Dr. Choi

Once Upon a Fairytale

Jongin didn’t have much time to ponder over the sudden intrusion of his mind because the tiny bells that he hung on the corner of his front door jingled. He looked up from his tools to see a man in a pressed white lab coat holding a briefcase. The man’s hair was swept neatly away from his forehead and his shoes were nicely polished.

 

Jongin raised a brow.

“Doctor Choi, what a pleasant surprised. Haven’t seen you in town for a while.”
“Jongin, pleasure seeing you again. Please, just call me Minho when we’re not in the office,” the doctor replied, an exaggeratedly polite smile on his face. Jongin replied with an equally exaggerated smile while gesturing to the chair. “Well, make yourself comfortable! Grab some magazines if you want. I just need to drop this back into the storage room,” Jongin said, waving the sharpening block a bit before slipping away.

 

Doctor Choi or Minho was the resident doctor in Fable Town. He lived in his own mansion on the outskirts of the town, closer to the entrance. One thing that Fabletons hated the most was getting sick or injured because that meant a visit to Doctor Choi. There were these vibes about Minho that made everyone uneasy and on edge. Sehun used to joke that it was his sickeningly fake smiles and his “stick up the ” way of talking. Whatever it was, Fabletons tended to steer clear of the lonesome man as much as they could.

 

As Jongin made his way back to Minho, he saw the other man examining Jongin’s scissors that he laid on the counter before going to the storage room. Creepy Jongin thought, a slight shiver running through his body. Regardless of his feelings, Jongin put on another fake smile and grabbed the black gown for Minho to wear.

“How would you like your hair cut?” Jongin asked, fastening the Velcro but behind Minho’s nape.
“Just a trim please,” Minho replied with another smile, setting the scissors back on the ledge. Jongin managed a small nod before setting off to do his job.

 

Twenty minutes later, Jongin had cut, washed and dried Minho’s hair and he was yet again standing at the front door with his briefcase in hand.
“Thank you Jongin. Take care, I’ll see you soon,” Minho said cheerily before leaving the barber shop. Well, I really hope I don’t have to Jongin thought with another shiver before making his way to sweep up the mess on the floor.

 

--

 

By noon Jongin had just finished cleaning and was ravenous. He had accidentally tipped over the garbage can spilling all the contents messily onto the floor once more. The time it took to finish sweeping yet again made him an extremely unhappy camper. He flipped his sign to “BE BACK SOON!” before he left the shop, hands stuffed in his pockets again. He made his way to the diner where he could already hear the immense noise being emitted from the interior of the building.

 

Going inside he found all his friends already chowing down on some tasty toast, courtesy of Chef Jessica. When they heard the door open, they all turned to welcome the newcomer.

“Someone’s late. What gives, you’re always the first one here,” Sehun said, serving Jongin a plate as he took his seat beside Yixing.
“I actually had a customer. For once,” Jongin replied, ripping a huge chunk from his toast.

That gathered everyone’s attention.

“You’re kidding right?” Joonmyun asked around a mouthful of food.
“I wish I was,” Jongin said with a grimace. He took another bite of his toast to please his growling stomach. 

“Well, who was it? Someone from outside?” Baekhyun asked. He was already done his toast.

Jongin scoffed. “Baek, no one ever comes to Fable Town from outside. You know that. It was Doctor Choi,” Jongin said, his voice suddenly dropping in an attempt to sound creepy. He wiggled his fingers for emphasis.

Everyone let out a collectively dramatic gasp.

“That man gives me the heebie jeebies,” Jessica called from inside the kitchen.

Everyone laughed at her usual bluntness.

“But seriously, that must have been the most uncomfortable experience ever,” Minseok said with a sympathetic tone to his voice.

“The most uncomfortable 20 minutes I have experienced in a while,” Jongin agreed, scarfing down the remnants of his toast.

 

Jongin was about to tell then about the strange vision that he experienced before Minho showed up but something was stopping him. He brushed it off as being scared of them making fun of him and continued the animated conversations that were going around the table.

 

The rest of the day was spent doodling mindlessly in his sketchbook as he waited for closing hours come faster. Before they all dispersed to go to their respective stores, everyone agreed that they were all going to meet up at Jongin’s cabin for diner. Because it was a Sunday, the diner closed early so Sehun could get off work. Jessica claimed that she had important tings to do and everyone joked that she was going to prepare lobster. Jessica was notorious for cooking some mean lobster whenever she got the opportunity to.

 

 Jongin just doodled as he let his mind wander, sketching whatever he thought of first. When he got bored of drawing, it was half an hour to closing time.  Setting his pencil down, Jongin flipped through what he had just drawn. Panic rose as Jongin saw endless rows of bows, quivers and arrows. There was the occasional tree house, all drawn the same way… the way Jongin saw it in his resurfaced memory.

 

You got to stop this Jongin. You’re getting too obsessed with this. It’s probably nothing, you know you have a wild imagination Jongin thought to himself, shakily slamming his sketchbook closed. This behavior is absurd.

 

Jongin ended up closing shop early, dropping by the open market to pick up the apples he promised to buy. After reminding Minseok and Yixing that they were bringing the roasted turkey for dinner, he made his way back to the outskirts of town and back onto the dirt path.

 

When he got home, he busied himself with preparing to accommodate his friends in his cabin, momentarily forgetting about the vision he had.

 

 

A/N yo, TWO chapters in one day, what is wrong with me? I needed to get all of this out LOL Remember that all Fabletons are indeed from fairytales/fables! I didn't really give any clues here about the characters mentioned in the previous chapter but there are now new characters to guess! Just a small FYI for those who might think otherwise, Jessica is actually a very minor character. I don't know, I felt like that should be stated somewhere haha. As always, I would really appreciated it if you upvoted and commented! Leave your guesses in the comments :)) And if you want to stay updated, subscribe! Seeya in the next chapter!