Nine

Open Wounds

Kyungsoo has removed the next post-it note from his wall. “Meet with a publisher.” This feels like he has overcome a huge feat, and he suddenly feels like things are picking up.

Spring bubbles into the atmosphere outside, bringing a wealth of customers in the fresh air. There is some poeticism in this; the season of new life bringing a tide of turn-over. He absent-mindedly sips his coffee, sitting at the bar this time rather than his usual booth. Hanuel is here, two seats away, discussing a book with Minseok as he wipes the bar clean with a plaid cloth. Both of them seem happy, delighted even. A spark in their eyes while they chat back and forth.

Baekhyun spins out from the kitchen area, hugging Kyungsoo, ‘How are they doing?’ He whispers.

‘Minseok hasn’t started blushing yet. Haneul has, though. Both of them are flirting like crazy. I think it’s going well,’ Kyungsoo reports, glancing at the two of them out of the corner of his eye.

‘Nice,’ Baekhyun enthuses, nodding his head, ‘Has he asked her out yet?’

‘Nope.’

‘Is he going to?’

‘Probably not, knowing him.’ Kyungsoo drains his coffee, leaving a frothy mess in the bottom, before standing. ‘But I have some shopping to do, so keep an eye on him and tell me if anything happens.’

‘Shopping?’ Baekhyun inclines his head a little. ‘For what?’

‘Clothes,’ Kyungsoo laughs, ‘And didn’t you say that your friend Lu Han’s birthday is soon? I know you’re going to procrastinate buying his present, so I thought I’d do it for you.’

‘Best. Boyfriend. Ever.’ Baekhyun grins.

‘Yeah, I know.’ He kisses Baek lightly, ‘I’ll see you later.’

Dreamy eyes track Kyungsoo’s frame as he leaves the door, squeezing past that of a tall stranger entering the shop. Thinking nothing of it, Baekhyun’s eyes wander back over to Minseok and Haneul, giggling at each other, all glowing and happy and isolated from reality. In their own little ethereal world, and for a moment, Baekhyun only sees this too.

'Excuse me,’ an unfamiliar voice interrupts. He jumps.

‘Yes?’ He turns to the customer, immediately struck by his handsome features. Skin of smooth milk and lips of candy pink, eyes deep and alluring. He is wearing ripped acid-wash jeans and a white baggy shirt, a snapback turned backwards on his head. Simple but effective, Baekhyun thinks, absorbed into the attractiveness of this man.

The stranger smiles, remotely amused by whimsical expression on Baekhyun’s face. Clearly he is used to this reaction. ‘Can I get a caramel latte please. With cream.’

‘O-of course.’ Baekhyun is not so much in love with this man – thoughts filled with Kyungsoo – but more intimidated by his sheer presence. Arrogance flaunted through minimalism, a laid back vibe radiating from his core through stance and blank expression. His handsomeness only adds to the unrelenting demeanor.

He hurries back behind the counter, relaying the order to a rather surprised Minseok who clearly was not pleased at the disruption of his conversation. The customer sits down, and Minseok glares at him for just half a second as though everything is his fault. As is the case with most newcomers, his dark eyes wander around the shop idly, resting here, gazing there. Seemingly uninterested with everything and everyone. Perhaps too quaint for him, Baekhyun considers, trying not to seem as though he is staring while he is in fact watching this man.

‘Hey,’ he finally speaks again, and both workers expect that he is about to complain about the waiting time. ‘What does D.K.S mean?’ He asks, nodding toward the leather seat.

‘Oh,’ Baekhyun steps closer to him, ‘There is a writer who comes here a lot. A good friend of mine. His name is Do Kyungsoo, and that’s his place in this shop.’

‘Do Kyungsoo…’ The stranger repeats, a strange emotion washing over his face as he turns the name over on his lips. It ebbs as fast as it came, leaving Baekhyun wondering, ‘Are you okay?’

‘I… Umm… Is he here today?’

‘Just left,’ Baekhyun feels himself tensing. Who is this guy? ‘Do you know him?’

‘Not personally,’ the guy sighs, taking his snapback off to run his hand through his hair.

‘Then… How do you…?’ Baekhyun is unsteady. Perhaps the answer won’t be good for him.

Minseok interrupts, putting the coffee between them, ‘One caramel latte with cream. Enjoy,’ he smiles. Narrowing his eyes, Baekhyun hesitates. ‘Do you want me to tell him you dropped by today?’

A moment of thought. Wavering certainty. ‘Yes.’ The man decides. ‘Yes. Tell him I came. Give him this card.’ He digs into his jeans and tosses a business card onto the bar. Oh Sehun. Kyungsoo has not mentioned him before.

'Will do,’ Baekhyun adopts his best polite smile and slinks away.

 

**

 

Aroma floats on twirling tendrils of steam to fill Kyungsoo’s kitchen, condensing onto tiled walls. Piano music drifts around the space, the same tune being hummed on Kyungsoo’s lips as he prepares a meal for himself and Baekhyun.

There is a rap on the door, and no hesitation wasted in answering it. Kyungsoo darts over and tugs the front door open, smiling heartily. Stormy-faced, Baekhyun barges past Kyungsoo into the dining area, sulking into his hands at the table. A worried Kyungsoo hurries after him.

‘It’s been eating me alive, all day, Soo.’

‘What has?’ Kyungsoo asks.

‘This guy came into the shop. He says he knows you…’

‘And?’ He encourages, when Baekhyun fails to continue.

‘It seemed weird.’

‘Who was he? Did he say a name?’ Kyungsoo too is wondering, at a loss as to who this could be.

Wordlessly, Baekhyun removes the card from his pocket and drops it on the table. Sighing, head in hands. Seething with a quiet jealousy of some sort. Kyungsoo picks up the card and recoils in horror when he reads the name.

‘Who is he?’ Baekhyun decides to push, seeing Kyungsoo’s body tense and sensing inner turmoil.

‘Oh Sehun… My… Jongin’s… Old dance partner… The…’

‘The guy he cheated on you with.’ Baekhyun finishes. ‘, Kyungsoo, I’m sorry.’

Tears form in Kyungsoo’s eyes, and once again he feels a blackness crack open his ribs, exposing his vulnerable heart. He leans on the table, barely able to support his own weight anymore. Baekhyun cradles him in his arms, soothing him gently.

They stand in silence, both awkwardly uncertain of what to say. Finally, from Kyungsoo, ‘Is he handsome? I haven’t met him.’

Baekhyun hesitates, and that is a perfectly acceptable answer.

‘So that’s a yes, then.’ He sighs in utter defeat, the life draining out of him along with the oxygen.

Kyungsoo sinks into his seat, and Baekhyun switches off the stove.

‘What did he say to you?’

‘He… Just said he wanted me to give you his card. I think he wants you to call him… Or something.’

‘Do you think I should?’

‘I don’t know,’ Baek offers meekly, voice cracking.

‘I don’t know if I can face it.’ Kyungsoo stares at the card without moving his eyes from it. A moment later, his head sparks with a fresh determination. ‘Serve the food. It should be done. I’m gonna call him and find out what he wants.’

‘A-are you sure that’s a good idea…?’

‘Don’t change my mind.’ Kyungsoo storms out, phone in hand.

The phone rings three times before the click connects him to Oh Sehun. ‘Hello?’ He answers.

‘Hi, it’s Do Kyungsoo.’

‘Oh…’ The guy seems taken aback, shocked, unsure of what to do, ‘I’m sorry about what happened…’

‘Yeah, me too.’ Is all Kyungsoo says, bitterness leaking through each syllable.

‘Listen, I want to meet you. To talk about it maybe…’

‘I guess that would be okay.’ He wants to see this guy for himself, and maybe punch him in the face if he builds up the nerve.

‘How does tomorrow sound? In the coffee shop?’

‘Yeah. Sure.’ Kyungsoo agrees curtly, ‘That would be fine.’

Baekhyun waits anxiously, unable to digest his food before Kyungsoo returns. Only minutes later, he does. ‘I’m meeting him tomorrow.’ He declares. ‘Let’s call it closure.’

 

**

 

Kyungsoo stares at the clock ticking by on the wall, reciting lines in his head that he practised in the mirror over and over again before he left the house this morning. The sound of the door opening draws Kyungsoo’s head around to see, and he suddenly forgets every single word he had planned out, because this man has such an intimidating presence. So… Gorgeous.

He jumps to his feet, ‘Oh… Sehun?’ He ventures, poking out his hand. The tall guy shakes it, ‘And you must be Do Kyungsoo.’

There is tension as he leads Sehun to the booth where his initials are carved. Letting him sit here feels like an odd invasion of territory. For a moment they are silent; Sehun hyperaware of the situation and Kyungsoo hyperaware of the stares they are attracting from Minseok and Baekhyun.

‘So…’ Kyungsoo starts, ‘What is it you wanted to discuss?’

‘You know about Jongin, right?’ He asks. Kyungsoo nods, lips tightened into a thin line. ‘Well… I just want you to know that… When it started, I had no idea you even existed. I didn’t know what I was getting into, and I didn’t know I would be breaking you guys apart. I only found out later… And well…’

‘You had already fallen for Jongin, because he’s just so goddamn irresistible.’ Kyungsoo waves him along.

‘Yes. And I also want you to know that, after he told me about you, he never stopped talking about you. It hurt, quite a lot actually.’ He pauses. ‘I’m not telling you Jongin is at fault, because I should have ended things when I found out, too. I think that Jongin was caught between us both and–’

Kyungsoo cuts him off, ‘Someone once told me that Jongin and I were just seeking perfection in each other. Jongin never really knew what he wanted. At first he thought having someone like me – the complete opposite of him – was perfect. And then he thought that you would understand him better than I could. I don’t think Jongin would have been happy however his life turned out. He didn’t love either of us, he was just searching for something that even he couldn’t understand.’

Sehun stares, eyes intense. ‘I can see why you’re a writer,’ he attempts to iron the awkwardness out of the air.

Kyungsoo shakes his head, ‘Actually, my friend told me that.’

‘Ah, right. Well you worded it pretty damn well. Maybe you’re right, though, Kyungsoo. I don’t think Jongin did love me, I never thought he did. I always thought he loved you, though. With the way he talked about you.’

Kyungsoo shakes his head, ‘He was clinging to his ideals. Hopefully he’s resting somewhere now… Not clinging to anything anymore.’ Somewhere within him, he feels a lump in his throat and a tear in his eye, his breathe coming out in a ragged rupture. He hopes Sehun doesn’t see, but unfortunately he seems to notice, tilting his head and peering at Kyungsoo with only concern in his expression.

‘I’m sorry, that I got you into this.’ Sehun chokes out.

‘No, no,’ Kyungsoo finally decides to try and make peace, ‘Things happen. Neither of us knew what we were getting into with Jongin. Neither of us were meant to be.’

‘I guess so,’ he extends a hand, which Kyungsoo shakes, both parties smiling politely to each other.

‘I’m sorry.’ Kyungsoo says, ‘For causing you guilt. And for Jongin’s loss, of course. But there’s nothing either of us can do about it and I suggest that we both move on.’

Sehun smiles. A knowing smile while he looks toward Baekhyun, who is glaring at him relentlessly, ‘Looks like you already have. I hope I find that one day.’ He stands up, signalling the end of the conversation, ‘You’re a nice guy, Kyungsoo. Thanks for not punching me in the face.’

For a moment, Kyungsoo considers retaliating and protesting against the comment toward Baekhyun, but then he remembers that this isn’t a little crush anymore: Baekhyun loves him too and this is a relationship. So he shoots a smile at Sehun and stands up too, ‘Same to you. And trust me, a guy like you will have no trouble finding someone.’ He considers adding a wink, but decides against it in the end.

Kyungsoo slinks back behind the counter as Sehun leaves. Immediately Baekhyun pounces, barrelling questions at Kyungsoo as though he has been ready to burst the entire time.

‘Relax,’ Kyungsoo chuckles, ‘You almost seem jealous,’ dangling the final word on a piece of thread and waiting for Baek to bite.

His eyes widen Kyungsoo-style and his jaw drops open, ‘No! Not at all,’ he stammers uncertainly.

Still chuckling to himself, Kyungsoo stares toward the door, ‘He’s a nice guy, really. I spent all that time hating him for what happened with Jongin, and I never considered how he would feel about the whole thing. He didn’t say much: quite a quiet guy and I get the impression he doesn’t do emotional talk. But… I could sort of tell, Jongin dying broke him almost as much as me. Sehun loved him too. We were both just victims in his goddamned web, and I can’t really blame him for what happened.’

‘So that’s why you didn’t drop-kick him?’

‘Pretty much. I can’t hit an innocent guy who’s clearly just exiting the stage of mourning.’

At that moment, Minseok butts into the conversation. ‘Baek, you’re practically burning with jealousy, calm down.’

I am not–’

‘Shut up.’ Minseok hits him around the head, earning him a deadly glare. Ignoring it, he continues, ‘Well, Kyungsoo, do you finally feel better?’

For a moment, he considers. ‘Yeah.’ He decides. ‘I do. I feel relieved. I just got closure.’ A smirk turns up his lips and he looks toward Haneul, sipping a coffee and reading a book, ‘And it looks like we’re all getting what we want.’

 

**

 

Today, the shop closes late because Haneul stays past closing time. It is already dark outside when she finally announces her leave. Tension is obvious in the air when Minseok walks her toward the door. Baekhyun drags a lingering Kyungsoo behind the bar, ‘Pretend you’re washing the cups or something. Act busy,’ he hisses urgently.

Following Baekhyun’s lead, they behind frantically doing something with their hands – anything – to seem busy.

'So, Haneul,’ Minseok buries his hands into his pockets, suddenly aware of his stance and his posture and his hair and every inch of his skin. ‘I was wondering….’ His mind goes blank, devoid of appropriate words to use.

And Haneul is blushing, a faint pink spreading through her cheeks as she glances at the ground and slots her fingers together. ‘Yes?’ She prompts.

Baekhyun is grimacing, cringing internally and muttering, ‘Do it,’ repeatedly, through gritted teeth. Kyungsoo is laughing under his breath, shoulders shaking visibly while he listens to Baekhyun seething in annoyance.

Still, Minseok is frozen, and for a heart-wrenching moment nothing happens. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo side-eye each other rather mischievously.

‘JUST KISS HER!’ They chorus loudly.

The couple are startled, turning to them in shock. Smiling, though, Minseok takes Haneul by the waist and gives her a look that says “can I?” She bites her bottom lip and nods subtly, and in the next few seconds they’re kissing. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo cheer and high five.

‘Thank God for that!’ Baekhyun throws his hands up in the air. ‘I thought you were going to get too scared.’

Four silhouettes walk out into the night, Minseok and Hanuel walking excitedly in front and Kyungsoo and Baekhyun observing from behind. Chaperoning, almost. Kyungsoo feels like he is on top of the world today, close enough to blow the stars into constellations. Briefly, again, he wonders if there is an afterlife, and if Jongin finally has what he always wanted, if he is happy. He wonders if Jongin is chaperoning him, pleased that Kyungsoo is finally settled. Either way, with his hand entwined with Baekhyun’s he feels completed. At rest. Happy.

            Healed.


a/n I apologise for the shortness of this chapter but I had a kind of writer's block going on!!!! SO yeah, the plot twist was only a very small one, but some of you who commented were right because SEHUN CAME BACK. I feel like this story is almost at a close now, so I'll post the tenth and final chapter sometime soon. I never in my wildest dreams thought that anybody would read my fic at all, let alone enjoy it, so thank you so much for reading and commenting and subscribing, it means the world to me!

Also, I'm in the process of drafting a new EXO fic, which will be quite a lot longer, so pleace anticipate for that sometime in the future