chapter two

The Simplest Gift
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Across town Amber wasn't doing as much work as she usually would on a Friday afternoon. It was the day she normally cracked the whip, getting everyone in overdrive so all the work would be finished by the weekend. However, her mind was totally focused on the girl in the picture frame on her desk.

From the moment Amber had kissed Krystal good-bye that morning, her thoughts were already planning their date for the evening. She wanted to make it as special as Krystal was.

When she'd gotten into the office that morning, the request she made to her secretary wasn't so much work-related as it was date-related.

"Luna, give our limo driver a call and have him available this evening after work."

"Yes ma'am," she said, handing Amber her coffee as she always did.

Before long, Amber's buzzer went off and Luna transferred the call from the limo driver. After talking with him, Amber personally called the florist and ordered Krystal's favorite flowers. After those calls, she sat back and thought about the "date" she was going to have with Krystal...

Her mind went back to the day she seen Krystal for the first time...

Amber and her friends had gone up to the resort for a week of rest and relaxation and even a little site seeing.

Early one evening she went out on the resort's deck, and there Krystal sat reading a book. She was wearing a white and dark blue sweater and jeans. Her hair was long and brown.

Krystal didn't see Amber right away because she was apparently quite absorbed in her book.

She was beautiful, and Amber just stood there admiring her.

Something must have distracted Krystal because she suddenly turned and looked around.

Oh, god, what could I have been thinking?

That she would never look up and see me?

What will she think of me standing here staring at her?

Amber's first thought now was embarrassment.

Amber smiled somewhat sheepishly as she tried to think of something to say.

Krystal's eyes focused on hers for just a moment, but then she smiled, much to Amber's reli

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter