chapter four - meet thy nanny

Oh Nanny!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER FOUR

M     E     E     T          T     H     Y          N     A     N     N     Y

 

 

Luhan wakes up to the sound of clattering pans and metals against porcelain. He lazily drags his still slumbering body off his bed and blearily peeks outside of his room. Luhan occupies a room that used to be another storage area of the restaurant. Ever since Kyungsoo and his family had found out that he was spending each night in saunas and bathhouses, they offered him shelter in exchange for working in the restaurant. Luhan, who was beyond thankful, accepted the offer and since then, was basically living inside the restaurant.

 

 

He sees the family of three shuffling to and fro the kitchen and seemingly placing dishes upon dishes of food on the table outside. He rubs the sleep off his eyes and looks back inside his room, at the calendar on his wall and at the clock above his headboard. It is Sunday today, exactly six in the morning and Luhan is confused. He peeks outside his door again and that’s when he sees Kyuhyun passing his room grasping a bowl of curry ramyeon. Kyungsoo’s dad sees him and promptly stops on his tracks.

 

 

“Oh, you’re awake.”

 

 

At the sound of Kyuhyun’s voice, Seohyun and Kyungsoo stops on what they’re doing on the table, arranging plates and cutleries perhaps, and looks up to Luhan. They both give him a warm smile and a curt, “Good morning Luhan.” Luhan steps outside of his room and walks where the two are. Kyuhyun goes back inside the kitchen after leaving the bowl on the table and greeting Luhan a good morning as well.

 

 

“Why are you all here this early? It’s Sunday today right?” Luhan politely asks while hoping to seat on the table. He swings his legs back and forth while eyeing the plethora of dishes served before his eyes, kimchi spaghetti, japchae, curry rice, bulgogi, kimbap and a lot more. His mouth drools. As far as Luhan knows, they open the restaurant not until 10 o’clock during Sundays and the family usually arrives after lunch time. So it was a new sight for Luhan seeing the family this early and preparing food at that.

 

 

“Nothing much, we just want to prepare something for you,” Seohyun says, while giving a pointed look to his husband and son. Kyungsoo rolls his eyes heavenward.

 

 

“Oh,” Luhan is taken aback. “Is there any occasion? My birthday’s not until next month?”

 

 

Seohyun laughs. “I know dear.”

 

 

“Honestly, mom is just getting tad bit overboard,” Kyungsoo shrugs nonchalantly. Seohyun wields a spatula on his son’s arm and Kyungsoo is lucky enough to dock under the chair and avoid the blow.

 

 

“Kyungsoo’s right. Tell him the truth,” Kyuhyun says to Seohyun while drizzling chopped cilantro and coriander on top of Kyungsoo’s kimchi spaghetti.

 

 

Seohyun glares at his husband and son but not long after heaves a sigh of defeat.  Her shoulder drops and she opts to take the seat in front of Luhan. “Luhan dear,” Seohyun starts, hints of sadness evident in her voice.  She proceeds to cup Luhan’s knees. “Are you going to apply for the job?”

 

 

Luhan knew it. He has a hunch why they are, or Auntie Seohyun, is acting weird today and that it has something to do with the mail yesterday. Figures. He had spent the night thinking of it, weighing his decisions thoroughly. He has come to a decision. He’s sure of it. He is going to…

 

 

“I’m going to the briefing today.” Luhan says seriously, full of conviction like he’s never been sure of his life choices than today. The crestfallen look Seohyun directs at him is enough to make Luhan feel guilty all of a sudden but he sure knows it is the right to do at this moment. He bends down and wraps Seohyun into a tight hug.

 

 

“I know you’re sad Auntie but you have done so much for me that I’m already beyond thankful. I thought of this thoroughly and I think it’s the best for me because I have to start doing things independently, for my own now. The past three years with you, with Uncle Kyuhyun, with Kyungsoo,” he stops and looks at said men. They both give him a sad smile and a nod. “… The three of you, you’re my new found family and that will not change. You’ll always be my second mom, Auntie Seohyun, so please don’t be sad.” He rubs circles around her back while rocking her side to side. “Just think of it as I changing residence but except for that, everything remains. I’ll still visit you guys.”

 

 

Luhan’s eyes feel hot. He can feel tears pooling at the corner of his eyes. Seohyun looks up from where she is situated on Luhan’s chest. She stares at him, her face is nothing short of Luhan’s down and sullen one.

 

 

“I had you know that the restaurant’s always open for you. You’re always welcome here.” Seohyun finally smiles and Luhan understands what it’s like to have someone waiting for your return, or simply just you.

 

 

“I’m sorry to interfere but the food’s getting cold.” Kyuhyun informs and the two laughs. Luhan gives her Auntie one last tight hug before getting off the table and settling himself on a seat just beside her.

 

 

“Mom was planning to bribe you not to go with food.” Kyungsoo mumbles while flopping down to his own seat.

 

 

Luhan spares her a look and chuckles, “Really?”

 

 

“Well yeah, I don’t want you to go. I’ll miss you.”

 

 

Luhan is touched. He’ll definitely miss his caring and thoughtful Auntie. “Awe, I’ll miss you as well.”

 

 

“I’ll give you a ride when you go there,” Kyuhyun offers over a mouth full of japchae.

 

 

“Thanks Uncle.”

 

 

“Can I come as well?” Kyungsoo inquires.

 

 

“Of course.” Luhan replies. He is more than happy to have met this family. He made the right choice. He’s is going to make them proud one day.

 

 

 

***

 

 

“Appa, are you sure this is the place?”

 

 

Luhan didn’t think that Kyungsoo’s eyes, which are the size of saucers, can get any bigger than that. He’s surely proven wrong. But he can’t blame his eyes for acting such way because even he can’t believe what he is seeing right now.

 

 

Kyuhyun parks the Suzuki dropside van beside a tree. “This is where the address says in the letter.” Kyungsoo gets out first and runs to the front gates.

 

 

“Woah,” he says, mesmerized. “Luhan, are you sure you’re going to work here?”

 

 

“I’m not even sure myself anymore.”

 

 

This is definitely not what Luhan had expected. Sure, he knows the pay is big but he hadn’t expected to be serving at a house this big, no it’s not even a house anymore, this is rather a mansion. Albeit his full vision of the house is partly obscured by this tall white gates where they currently stand behind, he can see from a far how grand the façade of the mansion is.

 

 

Is this the presidential blue house? Luhan isn’t even sure because he hadn’t seen it as well. It maybe is because who the the installs a fountain outside their house? Outside the mansion, a regal white fountain is erected and Luhan can see from where he stands the sparkling water splashing from it. Surrounding it is a vast green field that is properly trimmed and is obviously well taken care of. He can imagine himself rolling around the green grass without minding the dirt because it looks disturbingly clean.

 

 

Luhan is already getting goose bumps from the amount of wealth this whole place is reeking. Before he can even decide to back away, an old man in black suit approaches them and instructs the guards to open the gates. Luhan and his two compan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter