Serenity

Angel's Sigh


“There you are. Don’t scare me like that.” Youngsaeng said out of breathe as he walked towards Ji Soo who was in the hospital’s garden.


“Wae? I’m with Han oppa.” She said and waved at him to come closer.


“Where is he?” Youngsaeng looked around since all he saw was her.


“I made him buy me a drink. Thirsty.” She said as she sat comfortably on one of the garden’s benches with her red journal on her lap.


“Hmm...What did you write today?” He said trying to peek but she closed it even before he could do that.


“Ya! No peeking. Han oppa only.” She said with a smile and waved at her brother who was approaching them.


“You came?” Han asked Youngsaeng as he carefully let Ji Soo sip her juice as he held the cup.


“De. The guys are coming soon, they just dropped by their house to change.” Youngsaeng said and sat down too with Ji Soo right in between them.


“Ke Ke, I fell like two towers are beside me.” She mused, referring to the height of the two, which was almost the same; Han was just an inch taller.


“Then you are the bridge of this two towers?” Han asked her.


“Hmmm...I’ll think about it.” She happily answered.


“Now that’s not a good answer. It should be yes.” Youngsaeng said in English since she answered in that language.


“Youngsaeng ah don’t tolerate her stubbornness. You, speak in Korean.” Han scolded the two as they both pouted at the same time.


“Aigooo you two are becoming alike with each day you spend together. Kaja. Let’s go inside, it would be cold here soon.” Han teased the two making them blush as he helped her up and sit down to her wheelchair.


“I can walk you know.” Ji Soo kept complaining as they made their way to her room.


“We know. But remember what your doctor told you? You must not in any way be stressed out or get tired.” Han lightly reminded her making her pout again.


“Cute. I’ll see you in your room after a while arasso? I’ll just go and see someone.” Youngsaeng said to her then to Han, as he turned right in the corridor of her room’s floor.
---

“Knock...knock...is the boy sleeping here already?” Youngsaeng said with a smile as he entered a room in the same floor as Ji Soo’s.


“Hyung! You came.” A 20-year-old boy smiled at him. 


Youngsaeng accidentally met him a few days ago while looking for Ji Soo in one of her hide and seeks games every time he takes his eyes off her. 


“So how are you today?” Youngsaeng asked and sat down after smiling at the nurse that was about to leave the room.


“All good. Thanks to you, my mood is now better. I’ll be released tomorrow.” He replied back.


“Sulking up you brat? Better be. I didn’t save you from trying to jump off the roof for nothing.” Youngsaeng messed his hair.


“Make sure to drop by the room I told you before leaving tomorrow arasso? I’ll be staying here for the night.” Youngsaeng told him as he went to go back to Ji Soo’s room.


“De. See you tomorrow then hyung.” He replied.


That boy, Kang, was actually who opened Youngsaeng’s eyes on how to not lose hope for Ji Soo. He saw him wanting to jump down from the roof top, and it was in that instant after saving him and talked to him did he learned the meaning of not losing faith.


That a person starts loosing faith if the people they believe in loses faith themselves.

~~~*****~~~

Days went on some more, and Ji Soo became really sick that day. She couldn’t eat, it was hard for her to breathe, and she kept on coughing out blood.


Han and Youngsaeng were the only one who was calm while assisting her. The rest of the guys were tearing up, their heart being squeezed as they saw her suffer right in front of their eyes.


“Ji Soo try not to make any sudden movements.” Han tried to help her ease the pain she was feeling as she stirred in her bed, trying to find a comfortable position wherein her chest won’t hurt.


“Kwenchana, I’m fine.” She tried to assure them and smiled.


“Babo. If you’re hurt, then say it hurts. If you want to cry, then just cry.” Youngsaeng scolded her calmly, making tears appear on the corner of her eyes.


“You are just too stubborn. Guys can you leave the room with me for a while?” Han asked the guys and hesitantly left the room with them as well as the nurse, leaving only Youngsaeng inside with her.


“Hyung, did you want something from us?” Hyung joon said as he messily tried to cover up his tears.


“Anni. I just wanted to give her some space. She won’t let you guys see her weak side.” Han said as he counted to three. And true enough they could hear sobs coming from inside the room as Han leaned his back on the door.


“Sometimes I wonder, if my family did something before to make her that stubborn.” Han mused as he closed his eyes to let the tears fall as he heard his sister’s sobs of pain and frustration and Youngsaeng’s gentle humming filled his ears.

~~~*****~~~

Weeks had passed, and the month has changed. Ji Soo was still holding on, but not that well. She was having a rough time day by day, there were times when her heart would stop, but she never fails to put on a warm smile whenever her most cherished people in the world would be there.


Everyone was there for her all the time, no matter how heart wrenching is it to see her suffer, they were making all the effort they could just to let her see that she has someone who believes and have faith in her. Especially Youngsaeng. He didn’t waste another minute after all his work was done, he would make sure to be by her side. Every hour, every night.


“Ei, but I never would have thought that Kang was that sick.” Kyu jong said out loud, breaking the silence of the room after Ji Soo’s doctor announced that a heart was specially donated for her.


“’Honey, do you know anything about this?” Jungmin hugged Youngsaeng. 


“Anni. He said he was only there for gastric problems. He didn’t tell me it was stomach cancer.” Youngsaeng squirmed from his hug.


“Heard that Ji Soo dongsaeng? You’re going to get that heart transplant. You’ll be fine.” Hyun joong caressed her hair making Youngsaeng pout.


“Hyung! Jealous monster on your right.” Kyu jong warned him and Hyun joong backed away playfully when he saw Youngsaeng glaring at him.


The three of them teased each other in an attempt to lighten the mood. Though the doctor said she could have the transplant soon, but there is a big risk now unlike before. And that was what the guys feared and tried to hide.


Ji Soo was also smiling but she knew deep inside that having the transplant was not that easy now. She knows how much her body has changed, if she had the transplant earlier then it would be easy. But now, she was having second thoughts of accepting it.


“Hyung when would be the operation?” Youngsaeng asked Han who just came back with Hyung joon after arranging the necessary papers for the surgery.


“As soon as possible. But they are settling for tomorrow afternoon.” Han replied as he clasped Ji Soo’s hand and gave it a gentle kiss.


“Then, can I have a request before the surgery? Let’s just say it’s my condition before agreeing to it.” Ji Soo said and all eyes looked at her.

~~~*****~~~

“Han, before you sign this consent for her surgery, I have to let you know that this is a big risk.”


“What is the chance of success?”


“If she could have gotten a heart earlier then it would have been 70-30...”


“Now?”


“25-75...the chance is too small. Her body is too weak now, there is a high chance that it wouldn’t be able to hold out for the intensive operation.”


“She knows that..but she’s still willing to try.”


“Then I guess we have to make sure to grant her request.”



This conversation hang in Han and Hyung joon’s head while they were waiting for the nurse to check Ji Soo first before they leave that morning the next day.


“Hyung, I still don’t like the idea of Ji Soo leaving the hospital even just for a bit before her surgery.” Hyung joon voiced out his sentiments.


“I know. We all are. But that is her wish; all we can do is grant it. She has been strong all this time, unselfishly thinking about us while she tried to get better. It’s time to let her have something for herself even for just today.” Han said to him.


He didn’t know when during the course of the night did he understand what Ji Soo meant by wanting to gather together at their home before the surgery. He knew that she knows what might happen. As far as how ironic it would sound, he was happy that she chooses to take a little bite of the happiness that was in front of her.


“The paramedics that would accompany you are ready. Make sure to bring her back before 4pm. Ji Soo see you later arasso?” Her doctor said as he escorted them out into the hospital’s ambulance. The other guys were all waiting at their house to welcome her.

---

“Ji Soo ah, keep on smiling arasso?” She said to herself in front of her mirror. 


Everyone was downstairs preparing some snacks just at the gazebo of their garden. She went up to change her clothes with the help of Mai her personal care taker, but she ended up crying when she saw the video messages she played all over again.


The guys gave it to her a week ago, but she kept remembering all their smiling faces. Wishing her to stay strong.


Noona, these guys are harassing me to leave you a message. Ke Ke I’m not sure when would they give this to you, so I’ll only say this. You have to be happy arasso? Be happy with Hyung. Someday you’ll understand what I mean by this.” She recalled the happy face of Kang, the owner of the heart that she would be receiving. 


He was such an adorable boy, never did she knew that he was planning to donate his heart for her all this while. That he only did what he wanted to do before peaceful passing away.


“Ji Soo ah, kwenchana? Are you hurt anywhere?” her caretaker asked when she went inside to check if she was ready.


“Oh. De. Mianhe, just remembered something.” She smiled and went down the stairs. Youngsaeng upon seeing her quickly rushed to her side to aid her in walking.


“Right this way my princess.” Youngsaeng playfully said as he walked with her towards the gazebo where everybody was.

---

“Hyung where’s my dongsaeng?” Hyung joon said loudly and Jungmin covered his mouth quickly and pulled him towards their pile of bodies that was eavesdropping on Youngsaeng and Ji Soo out on the garden.


“Are you cold?” Youngsaeng asked as the two was lying down on the blanket with their hands intertwined. They were listening to his Ipod for quite a while now.


“Anni. Kwenchana.” She replied and opened her eyes.


“Youngsaeng...” She said in a whispery voice.


“Hmm?...” Youngsaeng asked with his eyes still close. He was afraid to open his eyes, he was afraid that once he opens them time would pass by quickly.


He was shocked when he felt Ji Soo’s hand cupped his face more so when he felt her lips slowly descended on his. Slowly he responded as his free hand embraced her.


He tried hard not to let any tears fall that was threatening at the corner of his eyes. The impact of the feel of her lips was that great for him. For the first time, they let themselves be drowned in their love. A love that they kept on suppressing. 


“Ji Soo?” He asked in a hoarse voice when she broke the kiss and placed her free hand on his eyes.


“Oppa. Close your eyes.” She said and he did as she told him. 


The moment he closed his eyes, he felt her take her hand away and rested her head on the nook between his neck and shoulder with her free hand resting on top of his chest, as his free hand was still embracing her.


Ji Soo stayed silent for a few seconds before speaking again.


“Oppa...remember what I told you before?” She asked and he nodded his head with his eyes still close. For some reason his heart began to feel heavy.


“Always use your eyes to see good things, use your heart to feel happiness. I want you to be able to smile, a real one like what you always show me. Cause when you smile, it felt like an angel was looking straight at me. And without me knowing it, I grew accustomed of seeing that angel’s smile.” She said in her normal voice, but she said it slowly...as if taking her time.


Youngsaeng tried to suppress it, but his sobs became apparent. Tears were rolling non-stop from his closed eyes as every word like the last time pierced through his heart. He didn’t like how she was saying these things, but he tried to bear with it. Her words meant everything to him, for her words kept on saying that she had been acknowledging his love for her as how she was to him.


Everyone was tearing up as they continued to eavesdrop on the two. Hyung joon was crying like a baby while hugging Jungmin. Kyu jong was crying by him as Han and Hyun joong tried their best not to cry but failed. They were seeing everything, hearing everything. 


“Saeng...saranghae...” Ji Soo said in a whisper then gave out a silent sigh.


“Saranghaeyo...Ji Soo saranghaeyo...” He whispered back as more tears streamed down. 


His heart lurched, he wanted to shout but couldn’t as he just laid there with her when her breathing changed into an uneven fading rhythm.







~~~That was the final chapter dongsaengs...The Epilogue would be up tomorrow or the next day... T_T i just cried by reading my own fic here...