Prologue: Meet the Fellas

Favorite Disturbance

 

“You should know this! Oh, my God!” A girl shrieked out as she ran towards a clique who was busy chatting in front of the class. The other girls immediately turned their head to the hysteric girl and shot her with looks full of curiosity. “You know, the soccer captain, Byun Baekhyun, just smiled at me!” the girl announced as she emphasize each of her words, which resulted in another shriek from each girls.

“Oh, lucky you!”

“I wish I was you!”

“How could you manage to stay sane? Gee!”

And ooooother never-ending comment-and-responds.

 

But one girl didn't seem to feel the same.

 

Han Sera who was sitting on a bench which was not far from the hysterical girls, finally got her blood reached the top of her head. She wondered why they were so noisy and annoying just because of a smile from a boy. She wondered why the other girls who were not in the talks seem to get hysteric as well, like they were jealous or stuff. She wondered how good the soccer captain Byun Blabla was.

She was sure he must not be better than the basketball captain slash the head of student body.

And right when Sera was thinking about him, he walked in front of Sera, hands tucked in his trousers' pockets as he look straight to the front. He was effortlessly cool since he was made handsome –at least that's what Sera want to think, because, come on, she actually had seen his photo before highschool, he must have done something to his face with surgery or maybe some skincare products. But the fact that he is the captain of the school's basketball team, who scores a lot, and also active in academic organization which is the student body, made him got a 100 from Han Sera.

He was Wu Yi Fan. A Chinese-Canadian student, rich as hell, and also popular as hell. The Byun boy and Kris Wu were in the same place with the captain of the Taekwondo team. Same place in what? Popularity, of course. Three of them are handsome, talented, and smart. It was clinically tested and academically tested, the fans said. But Sera only knew Yi Fan best since she was close enough with him. It was a professional relation since Sera often got the honour to represent the school for some competitions and Yi Fan often helped her for the information and some documents needed. The student body at her school works like a counsellor as well, since the headmaster thought that student problems were meant to be solved with other students as well. Some teacher and students actually against it, but, they can do nothing. The headmaster is just too powerful and stubborn.

 

After adoring Yi Fan silently for a while, Sera was pulled back to the reality, that she was annoyed by the clique standing three meters on her left side. She finally decided to stand up and left the bench to walk to a quieter place.

But another voice called her, “Sera!”

Sera knew that voice really well, it was Song Jihoon. She could say that Jihoon was her only friend, together with Yoon Taeyong who was a Taekwondo athlete. Sera wasn't that kind of person who's close with so many people, and she chose to play with boys because they were more reliable, not really noisy, and also hit-able. Sera likes to hit whenever she's annoyed and mad, that's why she needs boys who would not complain about her hit. And those two were qualified.

 Jihoon waved his hand which was not holding a closed Nintendo DS, “Where are you going? Library?”

“Where else?” Sera said, waiting until Jihoon arrived at her side.

“Annoyed by the fangirls again?”

“You know me really well, Song Jihoon.” Sera drew a little smile as she started walking, with Jihoon following her steps.

“Why don't we try to watch the soccer boys playing? I heard that they are versing with another sports' boys today.” Jihoon paused to greet his friend who walked pass by. “Taeyong is there, and your majesty Wu Yi Fan as well.”

Sera who was actually going to reject Jihoon's request, suddenly stopped to look at him, searching his eyes, Sera is good at detecting lies from someone's eyes, Jihoon knows that. But Sera didn't find any lies in his eyes, maybe a little eyedirt in the corner of his left eye.

Sera walked again, now heading to the soccer field, “Well, let's go and support Taeyong.”

Jihoon was going to make fun of Sera when she talked again, “Wash your face thoroughly next time, you left something in your left eye.”

“What?” Jihoon abruptly stopped to rub his eyes, even though Sera was his best friend, it's still embarrassing to have a girl finding out some dirt on his face.

 

As soon as they got into the soccer field, the noise of the fangirls attacked their ears. Jihoon was actually okay with that, but Sera was not. She immediately pulled her beanie up to cover her head –or ears, besides, it was summer and she need something to cover her head, preventing it becoming hot and making her dizzy.

“There, there's a place near the tree, come on.” Jihoon said, grabbing Sera's hand and walked quickly to the seat before it got occupied. It was a nice place to sit, protected from the direct sunlight, and had a good view, they can see both goals from there with an almost balanced distance.

They sat down in relief and started looking for Taeyong, he need to know that his friends were watching, that Sera who wasn't into soccer, finally sat on the audience bench to watch a soccer game.

“Taeyong!” Jihoon yelled when he found the guy, Taeyong was easy to recognize, he has a lean and tall body, his hair was pitch black and always pushed back neatly (not in a nerdy way, but in a very cool way), it was different with Jihoon's hair which was a little brownish and too soft –so that it's hard to style his hair, it easily falls down naturally.

Taeyong whose hearings were sharp, eventually turn around to the voice and waved to them. He was clearly shocked that Sera came to watch, he nearly laughed in disbelief. But then Jihoon immediately gestured his head to Yi Fan who was standing not too far from Taeyong, and Taeyong smiled in acknowledge. Sera didn't know about that, though.

 

Sera knew she wouldn't like the idea of agreeing Jihoon, it was too hot and dry, and also noisy with fangirls screaming their own idol's names. And she was sure she heard a lot of Byun Baekhyun. Or Baekhyung. Or Paekhyun. Or whatever it was. All that Sera could do to refresh her mind was only by looking at Yi Fan, or maybe clapping when Taeyong scored a goal. Well, Yi Fan is a bit in soccer, Sera admitted, Taeyong was much better. But no one can be good at all things, right?

And, once again, Sera unknowingly took a look at the Byun boy. Sera was still curious about how good he was, until so many girls fell head over heels for him. Sera was wondering whether he has another ability, like art, or literature. Sera was wondering whether his good marks in school subjects were true or just some cheap hoax. Sera was wondering a lot of things about him until she didn't realize that the game was over.

That Byun Baekhyun was looking straight back at her after scoring his last goal.

 

“Oh, my God! He's looking at me after scoring the last goal!” Another girl shrieked after the referee blew the whistle.

No, it was not Han Sera. It was someone behind her. And then the girl in front of Sera picked a fight with the previous girl for the 'he was looking at me' moment. Sera immediately grabbed Jihoon's hand and stride out of the benches, walking towards Taeyong who was waiting at the edge of the field with his hands on his own waist.

“And Yoon Taeyong was running straight to the goal andddddd goaaaaal!” Jihoon imitated the commenter before jumping onto Taeyong.

“Gosh, I wished for Sera, actually! Not an elephant like you, get off!” Taeyong tried to free himself from Jihoon, because, for God's sake, Jihoon is really heavy despite his skinny look. It was because he bought the S uniform and didn't intend to buy the larger size because he thought it's cool.

“Well, not intending to make you feel disappointed, I will never jump onto you, Mr. Yoon.” Sera said, arms crossed yet a smile was drawn on her face. “Congratulations.”

“We lost.” Taeyong said after pushing Jihoon down and straightening up his t-shirt.

“Congratulations for being so awesome and scoring two goals for your team.”

“Aww~” Taeyong put an amused face as he pouted his mouth cutely and clamped his hands together beside his right cheek. “So sweet.”

“N-ah, I didn't say that to see you acting gross like that.” Sera laughed a little as she pushed Taeyong's broad shoulder.

“I'm awesome, right? Your majesty was an actual trash in soccer.” Taeyong said, referring to Yi Fan. “Yet I would still be awesome in basketball. He lost a point from me.”

“What point?” Sera asked.

“Miss Han Sera's point. I think I just won a bonus point, how much is mine now?”

“Hey,” Jihoon finally spoke again after making sure that his Nintendo was okay. “Your majesty's hundred points is an absolute. With borders on each side.” He said as he moved her index fingers downward, making a pair of straight lines which was a symbol for an absolute number.

“At least I'm not zero like you, cutie.” Taeyong said as he cupped Jihoon's face with his hands, resulting in Sera's protest, “Not here~!”

Sera was watching the guys fighting when her shoulder brushed with another's, she automatically turned her head to see Byun Baekhyun, who brushed shoulders with her, smiling at her. And her brain worked harder to make sure that her eyes weren't wrong.

Which was done by Byun Baekhyun as well.

 

Baekhyun was sure that every single girl would shriek hysterically once he gave them his smile, some of them might run or fall to their knees as well. But the previous girl didn't act the same. She was like... zoning out. No, she looked like not amused or something, that's worse.

He unknowingly smelled his own scent while walking, making sure that he didn't smell that bad even after doing sport. And it stole his friend's attention.

“What's wrong? Feeling smelly?” Kim Jongdae asked, he was actually Baekhyun's friend in the music club but joined the soccer team as well, as a substitute.

“Do you think so?” Baekhyun took a look at Jongdae, inwardly asking Jongdae to smell his scent thoroughly, and Jongdae did a little sniffing and moving his head in a circle.

“Nope, just a regular smell of sweat but not so smelly, what's wrong?” Jongdae walked again to the washroom with Baekhyun following.

“No, forget it.” Baekhyun said as his hand touched the sleeve of his own uniform, “Not really soaked, too.” he said, almost whispering to himself.

 

“Well, we finally proved that Wu Yi Fan is only good in dunking.” Jongdae said as he took his t-shirt off, throwing it to the dirty clothes basket. “Whoo! See? I am good at it, as well!”

Baekhyun laughed, “Let me give it a try. Whoop!” But his uniform didn't get into the basket. “Well, I'm still the best at soccer. Weeeee are the champion, my frieeeeend.” he opened his arms, closing his eyes, and started singing ‘We are the Champion’ by Queen with Jongdae, as if they were celebrating a big win. One thing to say, they were not alone, there were the other players as well but they still did that shamelessly, even theatrically.

The others didn't care, though, the two were known as twins. They are both shameless, even though Baekhyun is more shameless in expressing his feelings. They are both loud as well, and witty. Every single body at school knew them, and also Park Chanyeol who are just as loud as them –only his voice appear to be deeper- plus the little Do Kyungsoo who seem to be the neutralizer.

Kyungsoo was the vice head of the student body, one of the main vocalists in the music club, said to be the boy version of Han Sera, only much colder because he always put the 'stay away from me if you don't know me or else I'll stab you' face. Yet he was respected a lot by the fellow students.

Meanwhile Park Chanyeol was the drummer in the music club, he's the head of the so-called-drummers-community at school, he made it by himself to build the pride of drummers. He has the principle that “Even though we are placed behind the stage, we still are the beat of the song, like a heart of the human.”  Yet he is actually good in playing almost all of the musical instruments.

 

After finished showering, Baekhyun wandered alone because Jongdae had to attend a Calculus class. His History class was cancelled since Mr. Gu couldn't come, so he decided to wander around the school as he thought staying at class would be really boring.

“Ah~ everyone's at class now. So boring.” He said before gulping some from his orange juice bottle. He sealed the bottle again while his eyes looking around, reading each label hanging above every room's door. Trying to look for a destination.

And his eyes arrived on 'The Library'.

“It's not a bad idea, Byunnie~” He chirped to himself as he walked to the room which was larger than the others.

“Hello~” He said quietly as he opened the door, only to be replied by a polite nod from the young librarian whose station was placed beside the main door. Then Baekhyun started to walk around the, actually, really, large room which was neatly filled with various books.

The library was painted in broken white and smelled really good –the air freshener had different fragrance every day, and that day was Coffee- that gives the reader serenity. Baekhyun was entranced by the goodness of the place, he regret a bit that he had just dropped by that day after almost two years studying there. They played classical song in the most tolerable volume for reading too, and Baekhyun thought it was perfect. He didn't want to waste the moment and immediately walked to one of the seven alleys to find some books to read.

Baekhyun is not really into books, so he was hoping that at least one-sixteenth of the books are comics or something fun. He ran his fingers on the side of the books to sort something fun out of them, but there were too many thick books with 9pt font size, he almost thought of giving up.

 

But then a light of hope him.

 

Well, not a light of hope, actually. It's just another reason to stay in the cosy library. It was the girl he brushed his shoulder with earlier. The one who showed unamused expression when he smiled at her.

 

Baekhyun walked towards Sera with his hands tucked in the pockets of his pants, trying to be as cool as possible. Sera didn't know about the boy who stepped confidently to her, she was just too drowned in John Green's writings about Miles Halter and Alaska Young. She was just too busy drawing her own imaginations of the scenes written in the book to notice Baekhyun's effort to look cool.

“Hey,” Said Baekhyun once he arrived in front of Sera, moving the chair across her for him to sit. “Hello.”

Sera merely moved her eyes from the book to the boy who's already sitting in front of her, hands propping his head by the chin, a boyish smile was plastered on his face.

“What?”

Baekhyun's eyebrows furrowed at the respond, “Wow, can you teach me?”

“What?” Sera said again, only with a different tone, in disbelief and confusion.

“You're really cool, can you teach me how to be cool like you?” Baekhyun lengthened his previous question, trying to make it clear, smile plastered again on his face.

This time, Sera's eyebrows was the one which got knitted all of a sudden.

“You're ridiculous.”

“Thanks!” Baekhyun chirped, “Heard that before.”

“You're awful.”

“Wow,” Baekhyun changed his expression to the different one, “Never heard that before. They always say that I am awesome, with a high tone, or shrieks for girls.”

Sera finally put her book on the table after noting the last page she read. She leaned forward to look at Baekhyun, and then clicked her tongue.

“You are the captain of the soccer team that the girls always shrieked for, aren't you?”

Baekhyun nodded happily, “Yup! Hello!”

“What are you doing here?” Sera asked, referring here to the table she's in.

“I saw you frowned when our shoulders brushed, may I know why?”

“You're sweaty.”

“Gotcha!” Baekhyun snapped his fingers, satisfied by the answer. “I know that, I'm sorry! But you don't hate me, right?”

“What if I do?”

“Well, you must be lying.”

“Why are you so over-confident? It's not that all of the people here likes you, you know?”

“Wow, your tongue must be made of knife.”

“Heard that before.” Sera stood up, taking her book, and looked at Baekhyun once again. “Thank you.”

“For?”

“For ruining my reading time.”

“Is that a sarcasm?”

Sera didn't reply, she merely walked away with a tight-closed mouth, leaving Byun Baekhyun dumbfounded.

“Whoa. Unbelievable.” Baekhyun said, eyes plastered on her back until it's gone, as if he was learning it so that he would recognize it once he saw it again.

He loves curiosity and she just gave him a big amount of it to solve.