chapter one - memories

Oh Nanny!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

C H A P T E R  O N E

M     E     M     O     R     I     E     S

 

 

All pressed up in black and white, Sehun tugs his neck tie one last time before going out of the car. He makes to move around the car, stopping just in front of the back passenger side door. He yanks it open and offers a hand to her Mom as she alights the vehicle. His Mom offers a curt nod and he grabs the basket of fresh white tulips from her. Sehun always made sure to bring white tulips whenever they visit his grave. For white tulips meant forgiveness. Sehun had long since forgiven him.

 

 

"I’m still floored, the almighty and workaholic Im Yoona finally found the time to visit her son’s grave.” Sehun says while eyeing another basket of flowers that Butler Lee holds. It’s pink carnations this time. “Are those for hyung as well?”

 

 

“You don’t diss your mother like that Oh Sehun. Where are your manners? I swear the more you get older, the more disrespectful you become.” Yoona reprimands his son while fixing her lacey black floppy hat on her head. Sehun rolls his eyes. 

 

 

She wears a dress of color identical as Sehun’s, that ends just below her knees with a matching three-inch black velvety high heels. She looks more of a spring collection runway model than someone who’s visiting a grave. As expected of an Oh. Because Ohs never look less than perfect, they have to look presented all the time, all the while looking elegant as well. Not to mention that her mother’s line of business is in the fashion industry. It is a given that the owner of the prestigious ‘OMG’ (short for OH my god) clothing line is dressed like she is one.

 

 

“And no, this isn’t for your brother. I want you to meet a friend of mine after we pay our respects to your hyung.”

 

 

“Your friend… is he or she buried in here too?”

 

 

“Yeah, she is.” Yoona’s sudden downcast gaze made Sehun think that this friend she’s talking about must be that important to her. Her Mom is always a calm and collected person. Sehun almost thought she’s naïve of things because her face is always void of emotions. No wonder where he got those genes from.

 

 

“Oh, I see.” He answers meekly, trying not to squeeze more information from her. Sehun nudges her Mom to start walking because her brother’s grave is a good distance from the entrance. The cemetery officials forbid cars from further entering the premises, to preserve the quiet and peacefulness of the place, they say.

 

 

They pass series of hill-like graves and tombstones as Sehun and Yoona continues walking, Butler Lee in tow, holding two baskets of flowers. When they reach his brother’s grave, they didn’t waste time and paid their respects immediately. Butler Lee place the white tulips above the grave and Sehun offers a silent prayer while her Mom performs the keunjeol, the traditional bowing rites as paying respect for the dead.

 

 

How is life there hyung? I hope you’re finally happy now. Five years had passed and nothing really changed. I still have no idea where she is.

 

 

Sehun and Butler Lee follows suit. Yoona needs to be in an important business meeting three hours from now so they make it as quickly as they can.

 

 

“My friend’s grave is not far from here. We should head there now.”

 

 

Without a word, Sehun followed her mom. This is the first time Sehun is going to be introduced to a friend of her mother outside their business. He never really liked it during social gatherings and business parties, bowing and forcing smile to people he barely knew. Business partners, potential clients, he doesn’t care. He was forced to do this things because sadly, he’s an Oh. They expect him to be there every time because well, he’ll be inheriting all of this in the future. Sehun never really wanted a life like that. A life where he feels tethered on the neck, much like a dog where his parents hold the leash.

 

 

When they reached the grave, they did the same as earlier, venerating the soul of her late mom's friend. It didn’t end at that though, Yoona took her time by sitting on the foot of the grave, not minding the dirt and grass sticking on her dress. Sehun was left there standing, beside Butler Lee as they watched Yoona talk to her.

 

 

“Sooyoung-ah, as promised, I came back here with my son, Oh Sehun. You wanted to meet him right?” Yoona grabs the carnations in the basket. “You probably meet the other one in there,” she chuckled lightly while placing one carnation above the grave. “He looks handsome isn’t he?” She place another one beside the other. “Our Sehunnie here looks the same as well. Not to brag but, I told you, I would bear good-looking children.” Sehun rolled his eyes at that. Her mom can be vainglorious sometimes.

 

 

After placing half of the carnations, Yoona made to stand, Sehun immediately by her side as she helped her mom regain her balance. Sehun almost thought she’s finally done with her dramatic soliloquy not when she walked to the other side, not more than a meter, where another hill-like grave lies and placed the other half of the carnation above it. Sehun’s confused. So she had two dead friends here?

 

 

“Siwon-ssi, I didn’t know that you’d be this serious when you promised Sooyoung you’d be there by her side forever.” Yoona sits down, not on the ground this time, and hugs her knees close to her chest. “That’d be unfair to our little Hannie isn’t it?”

 

 

Hannie? Who’s Hannie this time?

 

 

“But don’t worry. I’m doing the best that I can to find him. I’d take care of him for the both of you. In return, look after my Reo, okay?” She rests her chin on top of her knees and her hold around her legs tightens. “I miss the both of you.” Yoona adds one last time, her voice breaking and she has to look up to prevent tears from falling. S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter