Chapter III

Paper Heart

Sehun and Aejin entered the club with bright smiles on their faces. Sehun had his arms around Aejin’s shoulders as he brought her over towards the table where his friends were at. He turned his head to the side and saw that pretty smile of hers on and how her eyes were full of curiosity and excitement even with the amount of people in the building.  

“There over there!” He shouted at her, trying to communicate with her over the loud music. He pointed at the table in the corner with the group of four males sitting. Aejin followed his finger and nodded her head and saw Baekhyun laughing. A smile appeared on her face and she missed hearing their stupid jokes everytime Sehun invited her out with them. Of course she wouldn’t laugh at his jokes out loud, but she always thought it was funny to hear them joke around with their sarcasm and immature tricks. 

Sehun and Aejin arrived at the table making the guys look at the duo. Aejin saw Chanyeol with a small smile on his face and a raised eyebrow while looking at her. Aejin stuck her tongue out at him and laughed. She sat down by Kyungsoo and Baekhyun then smiled at everyone. She saw Sehun sit beside Jongin.

“Where have you been Aejin?” Baekhyun asked her, pouring her a shot from the many alcoholic beverages available. He handed her the shot and she drank it without a struggle. 

“I have my responsibilities,” she said, placing her drink on the table and taking a seat on the sofa. “I never really hung out with you guys either,” she told him with a light laugh. 

“It’s her first night after three years,” Sehun told everyone. “Don’t her up too much, she’s got a younger brother to watch out for tomorrow.” He took a sip of his own drink that the guys offered him. 

“I’ll be dancing,” Kyungsoo said, standing up from the cushioned booth. 

“I’m coming too!” Baekhyun stood up from his seat next to Aejin. Kyungsoo and Baekhyunlooked at everyone else who shook their head

"Not enough alcohol in my system for me to dance yet,” Sehun said before he took his drink from the table. 

“Let me get these guys situated first then I’ll come and join,” Chanyeol said, pouring Aejin another shot to drink. 

“Alright then,” Kyungsoo said, leaving with Baekhyun beside him. 

“Aejin,” Sehun said, capturing her attention away from the drink in her hand. “This is Jongin,” he introduced the male to her as the two moved closer together in order to talk. 

“Hello,” he greeted with a voice that made the guy in college seem so baby-like. “Nice to see you again, Aejin.” A smile was on his lips, but his voice seemed to contradict the feelings that it was supposed to carry. He was smug and he was charismatic. She didn’t remember him from college this way. 

“Nice to see you again, too, Jongin,” she smiled at him before Chanyeol handed him a shot to take. Aejin raised her glass up to him and took her shot with Jongin doing the same. 

“Drink two more before I leave,” Chanyeol told her and Sehun while he poured the drink in two shot glasses before getting up and leaving Sehun, Aejin and Jongin. Sehun shrugged his shoulder and sat next to Aejin. 

Aejin let out a laugh before she drank her shot from seeing Sehun make a face. Her face scrunched up when the liquor burned . Jongin downed both of his shots and saw Aejin’s face and took her last one for her. Aejin looked at him with wide eyes. Sehun poured the trio another round of shots. He was determined to let Aejin have fun tonight. She deserved it after working so hard and taking care of Daeho. The group gave enthusiastic cheers before they took a shot. 

Aejin smiled shyly at Jongin as he looked at her with a smile. Jongin didn’t remember Aejin looking the way she did a few years ago. He last saw her a few weeks before he left for school, but she was more to herself. Of course she would, given her situation and her newly bestowed responsibilities she was given. But she looked to be in a better place. 

“I like your outfit,” he told her. Sehun slouched back on the sofa and sipped his drink, watching the awkward Aejin take a compliment. 

Aejin moved her curled hair out of the way of her face and looked at Jongin, scrutinizing his appearance. He was handsome, he had those pretty brown eyes and full, light pink lips and his slightly tanned skin that made his features stand out. She saw his black v-neck shirt underneath his black leather jacket and she saw his muscles protruding from his chest and abs. “You’re very handsome,” she said to him, looking back at his face with her bright pink lips stretching into a smile. 

Jongin laughed at her straightforward comment. “Thanks,” he said, “You look beautiful.” He admired her cute eye smile even though she had makeup on, he knew he was a natural beauty with her small dimple on her left cheek. His eyes wandered down to her outfit and he admired her petite frame and her slight curves. She was beautiful and if they saw each other under different circumstances, he was sure as hell she would be two times prettier if she were to wear a sweater and pair of jeans. 

“How was it like in the US?” She asked him. Sehun looked at the male and was also interested in hearing his experience there. 

“It was fun,” Jongin said to them with a wide grin on his face. “I spent my time working on the program and I had the opportunity to intern at Google for a semester and then I spent the rest of my time dedicated to my program and to finish well.” Aejin and Sehun were wide eyed listening to Jongin recount his experience. Google was a huge company and for Jongin to be able to intern there was a big deal. 

“Wow,” Sehun said. “That’s amazing!” He exclaimed with so much excitement. “We have to catch up over food soon. Aejin and the guy and we can listen to your time in the US!” Sehun was excited, and maybe it was the alcohol hitting him, but he was excited to have his friend back. Sehun stood up and grabbed a bottle on the table and poured the three another round of shots. 

“Let's do it,” Jongin told him, taking his glass from the table. 

“Great! Let’s do it at my place next weekend,” he said. Sehun turned to look at Aejin, “You come and bring Daeho so he can eat some food with us, too,” he told her. Aejin smiled and told him that they would be over. 

“Let’s take a shot and go join the rest of them dancing,” Jongin said to them. The group took the shot before they left the comfort of the sofa and joined the rest of the group on the crowded dance floor. Aejin was holding Sehun as he followed Jongin in the crowd. Once the trio were in the middle of the dance floor, they found the rest of the guys dancing to the beat and began to join. 

Aejin let go of Sehun’s hand and began dancing with everyone. She swung her hips from side to side with a smile on her face as she let go of her knots and every other thought in her mind and began to enjoy herself as she became consumed in the music and began dancing to the beat just like what she used to do a few years back. She felt the liquor creeping up her body, making her warm as she continued to dance. 

Aejin felt someone dance from behind her and quickly spun around, ready to kick a ert in the shin (or higher) if she needed to. But she saw Jongin biting his bottom lip as a smirk as he grabbed her wrist and began to dance with her, showing off his fancy footwork and his hips movements. Aejin lets out a laugh as she joins him into dancing.

She looked at the other guys who were dancing with someone else. A smile appeared on her face as she placed the picture in her mind, keeping it in her memory. She saw Jongin with a wide smile, showing his perfect, pearly white teeth. 

Jongin was sure of a work of art. He was handsome and he was a good dancer and he was smart and ambitious as were the rest of the guys. Jongin was a bachelor who returned home and he was going to be successful-- she knew it. 

She looked at Sehun who had a smile on his face. The two met eyes and his lips curved upwards even more. Aejin thought he was attractive. She always thought that. Over the past three years, the two of them grew so close that she couldn’t imagine her life without him. She danced her way over towards him and held his hands. Sehun twirled her around and saw her bright smile. “Thank you for taking me out tonight,” she said as she looked at Sehun, the club lights illuminating his features. 

“No problem, Ae,” he told her, holding her waist. “You deserve a night out.” He was happy to see Aejin happy. He was happy to see all of his friends again and with his best friend home, he felt complete. 

As the group carried on their dancing, Aejin had asked Sehun if he wanted to return to their table and drink some more alcohol. Sehun nodded his head and told the group that Aejin wanted to drink more and he would be going back. The rest of the guys thought it was a great idea and decided to follow the small girl leading the group of guys back to their table. 

Aejin began pouring drinks for them after she told Sehun to check her phone in case Daeho had called for her to pick him up. She handed each of the guys a shot of liquor and they each thanked her with big, drunk smiles on their faces. She handed the glass to Jongin who lightly touched her fingers, making her blush. He looked up at her and said a quick thanks with a smug smile on his face. 

Aejin didn’t know why, but he was making her insides do small somersaults with his smile. Chanyeol yelled a loud ‘cheers’ for the group as they took their first shot together. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo sat beside Chanyeol and the three were in their own world. 

 

By the time the group left the club, Aejin was struggling to put her denim jacket on. Sehun had her purse across his chest with Kyungsoo helping him walk straight. Aejin felt someone help her hold her jacket as she put her arms through the holes. She let out a giggle and said a quick thanks. Aejin stumbles a bit, with Jongin catching her by the waist before she could fall. She looks up at him and he is taken aback by how pretty she looks under the lights of the city. He could see her small dimple and how pale her complexion is. Her hair falling below her shoulders and he thought that she was a pretty angel. 

“I’m hungry,” Chanyeol said. “Can we eat?” He whined with his lips forming a pout. 

“Yes we can,” Jongin turned to him. He ended up being one of the most sober one in the group. “What do you want to eat, Yeol?” Jongin asks, turning his attention to Aejin who is now leaning on him for support. 

“I want to eat food too,” Aejin says, pushing away from Jongin to look at Chanyeol. “What are we eating, Yeolie?” She asks, almost stumbling backwards. 

Sehun lets out a small gasp as he reaches out for Aejin. “Be careful, Ae,” he says as he watches Jongin pull her closer to him, firmly holding onto her waist. 

“Can we go eat some burgers or something?” Chanyeol asks. The group is now stopped on the sidewalk and trying to brainstorm where the closest burger joint is located. “Actually,” Chanyeol says, making the group look at him. “Can we get some street food?” He asks, changing his mind. 

“Okay,” Jongin nodded his head. “I know where to go. I haven’t been there since undergrad,” he told them as they walked a few blocks down to a small shop tucked in the corner of a busy street. 

Baekhyun lights up when he realizes where they are. “I missed this place!” He exclaimed. “We came here all the time in college when we were out late,” he looked at Chanyeol who had a dumb smile on his face as he followed the smaller male inside. Kyungsoo held the door open for Jongin and Aejin, who was now holding onto Jongin with a tight embrace and her head buried in his chest.  

“Thanks,” Jongin said to Kyungsoo as they passed the older male. Jongin placed Aejin in a chair and pushed her close to the table. Chanyeol had his head resting on the table while Sehun and Baekhyun were talking about their times in college when they would end up here in their drunken state while eating good food. Kyungsoo was telling the server their order of food and water as they were going to sober up. 

Aejin sat up in her chair as soon as the water arrived and she gratefully took a sip of the liquid, happy to be tasting something beside liquor. She glanced over at Sehun and asked for her phone to check to see if Daeho had called or texted her, to which Sehun told her that it was late and he was fine with Soo Yun and Jihoon. Aejins pink lips formed a pout as she realized Sehun was right and she was worrying too much. 

“How is your brother?” Kyungsoo asked softly, not sure if she would be open to talking about her brother to them. The guys would occasionally see Daeho and her at the cafe whenever they stopped by when they could. 

“He’s fine,” Aejin said softly. “He’s in kindergarten and he’ll already be seven in a few months,” a small smile appeared on her face.

“They grow up so fast,” Sehun said after taking a sip of his water. 

“It’s been so long since you’ve came out, Aejin,” Baekhyun said, looking at Aejin with a smile, “I’m happy you came out.” He was sincere and genuine when he told her that. Sehun updates them about how Aejin has been and how Daeho has been doing occasionally. The group knows that after her parents' passing, she lost contact with the majority of people she used to socialize with. They understood her reasoning behind doing so, but Sehun found a way to stay and help her. He was her best friend, she was one of the most important people in his life. 

“It’s been fun hanging out with you guys tonight,” she told them as she took another sip of water. She was still drunk and she could feel herself sobering up slowly, but she was still, very much, intoxicated. 

Chanyeol lifted his head up when he smelt the food coming their direction-- fried chicken and korean pancakes, what they always ordered during college. “The food is here!” The drunken giant exclaimed excitedly as the server put the food on the table. 

Jongin and Kyungsoo placed plates in front of everyone and gave them each food. Aejin said a small thank you to Jongin who placed a piece of fried chicken and pancake on her plate. She was excited to eat! The moment Chanyeol mentioned food, she was excited to eat. She loved drunk eating the most when it came to drinking. 

“Did you guys want to crash at my place?” Jongin asked. “I live pretty close to here and you guys can sleep over instead of going home tonight,” he looked around the table and saw the guys nodding in agreement. He turned to face Aejin who was busy eating her food with a happy grin on her face. “Aejin, are you okay sleeping over at my place? Sehun said he’s okay with it.” 

Aejin looked up at him with her big eyes as she was eating her chicken. She nodded her head and Jongin let out a laugh. “Do you have any contact cases for me to use?” She asked after she finished her piece in . 

“I might. I can always run to the corner store after I bring you guys to my place,” he told her. “I can pick you up a makeup remover and things for your contacts.” He moves a strand of hair out of her face as she continues eating her food. 

“Thanks, Jongin,” Aejin said with a warm smile on her face. 

After they finish with their late night meal, Jongin leads them to his apartment he had bought before his move back. He was a few blocks away and the walk was filled with laughter and Aejin hugging onto him as he carried her on his back. She had complained her heels were making her feet ache, and Jongin took it upon himself to carry her back. 

Aejin inhaled Jongin’s cologne and she felt comfort in his scent for some reason. Whenever he laughed with the guys, her heart felt warm and full. She felt a little complete when she felt his warm back and his soothing voice. Aejin felt safe and comfortable. She tucked her head into the crook of his neck and began dozing off to sleep, the alcohol and food taking over her body. She was exhausted from the night before and today drained her (in a good way, obviously), before she knew it, she had fallen asleep by the time they reached Jongin’s apartment. 

Jongin laid the sleeping girl on the sofa with the help of Sehun and Kyungsoo, while Baekhyun placed Chanyeol on the ground to lay down. They weren’t too sure how Chanyeol was so drunk still even after all of the food and water he drank. Jongin grabbed the extra pillows and blankets he kept in his closet and made sure to cover Aejin up before he told them he would be running to the store. Sehun told Jongin that he would accompany him to get Aejin’s things since Sehun knew what she preferred. Kyungsoo and Baekhyun had asked for them to return with snacks and drinks. He had brought out another bottle of liquor he kept in his freezer that he bought recently and told them to drink if they still wanted to, to which they did. 


It's been a while since my last update. I hope that you have read the other two chapters because I changed a bit of the plot since I first started the story! I hope you enjoy these updates. Let me know if these longer chapters are better or worse than the shorter ones so I can adjust it for you guys! I'm a little rusty with writing like this since it's been a few years.