Small Steps

Ghost Of You

 

 

 

 

 

Nobody's POV

 

 

 

"It's just you said that it wasn't fair that you got to meet me and that your wife didn't, so if I went with you to her grave then she would get to meet me right?" Jess asked.

 

"You would do that for my wife?" Soo asked.

 

"Yes of course." Jess smiled.

 

"Wow, thank you, that would make her so happy."

 

"Did you want to go now?" Jess asked.

 

"Um not now but......." Soo stood up and started looking around the library so Jess followed her.

 

"Are you looking for someone?"

 

"I just don't understand why Fany's not here with me right now. I mean you're her favourite author so why would she disappear now?"

 

Soo then stuck her head around the final aisle.

 

"BOO!!." Fany yelled out.

 

"Oh my god Fany, you scared me."

 

"I'm sorry but I couldn't resist. So you were looking for me?"

 

"Yes you're not going to believe this but your favourite author is here." Soo said happily. "Come and meet her." Soo said as she reached for Fany's hand.

 

"Why can't I hold your hand?" Soo said as she reached for her hand again. "I can see your hand but I can't hold it. I want to hold your hand Fany." Soo said sadly.

 

"It's because I'm not real Soo."

 

Soo looked down at her hand and then back up at Fany but she wasn't there anymore.

 

"She's not real......." Soo whispered to herself.

 

Jess than stood in front of Sooyoung. "But I'm real though. If you want to hold someone's hand then you can hold mine if you like."

 

"I think you should stay away from me Jess."

 

"Why, I'm sorry I didn't mean to upset you."

 

"You didn't upset me...... but I'm not good for you to be spending time with. I'm crazy........ wow there really is no doubting it, I really am crazy."

 

"And what is crazy anyway, huh....... who gets to define crazy?" Jess asked.

 

"People, all the people that look at me and see me talking to my wife who's already dead....... that's who."

 

"Just because all those people think you're crazy doesn't actually mean that you are crazy."

 

"Jess come on..... I know you're just trying to make me feel better. But the facts are I still try to keep my wife close to me by pretending she's still alive. Now if that's not crazy then I don't know what is."

 

"So tell me Sooyoung, out of all those people that think you're crazy......... just how many of them do you think have been through what you have. I'll tell you how many.....NONE!!! Because if they had to deal with the death of their wife so young I can sure as hell tell you that they wouldn't think you were crazy cause they would know just how much it hurts."

 

"But it needs to stop.....I need to stop. I can't keep pretending she's here when she's not..... how do I make it stop?" Soo asked desperately.

 

"Small steps Soo, you just need to take small steps and I can try to help you. Please let me help you."

 

"Why though? Why do you want to help me?" Soo asked.

 

"I can see how much you're hurting and I can't really explain why I want to help you but I just do."

 

"You said small steps, so what should be my first small step?"

 

"Your first small step should be coming to the ice cream shop with me now." Jess smiled.

 

"I can't though....."

 

"Why not?" Jess asked.

 

"Because people that know me could see me and think that I'm dating someone already. It's far too soon for me to be dating someone yet and then they'll all hate me."

 

"Wait a minute, let's get this straight ...... You and I are going to an ice cream shop as new friends to eat some ice cream. If anyone wants to think that there's anymore to it than that, well Soo that's their problem. You can't live your life through other peoples eyes, live your life doing what you want to do not what you think other people want you to do."

 

"Well I really would like to have some ice cream but how is this a small step and will it really help me?" Soo asked.

 

"Okay so when's the last time you went anywhere besides your home or this library?"

 

"I went to the cemetery and the doctor one day."

 

"But have you been anywhere else?"

 

"Um....... no...."

 

"And that's why it's a small step because we're going somewhere you haven't been since........ well since your Fany passed away."

 

"Oh....."

 

"Is she with you right now?" Jess asked.

 

Soo had a look around. "No...."

 

"So will you come with me to get some ice cream?"

 

"Um.... okay yes I'll go with you."

 

Jess felt a smile take over her face. She couldn't really explain why she wanted to help Sooyoung so desperately, all she knew is that she wanted to be a part of Soo's life and help her to experience some fun and happiness again.

 

Jess drove Soo to the ice cream shop. They sat down at a table to eat.

 

"Wow you look so happy when you're eating." Jess smiled.

 

"Fany is my first love and food is my second love."

 

"Well I did kind of cheat because I asked Yoona what sort of things you liked and she told me I couldn't go wrong with food."

 

"Oh what else did she tell you?" Soo asked.

 

"Movies, music, cooking and silly dancing."

 

"Silly dancing?"

 

"Fany told her that you like to do silly dancing all the time."

 

Soo laughed. "I guess I did do a lot of silly dancing in front of Fany."

 

She looks so happy right now. She really is gorgeous though, I swear I could get lost in her eyes all day, thought Jess.

 

When they finished Jess drove Soo back to the library.

 

"So going to the ice cream shop with me wasn't that bad was it?"

 

"No..... thanks for taking me." Soo smiled.

 

"Can we maybe do something together tomorrow?" Jess asked.

 

"Um..... I don't know."

 

"You don't know? Well I'll just take that as a no then."

 

"What did you want to do?" Soo asked.

 

"I was thinking of seeing a movie."

 

"Um..... I guess I could go with you."

 

"Yay, just give me your address and I'll come pick you up tomorrow. Oh and could I have your phone number too?" Jess asked.

 

 

Later that night......

 

 

Sooyoung sat silently on her sofa just thinking things through.

 

"Oh hey, you're back." said Soo.

 

"You look like you need someone to talk to."

 

"Fany would you be angry at me if I go to the movies with Jess tomorrow?"

 

"She's your new friend and she's trying to help you get over me, so why would I be angry."

 

"But isn't it too soon for me to be going out and having fun?"

 

"Baby you're only going to see a movie with your new friend. You need to be doing stuff like that again."

 

"But you won't be there. The last time I went to the movies was with you and I want to go to the movies with you again but I can't........... I miss you........(sob)......." Soo looked across to see that Fany wasn't there anymore.

 

She's not real Soo........... she's not real............ she's gone and she's not coming back. I need to try and move forward somehow.......... so instead of trying to talk to Fany I need to talk to someone real, she told herself.

 

She called Yuri.

 

"Hi Soo."

 

"Yuri-ah I really need somone to talk to right now but I don't want to be a bother to you." 

 

"You're not a bother to me and I'll be there in five minutes okay?"

 

"Thanks."

 

Oh my god finally...... finally she wants to talk to me. She hasn't been talking to me or her family lately, only to the pretend Fany she imagines. I'm so happy that she called me, thought Yuri.

 

Soo opened the door for Yuri when she arrived.

 

"Hi Soo, so what did you want to talk to me about?"

 

They both sat down on the sofa.

 

"I met this girl at the library, she's best friends with Yoona. You know the librarian that was good friends with Fany."

 

"Yes."

 

"Well she wants to try and help me take small steps towards learning to deal with Fany's death. So she took me to the ice cream shop today and she wants to take me to the movies tomorrow. Do you think it's too soon for me to be having fun again?"

 

"No Soo it's not too soon. You need to get back to doing some normal things again. So does this girl like you?" 

 

"Yeah she says she feels connected to me because I keep reading Fany's favourite book at the library and you'll never guess  it but she's actually the author."

 

"Oh my god seriously, she wrote Fany's favourite book?"

 

"Yep, it's a small world isn't it?"

 

"Wow yes, but Soo when I asked if she liked you I meant does she like you more than a friend."

 

"Oh no she doesn't like me like that, just as a friend."

 

"Well I actually think it's great that your starting to do things again. I'm really glad that you met this girl if she's got you starting to go out again." Yuri smiled.

 

"Okay I guess I'll still go with her to the movies tomorrow then."

 

"Yes you should go and maybe you could organise for her to come over one night to meet me since i'm your best friend and all." Yuri smiled.

 

"Why do you want to ask her out?"

 

"No I just want to meet this girl that's finally getting you to have some fun again."

 

"Okay well maybe we could have a pizza night here on the weekend and I can invite Jess and Yoona."

 

"Saturday night is good for me, see if they can come then."

 

"Okay I'll ask Jess at the movies tomorrow."

 

 

The next day.......

 

 

Jess arrived to pick Sooyoung up.

 

"Hi Jess."

 

"Hi Soo."

 

"Are you looking forward to seeing a movie?" Jess asked.

 

"Um yes but I must admit it kind of feels really strange for me because normally I go to the movies with Fany."

 

"Well it would feel strange for you but it's just another small step for you Soo."

 

"I know so I took a small step yesterday and I'm taking another one today. So does that mean I get tomorrow off?" Soo asked with a smile.

 

"Are you sick of taking small steps with me already?"

 

"No I was only joking."

 

Jess smiled at her. "Um Soo are we alone today or is Fany with us?"

 

"It's just you and me."

 

"Really?"

 

"I haven't seen Fany at all today." said Soo.

 

"And do you feel like that's bad or good?"

 

"Well from a not feeling so crazy point of view it's good but I'm not sure what to think of it really."

 

"Maybe you're slowly starting to see what's real and what's not now."

 

"I guess I'm just starting to realize that it's not good for me to talk to an imaginary Fany when I should be talking to my friends and family."

 

"Wow you've only taken a few small steps and I can already see a difference in you." Jess smiled.

 

When they got to the movie cinema they bought their snacks and sat down in their seats. They both sat happily eating the food while the movie came on.

 

Soo couldn't help but notice the couple in front of them being affectionate with each other it reminded her of the last time she went to the movies with Fany. As much as she tried to stop them, tears began to fall down her face.

 

She wiped her tears but that got Jess's attention. She whispered to Soo. "What's wrong?"

 

"Nothing I just need to go to the toilet. I'll be back soon."

 

But Jess knew there was something wrong with her, so she followed her to the toilet.

 

"Soo you're upset, please tell me why?"

 

"It's okay I'm just being silly that's all."

 

"If something's making you cry then it's not silly. Please tell me?"

 

"I just got upset watching the lovely couple hugging and stealing kisses in front of us. It just reminded me of the last time I went to the movies with Fany."

 

"I'm so sorry for bringing you here. I should of known that if you saw other couples that it might upset you."

 

"It's okay Jess."

 

"No it's not, I was suppose to be taking small steps with you and I just made you take a big step. I really am sorry."

 

"Honestly it's fine but I'm here now so we may as well watch the rest of the movie." said Soo.

 

"Are you sure you'll be okay?"

 

"Yeah but........ um if you're feeling bad for bringing me here, there is something you could do to make up for it."

 

"What's that?"

 

"Would you and Yoona please come over my place on Saturday night for a pizza night with me and my best friend?"...........