.1.

The Princess and The Country Boy

Chapter 1

 

 

 

Jiyong wiped away the sweat that kept forming on his head due to the sun that was brightly shining on him. He was busy chowing the grass down as it was getting in the way of their small farmyard he and his family owned. Jiyong lived in the countryside of Busan with his mother, father, his grandmother and lastly his little sister Hayi.They weren't a well off family and they weren't too poor, owning a farm did take up most of their money but it helped them fill up their stomach.

 

 

"Oppa, Omma is calling you to come inside quick!" Jiyong looked up hearing his sister shriek towards him. He nodded as a response before stopping the machine. Taking off his vest he wiped his sweat that formulated around his body before sauntering inside.

 

 

"Jiyong-ah look your father found another bride for you." An instant groan escaped his mouth hearing the same topic for the last few months. His family thought it was about time he got married and the fact they needed a helping hand in the house as his grandmother grew weaker and weaker.

 

 

"Omma I told you to stop it! This is nonsense! How many girls have I already seen and have been rejected?" Hye Sun, Jiyong's mother shook her head before heading towards her son. Jiyong was a good looking boy but due to his less appealing background most girls end up rejecting him. They wanted to marry into rich families and never understood why they said yes to the viewing stage when they should have known he wasn't well off. Jiyong always walked around with a stoic expression and thats another reason girls rejected him. He frightened them.

 

 

"This ones from Seoul. She's beautiful." She replied with a warm smile.

 

 

"So were the other three." Jiyong shook his head ready to tread up the stairs.

 

 

"Just look at her picture Jiyong. She can drive and cook and everything. We need that in our household." Her mother tried to explain. "Plus your father won't be happy hearing you reject her. Her father is a friend of your dads and he doesn't want to upset him."

 

 

"And that's the reason why you want me to see her?"

 

 

"Jiyong just see the picture. Stop giving your mother a hard time." His halmeoni finally spoke up and that meant he had to do whatever she had said. Nobody could say no to her and if they did it didn't end up well.

 

 

"I'm going to shower. Leave it in my room. I'll see it when I'm out." With that he rushed up the stairs. He hated this whole marriage set up. He was only 25 and hoped a girl would just walk by and go through what most people go through, love. But he was an obedient son who didn't want to upset his family so agreed.

 

 

There was four major parts to getting arranged marriage. The first part included the bride side seeing a picture of the groom with a paper which had a list of all compulsory information on it such as name, date of birth, job, and family and so on. If the family and the bride like what they see, the bride sends their picture along with the paper with their info. The second part is the viewing stage where the groom’s family head over to the brides house and see the bride, face to face. This also allows the groom and bride to talk and see if the person is favourable. If all is good and they pass both stages then comes the engagement which also includes the registry. This is because families prefer the couple being married in case something that isn't supposed to happen happens for example . Lastly the wedding is held whenever appropriate. Jiyong has only made it up to the second stage as he ends up being rejected or rejects the girl.

 

 

He never thought marriage would actually be this hard for him. His family didn’t have much money which made him wonder how they will provide for another person. Showering helped him clear his mind, his eyes landing on the white envelope sat comfortably on his bed. He sighed. He might as well look at it and then reject her knowing girls in Seoul were not appropriate for the countryside unless they actually liked it. He was surprised she can do all household chores. It was rare if you came from a rich family.

 

 

Moving over to the other side he picked up the envelope and grabbed onto the picture shoved inside. Pulling it out, his eyes widened slightly. A picture of a girl wearing the Korean traditional dress with a big smile on her face. She was beautiful. She looked perfect. Her deep brown eyes drowning him as all he could do was stare. His eyes then shifted onto the back which included all her details.

 

 

"Park Sandara. Dara for short. 23 years old." A small smile appeared on his face. A first when it came to this stage. And all he knew now was he wanted to see her and he was gonna leave a good impression; he had to if he wanted her.

 

 

------

 

 

"You're joking with me aren't you? Mom tell me daddy is joking!" She yelled at the top of her lungs. A small pout plastered onto her face as she moved from one end to another. Her mother had a disapproving face as her father drank his tea.

 

 

"It's true Sandara and you have to accept it!" Her father spoke up seeing his daughter act up again.

 

 

"I can't believe you are getting me married! To someone in the countryside!!! How could you daddy? Please daddy don't do this!" Dara wanted to cry. She wanted to whine until her father agreed he won't get her married yet especially to someone she didn't love.

 

 

"I warned you and you agreed. You are marrying one of my friend’s son. He is very nice and caring. I told them you can do all household chores, I felt bad for lying but you can learn. They will come see you next week and the week after will be your engagement which will consist of your registry. So basically you will be married and then we will have the wedding to a suitable timing." Dara's father smiled but wavered a little seeing the tears spill. He loved his daughter but she was a spoilt brat. He did blame himself for her behaviour and he warned her thousands of times. He decided it was time to get her married to someone who is the opposite of them. She will learn to appreciate life properly.

 

 

Dara came from a rich family and she's had a fair share of dating boys. All ended up being jerks. They only dated her to take her V card or the money. She was looking for the one but now her father was ruining it all. She was going to have to marry the country boy whether she liked it or not. And she definitely did not like it.