Five

Confession of a Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Our times are just a little different, so this is just a temporary goodbye.”

Wind Flower ― SNSD's Sooyoung

 

Dating Kim Taeyeon was the best feeling ever for him. They turned out to have so many things in common, they liked to sing, they were each other’s ideal type, they were the only child of family, and they loved to sip a cup of Americano in the rainy days.

It’s been a year since they were going out public, and it was amazing for Baekhyun because he could stay, never got bored with her, and loved her as much as she did to him. Baekhyun sometimes found himself comparing her with Eunji, but he knew, Eunji was already happy with her own choices, and this meant that little punk named Kim Jongin, so he had to be happy as well.

Talking about Eunji, it’s been a year as well for his friendship with Eunji slowly faded. Eunji decided to move out and stayed at the boarding rooms, which the college provided, because it was free and she would have a roommate, she said when Baekhyun asked why she suddenly wanted to move out.

Baekhyun respected her choice and let her do whatever she wanted to do. Even after she moved out, they still talked and called each other. Few days ago, Baekhyun asked Eunji to accompany him to buy a dress for Taeyeon’s birthday.

Taeyeon seemed delighted when she opened the gift. She pecked his lips and said she was very happy to get such a beautiful dress from someone like him.

“It’s not me, noona. I asked Eunji to choose. My taste is never good.”

Taeyeon smiled happily. “I’ll call her to say thanks as well. Baekhyun, this dress is so nice! Thank you so much!”

Baekhyun smiled seeing Taeyeon was so excited. “What is your wish on this age, noona?” Baekhyun asked.

Taeyeon jutted out her lips, thinking very carefully, before glancing at her boyfriend, “Settle down.” She said. “I want to settle down with you.”

Baekhyun gaped. “Noona…”

But Taeyeon beamed at him. “I’m at the age of a woman should be a wife, don’t you think, Baekhyun? I’m 24 and I have a job already. I think I’m ready to have a husband and build a family with him.”

“But, noona… I’m still in college. Well, maybe if I study well, I could graduate next year, but still… I will be a burden for you if you decide to settle down with me.”

Taeyeon shook her head firmly. “I love you, Baekhyun, at all, and I want to settle down with you. If we are together, don’t you think we will get through it?”

Baekhyun didn’t know what he should say to her.

-

When Baekhyun asked her to meet up, Eunji was beyond excited. It’s been a very while after she moved out.

The reason she moved out was simple, because she saw them once cuddling in the living room, and it was more than enough to break her heart to pieces. With Jongin’s advice, she then  moved out and lived at the boarding rooms, sharing a room with a senior named Kwon Yuri, she was majoring in Pharmacy.

Eunji hugged Baekhyun tightly and smelled sandalwood, Eunji considered it as his smell, before sat down across him. Seeing Baekhyun was grinning from ear to ear, she narrowed her eyes, “You look happy.”

He chuckled. “Is it that obvious?”

She nodded and saw his palms were wet. Was he nervous? “Are you okay, Baek?” She asked.

“I need to tell you something…”

“Okay…”

“I’m ready to settle down.”

Eunji felt jumpy out of sudden. The way Baekhyun looked at her.. Oh, it could tell thousands stories. So, did this ending would be hers finally?

“I’m going to propose Taeyeon noona.”

His statement was short but shocking. Eunji never saw it coming. If only words could kill.

She blinked for times then asked, “Come again?”

His lips curved up into a wide grin. “I’m going to propose Taeyeon noona. Her. The love of my life. My one and only.” He took out a small velvet box of out his pocket.

Eunji felt bitter. She knew what was inside, without even asking.

Baekhyun, straightforwardly, opened the box and showed it to his best friend. “What do you think? Is it pretty? Do you think it will match her skin well? Ah, I should have brought you with me before! But it’s okay, it’s okay. They said I can change, if the bride doesn’t like the ring. Ugh.. Bride. Even that word made me anxious.”

“But, Baek...” Eunji looked at Baekhyun, trying to cover her staggering tone. “You’re still in college. And isn’t it only a year? Why are you so in rush?”

“It’s Taeyeon noona’s request on her birthday. And no, it’s not a marriage yet. I’m going to propose her and get engaged to her, then I’ll ask her to wait until I finish my college. After that, we both will plan an amazing marriage.”

Eunji didn’t know whether it’s kind or not for wishing them to break up right now.

“I…” Eunji stuttered. She was trying hard to control her tears. “I’m happy for you.” What a lie. “Taeyeon eonni must be pleased to hear this. I bet she would say yes right away.”

“Do you think I’ll be a great husband for her?”

Can’t you say for me instead for her, Baek? Eunji nodded. “You will be a perfect husband and a lovely father for your kids.”

Eunji really wanted to cry.

“Oh, I have a very important favor to ask, by the way.”

Eunji gulped. “Anything... For you, my best friend, anything…”

“Can you please be the bridesmaid?” Baekhyun asked, giving a puppy look to lure her.

Eunji wanted to scream, saying how rude for him to still ask her to come to something she wanted to avoid the most. “The honor would be mine.”

-

What Eunji could feel every time after she visited this mansion was grateful. She was grateful to have such a noisy mother and talkative father. She was grateful to have dinner every night with her parents. She was grateful because her parents raised her with love and affection.

The Kim mansion would always empty and silent. The only people walked back and forth were the maids and the butlers.

Eunji knew all of them, simply she liked to come here every time Jonghyun invited her. Their mansion had just wide garden and pools. Their house was ten times wider than her house, but the feeling inside was lonely.

“Hello, Miss Jung! Young Kim is in his room and didn’t want to come out for lunch.” The butler, Lee, told her when she entered the mansion.

“Did he oversleep again?” Eunji asked.

“No, Miss, he didn’t. He had a terrible argument with Master. Master threw him the ashtray, because he refused to leave for New York and insisted to stay here.”

Eunji widened her eyes. “WHAT?” Eunji fastened her steps. “Is he okay now? Did you give him a first aid help?” She sounded very worried for that poor boy.

“Young Kim refused all, Miss Jung. Master asked me to let him be, but I know I can’t. Young Kim has fragile heart, Miss Jung. I’m afraid he will do something.”

Eunji stopped in front of his room and heaved a sigh, preparing to see how bad Jongin would look. “I can handle this. Thank you for calling me, Mister Lee.”

“If only you can be his girlfriend, Miss Jung, maybe Young Kim won’t feel so lonely and sad.” He bowed down and left her.

Eunji walked in to the room. It was dark because the lights were off and the curtains were closed. But she could hear a soft snore on the bed. Eunji breathed in relief because it meant that boy was still alive.

She opened the curtains and let the sun shone the room.

Squinting his eyes, the boy gradually showed his face and yelled, “I TOLD YOU NOT TO COME IN. YOU’RE FIRED. WHOEVER YOU ARE, YOU’RE ING FIRED.”

Eunji rested her hands on her waist. “So I’m fired?”

Jongin knew that voice was familiar, so he sat up, showing his face to her, and Eunji opened to see his wounds, and said, “Eunji noona? Are you really Eunji noona?”

“Oh, God, are you okay?” Eunji sat beside him and checked his face. “Dress up. We are going to hospital.”

“It’s okay, noona. I’m getting used to it. It’s just an ashtray. He used glass, thick books, belt, or his fist to punish me. I’m really not good at fitting in with this cool family. Anyway, why are you here? I thought we will meet tomorrow?”

“Butler Lee called me.”

“I really should have fired him.” Jongin rolled his eyes. “What a snitch.”

Eunji nudged him. “Don’t. He is being nice to you, you know? Come on, let’s go to hospital.”

“I don’t want to.”

“Kim Jongin…”

“I’m okay, noona, trust me. I’m really really really okay. It will heal.”

“What if the wound stays?” Eunji pointed at his wound.

Jongin scoffed. “Don’t be stupid. There’s no such thing stays forever.”

Somehow, Jongin’s remark reminded her about Baekhyun and her. They kept talking about forever when they were younger, but looked at them right now. They would be separated soon.

“Noona?” Jongin brought her sense back to reality. “Did I say something wrong?”

Eunji nibbled her lower lip. “No, you’re not.”

“Noona, I told you, didn’t I? You are the worst liar world could have. Tell me, did I say something wrong?”

“Jongin...” Eunji called him.

“Yeah, noona?”

“Do you think is it okay for me to ask your father to send me to New York again with you?”

Jongin tilted his head and saw Eunji was nibbling her lower lip, trying hard not to cry.

And as always, Jongin knew what he should do.

He pulled the latter into a hug and leaned his chin on her head. He didn’t need to say anything, because hell, this lady in front of him didn’t need any.

“Something happened before we met, noona?” He asked as he caressed her hair softly.

She nodded. “Baekhyun…”

Jongin gritted his teeth hearing that name again. “What's with him?”

“Baekhyun decided to propose his girlfriend.”

Jongin stopped caressing for a minute and embraced Eunji tighter. “He did?”

“And he asked me to be the bridesmaid. Can you imagine? He is still such an oblivious guy and I still think somehow he will notice me. But he never noticed me.” A tear rolled on her cheek. “Let’s leave, Jongin. Let’s leave this horrible place. Let’s leave and manage a good life there together.”

Jongin looked her in the eyes and said, “Noona, New

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter