Gran

Once Upon a Fairytale

Jongin heard the first knock just as he finished moving his small dinner table to make more in his already small cabin. “COMING!” he yelled, moving a stray chair away to reach the front door. He unlocked it and swung it open to reveal Sehun and Baekhyun holding a container full of Jessica’s famous iced tea and an apple pie respectively.

“There are no scissors that you hid to surprise attack my hair right?” Sehun asked suspiciously, eyeing the drawer that Jongin kept beside the door for miscellaneous items. Jongin held up his hands in mock surrender.

“I promise there are no such things lying around,” Jongin said as Baekhyun chuckled.

 

Sehun and Baekhyun made their way inside and settled on the only two chairs that Jongin had, chatting with each other and a bustling Jongin who was still tying up loose ends around the cabin. Joonmyun came a short while after, followed Yixing, Minseok and Zitao soon after.

 

Pretty soon the whole cabin was a madhouse, obnoxious laughter and yelling could be heard from far away. Everyone was currently gathered around Minseok who was trying to catch grapes that were throw into the air with his mouth. They all tried it but Minseok seemed to be the best at it which brought him into the spotlight.

 

As the night grew late and the food dissipated, everyone gathered in the centre of Jongin’s small living room, some making themselves comfortable on the floors while other lounged on chairs. Pleasant conversations were exchanged and laughter was shared once more. Everyone didn’t want to leave for work the next day but that’s what you do in Fable Town. Wake up, go to work, hang out with the same set of friends that you’ve known your whole life and repeat. Habits do not change.

 

When the conversations began to simmer, people started packing up to leave. As everyone quietly helped each other out, Jongin’s memory suddenly came back to his mind. On a whim, Jongin blurted out what had been bothering him the whole day.
“Do you guys…know about fairytales?” he asked hesitantly, realizing too late what he just asked.

Baekhyun gave him a strange look. “You mean like Hansel and Gretel? Cinderella? Of course, who doesn’t know what a fairytale is?”
Jongin looked at his feet before asking his second question.
“Do…you guys believe in fairytales?”

Every pair of eyes were trained on Jongin, confusion etched in every one of their faces.

“Don’t be silly Jongin,” Joonmyun started, “Fairytales are merely children’s stories. They’re a enjoyable read, sure, but of course they’re not true.”

The others all nodded and murmured their agreements.

 

Jongin sighed. He knew he was delirious. “Ah, just wondering. Anyways, you guys should get going, we all need to get to work-“

 

--

 

Jongin was helping an elderly woman sit up. He gently laid her against the cold stone wall and handed her a blanket. “Here, I bought this for you granny. Now you don’t have to be cold when you’re sleeping,” he said with a warm smile. The old woman smiled back, her eyes crinkling, still full of life and energy.
“You my boy have done me great deeds that I cannot repay. You treat me as if I am your true grandmother yet I am not.”
“Don’t worry about it gran! It’s my job to ensure the safety and comfort of this town. You can see me as Jongin the Great,” he said, puffing his chest out proudly.

The old woman laughed with glee. “You might want to work on a new name my boy,” she chuckled. Jongin sighed. “Yeah, maybe Jongin the Great is a little too overboard. Anyways, here’s a loaf of bread and,” Jongin looked around to make sure none of the King’s men were near him, “Here’s a gold coin. Buy something nice for yourself okay gran?”
Tears gathered at the corners of the woman’s eyes. “Thank you my child. I will forever be in your debt.” She leaned forward and kissed Jongin gently on the cheek.

Jongin smiled. “What debt?” he asked, standing up. “There is none. I’ll see you soon granny!” With that, Jongin ran out of the alleyway, onto another mischievous adventure.

 

--

 

“I think he’s waking up!”

“Sehun you said that five minutes ago.”
“No but I actually think he’s waking up this time! Look he’s moving!”
“Everyone move away from him, he needs some space.”

 

Jongin opened his eyes only to shut them again with a groan because of the brightness. “Where am I?” he mumbled grumpily, rubbing his eye with the back of his hand.

“You are at my house Jongin.”

Jongin looked up to see Minho hovering over him with his various different doctor instruments laid out beside him.

“When you fainted your friends rushed you to me as soon as they could. Luckily you didn’t hit your head on anything particularly hard or sharp when you fell and your vital signs seem to be good. I think you may have fainted due to exhaustion or dehydration. Whatever the cause is, I suggest you take a day off tomorrow and just rest at home.”

 

Jongin was about to protest; was about to tell the about his second “vision” when something stopped him. There was a gleam in Minho’s eyes that he didn’t like. Maybe it was better to hold his tongue and re-tell his tale at a more suitable time.
“Thanks Dr. Choi I’ll do just that tomorrow.”

Jongin swing his legs over the edge of the couch he was lying on. All his friends were there, apparently watching him the whole time.
“How long was I out?”

“We brought you here right after you passed out. Luckily Yixing drove his pickup truck so we all hopped on and he drove you here. I’d say you woke up around five minutes after we laid you down so you were out for approximately 10 minutes all together,” Zitao stated matter-of-factly.

 

“Wow, good thing I wasn’t unconscious for long. Sorry for the trouble Dr. Choi, we better leave you so you can rest,” Jongin said, standing up with a slight wobble.
Minho smiled at them. “It’s no problem, just doing my job! I’ll see you all in town sometime,” he said, guiding them towards the front door.

After exchanging more farewells, everyone piled into Yixing’s pickup truck once more. Because Jongin was “still weak” according to Minseok, he got shotgun, with Minseok and Joonmyun in the seats behind him. Zitao, Sehun and Baekhyun had the pleasure of riding in the back, the wind weaving through their hair as the truck picked up speed. Sehun didn’t look very thrilled about his hair getting tangled.

 

One by one, each boy was dropped off at their homes until Jongin was left in the car with Yixing. (Yixing had dropped Minseok off first because Minseok claimed to be tired. Their house was the closest to Dr. Choi’s anyways.) When Jongin got out of the car, Yixing rolled the window down.
“Take care of yourself okay? I better not see you at work tomorrow,” he said before waving goodbye.

Jongin laughed and nodded, waving until the truck was a mere dot in the distance.

 

Slowly Jongin made his way into his cabin, cleaning everything before heading to his small bathroom to wash up. As he brushed his teeth, he frowned at himself in the mirror. He didn’t know what to make of his sudden recalled memories. The fact that he passed out alone was enough to push his mind into a constant state of unease.

 

When he finished doing everything, he climbed up the ladder that lead to his bed in the loft. Pulling the covers up to his chin, Jongin thought and thought about what was happening to him. After what seemed like hours of attempting to find a solution to his problem, Jongin finally gave up and fell into a fitful rest. 

 

 

A/N good gosh it's been three chapters in two days, this will never happen again folks hahaha. I think it's because I'm watching the series as I write and it inspires me...or something like that I don't know. What is Jongin having memories about? Why can't he remember any life outside of Fable Town? Who is Doctor Choi? WELL if you want to find out I highly suggest subscribing. If you like what you've read so far, please upvote so I know you enjoy it! Have any speculations? Leave what you think in the comments. That's all, see you in the next chapter!