[9] Leaves

NEXT (Kris x Suho)

Truth


I can tell it’s morning by the sound of my landlord’s dog barking up a riot outside. The loud howl wakes me and the morning calls me to get up as the sun rays hit my face. I shuffle underneath my blanket and use my hands to support my upper body but someone rushes to my side and pushes me to lie down again. I look up to Wu Yifan’s face near me.

"The doctor said you should rest," he says with husky breath that smells of nicotine. 

“Doctors say smoking is bad for your health."

As soon as my head touches my pillow, Yifan lightly slaps my head.

"We're talking about your health. You should rest more. Breakfast isn't done yet.”

While I’m lying down, I watch him walk back to my kitchen counter which is just a couple of meters from the foot of my bed. He curves his back in order to reach the counter. I guess being tall can have disadvantages too.

“I didn’t know you can cook.”

“I thought you knew everything about me, hmm? Aren't you my assistant?”

He begins to chop up vegetables on the chopping board he had just brought out. I can't tell what he's cooking but so far he seems to know what he's doing. I'll have to trust his skills. He starts rummaging through my kitchen cabinet and is looking for something. After some struggle, he seems to have found what he's looking for.

"Why are your spices in different places?"

"I just... put them wherever."

"You have spices mixed with the plates and cups. Also packs of ramyun... lots of them. Tsk tsk tsk. You need to find a better place. With more room. Also, I think I'm about to hit the ceiling," he jokes.

"I know I know... I need to save up first for the security deposit before I start looking for a new place."

"I'll help you look for one. I have connections."

"Don't worry about me. Focus on what you have to do. I know that you have a meeting later this afternoon. I hope you didn’t forget.”

“I didn’t. I had to cancel it.”

“Eh? Why? It’s an important meeting with LG. You can’t miss it.”

“I’m friends with them. They’ll understand. I have.. something else to do.”

His slight pause between his words is making me think that he’s skipping his meeting for me. 

“You shouldn’t miss your meeting.”

“I have to.”

Aha~ So he is staying for me.

“It’s because I need to leave soon.”

“Eh? You’re leaving?”

“Yeah. It’s nothing important.”

“I see…”

If it's nothing important then why will you leave? It's annoying to hear one thing and later turn out it was in fact a lie from the start. I'm sure that if he's not attending an important meeting, he's going to meet Jinah. It's not the first time this has happened. Yifan was forced to skip a great number of important meetings because of Jinah. Ugh...The mention of her name just upsets me. I forget that I’m only 'temporary'... and can easily be thrown away to the side like a used kitchen towel.

Yifan goes home to herJinah should know how lucky she has it to always be by his side. I cross my arms and pout my lips. I hear Yifan giggle in the background.

“Are you upset?” Yifan asks.

I ignore him and close my eyes again. I'll just go back to sleep. Hoping that maybe when I wake up, he just leaves... so I don't have to watch him abandon me at my time of need. Am I being childish? ...mmm...

I feel a warm set of lips press against my forehead and my eyes shoot open from shock. I look up and Yifan is looking down at me. I look at my side table to see a bowl of porridge and a glass of water placed on top of the surface. I feel his hand slowly caress my cheek, his thumb lightly brushing my skin.

"I'm sorry I have to leave you."

"It's okay"

No, it's not.

"Do you want me to stay with you?"

"No..."

Yes, of course.

"Are you sure?"

"I'll be fine"

...to some extent.

He kisses me forehead and reminds me to drink my vitamins after eating so I can get healthier and go back to work as soon as possible. He helps me sit up, my head still throbbing. He gives me one last look of regret before finally leaving my apartment. I stare at the bowl of steamy hot porridge that was prepared especially for me. I look at it and see that the carrot bits form a heart shape. Yifan can be very cheesy. I love cheesy. I take the bowl and scoop a spoonful to blow on. As I'm about to taste it, I hear my door unlocking. Is it Yifan? Did he forget something?

I hear the door creek open.

"Yifan, back so soon?"

"Hyuuuuuung~" 

Ah... I should've known.

"I hate to interrupt your... uhm... party? But... how did you get a copy of my room key?"

Sehun, who's busy eating the chopped apples he and Tao had brought for me, stops from his little munch fest to answer my question. 

"Ah~ Lotus boss gave me a copy of your key," Sehun says while he dangles the keychain ring on his index finger. 

"Lotus boss? Yifan gave you a key? Why?"

"Hmmm..."

Sehun eats another slice of an apple before handing the keys to Tao and clapping his hands clean of apple bits. He stands up and straightens his back, tip-toes and raises his chin attempting to copy Yifan's height. He deepens his voice and begins.

"He said, 'You, Kid. You're Suho's friend. Keep an eye on him.' He gave me the key right after. Then I, being the bestest best friend of my neighbor, obliged to be your angel while he is away. The end."

Tao proceeds to clap enthusiastically while Sehun bows as if he had just finished performing Les Miserables. He sits back down on the foot on my bed, back-to-back with Tao. I shake my head, laughing at the two silly teens. I've known Sehun for a year or so and he still has surprises up his sleeve.

My bowl of porridge is still in my hands but I haven't finished it. I've only eaten a third of what's in it and I'm already too full to finish. I put it back on my side table and my phone vibrates all of a sudden. I pick it up and 'Choi Minho' appears on the screen. 

"Hyung, who's that? Who who who~"

Sehun quickly jumps to my side, making me hit the back of my head on the bed's headboard. 

"Ak... Yah!"

While I'm in pain, Sehun takes my phone and answers it. 

"Hey, Sehun-ah! Yah! Give that back!!!"

Sehun presses the green button and places the phone on speaker mode. 

"Hello?" 

"Uh... hello? This... isn't another one of Kim Junmyeon's lovers, is it?"

"Maaaaaybe. Who wants to know?"

"May I speak with Kim Junmyeon-sshi please?"

"Choi Minho-sshi!! Please hang u--ngffudd"

Tao swiftly moves up to where I am and covers my mouth with his hand. Because I am too weak for not having eaten much and still on bed rest mode, I'm unable to fight against Tao's strength. 

"Junmyeon-sshi? This is serious. Can I please know where Kim Junmyeon is?"

"He's at home safe and sound. You don't have to come, you know."

"But I want to. Please let me know where he is so I can visit."

"I'm sorry~ I made a promise to not let anyone know where he is."

"Fine. If you won't tell me where he is... I'll look for him myself."

"How about you go to the restaurant you went to. I'll meet you there."

What? Sehun! What are you doing?!

"Oh! The rice bowl resturant? Okay! Thank you!"

Sehun hangs up nonchalantly and picks up another apple slice to put in his mouth. I finally break free from Tao's hands and I point at Sehun, fuming with anger.

"Sehun-ah! Why'd you do that?!"

Sehun only shrugs his shoulders at me. This kid is pushing it way too far, already invading my privacy more times than I can count. He prances out the room with the spare key in his fingers. I claw my fingers and ball them into a fist, supressing the fire building inside of me. I want to punch a wall so badly. I prepare myself to even punch Tao but he grabs my fist even before I make my move. He lowers my hands and rubs my back, telling me to relax. How am I able to relax at this point?! 

"Gege, Sehun knows what he's doing."

"Tao-yah...isn't he just meddling too much?"

"He does it for you, Ge."

"What exactly is he doing for me? Huh?"

Tao only smirks and keeps rubbing my back. I don't know if that meant an affirmative response or... ugh... I'm getting another headache. Can I just have time to myself today? Why do things have to get even more complicated?

"I'm sorry for intruding while your on bedrest," Choi Minho apologizes as he stands at the foot of my bed.

My hair is a bushy mess, skin a shade paler than usual and my place is cramped with Sehun and Tao taking up the space. With the state of my apartment right now, it should me that should apologize.

"No, it's okay. Sorry you have to see me in my horrible apartment. I'd give you a tour but.. this is all there is."

"Hahaha, no it's fine. It's comfortable for a couple of people I guess."

"Exactly..."

I eye Sehun and Tao, signaling them to get out of my room. They don't see to get the picture so while Minho's eyes wander, I use my hand to gesture them to get the heck out of my room. As I point my finger, they finally understand and leave. Before they walk out, Sehun gives me a thumbs up and mouthes the word 'Fighting Hyung!'. What is he thinking? Is he... setting me up? I nearly flip the bird at him until Minho-sshi looks at me. I put on a fake smile, pretending I wasn't doing anything suspicious.

He sits on the foot of my bed and takes out a small paper bag from his messanger bag. He hands it to me and I put my hands, rejecting whatever he's about to give.

"I can't keep taking things from you, Minho-sshi. I've caused you enough trouble."

"Hey, this is no trouble. Please take it. It's useful."

Minho-sshi looks at me with puppy dog-like eyes. Attempting to fight against them, I inevitably lose and take the paper bag. I hope it and it's a cellphone protective screen. Oh! This is useful!

"I'll put it on the screen for you."

He takes the phone from my side table and gets the screen protector. He takes out a tissue from his bag and wipes my screen clean. Afterwards, he takes out the protector, peels off the plastic and sticks it on the screen slowly and carefully. I watch his fingers precisely sticking, removing and re-sticking the protector. As he sticks on the protector, I observe how is so focused on his task. I've only met him a few days ago but the way he treats me is like he's known me for a long time. I don't think I can repay him for his kindness.

"And it's done! Ta-dah!"

My phone looks almost brand new, except for the small crack on the screen but... from afar, it doesn't look that noticeable. 

"Thank you, Minho-sshi!"

"Not a problem, Junmyeon-sshi."

I keep my phone in my hand and lose myself in my thoughts. It's nearing two in the afternoon and still no text message from Yifan. I wonder what he's doing right now. Jinah better not be forcing him to go on a shopping trip again. One day, when I was checking my boss' credit card statement, there were purchases for shoes, bags and make-up almost every single day. He better realize it sooner or later that his wife has an addiction. 

"Uhm... Junmyeon-sshi."

"Yes?" 

I was too distracted by my thoughts that I nearly forgot Minho-sshi was just a meter away from me.

"Remember your payment?"

"Payment?"

"For the phone case."

"The... oh... OH!" 

The date. He's reminding me about the Date. This is why he came here? To claim his... payment? I wonder if he's noticed I'm lying in bed prescribed by the doctor...

"I'm sorry I missed the date."

"Don't apologize. Your neighbor said you collapsed and were hospitalized."

"Yeah. Meningitis. I'm feeling a lot better today though."

"That's good. Uhm... I still have a question."

"What is it?"

He looks uncertain and bites his bottom lip. What's on his mind now?

"Uhm... A-Are... you..." 

It seems that he has a question to ask but is hesitant. 

"Are... you thinking of moving out?"

Eh? Where did that come from all of a sudden? 

"Moving? Yeah... I'm still saving up for the security deposit. I haven't decided on a new apartment... or which district for that matter," I tell him.

"O-Oh! I see!"

He looks relieved like he had just dodged a bullet.

"Why are you asking?" I direct the attention to him.

"Ah, no reason. Uhm, if you need help in searching for a place, I can lend a hand."

"You've done so much already."

"Junmyeon-sshi, has it occured to you that... I'm doing all of this for a reason?"

"Eh?"

He scoots closer to my, his hand near mine. He places his hand over mine and smiles. We lock eyes and I attempt to read his expression. It's difficult to know what he's thinking. Or... is it because I'm not trying hard enough to understand? 

"Junmyeon-sshi, was the man that answered your phone yesterday... your boyfriend?"

I freeze and remove my hand from under his. To be honest, I am Yifan's boyfriend. But he has a reputation to uphold. He's the CCO of Lotus and I'm... just his assistant. We have a relationship but the world can't know. If news breaks out that a married man is having a homoual relationship, he may get removed from his position. The future of Yifan rests on my shoulders and I can't risk it for my own self assurance. 

"No... he's not."

His eyes widen and he lets out a sigh of relief.

"I need to be honest with you, Junmyeon-sshi."

Minho-sshi scoots even closer, know sitting beside my waist. He reaches for my hand again and holds it. 

"I was going to give up knowing you were someone else's but since it came from you that you're a single man... I'd like to get to know you even better. Can I take you out on that date soon?"

I want to reject him. I'm not interested because I have Yifan. We're in a complicated situation but I'm his, he's mine. Yifan is the one I want to be with. Sure, Minho-sshi is interesting. He and I share interests, have good conversation. I admit it he's also got the looks. Maybe I should just let him off easy...

"I'm sorry but--"

As I was about to explain to him, my phone starts to vibrate. 'Kim Jongdae (LOTUS)' pops up on the screen. I made it a point for myself that if a LOTUS employee calls, I shoud answer it. I excuse myself from my conversation and answer the call.

"Hello?"

"Junmyeon-sshi! I have so much to say! Oh my God!!"

"Calm down, Jongdae-sshi. What's up?"

"Oh yeah, I heard you're sick. Sad to hear that, buddy. Get well soon."

"Thanks, I--"

"Okay, next! I heard the biggest news!"

"What news?"

"It's about your boss."

"Why? Did something happen to him?!"

"You can call it that. Or you can say, something happened to his wife! His wife----"

I hear in the background a couple of familiar voices. Chanyeol and Baekhyun are talking over Jongdae's voice that I'm unable to hear the latter.

"Jongdae-sshi, can you repeat that?"

"His wife is pregnant!"

"What?!"

"Yeah! News spread out fast this morning. You know Tiffany from Human Resources, right? She's close with Jinah and----The girls in the office are crying. Man, you should have----"

At this point, I drop my phone and am in disbelief. Did... did I just hear correctly? That can't be right. His wife is... pregnant? Hah! When did that happen? When could they have possibly... oh... was... was it that day? The day I was following them and they were on a date? If they had done it on that day, the timing would be about right... She'd really be pregnant. 

"Junmyeon-sshi... are you okay?"

"Huh? O-Oh. Yeah."

"If you're not feeling well, we can talk about this another--"

"Minho-sshi... can I ask you a question this time?"

"Sure... yeah, sure. Ask me anything!"

"How do you let go of someone you can't... really have?"

It's odd to be asking such a question at this moment. I'm not sure how he'll react to it. If he and I were on the same wavelength, he'd give me a serious answer instead of assuming I'm making a joke. To my surprise...

"If you want to let go of someone, just let go and don't look back. Then look who's right in front of you."

His last few words ring inside my head. Look who's right in front of me, huh?

"Minho-sshi, when I get better, let's go on that date."

I watch him make a wide smile and make a victory fist bump to the air. I laugh at his reaction and he gets a bit embarrassed, hiding his red cheeks. Thinking about Yifan and his pregnant wife, he's at a place I can't reach. I can't continue our relationship if he will be father soon. I can't get in the way of a father and his child. Is this being impulsive? Yes. But if I don't act now, I will just be disappointed later on. Let's stop the pain now when it can't hurt even more. 

Epilogue:

To be continued...

.n.e.x.t.


Author's Notes

This story has taken a dramatic turn, hasn't it? The theme of this chapter is TRUTH so you should know something is gonna go down :)) Junmyeon finally finds out that Jinah is preggers! OMO~! And Junmyeon wants to break it up with Yifan. How will Yifan react to that? Not good!!! Duhurrr!!!! 

Did you guys notice that Minho and Yifan offered to do the same thing for Junmyeon regarding his apartment hunting? Pretty much pointing out that both Yifan and Minho can easily provide Junmyeon the things he needs. They are /almost/ the same but not quite. Yifan is married, Minho is single. Junmyeon is given a guilt-free option. Is this his final decision?

I think this is already the middle part of the story? Or maybe... 2/3 of the story. There will be more chapters to come. Not sure how many left though until we reach the finale. 

My fanfic finally reached more than 5,000 views! Thank you for your interest in my fanfic! I know I'm not the best author... I'm still thankful for those that put up with my lack of writing skills... because they just enjoy the story. You are great!! AWESOME!! Wonderful!! And for that, I will write the side-story that you want to read. Which one is it?

*drum roll*

Junmyeon's back story on how he was disowned and how he ended up in the apartment complex. I don't know how long or short it will be. Please don't expect too much >,< I'll write it at the same time as Chapter 10~

Comment, Subscribe! I love you even just for viewing!

You guys have the power to tell me what Junmyeon should do in the next chapter. It'll help me decide what to write :) And maybe change the course of the fanfic itself? OOOOHHHH!!!!! Until the next chapter~ *pops out*