chapter two - eat your noodles

Oh Nanny!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

C H A P T E R  TWO

E     A     T          Y     O     U     R          N     O     O     D     L     E     S

 

 

“Kyungsoo-yah, can you come here for a bit?” Seohyun calls from her position in the cash register.

 

 

“In a minute mom,” Kyungsoo shouts back, drying the stacks of dishes, cups and silverwares he just finished washing. “I’m just going to finish this.”

 

 

“Hurry up then.”

 

 

As the only child of Do Kyuhyun and Do Seohyun, Kyungsoo feels obligated to help around and manage their family restaurant. In any way, he would be the one inheriting Eat Your Noodles so he deemed it important to learn the basics of managing a food business as early as possible. At the tender age of thirteen, he’s already helping the restaurant by attending to customer’s orders because for Kyungsoo, “learning your target audience is a first of the musts.” Most of the time, he chats with customers, asking them what they like the most and inquiring their opinions on how to improve their services.

 

 

Kyungsoo’s big passion for cooking also helped him a lot. He started experimenting new recipes that he can add up to their menu so their customers don’t get tired of getting the same old noodle dishes that you can easily find on other restaurants again and again. He stayed mostly on the kitchen but during lunch hours, he would be outside as a temporary busser. Lunch is the busiest time of the day in Eat Your Noodles, the restaurant is fully-packed, tables always occupied. There are also cases when a long queue starts, customers insisting they can wait because they really wanted to eat lunch here. The amount of love their restaurant receives makes Kyungsoo so overwhelmed that he promised to bring these customers the treatment they deserve and the best of only the best food their restaurant has to offer.

 

 

Kyungsoo wipes his hands on his apron after putting the last plate on the dish rack. He peeks from the curtain that separates the kitchen from the counter and spots her mother’s slumped form in front of the cash register. He sneakily walks closer to her and then loops his arms around her waist, hugging her from behind.

 

“Eomma,” Kyungsoo belted, surprising Seohyun who nearly stumbled out of her seat.

 

 

“Aigoo, this child,” Seohyun attempts to chide, but instantly relaxes upon seeing Kyungsoo and ends up smiling anyways.

 

 

“What is it?”

 

 

“I want you to see this.” Seohyun reaches something under the register, her smile never leaving her face. Kyungsoo untangles his arms over her mother’s waist to let her move freely. She opens the compartments of the counter one by one. “Where did I put it again? Ah, here it is.” Seohyun hastily grabs it from the lowest drawer and hands it to Kyungsoo, a bit too enthusiastically.

 

 

Kyungsoo notices and he laughs. “You’re not so excited about this, are you? Is this the new desgin?” he says, observing the letter-sized new laminated menu of Eat Your Noodles. “I like it, it’s simple but still elegant.”

 

 

“Turn it around.”

 

 

And Kyungsoo obeys. His jaw drops when the center picture hits his eyes. “Oh my god Mom, you didn’t.”

 

 

“But I just did.” Seohyun beams, the last words said in a higher and happier tone. The grin that slowly makes its way on Kyungsoo’s lips says she did just the right thing. Whatever makes her son happy, makes her happy as well.

 

 

But the smile that creeps Kyungsoo’s lips disappeared in an instant, taking his self-confidence as well. “What if they don’t like it?”

 

 

“Honey, you spent months perfecting this recipe. We tasted it ourselves and do you remember Luhan’s reaction when he first tasted it? The first thing he said was, ‘Am I in heaven yet?’ ” Seohyun placates and Kyungsoo smiles. He clearly remembered Luhan’s face of pure blithe that time.  She puts her hands on top of his.  “You’re a Do and this kimchi spaghetti just proves that a great chef’s blood runs into your veins.”

 

 

If it was just Kyungsoo and his mom, he might have cried already. Seohyun’s words gave him relief and boosted his self-esteem. This is going to be another milestone in his life as he prepares to take over their family business. He is about to give her mom a hug worth of a thousand thank yous when someone clears his throat louder than what is necessary. “I’m sorry to ruin your moment but I kind of like need a little help here?”

 

 

They both laugh as Kyuhyun scratches his chin. “What?” They completely forgot that it’s already lunch time and people are slowly filling the restaurant. There isn’t more of a staff the restaurant has so they need to work double time.

 

 

Kyungsoo gave her mom a tentative hug before running around the counter and to the table where his father is currently stacking plates. “I’ll do this Appa.” Khuhyun smiles and ruffles his son’s hair. “Your Mom and I have the chef cook your soon to be famous kimchi spaghetti and we have it put in today’s specialty, just so you know.”

 

 

Kyungsoo is never this thankful to have parents as supportive as this.

 

 

***

 

 

“We’re meeting up for lunch, are you home yet?”

 

 

Jongin transfers his phone sandwiched between his left cheek and shoulder to the right side as he ties his shoelaces for the fourth time. He just can’t make it right. What is wrong with this shoelaces?

 

 

Sehun’s voice boom loud and raspy from his phone’s speaker. “We’re on our way to Seoul. We’ll just drop mom to her office. Come by the house, meet me there.”

 

 

“What, am I your chauffeur now?”

 

 

“You know that I can’t drive.” Sehun whines like a baby.

 

 

“Just admit it that you have a very poor sense of direction. But ugh, okay.” Jongin holds his one hand up and gives up tying his shoelaces. “I can’t risk you straying around, your mom might kill me.”

 

 

“Don’t worry dear, you’re doing me a favor.” And here comes Yoona’s sweet voice.

 

 

“Mom! I hate you.”

 

 

Jongin laughs at the exchange while removing his phone from his shoulder. His neck is starting to feel sore. He half expects the snarky comment because stupid Sehun always sets his phone in loudspeak. Unfortunately, Sehun also has a poor hearing. Add it into the long list of things Sehun is poor at.  “Take care Auntie. See you soon.”

 

 

“You too dear.” He hangs and carelessly throws his phone on the sofa bed, throwing his body after, face down. He misses the arrival of another body as he rolls and mopes.

 

 

A gurgling muffled fffauuck meluggh comes out from the sofa and in cue the running, drooling, big fluff of hairy black and white monster that throws itself on the sofa bed and attacks its owner in an instant. 

 

 

“I said ‘ my life’ not ‘come here Java’.” Jongin manages to say in between shrieks and giggles because the dog is his face.

 

 

A long whistle and Java is out of Jongin’s face. “Come here Java, let the human breathe.”

 

 

Jongin takes his time catching his breath and wipes drool off his face then promptly sits down from where he is lying. “Thanks Baek.” Baekhyun bents his knees and catches an overzealous Old English Shepherd into his arms.

 

 

“That isn’t free.” Baekhyun says, massaging Java’s neck. The dog opens its mouth and drool drips on top of Baekhyun’s acid washed jeans. He gives Jongin a look of you’re going to wash this but said boy just shrugs.  He looks down and gives Java a helpless look and the big monster lets out an appreciative whimper. “You totally like it when I do this, don’t you?” Baekhyun coos, petting Java’s head. The dog submissively lies it head on top of Baekhyun’s shoes.

 

 

“Anyways, I’m here because I’m going to carpool.” He tells Jongin while running his fingers on Java’s white and black fur. Java whimpers, clearly enjoying Baekhyun’s ministrations.  

 

“Sure, but why?”

 

 

“My tire broke down in the middle of nowhere. Your house is the closest from where I was so, here I am. Surprise?” Baekhyun chuckled.

 

 

“How did you get here?”

 

 

“Ugh, I walked?”

 

 

“Seriously?”

 

 

“Duh Jongin, of course I hailed a cab.” Baekhyun rolls his eyes. “Do you expect me to—“

 

 

“Walk. Right. The diva never walks.” Jongin says monotonously and gets out of bed. “You should have called me so I could have picked you up.”

 

 

“Nah, too boring. I wanted to surprise you though. But here you are, found you faces with Java.” Baekhyun sighs and the dog lets out a guttural whine.

 

 

“No, you dumb dog. You don’t have the right to reject me.”

 

 

“You disapprove Java? “ Baekhyun chuckles and nods. “Right, Jongin’s gross isn’t he?” Java suddenly stands and furiously nods its head with its tongue out after barking once.

 

 

Baekhyun doubled over because the dog just said yes. He just directly rejected his owner in front of him.

 

 

“Shut it, Baek. I hate you.” He says, glaring at a still laughing Baekhyun on the carpet. “And you big hairy monster,” he picks up Java’s leash. “I’m going to leave you in the middle of the road and disown you forever.” Jongin says, feigning hurt. The dog runs for its life, almost taking Jongin with him had he not release his grip on the leash.

 

 

“Don’t worry Java I’ll adopt you instead,” Baekhyun shouts after a retreating dog as his laughs slowly die down. He stands up and dusts his pants. “That was a good laugh.”

 

 

Jongin smiles because it had been a year since he last heard Baekhyun laughed his self out. He missed those hearty laughs that he only does when he’s with Chanyeol. One year had changed them a lot. He’s still careful not to mention the guy’s name for it might trigger a landmine of unbridled emotions, memories and regrets from Baekhyun.

 

 

“Alright, I’m sorry. Can we go now?” Baekhyun asks.

 

 

“No.” Jongin snapped, crossing his arms above his chest and turning his head away. “No, wait. In one condition.” He immediately says, contemplating.

 

 

“What condition?”

 

 

“Tie my shoelaces.”

 

 

Baekhyun stares at him like he just grown another head and looks down at his shoes and back at Jongin. “You’re serious?” Jongin hummed his yes. “What, are you five?”

 

 

He looks down morosely at his shoelaces, which hang limply above his converse. “This damn thing just won’t cooperate,” He says, shaking his left foot for emphasis while sporting an awful excuse of a pout.

 

 

“You really are a ing five year old.” Baekhyun decides, answering his own question. He kneels down nonetheless and ties Jongin’s shoes for him.

 

 

“Thanks Baek.” Jongin says grinning madly. He jumps up and down, testing if the laces untangle themselves on their own again. When they don’t, he gives Baekhyun a tight one arm hug and leads him out of his room.

 

 

Baekhyun side-eyes him. “But I’m serious back then. I’d adopt Java had you abandon him on the streets.”

 

 

“Sorry to pop your bubble but that monster stays with me.”

 

 

Baekhyun chuckles again and contemplates adopting a dog for his own, for real this time. He can always use a friend. They make it down the front porch and Baekhyun waits as Jongin retrieves his car from the parking garage. In a minute, Jongin pulls an orange Tesla Roadster up to the curb in front of him and Baekhyun gives it a once over before hopping on the passenger side.

 

 

“Nice car.” Baekhyun says, caressing the black leather seats. Jongin meets his eyes on the rear-view mirror and smirks, “Yeah, but still not as flashy as your purple Audi. Too bad we can’t have a good warm up today.” Jongin says, sticking in the key on the ignition.

 

 

“Let’s have the race next time.” Baekhyun says and Jongin zooms past his garage and off the road.  

 

 

***

 

 

“You’re late.”

 

 

“Wow, I’m sorry your highness but Baekhyun here is at fault.” Jongin says noncommittally. He glares at said boy who just shrugs and checks his reflection on the side mirror, chewing repeatedly. Where he’d got those bubble gum, he did not know.

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter