Chapter 1

Red Division

[Jung Daehyun’s POV]

I ran away from home. I guess this is the hundred and forty-eighth time I did. Sitting here at the park waiting for nothing while eating a cup of ramen is the best when your parents are fighting at home because of your “wrong doings”. I chuckled at the thought. Twenty minutes have passed since I left home. I bet they have cooled down already.

The situation at home is always like that. Dad would arrive at home, empty-handed, asking money from Mom. Of course, Mom is addicted to saving money. I’m sure all mothers are like that. She won’t give money to my Dad. Dad would get angry then blame me! Because I’m studying, I use all of the money intended for him. Yes. He accuses me whenever he loses. The good thing there is Mom never fails to save me. Eventually, I would get tired of listening to their repeated conversations and leave the house to eat my spicy ramen or a nice hot rice cake. Sounds cliché right? But that’s also my life.

I grabbed my backpack. But when I was about to leave, a lifeless hand caught my eyes. My instinct told me to walk and so I did, towards the hand. I almost fell on my when I saw the lifeless hand. It really was just a hand! My eyes grew in fright and ran away from it. The hand… Its wrist was full of blood. It was a man’s hand, I’m sure of it.

After a while, I finally calmed myself down. Washing my face with cold water from the fountain helped a lot. That hand was much unexpected. I was expecting a lying man asking or begging for help! I shook my head. I need to report that to the police. I nodded at my decision. But they might question me. I let out an exasperated sigh. I would just think that I did not see that. I don’t need to get involved in anything horrifying. Finally, I have decided. I will tell the police then go home.

I walked back to the park to take a picture of the hand but it was not there anymore. I looked around; everything was the same except for the hand. Did it crawl on its own? Did the hand dissolved? Did it turn into smoke? I shuddered at the silly questions coming into my mind. I must be crazy. Maybe the hand wasn’t really there! Aish. I must be getting really crazy. I should really go home now and rest. I still have to attend classes tomorrow.

 

[Third POV]

He stared at the window. “It’s raining,” he said. The maid behind him just nodded. He was watching her reflection. He sighed deeply. It’s another lonely day he thought. Three knocks came from the door. The maid ran to it and opened the door. Youngjae appeared.

“Dad,” he greeted as he walked towards him. His father looked at him with a thin smile. “It’s sad,” his father told him. “Why?” he asked. His father looked at the window again. “See? It’s raining again. The clouds can’t dry up its tears,” he answered sadly. Youngjae looked at the maid at nodded at her with a smile, telling her to go and leave them first. Honestly, the sun was brightly shining, the clouds are as light as they could be and the birds are cheerfully singing together while sitting on the branch of a tree. The father looked at him again. “Look at you! You’ve grown so well,” his father smiled proudly and so, he returned it with the same smile. “You should continue eating a lot,” he added. “Yes Dad, I will,” Youngjae said half-heartedly. He glanced at his reflection at the mirror nearly beside him and his father. I wonder where in my situation is well, Youngjae thought. His reflection is an epitome of death. It was frail, pale, bruised, empty and silent.

He looked at the window and then he realized he was alone now. Youngjae sighed then sat on the chair beside him. Father must have been upset that’s why he left without telling me, he thought to his self. He stood to open the drawer beside his bed and grab his “medicine”. He gulped down three capsules then lied on the bed. I need some sleep, he then closed his eyes.

 

[Hyeri’s POV]

I lied to him. I must be punished. No. That’s fine. I just saved myself from further danger. I saved him as well. There’s no way I’m going to let him go. He’s only mine, right? No. Wait. He’s MINE, right? No. Only mine!

Yes. I know. I’m talking to myself again. Is it wrong? Don’t you talk to yourself? Anyway, I still need to attend my class. I buttoned my uniform, brushed my bangs and took a final look at the mirror before going out. Holding out my food stub, I grinned while walking to the bakery.

“Ajhussi! Give me this one please,” I said while pointing at the potato bread then handed him my stub. “Here,” he said with a smile. “Study well, Lee Hyeri, okay? Tomorrow, I’ll give you more food stubs,” he added. “Thank you!” I bowed then ran outside while eating my bread.

I’m an eighteen year old student of Seoul University. I study well and hard. I rank number one and I’m pretty! I chuckled. School is very near from my house and so, I finished eating my bread inside our classroom. I don’t buy water because every day, I get a carton of milk in my desk. Lucky me, yay!

Thirty minutes later, the school bell rang. Ay, it’s class hours already. I pouted then waited with my noisy classmates for the professors to come and give their lectures.