Epilogue 2

Wish upon a star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoochun pulled over in front of the gate.

“oh god my back!” Jaejoong arched on her seat after unfastening her seat belt. Being cooped in the same place for more than an hour’s journey made everyone sore.

They had managed to find the zoo, though it took longer because of Yunho and Yoochun’s combined bad navigational skills. To rephrase, they reached only because Jaejoong took control of the map. The kids enjoyed the zoo, Changmin particularly was excited about the lions. They feasted on Jaejoong’s home-made dishes for lunch before revelling in an adorable animal show. They managed to return home sooner than it had taken to go the zoo but the kids had already fallen asleep.

“Su, why don’t you guys stay over?” Jaejoong invited. She was unbuckling Changmin, who fussed a little but didn’t wake up.

“nah it’s okay! We don’t have to go the office till 11 tomorrow. We can sleep in.” Junsu handed Jaejoong her baby-bag while taking Jaejoong’s place in the front, “plus I want to get the kids fed properly before bed time.  It’s just 5. I can’t let them sleep on an empty stomach.” Jaejoong hummed in agreement. While Jaejoong and Junsu were busy in their conversation, they didn’t notice their husbands were having a talk of their own.

“is it just me or is that car sitting there since this morning.” Yoochun looked at the suspicious black sedan that Yunho had observed long ago.

“not just this morning, it’s been parked there since last night.” Yunho glanced at the women to ensure they aren’t listening. If his fears are misplaced, it would be unnecessary panic. He was standing outside the car and conversing with Yoochun on the driver’s side. The women were on the other side. “I know there’s nothing wrong with someone parking their car for more than a day, but I get this ominous feeling.”

“it is suspicious when someone is in the car for more than a day.” Yoochun said as he caught the movement behind the tinted glass of the expensive car. It was twilight and the outdoors were bathed in a dim reddish tint but the shadow of some people could still be seen in the suspicious vehicle. “Yun, just stay alert. I’m sure it’s nothing, but if something comes up call me okay?”

“what use will you be. I’d rather call the police.” Yunho teased and earned a punch to his shoulder, “kidding but thanks for the offer. You should get going now. Good night.”

“yeah good night.” Yoochun turned to the other window, “good night Jae.”

Jaejoong waved back at the departing car. Yunho took Changmin from her who immediately tucked himself under Yunho’s chin and ushered Jaejoong to their door. The small family entered the home, with Yunho giving a last glance to that car.

It was a good half hour before two figures stepped out of the vehicle. They walked on the gravel path that led from the gate to the front porch in a winding pattern through the garden. They stumbled on a yellow tricycle and knocked a ball down while stepping on the 2step deck. It was getting darker though the sun hadn’t set completely. The figures were debating whether to ring the doorbell or not and quite a few minutes passed in the harsh whispering and nudging. At one point the slender one of the two nudged the other a little harder sending him stumbling backwards and knocking another toy- some kind of ugly duck with a voice box that starting quacking obnoxiously every time it gets hit. Needless to say the loud noise sent the two in panic, especially since they heard the dialogue of the residents from inside.

“Yunnie~ I think Minnie left his duck outside again. Get all the toys in!” Jaejoong’s hollered from within.

“but Boo~ the match is going on!” Yunho whined uncharacteristically.

“Jung Yunho, clear your son’s mess!” Jaejoong was louder this time.

“but that duck is so annoying!” even as he said it Yunho had made his way to the door, his tall silhouette could be visible behind the rough glass parts on the door.

“then you shouldn’t have got it in the first place.” Jaejoong sounded amused now.

“I didn’t know it quacked like that. I thought it was a regular mute toy!” the porch light and the door shifted.

“Yun, Minnie is waking up. Get his toys before he throws a fuss.”

“yeah, I’ll ge-” Yunho had opened the door wide now and had just come face to face with his parents. He was silent, absorbing, processing, trying to make out his parent’s intention.

Somehow, he could make out nervousness, happiness and fear in them, something he’s never seen on them before.

Mrs Jung was holding the stuffed duck, she had tried to shut it off earlier, so she nervously handed it to Yunho. Yunho’s eyes snapped when he sensed them moving. He slowly took the yellow plush from the outstretched hands. His peripheral vision caught sight of the black sedan outside his property.

“why are you here and were you stalking me?’’ Yunho said softly, he was suddenly conscious of his family inside and didn’t want Jaejoong to know.

Mr Jung shook his head quickly afraid that they would be shut off before they could even get to reason. “we didn’t stalk you. You're all over the papers back home. You recently secured a contract with the South Korean government didn’t you?”

“we spent the entire time outside your home gathering courage to face you. Trust me, we didn’t have any bad intentions. We just want to talk to you.” Mrs Jung pleaded.

Yunho was racking his brain as to what he should do. These were the very people who threatened to harm his wife and son. Yet, they were in a completely different persona right now.

“daddy.” A small yet carrying voice echoed.  Yunho gulped audibly as he turned around and sure enough the sight that greeted was one he never wanted to see again. Jaejoong stood at the far end of the entry hallway at the bottom of the stairs. Even at that distance, she could still see the fearful old couple and the shock had made her eyes wide and voice trapped. She was carrying Changmin who was unaware of the tension between his parents and grandparents. His tiny fist rubbed the sleep from his eye while the other hand was outstretched calling to his father who was unresponsive making the little human vexed.

 He had a nice dream about him and his daddy in a lion king type scene and he woke up wanting his daddy and said daddy was giving him the cold shoulder.

Unacceptable!

Jung Changmin cannot accept that his parents are not responding to him.

“daddy!” Changmin whined louder this time and leaning out of Jaejoong’s arms in a command to his father to carry him. The movement snapped Jaejoong’s attention to her toddler who began to struggle to hold on to the fretting child.

Yunho turned to his parents, “wait in the hall.” He pointed at a direction through the corridor and sprinted the short distance to his son.

Changm

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter