into the biggest smile ever and how his body could no longer contain the happiness as he pulled Aejin’s hand while he walked in front of her with his backpack moving side to side with his steps and how his dark brown hair flew with the light breeze that continuously blew. He was an exact replica of her father in his younger days, besides his big, chocolate brown eyes he and Aejin had inherited from their mother, he looked just like him.

She felt a prick in her heart as she followed Daeho to their favorite bakery they frequently visited when Aejin had extra money to use after paying all of the expenses. She was only twenty-three but she felt as if she was thirty five with a six year old child. Daeho should have his parents with him, not his oldest sister following him around. But today was their mother’s birthday-- or you could say it was their death anniversary. It's been three years and Aejin had to admit that it was hard. Especially with Daeho being only three at the time and her only twenty. She was in her third year of college when her parents passed. Unfortunately, they had no remaining family meaning Aejin had to find a way to school and a job while taking care of Daeho. For the first two months, Aejin had relied on their kind neighbor who watched Daeho when she went to university and then to her job until it was seven in the evening then she would go and pick him up from their neighbor and bathe him.

This is their first year with no one and it was a little rocky, but the school year began a month ago Daeho was getting along well.. Thankfully Aejin’s schedule worked out this year, making dropping and picking him off easier.

“Ae, we’re here,” Daeho’s voice echoed in Aejin’s ears, making her snap out of her thoughts. Aejin pushed the door open and Daeho entered first with her following. He made his way to the display case where they had their pastries.

“Hello,” a cheerful voice said, the kitchen door opening as she walked out. “Oh! Hi Aejin,” a bright smile appeared on her face as she met eyes with Aejin. “Hi Daeho!” She peered from behind the counter and waved at Daeho who shyly waved back before placing his attention to the different cakes again. “He looks so much bigger than the last time you guys were here,” she said as Aejin stood at the counter with her wallet in her hand.

“Because they seem to be getting bigger and bigger everyday,” Aejin said sadly, looking at her younger brother who had his eyes on the cake case. “Anything new here, Sora?” She asked.

“There is a taro cupcake and a new green tea cake,” Sora said, showing her the new items displayed on the racks.

“Aejin noona, I found it!” Daeho exclaimed with excitement while jumping up and down as he pointed to a small, round six inch cake decorated with light blue icing and topped with seven blueberries with powdered sugar. It was plain but cute and it made Daeho smile so she nodded her head and Sora began to box the cake up in the cafe’s cute, pastel colored striped box with a white bow on top. Then she repeated the process again after placing a few cupcakes and slices of cake in a bigger one. Before Aejin could say anything, Daeho gasped upon seeing the box being placed on the counter. “Is that for us, noona?” He asked Sora who smiled at him and nodded her head.

“Sora,” Aejin whined.

“You’ve been a loyal customer for two years always coming back here for any occasion. Plus Daeho likes seeing so much sweets,” she smiled at Aejin. “It’s on the house,” she added. “Plus, you know Sehun has a thing for you,” a playful smile played on her lips as she looked at Aejin’s cheeks flush in a red color. She knew that Sehun, her best friend, had a minor crush on her. She knew that throughout the years of him helping her out, that they’ve grown very close. She was thankful for his company and assistance-- most importantly their friendship that they had. But she cherished him to a point where she didn’t want to risk their relationship-- even if it meant keeping him where he was in her life. She knew better than to take him out of that barrier. 

“Fine,” Aejin grumbled while taking out money for her small cake while Daeho seemed happy about the fact that his Friday seemed so special today. Sora took the money and placed it in the cash register. She took a cookie with a wax paper over it and gave it to Daeho.

“Fridays are free cookie days for kids,” she said with a cheeky grin as she watched how Aejin glared at her as she took the boxes in her hand. When she turned around with Daeho following behind while holding the strap of her purse, she saw Sora’s boss walking through the door.

His eyes lit up once he saw Aejin and Daeho. “Hey you guys!” He said in a cheerful manner while making his way over towards the two.

“Sehun hyung!” Daeho let go of Aejin’s purse strap and ran to give Sehun a hug as the older male squatted down to be the same height as the younger boy.

“What’s up,  Dae?” Sehun ruffled his soft, dark hair and smiled at the boy.

“We’re buying a cake for umma and appa and Sora noona gave us a hundred cakes in the box!” Daeho told him while pointing to the box that Aejin had in her hands.

“Hi Sehun,” Aejin greeted with a smile that shook Sehun’s heart.

“Hey, Aejin,” he breathed. “Let me help you go home,” he stood up and took two steps and took the boxes from her hand and led the two out of the shop while telling Sora to take care of it for another ten minutes.

“You don’t have to do that, Sehun,” she told him, taking the top box from him.

Sehun glanced at Aejin who was holding the box in her hand with Daeho clutching onto her purse strap. “I want to do it,” he said with a smile before looking straight. “How’s life, Aejin?”

“It’s the same as always,” she told him with a smile. “We just saw you last Saturday,” she raised an eyebrow at him.

“I’m always here for you and Daeho, you know that right?” Sehun glanced her way with soft eyes. 

A small laugh escaped Aejin’s lips. “Of course I know you are, Se. You’ve always been there for me since day one.” She could recall their first meeting in college when she accidentally bumped into his back because she was looking at her book in her hand. It wasn’t the best, especially when she dropped her book as she fell to the ground with a light thud as she landed on her .

The trio stopped walking when they made it to the apartment building. Aejin took the bag of sweets from Sehun as she said her thank you for helping her carry the box to her home. Daeho gave Sehun a hug as the two made a promise to go to the park soon, making Aejin shake her head in amusement. The two walked into the building while waving at Sehun who stood outside with his wide smile making Aejin smile back.

“We should hurry so we can sing happy birthday to umma and appa, Dae,” Aejn said as she got into the elevator with Daeho in front of her.

The two still lived in the apartment that their parent’s bought when Aejin was in her third year of high school. It was a little pricey, but she somehow managed to pay the bills. She knew that if she lost the apartment, the two would have nowhere to go. Well they did have Sehun who offered his place for Aejin and Daeho if anything were to happen or if Aejin was going to be working an extra shift and couldn’t pick Daeho up then she’d have Sehun who would gladly take care of him.

Aejin was, and forever, will be thankful to Sehun for helping out with Daeho. She knew that he cared for her brother as much as she did and since the death of their parents, Sehun has never left their side.