Gun Shot - Exo's Chen

The One Stop Shop for Oneshots!

It was midnight Saturday when you finally decided you should leave your usual cozy back corner spot in the café and head home for the night. You were an artist and time always managed to get away from you when you were placing your imagination on waiting paper. This time was no different - having started at 7:00 - so with a silent pledge to return tomorrow to finish your creation, you packed up your bag and headed out into the vacant streets.

Despite your apartment being not a far walking distance away from the café and no detection of life other than yourself, you still felt nervous and decided to tuck your bag closer to your side and pick up the pace. That was until you heard a soft, barely audible shuffling sound. You stopped in the path to your home, waiting just before the entrance of a dark alleyway that stood hauntingly to your right. Just when you thought your tired mind was playing tricks on you, the soft shuffling noise was heard again. And just as you were about to stand in front of the entrance of the alleyway thinking you might be able to find the source of the shuffling, you heard a soft pop.

A gun shot?! No, don’t be stupid _________. That was too soft a sound. Unless it was a silencer? Oh, seriously, I’ve never even heard a silencer before except in the movies. I need to stop watching so many spy movies; I’m just being paranoid now.”

Pushing those thoughts out of mind, you focused on the destination ahead. You started walking again, determined to disrupt the natural curiosity that was forming and tempting you to turn your head and look in the dark alley. However, with your focus solely on the road ahead, you failed to see the presence emerging from the darkness. It wasn’t until your body collided with someone else’s did you realize that you weren’t alone on the street.

“Oh I am so sorry! I didn’t see you there.” You were quick to apologize, but froze yet again when you looked at who you bumped into.

With eyes that were as dark as the night and no hint of discernible emotions, you started to inwardly panic. Looking down some more, you noticed he was wearing all dark clothing, and you quickly understood that he wanted to be able to blend in with the night. But what really made the blood freeze in your veins was the glinting edge of a gun the man was tucking inside his suit jacket.

Seeing the weapon, it took less than a second for you heart rate to accelerate, your blood to continue its river like flow and the rush of adrenaline that signaled your body to just RUN! And run you did; you ran like you have never run before. You almost tripped and fell on a crack in the sidewalk, but you quickly saved yourself and kept pushing forward without looking back. You didn’t stop until you had locked and barricaded your apartment door and stood breathing heavily against the hallway wall.

“What just happened? Oh no! If that was a gun I saw, then that means the pop really was a gunshot! I heard someone get murdered and I saw who did it. This is bad. Really bad.” With your mind in a jumbled mess, you simply slide down the wall and sat on the floor thinking about how your life was now going to turn out.

****************

It’s been two weeks since the incident. The morning after you had decided to go to the police station and report what you had witnessed. It was a good thing too; it turned out the man coming from the alley was a paid hit man for the Wu family, a notorious mafia in South Korea. However, despite the police knowing who he is and having the knowledge of what he does, nothing has been able to be pinned on him. For all the murders he has committed, he has gotten away with every single one of them.

Now though, the police have you. Since you heard the crime and saw who did it, you would be able to provide testimony to hopefully put the criminal behind bars. So this is where you’re at now: sitting at home for yet another day, with two officers from the witness protection program sitting outside on the street.

At first you were admittedly and understandably terrified for your life. You were afraid to step even one foot outside your apartment door and you ensured all the blinds were constantly closed, afraid a sniper was perched on the opposite building waiting for the opportune moment to pull the trigger. Now though, after two weeks, you were beginning to go crazy and feel very trapped in your apartment. You started getting bored and wished to go to the café where all your inspirations to draw took place. Deciding you had enough of just sitting at home being a scared little girl, you quickly changed out of your pyjamas, grabbed your bag and made you way to your favourite café, of course remembering to tell the officers where you were headed to.

Upon entering the café, you allowed yourself to take a well-deserved inhale of the aroma that was distinctly this café. Smiling broadly for the first time in two weeks, you went up to the counter and ordered your usual tea and chocolate muffin. It wasn’t until both items were in your hands and you turned toward your favourite seat did your smile quickly slip off your face.

“Someone is sitting in my spot! That is MY spot!”  After all this time you just wanted to start drawing again but someone was in the exact spot that allowed your creativity to flow and your imagination to run wild.

Grumpily, you plopped yourself down at the table in front of the table stealer and made sure to sit in the chair facing him so you could periodically glare at the horrible human being. Once everything was set on the table, you set about drawing, but nothing seemed to be coming out exactly as you envisioned it; you knew you were being childish but you blamed the guy who took your seat for your lack of artistic creativity.

“Am I that attractive or is there something else that makes you keep looking up at me?” You finally managed to find your groove, so you didn’t notice the presence that came to loom over you. Once you looked up though, you realized the smooth voice belonged to the table stealer. And now that you looked at him at such close proximity, you realized that he was really attractive. Not that you were going to tell him that.

“Or something else.” You shortly glared at him and quickly returned to your drawing.

“Care to share then what made you constantly glance at me?”

“I was glaring actually and no.”

“Why not?”

“Because I don’t feel like telling you.”

“Please?”

“No.”

“Oh come on.”

“Go away.”

“Please? I’m a great list—“

“You took my spot!” You cut him off and could see the shock that filled his eyes. You were being childish again.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t realize that spot was reserved. You must be a very important individual then.” The shock that was previously on his face was now replaced with amusement and victory. He got you to talk to him and he wasn’t going to let it stop there.

“It’s not reserved and I’m not an important person. It’s just, that is my favourite spot when I come here to draw.” You honestly weren’t sure why you kept talking to this strange man, but there was some mysterious and intriguing force reeling you in.

“Oh an artist huh? I would love to see your work sometime.” His smirk turned to a genuine smile and you felt yourself being pulled in even more.

“Um, sometime sure, when I’m more comfortable revealing my work. By the way, I didn’t get you name. I’m ________.”

“Chen. It’s a pleasure to meet such a beautiful artist. I look forward to seeing your work.”

And so, just like that, a special bond was formed between the two of you. It has now been a month and a half where your relationship just continued to grow. Chen and yourself would meet at the little café in the back corner; your spot specifically yours. Sometimes when you two got together, you would animatedly talk and get to know each other. Other times, when talking was not needed, Chen allowed you to draw while he silently watched you lose yourself in your passion. The only condition was that he saw your artwork afterwards.

Now coming up to the two month mark, the police had informed you they have located the hit man and will be bringing him into custody as soon as possible. Your job was to prepare yourself for the upcoming trial. With the promise of court looming not too far in the distant future, you were once again scared of going outside. If anything were to happen to you, now would be the time to do it before the trial began. However, when Chen called one sunny afternoon and said he wanted to meet because he had something to ask you, you mustered up your limited courage and agreed to meet him at the familiar café.

Exiting your apartment you automatically felt as though eyes were on you; your movements felt watched. Quickly remembering the two officers set to protect you, the thought of being watched quickly vanished from mind. Nevertheless you ran to the café and arrived before the meeting time. Fortunately, looking through the window you recognized the familiar physique of Chen and instantly felt at ease.

“Hey Chen. You’re here early.” You sat across from him and quickly took notice of the seriousness that adorned his usual light and amusement filled face.

“Um, is everything ok? What did you have to ask me?”

“Oh sorry, I zoned out there for a second. Everything is fine. It’ll actually be a lot better if this turns out the way I would like it too.” He trailed off and started laughing as he had a glimpse of your confused expression.

“You know you look really cute when you’re all confused like that. But I’ll just get to the point now. _______, I really like you and have had a lot of fun with you these past months. So my question to you is, will you be my girlfriend?”

NO FREAKING WAY!! Did he just seriously ask me to be his girlfriend? I must be dreaming!” To say the least, you were truly excited. You would have been lying to yourself if you said that Chen had not become a warm and comforting part in your life. You were always anticipating the next moment you would spend together.

You’re answer came as naturally as your drawing skills did: “YES! Oops.”

 The two of you were silent for a moment before bursting out laughing at how loud your acceptance was.

“That was really loud, but I’m glad you accepted me. It would have been really awkward if you denied.”

“I could never deny you. I was actually hoping you would someday ask me.” You both smiled warmly at the other, relishing in the comfort you both exuded. However, you still felt a pair of eyes watching you…..

******************

Two more months passed.

Four formal and romantic dates with your new lovely and charming boyfriend.

Many café dates, with much drawing and laughter.

One lost hit man and a postponed trial.

This was your world wind life again; tilting every which way and refusing to stay stable.

 

TO: _________ <3

I WANT TO SEE YOU. I MISS YOU. COME OVER TO MY PLACE.

FROM: CHEN CHEN <3

You found the text from Chen odd; it was out of character for him to send you something like that. It wasn’t as though he never texted you. He did, but with messages that consisted of a “good morning beautiful” or “sleep tight and dream of me.” When it came to making plans, he always insisted on calling you.

Although your gut was practically screaming at you that something was off, you texted him back anyway to accept his offer and let him know you would be there soon. As you got yourself ready, another text came with his address since you’ve never actually been to his house before. With 10 minutes to get ready, another 20 minutes to drive to his place, you finally stood on his doorstep hesitating to knock. You were not only intimidated since it was your first time being there, but the building itself held an intimidating aura; you were sure you were standing in front of a castle built for royalty.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

“___________? What are you doing here?” Chen managed to be by the door when you knocked, but the look of confusion coating his handsome features made you mimic his reaction.

“You invited me here. You just texted me saying to come over…..” Confusion and panic were starting to build inside of you. Could the feeling of being watched the other day, actually hold some meaning?

Before Chen could respond, another voice spoke out from behind you,

“Sorry ________, I actually texted you, not Chen.”

Turning around, your eyes took in the scene before you; one that you did not want to find yourself in, and unfortunately for you, in your rush to leave you didn’t tell the officers where you were going. With the bustle of people outside your apartment, you also doubted they even saw you leaving.

“Luhan? Why did you want _________ here?”  So Luhan was his name. The name of the man you witnessed murder someone; the name of the man who you are to go to trial against; and certainly the name of the man who would want you dead.

“Oh Chen, didn’t she tell you? Your little girlfriend here saw me coming out of an alley the other night when I finished my assignment. She is to stand on trial against me, and you know how we can’t have that. I called her over her to tie up the loose end that was mistakenly created.”  

As soon as the last word left Luhan’s mouth, everything went in agonizingly slow motion.  You registered Luhan reaching into his coat jacket and the next thing you were aware of, was the thunderous gunshot that rang through the silent air. You felt nothing and heard nothing as the piercing sound was still ringing in yours ears. However, your eyes were wide and took in everything around you, including the blood that was starting to pool across the beautifully crafted stone walkway. You were starting to now hear shouts, but everything soon became a hum of meaningless vibration as the blackness from the edges of your vision took command.

 

**********************

You woke with a start, staring ahead at the luminescent white walls of the hospital room you were staying in. Taking a deep breath in, you willed yourself to remember the events before blacking out; and that’s when it hit you.

Chen!! He took the bullet for me. He got shot by Luhan! Where is he? He can’t be dead!”

Your frantic thoughts were accompanied by frantic eyes jerking to every corner of the room, before they landed on the figure in the bed beside yours. He was there, lying as still as a corpse, and heavily bandaged from the bullet meant for you.

Silently, you walked over to him and gently touched his hand. Tears started to fall and only increased in volume and intensity when Chen stirred in your grip and you realized he was going to be okay.

“Hey, don’t cry. You’re too beautiful to be shedding tears.” As best he could, Chen reached up and wiped the tears that refused to stop flowing.

“Yo-you got sh-shot be-cause of me th-though.” You could care less that he was mafia. The fact that you loved him dearly, combined with the fact that he took a bullet for you, was enough to convince you that he was pure at heart and meant to be yours.

“And I would do it again. I would stand in front of anything if it meant protecting you. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you earlier about my being in the mafia, I thought you would be scared away and I honestly didn’t want that.”

“Honestly, I probably would have run away then, but now I love you way too much to leave you. But what about Luhan?

“Don’t worry about Luhan, just leave him to me. It may take a while but I’ll get him to back off, I’m not an easy fight you know.”

He was trying to ease the tense and grave atmosphere, but many thoughts still occupied your mind.

“What about the officers sent to protect me? What about the trial? What about – “

“Stop asking so many questions will you? In due time, we will deal with all the little details. For now though, let me just hold you and be thankful that I’m still alive to be with you.”

You didn’t need to be told twice and quickly made yourself comfortable in his welcoming arms. At this moment the two of you didn’t need any words, and you didn’t need any future plans; everything was going to fall in place, and your life will be better than ever. 

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: One shot for mayazero!! Thank you for requesting love and please feel free to request again!! Hopefully you all enjoyed reading this mafia one shot with our dear Chen....it was fun to write too :D