Eight

Open Wounds

For a moment, the snow seems to freeze in place where it falls. Like time held still. Like  clicking the stop button on a timer. Even the wind is still, all forces of nature hesitating, hanging on Kyungsoo’s next word. Kyungsoo, too, is paralysed, mouth hanging ajar and eyes glistening in moonlight.

‘You… what?’ His voice is timid and quiet, barely audible in the chasm of silence.

Baekhyun regrets nothing. ‘I love you.’ He says more strongly this time, sure of himself, sure of this feeling.

‘H-how do you know?’ Kyungsoo stutters. A dumb question.

Thankfully, it is met with small laughter, followed by, ‘Because I just know. This feeling can’t be matched. I want to make you breakfast and take walks with you and go to the zoo and share an ice cream cone because we’re poor... I want to work in the coffee shop and look over and see you sitting there typing away… It makes me happy…’ Something suddenly occurs to Baekhyun; that this love may be unrequited, and that his offer may be met with the bitter taste of rejection. So he covers himself. ‘I mean, my life is okay. I’m good. But life is about choices and I… I kind of chose you.’

Tears well up in Kyungsoo’s eyes, and for once it isn’t because he’s sad. ‘I love you too.’ His voice is higher than usual, for no reason other than that he is choked up. He doesn’t know what to do with his hands.

‘Thank god!’ Baekhyun sags with relief, falling forward into another embrace.

It’s freezing, but Kyungsoo wouldn’t have had this any other way. He wouldn’t change the course of the snowflakes for anything, wouldn’t have worn warmer clothes. Baekhyun’s arms are just enough. ‘You’re freezing, Kyungsoo,’ Baekhyun says, caressing his face tenderly.

‘So are you,’ he replies, teeth chattering. ‘I’ll walk you home.’

Their hands slip together almost automatically, holding onto the comfort of one another’s fingers as they walk back toward Baekhyun’s apartment. Kyungsoo has never been there.

Snow falls gracefully still, blanketing the ground around their feet. A miracle has occurred this December, Kyungsoo thinks, and considers that this makes a good title for his novel. A Miracle in December. Too cliché?

‘What are you thinking?’ Baekhyun ventures.

‘Oh, just that this is probably a miracle.’

Silently, Baekhyun agrees. His palm is laced with that of a writer whose flaws make the most picturesque of tragedies; whose life story would have broken many. Kyungsoo considers himself to have submitted to the pain, thinking that he dwells too much on the past and that he has cried much too many times. Yet, Baekhyun sees the strength in his pain. Some people probably would have committed suicide going through what he did, and yet Kyungsoo is still standing. As if by miracle.

 

**

 

Minseok gazes idly at the television, barely giving the screen his time of day. His mind is elsewhere, flitting from this to that, concentrating on anything but the motion picture.

And suddenly the door to the apartment is flung open. ‘This is my home!’ Baekhyun’s proud voice rings through the place. The response is quiet, a few mutters with the words indistinguishable. Minseok waits, peering out of the corner of his eye toward the door, holding his breath.

Two figures burst into the room; Baekhyun, with his hand in Kyungsoo’s. He attempts to suppress his grin, pausing and hoping for an announcement of sorts. Suddenly, both of them look like blushing teenagers, looking at the ground and at each other and back and Minseok. Wordless.

‘So?’ The oldest encourages them, quirking his brow.

Baekhyun gives a small giggle, ‘We…’ He hesitates, words getting lost somewhere in his brain. The sentence drops off.

Minseok doesn’t need any more than that, though, because he leaps off the sofa and rushes over to hug both of them. ‘YES!’ He cheers, gathering the two of them into his arms. ‘FINALLY! It took you both long enough.’

Kyungsoo shuffles his feet and looks down at the ground, but the smile on his face cannot be denied. Minseok punches him gently in the arm, ‘Look at you,’ he croons teasingly, ‘All shy and happy.’

Kyungsoo wriggles away. Baekhyun takes his hand gently, ‘Come on, we’ll go to my room so Minseok will stop bothering us,’ shooting his roommate a look. Unfazed, Minseok traipses back to the couch, smiling all the way.

Baekhyun’s room is homely, with three white walls and one crimson, a few dim lights around the place to radiate a warm vibe. Soft and comfortable, inviting. Kyungsoo lingers awkwardly until Baekhyun gestures for him to sit on the bed. He’s chattering excitedly, perhaps with nerves, as he darts about the room looking for something. ‘Here.’ He then announces, tugging a photo album from the top shelf of his wardrobe.

It’s sort of a scrapbook. Polaroid collage scribbled with dates and faces, occasionally with something else glued to the page. Kyungsoo turns the first page. A figure stands smiling, wrapped in a thick coat with straight blonde hair falling over his face, making a V-sign with his fingers, ‘This is my friend Zitao. He’s from China,’ Baekhyun explains, barrelling straight into a story about the past between them, about how this picture came to be. And the stories continue over each page, folding outward to reveal Baekhyun’s story. His love of photography. His dislike of Chihuahuas, his love of autumn… Each picture says something new. In the centre of the scrapbook, Baekhyun stops telling the stories and making Kyungsoo guess.

‘Okay, this guy’s name is Luhan. What d’ya think?’ Baekhyun points his finger at a tall, slim figure leaning against a wall, beanie hat pressed up against the bricks. He’s wearing a button down shirt and jeans, basketball sneakers on his feet. His expression is serious, somehow suiting a rather pretty face.

‘You met this guy in a bar, leaning on his palm, cigarette smoke twirling into the vivid haze. Taking shots because he’s sad. And you went over to this guy and said “Hey, what’s your name?” And he answers, “None of your business,” because he feels the need to act serious and tough. Pretty face, you see, so he needs to prove that he’s tougher than you are. But, being the good Samaritan that you are, you sat beside him and pet his back, asking how he is and what drove him to this. Aspiring model, probably, whose career dripped down the drain like nails on a chalkboard. You took him in, though. And that’s when you started taking in strays,’ he chuckles.

‘Strays?’ Baekhyun inquires. ‘Like you?’

Kyungsoo nods, serenity lighting up his face while he smiles. ‘Exactly like me.’

Night stretches on and neither of the two notice the numbers ticking by on the clock. Behind the doors of the bedroom, the TV switches off and Minseok treads to bed, yet the two of them are still awake and still discussing life and the universe. It is only dreary eyes and pure tiredness that ruins it, and somewhere along the line they both sink into welcome sleep on Baekhyun’s bed.

           

**

 

Daylight caresses the cheeks of both men when morning comes. It is the alarm that wakes them, an incessant beeping that drills into their dreams. ‘I have to go to work,’ Baekhyun announces, voice husky.

‘I’ll come, too,’ Kyungsoo insists, ‘But I’ll drop by my house first to get my laptop. I need to work too.’

Baekhyun hauls himself up off the bed, scratching at his temples groggily while he starts to gather clothes out of the wardrobe.

‘I’ll go wait in the living room,’ Kyungsoo tells him, exiting the bedroom. Minseok is already waiting there, eating happily at the circular table in the kitchenette area.

‘Good morning,’ he greets, smiling at Kyungsoo in a motherly way. Something that says he’s curious to ask, but somehow already knows. Kyungsoo returns the greeting with an amiable nod, sitting opposite Minseok. ‘Have fun last night?’ He asks.

‘Yeah,’ Kyungsoo smiles as he remembers the infinite conversation that went on. ‘Baekhyun’s really fun.’

Minseok suppresses laughter, pressing his lips together before saying, ‘I told you so.’

Kyungsoo shakes his head, grinning, ‘Oh, stop. I know you did.’

‘And you didn’t believe me,’ Minseok adds disapprovingly, taking another bite out of his mocha bread.

A moment later, Baekhyun emerges from the bedroom dressed in jeans and a black shirt, and even like this Kyungsoo thinks that he’s breathtaking. Because every part of him is stunning in one way or another, whether cute, or handsome, or y, or funny, or sweet… Everything about this boy is endearing. ‘Are we ready to go,’ he asks, popping some frameless glasses onto his face.

‘Sure,’ Minseok stands and immediately goes to wriggle into his coat. Kyungsoo hesitates, taking both of Baekhyun’s hands in his and smiling, ‘You look so cute in glasses.’ The words are timid and cautious, still lacking confidence. A blush creeps into his cheeks as he utters the words, but Baekhyun smiles warmly and swoops in to kiss Kyungsoo’s plump lips. Just a peck, but it floods warmth and comfort through Kyungsoo’s veins.

They walk hand in hand to the coffee shop, which is not too far from Baekhyun and Minseok’s apartment, and then Kyungsoo declares that he has to go. Baekhyun doesn’t want to let go of his hand. He wants to hold on forever, fearing that Kyungsoo might wander away and never return. A reassuring squeeze on Kyungsoo’s part. An earnest look that speaks a million words, and finally Baekhyun releases. He knows Kyungsoo won’t stray far away. Why would he?

It’s true that even Kyungsoo doesn’t want to leave, and as he exits into the cold he feels a strange sensation overwhelming his body. Dipped in melancholia and covered with a strange sombre tone. This is the kind of loneliness that comes with missing someone, even though they are only thirty seconds gone. He is left with a bittersweet feeling. Bitter, because he is alone now. Sweet, because he just slept on the same bed as Byun Baekhyun. And because Byun Baekhyun said that he loves him.

Smiles the size of Big Ben occupy his face all the bus journey home. He passes many people, oblivious to their states, wondering whether they notice. Wondering whether they spare a glance to think, “why is that man so happy?”. Because I’m in love, he replies to them all silently, thoughts mingling into a happy discombobulating mess. There is a spring in his step as he enters his house, twirling freely now that he is behind closed doors. Grinning, he sinks his back against the wall, sighs out every ounce of negativity, and falls to the floor. Giggling now. He feels as though he is on top of the world.

Burying his face in his hands, he kicks out at empty space and wriggles around. There is so much energy packed into his body; the kind of energy that comes with a reserved seat on cloud nine, a seat only for the invincibly happy.

His laptop is by his bed, and he realises that he can’t pick it up fast enough to get back to the coffee shop. To be back in Baekhyun’s presence. Oh, to be in love, and not out. Dreamily, he leaves the house again, not a thought spared to despair.

 

*

 

‘Minseok Minseok Minseok,’ Baekhyun practically bounces on his toes.

‘Yes?’ Minseok answers, not removing his eyes from his precious latte art, growing tired of Baekhyun’s exciteable state.

‘Guess what?’

‘What?’ He plays along, unwilling to upset his friend. Not that he could.

‘Kyungsoo said he loves me.’

I know. I heard it the first ten times you said it.’ Minseok snaps back a little, scowling when some of the cream spills over the lip of the ceramic.

Baekhyun’s smile fades and his head turns at an angle, ‘What’s wrong?’

‘Nothing.’

This is not the case, however, and Baekhyun knows that to be true. He watches cautiously, leaning on the back wall while Minseok scrapes away the spilled cream with the point of a tissue. His eyes flit upward, meeting with a girl’s. And suddenly Baekhyun understands. ‘Is the coffee for the cute girl?’ He lowers his voice. Coffee almost spills when Minseok jumps out of his skin, ‘What? No! I mean…. Yes… But, she’s,’ he coughs, ‘Not cute.’

‘Sure.’ Baekhyun answers, taking the cup from his hands, ‘Whatever you say.’

Kyungsoo bursts into the shop, a whirlwind of delight and indestructibility, all smiles and waves and a cheery, ‘Hello!’

Baekhyun hands the cup to the girl, giving her a swift glance up and down before darting to Kyungsoo. ‘Minseok has a crush.’ He whispers.

‘ON WHO?!’ Kyungsoo practically yells, because for some reason it seems out of place for Minseok to have a crush.

Baekhyun nods in the direction of the girl. Her hair is cropped in a bob to her shoulders, dip dyed in electric blue. She has pretty doe-eyes, large and intelligent. Her nose is buried in a book, written in English. Kyungsoo nods approvingly, ‘Pretty, seems smart. I approve. Has he spoken to her.’

‘Nah,’ Baekhyun shakes his head, ‘He’s a shy little turtle.’

'Minseok, can I get a latte please?’ Kyungsoo calls, and Minseok snaps out of his gaze just long enough to nod and turn back to the coffee machines. Both others can see that he continues to glance at the girl out of the corner of his eye. ‘Awwh, little love struck puppy.’ Baekhyun sighs, pushing Kyungsoo in the direction of his booth, ‘Now go write. Get your book done.’

Kyungsoo was never very good at beginnings. But he was excellent at endings, and he thinks that maybe this is where he went wrong whilst attempting to write a story about himself and Jongin. So he begins to write this story from the end. Perhaps this one will work out.

 

**

 

Three Months Later

A lot can change in a three month time lapse. However, it can also stay the same during the span. Minseok’s crush never returned to the coffee shop, and yet he continues to daydream about while he draws leaves into froth with drizzles of sugary scream. Kyungsoo finished his novel, working relentlessly for hours and hours on end. Baekhyun breezed through life, flitting between working, begging to read Kyungsoo’s work, and trawling the internet for new houses. He hasn’t mentioned to Kyungsoo that he is considering moving.

This particular morning is blue and bright. March spins into focus with growing daffodils and spring dew. Only Kyungsoo’s nerve blows the wind through the grass blades. He huffs and puffs as he pulls on his white dress shirt and suit trousers. Baekhyun watches idly from the bed, amused, leaning on the indent of his palms as he gazes. ‘Relax.’ He calls.

‘I can’t!’ Kyungsoo stressed, looking into the mirror for the umpteenth time, pacing the room once more, and running his hands through his hair.

‘You can.’ Baekhyun soothes gently, leaping up to gather Kyungsoo into his embrace. ‘Your book is fine. The publisher will adore it. Please relax.’

‘She asked to see me personally Baek. All she wanted at first was an e-mail. What if she tells me to change everything?’ He asks.

‘She won’t.’ Baekhyun caresses Kyungsoo’s cheek with his lips, ‘I bet she loves it, and she wants to praise you for your high standard of work.’

‘Was that sarcasm?’ Kyungsoo glares.

‘No,’ Baek laughs, hugging him, ‘It’s nine o’clock. You should go. I promise, it’ll be fine.’

Sighing in dejected irritation, Kyungsoo re-tucks his shirt into his trousers and re-adjusts his entire outfit before heading out of the door. Listen to Baekhyun, his heart begs him, because he knows that Baekhyun has never steered him wrong in all these months.

Half an hour later, a pretty receptionist invites him into the office of the publisher. Into the room of Kyungsoo’s self-proclaimed impending doom. He does a double take upon entering; doe eyes, dip-dyed bob cut trimmed in electric blue. The girl from the coffee shop.

He sits opposite her when she waves him to do so with a perfectly manicured hand. ‘Hello, Mr Do, my name is Park Hanuel.’ She announces herself, offering a handshake. He shakes her hand lightly, rather speechless with nerves.

‘You seem nervous,’ she observes, ‘Please, relax. Your book was excellent. Immaculate, in fact. I just wanted to talk to you about certain details.’

‘Certain… details?’ He stammers, sick with anxiety.

Haneul rests her chin elegantly on her slender fingers, ‘Yes. Such as, your motivation for the novel. I was extremely intrigued by the theme and the intention. It really struck an emotion chord with me, Kyungsoo – can I call you that? – and I wondered what on earth possessed you to write this way.’

‘Well, umm…’ He hesitates, ‘My life has been a rollercoaster. I’ve been through a lot.’ He is unwilling to share any more than this, instead looking down at the glass desk.

She nods in understanding, ‘Wow. I won’t ask you to share more. But, in all honesty, your style of writing is impeccable. Marvellous, really. I’ve never come across a novel as striking. I can’t wait to publish this.’

‘Thank you so much,’ he gushes on an exhalation, sagging with relief.

‘It’s no problem at all,’ she smiles genuinely. Kyungsoo decides that he likes her. She would be good for Minseok.

‘Secondly, Kyungsoo, as soon as you walked through that door, I felt like I have seen you before somewhere. Have I?’

‘Oh, yes…’ He feels ashamed to remember, in case she misunderstands, ‘In the coffee shop on the road three streets away from the park.’

‘Ah! I remember!’ She exclaims, ‘The one with the cute barista.’ And then her hand flies to , ‘Oops, that was unprofessional.’

‘That’s alright,’ Kyungsoo smirks. ‘My friend owns that coffee shop.’

Hanuel stands with a sigh, indicating for Kyungsoo to do the same. ‘I apologise for taking time out of your day when our meeting was only so short, but I was simply intrigued to see the face behind the word.’ She smiles again. ‘I’ll make sure to drop by the coffee shop again soon. Tell the owner it’s a lovely place.’ She winks with one of her big eyes, and Kyungsoo feels a warm sensation filling him up.

Perhaps Minseok, too, will receive a happy ending.


a/n HI GUYS! I apologise for 
a) not updating in forever
b) updating with a short chapter
also, I think this one was slightly boring and maybe a little all over the plase, so I'm sorry. Anyways, I hope you like it. AND IT LOOKS LIKE THERE WILL BE A HAPPY ENDING AFTER ALL. There's going to be one more chapter and a sort of epiloque for chapter ten. PLEASE ANTICIPATE BECAUSE THERE COULD BE A PLOT TWIST!!!!