Birthday Gift to Mark

Yi-En & Ji-Eun
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A week ago Jinyoung got frustated and headache because he had no idea what kind of gift that he would give to Mark. He even made a list in his small notes with title “possibility gifts to Mark hyung’s birthday”, but ended up all the list got a big cross from him, not feeling satisfied with his own list. This is Mark 21st birthday, he wanted to give something special to his favorite hyung yet he was confused to decide.

He almost gave up when he finally dragged Suji in the middle of break time in their practice for JYP Nation One Mic concert in Japan to the rooftop of JYP building. They sat on one of the benches at there. And then Jinyoung spilled out his frustation to Suzy and asked for some opinions from her.

“How about clothes? Bag pack? Or snapback?” Suji suggested after she listening Jinyoung’s problem and asking her for suggestions.

Jinyoung shook his head, “Uhm… Mark hyung already had many of them, Suj. If I give one of them, it won’t be special anymore.” Suzy tapped her chin, typical Suzy when she was trying to figure out something.

“Okay, how about his favorite things? What is Mark’s favorite things? You can choose one and give it to him.” Jinyoung thought for a moment, “He loves skateboarding. Uhm… but I think I overheard the maknaes mentioned about skateboard when they had a little meeting in their room as present to Mark. No, I don’t want to give same thing like the maknaes.” He shook his head again, after remembered the maknaes planning.

Suzy rolled her eyes, Jinyoung’s frustration starting to spread over her. “So, what else Park Jinyoung?”

“I don’t know. I brought you here to hear some your opinions though.” Jinyoung pouted.

“I already mentioned everything, but you said no to all of them. What should I do then?” Suzy crossed her arms, a slightly irritated expression painted on her pretty face.

Seeing it, Jinyoung immediately showed off his noona-killer-agyeo to the girl beside him, worried, in case, she decided to leave him alone without finding the solution.

“Suji-ah… don’t be like that.” He said with a cute voice while doing a ‘booing-booing’, making Suji laugh in response.

“Yah! You know that I’m weak with your stupid agyeo, Park Jinyoung! So, don’t piss me off when you asked for some opinions but in the end you rejected all of them, huh!”

Jinyoung smiled, “I won’t do it again. Promise!”

“Okay,” A sweet smile showed on her face, “let’s start again. Uhm… do you know who is Mark’s favorite artists?”

“Mark’s favorite artist… he likes Drake the most. Why?”

“How about give him something related to Drake? Like CDs or T-shirt with Drake’s picture?” Suji suggested again.

“Mark already had all Drake’s collections, he even has a CD with Drake’s signed. And about T-shirt with Drake’s picture… I think it’s kinda cheap, Suj. I need something more special and get the meaning in it.”

“Well, it’s not about cheap or expensive, Jinyoung. It’s about your intention. I believe, whatever it is, if you give it with sincerity, he must be happy to accept it.” Suji explained with smile on her face.

“I know…” Jinyoung muttered. “But this is Mark’s 21st birthday, it’s special for him. And I want to give something special too.” Jinyoung dropped his gaze to his feet, feeling like he wouldn’t find any suit gifts to Mark.

“Look, Jinyoung. I believe we’ll find something. Just think again what is Mark’s favorite things that he still doesn’t have or… who else Mark’s other favorite artists and he still doesn’t have collections of them.”

Jinyoung nodded and tried to think and remember all Mark’s favorite things or his favorite artists’ collections. He recalled that Mark already had all of them. He was still in his deep thoughts when a realization suddenly hit him.

“Oi, Suj! I think I know what it is!” Jinyoung exclaimed, surprising Suji who almost fell asleep while Jinyoung was too absorbed in his thoughts.

Jinyoung chuckled seeing Suji looked so surprised with her cute sleepy face. “You fell asleep? I’m sorry, I didn’t know.”

“No, it’s okay.” Suji said while rubbing her eyes. “So, what is it?” She asked. Her sleepiness faded away eager to hear the good news from Jinyoung.

“Well, I realized something and how stupid I am just realizing it now. I think Mark will be happy if I give this gift, but I need to add a little more sweetener in it. And to get that sweetener, I need your help, Suj. Because it is related to one of your best friends.” Jinyoung explained, a big smile showed clearly on his face now. He felt excited with his own planning.

Suzy looked curious, “My best friend? Who?”

“IU sunbae-nim!” Jinyoung declared happily.

“IU unni?” Suzy tilted her head, wondering why it was related with her best friend, IU.

“Yes, IU!”

“Why is it IU unni? Oh no! Jinyoung, don’t tell me if Mark is…” Suzy widened her eyes, shocking with her own realization.

Jinyoung nodded his head with a bit enthusiasm, his grin getting wider.

“Wow, I don’t know if Mark…” Suzy muttered, smiling when she imagined something in her head, but then she continued, “so, what is your planning?”

“I’m going tell you later. We need to go back to practice room. We already late. Come on!” Jinyoung stood up from the bench and offered his right hand to Suji which was accepted gladly by her.

“Okay. So, I think you’ve figured it out. Now, you have found what gift that you will give to Mark.” Suzy said when they made their way downstairs.

“We have figured it out together! Thanks to you.”

Suzy chuckled, “My pleasure!”

***

After his talk with Suzy, that night before he went to sleep, Jinyoung thought once again. Why he was so stupid not realizing that actually it was not that hard to find gift for Mark. And why his mind never thought into it before. This was actually something that he has known since last year, the times when they were preparing for their debut.

Mark maybe was the most reserved member in GOT7. He was seldom to speak, just a few moments when he needed to speak then he would speak. Even when you tried to get something more know about him with all persuasions, it was hard to make him open. Mark was sometimes can be so timid. It didn’t make Jinyoung not to find ways to know what was Mark’s interest though. Because he always watched Mark, he observed Mark and sometimes (when he was lucky enough) he peeked onto something that actually Mark tried to hide. In that way, he could more know Mark deeper than Mark’s thought could imagine.

Before they debuted when JYP PD-nim informed that Jinyoung would re-debut with new boy group and Mark was one of trainees who included in this group until all the members finally stayed in the dorm together, it was times when Jinyoung paid his attention more to Mark. Especially because Mark was too reserved and timid, so he watched and observed Mark more.

In the beginning Jinyoung saw this Mark’s habit casually, but when he saw Mark did it regularly it was when he realized for something, that Mark always had his eyes on a certain person who appeared on TV. Jinyoung noted that when they had break times from practice especially on weekend, Mark always decided to stay at dorm. He chose to spend his time to watch Inkigayo. At first Jinyoung thought that Mark loved to watch it because he wanted to see other artists performing, but after he also saw Mark never left even one episode of You’re The Best Lee Soon Shin drama, he realized that Mark actually didn’t really watch the show. Like, what on earth that Mark watched a K-drama? He even told Jinyoung that he didn’t watch Dream High 2 (he only watched first episode when he made a cameo in it) or any other dramas. That was when Jinyoung had his suspicion.

Mark actually watched a girl that became MC of Inkigayo in that time and a girl who played the character of Lee Soon Shin in drama, none other than the Nation’s Younger Sister, IU. It made Jinyoung wondered, did Mark hyung a fan of IU sunbae-nim? But Jinyoung didn’t want to conclude his assumption too fast, he needed to do more observation.

His assumption came closer when in the mid of last year, he never saw Mark following Inkigayo anymore. He almost thought that maybe all his suspicion was wrong, but after he checked the show himself, he found that IU already leaving

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter