one

Wish upon a star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yunnie, a shooting star!

Make a wish boo.

I wish we can be happy.

I wish I can stay with you forever.

 

Yunho’s eyes jerked open. Lately he has been getting a recurring dream, or more precisely a memory. He straightened up on swivel chair and reached for the glass of water near his laptop. That very moment his intercom buzzed and his assistant’s voice sounded through the static.

“what is it?” Yunho said rather coldly.

“your meeting with Mr Park is in 15 minutes sir. And your mother called.”

“what did she say?”

“she asked you to visit your father in the hospital.”

Yunho didn’t say anything and the middle-aged lady got the cue. Yunho let out a sigh and finally got up from the chair where he had been cooped up for 5 hours straight. He always felt mentally exhausted every time his family were mentioned. His father has been in and out of the hospital quite often lately, and though Yunho was worried initially, he had caught on to the ploy the third time his father claimed that he couldn’t breathe.

It was in plain sight, what Yunho’s parents try to pull. The entire Jung Corps’ employees gossip about it as well, about how Mr Jung would clutch at his chest and breathe heavily when they want their son to behave according to their wishes. It was just a ruse to emotionally blackmail Jung Yunho and take advantage of his filial devotion. However, like the employees, Yunho has grown numb to their antics. Instead of visiting his father like his mother tells him to, he simply sends flowers and a short ‘I’m busy’ through his secretary.

Yunho walked to the boardroom but stopped just at the threshold.

The overwhelming pain that filled his chest was proof that he hasn’t been able to forget what happened here all those months ago.

This very place, Yunho displayed his cowardice and helplessness.

He had stood watching like a mute while his mother and sister made a spectacle of the only person that he had held dear and still does.

Yunho had everything that defined an entitled heir, but his personality was not in accordance to the society he belonged, much to the chagrin of his parents. He had developed a sickness at birth and was extracted from the city to be raised by his grandparents till he was 10. While his sister and parents lavished the high life, Yunho grew to love the simple lifestyle of his grandparents who by no means were poor. They had enough land for sustenance and were satisfied helping the needy and so did Yunho. It was at this time he met his childhood love Kim Jaejoong.

Her mother was working as a nurse for his grandparents and Jaejoong tagged along at Grandma Jung’s request to be a companion for Yunho. They were quite attached to each other and the old Jung couple were overjoyed with the children’s fondness of each other. Until their son and his wife took away their ‘heir’ and leaving the child Jaejoong heartbroken. It was such a heart-breaking sight that Grandma Jung couldn’t take it and passed away. Yunho’s only consolation was his grandfather’s promise that he would take care of Jaejoong and ensure that the two were reunited one day.

His grandfather stayed true to his promise even after his death.

Jaejoong and Yunho reunited at his funeral 10 years later, where she revealed that Jaejoong was going to be with him in university and Yunho couldn’t be happier.

Yunho was disenchanted with the upper-class lifestyle he was so unceremoniously forced into, even his sister seemed like an alien always talking about how cheap that bag is and what a good bank account that man has. Jaejoong was his only solace that kept him grounded. If it were not for her, he would have run away to the mountains to escape the pressure his parents oh-so-subtly put on him.

They dated through the college and even when Yunho took over his father’s position. He had appointed her as his secretary to keep her close and it was wonderful until his parents found out.

For the most of it, his family had ignored what he did in his private life, assuming he would be clubbing and partying with the other rich boys. When they witnessed Yunho kissing his ‘lowly’ secretary, they went to great lengths to separate them.

First, Yunho’s father was admitted to the hospital. It gave them the emotional leverage and Yunho was compliant till the doctor said that it wasn’t serious and just fluctuating blood sugar. But they still used it to keep a leash on Yunho. The final straw was when Yunho’s sister was called from her honeymoon and Mrs Jung and Jihye cornered Jaejoong right after a board meeting.

The clients had left, but the staff were still lingering when the two ladies spewed acerbic speech about Jaejoong was a gold-digger and was taking their son away from them. They reinforced their claim by saying that Yunho wasn’t visiting his sick father because of her. They even override Yunho’s position to fire Jaejoong and replace her with someone old and unattractive and who can keep tabs on Yunho. When Yunho tried to track Jaejoong, they threatened to harm her. So Yunho hasn’t seen her in months.

Yunho blames himself for all of it. He masked his discomfort with the superficial high class with a cold face and indifference, Jaejoong being the only one to see his true face. However, he was not confrontational and froze when Jaejoong was being humiliated in front of his eyes. He wished he had fought for her, use this as an excuse to escape this hateful world and live like a normal person not tied by status or appearances, but that was all that was, wishful thinking.

“Mr Jung?” Yunho was once again snapped to reality and he turned around to find his client looking at him amusedly. Beside the man was a cute woman who was heavily pregnant.

“I’m sorry, please make yourself comfortable.” Yunho ushered the couple in the boardroom.

“I hope you don’t mind if my wife sits in. she’s quite clingy these days.” Park Yoochun whispered to Yunho when they took their place at the long table. Yunho wasn’t going to protest, since it was just the three of them in the room, but the pregnant lady hollered beside the two men.

“even if he says no, I’m not getting of this dam chair.”

“Junsu, be nice.” Her husband chided lightly and turned to Yunho, “pardon her, the mood swings are double because she’s carrying twins.” The men laughed a bit much to the expectant mother’s displeasure but she let them continue their business.       

During the discussion, Yunho couldn’t help but sneak glances at the occasional gestures of affection of the Park couple. Yoochun would caress the baby bump while listening intently and Junsu was already lulled into sleep by the time they were done. Yoochun gently woke her up and supported her by holding by her waist.

“I’ll have my secretary call you with the details.” Yunho said as he picked up his papers.

“if you want to talk something besides business, you can call me directly.” Yoochun’s abrupt statement caught Yunho off guard.

“I don’t understand.”

“I meant that you have that look….how should I say this…. I looked like that not too long ago, when Junsu and I had broken up briefly.” Yunho didn’t know what to do since Yoochun had hit the nail on the head. “we got together though obviously, but I can’t deny that was the most painful period of my life and when I looked in the mirror, I looked like you.”

Yunho didn’t know what to say as Yoochun left with his wife. He just sat there till his secretary came looking for him and said his mother called him to the hospital.

~~~  

Yunho didn’t know what to do anymore.

He had finally forced himself to v

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter