CHAPTER 3 : FACING THE DEMON IN ME

Haven Reflection

1

CHAPTER 3 : FACING THE DEMON IN ME

Sunggyu POV

I groaned in frustration as I tore another page from my drawing journal and threw it to rest with its other crumpled comrades at the corner of the room from where my earliest efforts piled up. I can felt that the boy in the mirror smiled down at my failed attempts on creating a potrait of him which only irritated me even more than I already did but I refused to give in to his amusement so I just ignored him and continued with what I was doing.

"I'm normally very good at this." I drew a faint outline of Myungsoo's unique feature and involuntarily hissed when the boy moved. "Stay still, please! I'm trying to get this right."

He let out a hearty laugh and tilted his head a bit. "Alright. I won't move. Just continue, Mr Artist."

The sound of his laugh.. it was as if he was mocking me indirectly and I cant really put it in words on how much I hated it. I puffed my cheeks in annoyance. "Stop laughing at me like that. it's rude."  

I clearly hated when he continued to feign innocence. He shook his head and said " I'm not laughing at you. I just found it amusing. That's all." 

A pout formed on my lips which was absolutely ridiculous considering my age but I cannot helped it. Whenever I was with him, I experienced new things. It was like I can be the real me , the childish and perky Kim Sunggyu , and not afraid to be judged by it. I diverted the direction of my sight to something other than him because I was quite sure that blood started to rush over my ears and that would gave me away. Obviously I hated it so I secretly raked my hair to cover them. I continued to avoid his suspicion with another question. "What's the diferent?" I said. " It still end up with you laughing at my stupid attempts."

"I think you misunderstood. I'm laughing not because I find your attempts are pointless but instead, I find it strangely adorable and undeniably cute." he explained and I can felt blood changing their routes back to my cheeks. Panic, I used whatever I had in my hand to block my red cheeks from his line of sight. "Stop teasing me." I whined and was more annoyed when Myungsoo laughed again.

"I thought I had told you to stop laughing at me." It was not like I dislike the teasing, especially when it came from this strangI just didnt know how I'm supposed to react to it.

"Okay,I'll stop.. " he paused before glancing back at me with one eye, "... for now." Myungsoo bursted into fit of laughter.

This bastard....

"You..." 

"I can't help it. You are so adorable." Myungsoo said with a cute voice.

I crossed my hands together and replied in a tone that clearly showed my irritation. "I'm not cute. A man is not supposed to be cute." 

Myungsoo put on his infamous smirk." but you are. There's no point of denying something so obvious."  

I can felt it. My cheeks were burning. I didn't know if I was too annoyed that my temperature started to rise or I took those words as a flattery. "You're .. hmm.... you're obviously lying." I stuttered.

There were silent between us and I wondered if he would took everything back. Of course he would. Someone as plain as me were not cute.. He was trying to nice and.....

" No, I can't lie." he said nonchantly.

I narrowed my eyebrows in with suspicion. Was something like that was even possible? From as long as I can remembered, humans were only capable of producing lies every time and they were even proud of it. 

"Impossible!" I exclaimed and even I was surprised with it. l let out awkward coughs ,ashamed at how much I'd shown my not-so-gentle attitude that clearly needed adjustment to Myungsoo. "Everyone lies. That is what humans are good at. Lying at each other." Each words felt heavy on my tongues as the numbers of betrayals flashed over my eyes at that very short time. Myungsoo was silent all the sudden and I wondered if Myungsoo had noticed anything he shouldn't.

His eyes turned into a crescent when he put his usual smile. "Well, today's your lucky day because right in front of you is a boy who never lied all his life." 

I was pretty sure that my face changed, scratch that, dramatically twisted because that was the most stupid thing that I had ever heard in my life!  

"Pardon me?" 

I raised my head and finally realized the terrible mistake that I had made. My eyes widened in horror and my hands instinctively reached out to cover my mouth. 

Myungsoo tried so hard to stiffle his laugh and that only added one more reason why I should holed up in the corner and died in utter embarassement. 

"You're funny." he giggled, maybe he was being considerate towards me. 

"I can't help it, okay? I just find it weird that in this kind of age, there is someone who claimed that he don't lie." 

"Maybe you're right but I can only tell the truth."

I looked into his brown eyes and tried to find any sign of fallacy but found none. Is he really telling me the truth? "And why is that?" I asked him again. 

Myungsoo brushed his non-existence mustache , always trying to be annoying, and told me about it. " When I was five, I'd taken an oath most magician need complied. That a magician can never utter any lies for as long as he's breathing or the magic he had cast will disappear and never come back."  

I was surprised at myself because I believed him. Not even an ounce of doubt. i cant sensed any lies from his words. Strange because I always felt something. Deceptive intents and falsity statements.

" You don't trust me." 

No, I did but I can't said it out loud. " I don't know what to say." was my only reply.

"I was told that I was destinied to be a magician so my parents brought me to a special academy at the age of seven to become one."Myungsoo explained and he pointed at a rather large looking ring on his finger. " This is the prove that I'm a magician." 

Maybe he was no lying. He did said he was from the other world. I wondered how it is in the other world, in the world where there was no lies. "I guess I have to believe in you then." 

"Can I say something?"

I nodded ,still in deep thoughts on how a world without lies would be like.

"Even in my world, there is peolle who are lying. It is just us, the magicians, who can't lies." he suddenly remarked and I blinked my eyes at him. "I'm sorry." he apologized. "I know I shouldn't read into your mind but I cant let you imaginating someone that is impossible." 

Oh, I forgot. He can read minds. How stupid am I. 

"Sunggyu.. you need to accept the world as it is." 

I hated hearing those words. How can I accept this filthy world? The world that brought nothing but misery and pain to me.  

I faked a smile like always. Even if it really hurt inside, I didn't want people to know of my misery. ."I know. I'm a grown up man. I can accept the world". I lied so perfectly. 

Myungsoo let put a sigh. Maybe my acting didnt convinced me enough. "Gyu, it's hard ,I know but.." 

I wanted my bed. Someone was trying to breach the wall of security I built and now I needed that sense of safety back. I abruptly stood up and headed to the door. 

"Where are you going?" he asked me.

"I'm getting sleepy and I need some sleep."another lies flew from my mouth naturally when in fact, my eyes was overflowing with strained tears. I can't even looked back so I opened the door and left him. 

I let the tears flowed. It was always like this. I think I was beyond help. I can never trusted anyone anymore. 

I opened the door to my room and hold onto Kevin while wailing my heart out.

It hurts.

Eveything hurts.

Is there someone out there that I can trust?

My phone suddenly lit up and Woohyun's picture greet my eyes. 

I normally would just ignored it but I was so lonely and hurt that my heart longed for someone to talk to. I reached out for my phone and clicked the button answer.

"Hello? Gyu, are you alright?" 

I missed him. I missed his voice so much. I cleared my throat because I didnt want him to notice that I was crying. "Yes, I'm fine. Why are you calling me?" 

"Baby.." he paused. "I miss you." 

I guessed even in this wretched world, maybe there was someone to trust.