The start

How hard can it be?

Luhan was having a bad day. First, he woke up late, meaning he got to work late, and that meant he was fired as it wasn’t the first time. Next, he found out that his parents were in some foreign country and they had forgotten to pay his bill for his flat, so he was kicked onto the street by the landlord. Lastly, he now found himself asking his best, and oldest friend Yixing, if he could stay with him until he found a good place to stay, that was close to the university and near a job that he will find.

“Yixing please, I promise not to be a nuisance, I’ll be looking for a job and a roommate so I’ll hardy be there.” Luhan pleaded, gripping on to Yixing’s jacket clad arm. They were currently sitting in a coffee shop near the house Yixing lived in with his roommate Joonmyun.

“Luhan, I’ll have to ask Joonmyun but I don’t see why you can’t.” Yixing sighed sipping his coffee and looking around waiting for one of his friends to come and join him in the urban café.

“Thank you so much! I owe you.” Luhan hugged the boy with the floppy brown hair and the cute dimple smile before standing up. “Now if you need me I shall be job searching.”

With that Luhan was out the door and on the street. Yixing shook his head watching the honey haired boy run down the street and across the road, almost getting hit by a car while he was at it. He took a small sip of his coffee and pulled out his phone, dialling the number he probably knew by heart by now. After a few rings and glances around for the black haired boy he was looking for Yixing heard the angelic voice, which always caused his heart to speed up, of his roommate.

“Hey Yixing, I was just going to call, Kyungsoo said he’ll come round and cook tonight if we don’t mind having him and Jongin round.” Joonmyun said cheerfully, making Yixing smile.

“Yeah sure but tell him to cook for five.” Yixing said slowly, watching the boy he had been waiting for get a coffee from the boy behind the counter, flirting while he did.

“Why five?” Joonmyun’s curious voice asked. Yixing sighed for what felt like the thousandth time today.

“Luhan needs to stay with us until he finds an apartment with a roommate. Is that alright?” Yixing smiled at the grinning boy now sitting opposite him. Said boy had sharp cheekbones, a mouth that was permanently curved up at the sides and playful eyes.

“Yeah that’s fine, as long as he pays some of the bills while he’s here.” Joonmyun’s voice was happy and didn’t sound like Yixing thought it would, reproachful and sick of Luhan always running to them when he needs something, as that is what he did.

“Okay, I’ll make sure to tell him, thanks. See you when I get back.” Yixing said goodbye to his roommate and put his phone on the table, turning all of his attention to the boy in front of him.

“Everything alright Xing Xing?” Jongdae smirked at his tired looking friend, his mind still on the cute boy that served him coffee.

“Luhan got kicked out of his apartment.” Yixing sipped his coffee and looked up over the cup at Jongdae. “And lost his job.”

“Sounds like he’s had a bad day, but don’t his parents pay for his apartment?” Jongdae asked leaning back in his seat, looking at the boy behind the counter and his lips.

“Yeah but they forgot and Luhan doesn’t have the money to pay for his rent.” Yixing rolled his eyes at both the fact his best friend spent all of his money on going out every Friday with his friends and at Jongdae who was undressing the boy at the coffee counter with his eyes. “Stop eye- that boy.”

Jongdae looked over at Yixing and grinned. He took a sip of his coffee before talking. “Why doesn’t Luhan have the money? And I wasn’t eye- him, he was totally enjoying it.”

“He parties too much.” Yixing replied simply, leaning back and closing his eyes. Sometimes, Yixing thought, I wish we had never left China.

“Oh I know, he’s always in my friend’s night club.” Jongdae made a tsk sound while shaking his head. “Yifan told me he has to kick him out sometime because he’s too drunk.”

Yixing opened his tired eyes and looked at Jongdae, who was staring at the barista once again. He felt a headache developing on the right temple. Raising his fingers to massage the sore spot he realised that he would have to spend the evening with Joonmyun’s best friend Kyungsoo and his boyfriend Jongin, which would be painful enough but now Luhan will be there too so the situation got so much worse.

“Do you know anyone who needs a roommate?” Yixing groaned, his headache fully developed and throbbing. Jongdae thought for a moment, his lips pursed and his fingers tabbing the table.

“Actually I think Sehun needs a roommate as Zitao just left to live with Yifan.” Jongdae said after a while, smiling at Yixing. “Want me to mention Luhan to him, see if he’s interested?”

“Could you?” Yixing looked up at Jongdae hopefully.

“Yeah, don’t worry Sehun won’t be able to pay for his apartment alone.” Jongdae smiled and offered to buy Yixing another coffee; the latter scoffed and replied that it was only an excuse to talk to the barista again. Jongdae smirked and walked confidently over to the counter to flirt again, leaving Yixing alone with his thoughts; I’m too nice.

Luhan was in a music shop asking the tall, big-eared owner if he could have a job. While talking to the giant Luhan had realised that the boy’s voice didn’t match his face. How can someone with such a baby-face have such a deep voice? Luhan wondered as the music shop owner, Chanyeol, told Luhan about the job requirements. After around ten minutes of talking and exchanging details with Chanyeol Luhan was able to go to Yixing’s house with the good news that he had a new job.

On the way to Yixing and Joonmyun’s, Luhan saw a friend of his, Baekhyun and decided to go over and talk to him as they haven’t had much time recently to talk.

“Baekhyun!” Luhan called to the boy sitting on the bench reading a magazine. Baekhyun looked up and his eyeliner defined eyes caught sight of a waving Luhan.

“Hey, what’s up?” Baekhyun smiled patting the seat next to him, Luhan sitting down in it happily ready to tell Baekhyun all about his day.

“Well, I lost my job and my apartment but Yixing is letting me stay with him for a while and I got a new job in that music shop about a block away.” Luhan said cheerfully.

“You work for Chanyeol?” Baekhyun said surprised. Luhan turned to his friend.

“You know him?” He asked curious, almost bouncing in his seat.

“Obviously, he’s my boyfriend.” Baekhyun laughed. Luhan gasped standing up and putting a hand over his right side chest.

“You have a boyfriend and you didn’t tell me? That hurts right here.” Luhan said patting the right side of his chest like he was in pain.

“It never came up sorry. Oh, your hearts on the other side, by the way.” Baekhyun stood and put his magazine in his bag. “Now I have to go, see you in class Lulu.”

“Okay, bye Baekkie.” Luhan hugged Baekhyun before continuing to walk to Yixing’s house.

When he got there he was surprised to see Kyungsoo pushing Jongin out of the kitchen and telling him to stay away. Yixing was on the couch and Luhan guessed Joonmyun was in the kitchen as he was calm enough to help Kyungsoo cook. Luhan closed the door quietly behind him and looked around shyly; he didn’t really know Kyungsoo and Jongin and although with his friends he was mad, crazy and hyper, he was really shy around strangers and people he wasn’t really friends with.

“Luhan, are you just going to stand there of are you going to come and sit down?” Yixing asked looking over at the suddenly shy boy by the door.

“O-oh! Err…yeah.” Luhan stuttered going to sit with Yixing on the couch. Jongin smiled brightly at him and waved a little before moving his attention to the TV, which was playing some K-Drama that Joonmyun liked.

“Find a job?” Yixing asked after a ten minute silence. Luhan jumped from the sudden question and whipped round to look at Yixing with his big doe eyes.

“Huh? Oh, yeah I did. At the music shop near the park.” Luhan replied smiling at the fact that now all he needed to do was find a roommate.

“I found you a roommate.” Yixing said looking at Luhan with a bored and tired face. “Well actually Jongdae found you a roommate but I asked him too.”

“You did? Who?” Luhan asked relieved that his day was turning brighter. First he gets a job so quickly and then he finds a roommate in the same day? Oh how someone must be looking out for him.

“Oh Sehun, he’s a friend of Jongdae’s.” Or not.

“What?! Oh Sehun? I can’t live with him!” Luhan jumped up and pointed at Yixing accusingly. “How could you?! Didn’t you know I liked him?!”

“You do? I didn’t know that! You never told me who it was you liked.” Yixing said startled at his friend’s reaction. He stood and tried to calm Luhan, who was about to start hyperventilating, and talk some sense into him. “Luhan if you live with him then you can maybe get with him.”

“No…no…no…” Luhan repeated shaking his head. Luhan had the biggest crush ever on Oh Sehun, it started about two years ago when Luhan was a sophomore in University and Sehun was a freshmen, Luhan had left going to University a bit late taking a three year gap instead of one. Now as Luhan was a senior and Sehun was a junior the crush has gotten worse, it’s gotten to a point where Luhan makes a fool of himself whenever he sees Sehun. Just last week Luhan saw Sehun and decided it would be a good idea to try and kick the soccer ball off the table, resulting in Luhan falling into the dustbin that was beside the table.

“Okay, so just avoid him. You won’t find a roommate half way through the year Luhan.” Yixing said in what he thought was a comforting tone, but to Luhan it sounded like teasing.

“I’ll make a fool of myself Xing, I can’t live with him.” Luhan was on the verge of tears, but not sad tears, he was about ready to cry of frustration.

“I know Sehun and trust me he isn’t one to judge. So even if you do something stupid, he’ll just laugh, but not at you, with you.” Jongin said, speaking up for the first time.

Luhan sighed defeated. He couldn’t understand why everyone thought it was a good idea. In his mind it was a terrible idea that was basically a suicide mission. Luhan knew that if he went to live with Sehun he would ruin his chances being with him. He’s probably never noticed me before; Luhan suddenly thought I can still prove I’m manly.

“I think you should move in with him.” Jongin continued looking at Luhan kindly. “He isn’t that bad, all you need to be able to do is handle him being a brat and his bubble tea addiction.”

“Bubble tea? I love bubble tea!” Luhan exclaimed now liking the idea of living with someone who will share his love for bubble tea.

“Then you’ll get along with Sehun.” Jongin concluded cheering. Luhan gave a small smile.

“He said to call him if you wanted to.” Yixing said sitting next to Luhan and patting his back.

“I don’t have his number.” Luhan sighed looking up at Yixing through his bangs. Yixing smiled and gave Luhan a piece of paper he got from his pocket.

“Now you do.”

 

Sehun thought today would have been a good day, but he was wrong. He was always wrong. He woke to find Zitao, his roommate of three years, leaving to live with his new boyfriend, Yifan.

“Sorry Sehun, but he offered so might as well take the relationship to the next step eh?” Zitao had said smiling apologetically at Sehun, who was pouting. “You’ll be fine.”

“You’re leaving me, how will I be fine? I’ll have no-one to leave me notes telling me that they won’t be here tonight, like every night.” Sehun had replied, his pout deepening and his arms crossing.

“I was never here anyway so I don’t see why it should matter.” Zitao had said standing in the door, ready to leave. “You’re just lonely, go find yourself a boyfriend.”

Next Sehun found out that rent was due in a couple of days and he didn’t have enough to pay for it.

“Stupid Zitao, leaving me when rent is due.” Sehun had whispered angrily as he opened the bill that told him how much rent would be that month.

Lastly, the cute guy he likes wasn’t at his usual place, not that Sehun stalks him it’s just the cute guys work place was on the way to the bubble tea shop. The only good thing that happened that day was Jongdae calling him and asking if he wanted a new roommate, he had called Jongdae the minute Zitao had left and whined on and on about how Zitao betrayed him and was leaving him forever. When Jongdae asked if he wanted a new roommate Sehun replied ‘I don’t want a new roommate, I need a new roommate.’ So now he was having a good day, all he had to do was wait to see it this new roommate would call.

Sehun didn’t have to wait long as the new roommate; ‘newbie’ Sehun was calling him until he found out the name of his new roommate, called just after dinner.

“Hello?” Sehun answered.

“H-hi, my names Luhan, I’m the guy who…err…wants to be your roommate?” the guy, Luhan, sounded scared which it made Sehun chuckle a little.

“Okay, so when do you want to move in? I need someone to help me pay the bills.” Sehun said as he thumbed through a magazine.

“O-oh…aren’t you going to ask if I’m like a or s-something?” Sehun laughed thinking about how cute Luhan sounded.

“You don’t sound like a , but are you?” Sehun asked amused playing along.

“N-no and I’m not a p-e either.” Luhan said quickly.

“Why would you be?” Sehun asked curious.

“W-well I’m f-four years older than y-you.” Luhan said quietly. Sehun smirked; he had always liked people older than him.

“Oh so you’re my hyung?” Sehun raised an eyebrow even though he knew Luhan couldn’t see him. Maybe he’ll distract me from the cute guy Sehun thought.

“You d-don’t have to call me hyung, I’m Chinese so to me it doesn’t matter.” Gah, cute guy is Chinese, Luhan why you be so similar? Sehun thought angrily.

“Oh okay, I guess it will be a nice change to not call someone hyung.” Sehun said after a minute silence and a battle in his head. “When do you want to move in?”

“Umm…tomorrow? I don’t want to have to stay with Yixing for long…” Luhan said mostly to himself. Sehun smiled at the cute voice.

“Okay, I’ll text you the address.” He said, sitting in front of the TV just in time for his show to come on. “Well come round whenever tomorrow, I’ll be here. See ya.”

Sehun hung up without a reply and quickly texted his address to Luhan, also saving his number. Then he settled into the couch to watch his favourite K-drama. That was Sehun’s life really, university classes, hang with Zitao and Jongin, sometimes Jongdae, then come home and eat junk food and watch K-drama’s. Zitao was never around normally but still used to pay rent so he still counted as Sehun’s roommate, just didn’t stay at the apartment much. He was normally with his boyfriend Yifan.

The next day, Sehun woke feeling happy. He woke like this yesterday but today he was going to make sure he stayed happy. I mean it was Saturday so Sehun had no work or classes and the new roommate was coming today so Sehun’s mind would be taken off the cute guy. Sehun didn’t really know why this boy was stuck in his mind, maybe it was the cuteness of his face or the fact that he played soccer, but Sehun was sure it wasn’t the way the cute guy seemed to always be doing something stupid when Sehun saw him. All Sehun did know was that the guy was cute and was someone Sehun would like to talk to, if he wasn’t so shy. I don’t actually know what cute guy looks like up close, Sehun realised one day when he was thinking about the cute boy he obsesses over, how will I ever talk to him?!

Normally the cute guy being in Sehun’s mind annoyed him so he usually went out with friends to take his mind off him. Though he normally ended up rambling on about the cute guy and his friends usually ended up leaving because they were bored. Jongin was the only one who ever stayed and talked to him about the cute guy, normally telling him to man up and talk to the guy but Sehun normally said that was a stupid idea.

By midday Sehun was still happy and couldn’t wait to meet his new roommate, though he didn’t know why as he was a pretty antisocial person. He guessed it was just a feeling he had that told him the roommate was going to be good for him, not that he knew how. Sehun had drunk five chocolate bubble teas by the time the doorbell sounded signalling the arrival of Sehun’s new roommate. Sehun jumped up and ran to the door, just remembering to put on a poker face before opening it. What he saw was a petite boy with honey blonde hair and big doe eyes who was holding a Taro bubble tea. He’s cute Sehun thought giving the boy a quick once over.

Luhan had been nervous all day. He didn’t know what he would say when he saw Sehun, as he was sure that when Jongin said Sehun won’t judge him he didn’t realise how stupid Luhan can really be. He just knew that when he rang the doorbell to Sehun’s apartment, which was in front of him, he would mess up and do something stupid. Taking a deep breath Luhan pressed the doorbell and stepped back. Luhan didn’t have to wait long for the door to be opened by a straight faced Sehun, who stepped aside to let Luhan in, taking his bags for him. Luhan had time to register that Sehun looked hot in a plain white V-neck and black jeans with no shoes and his blonde hair all messed up from running his hand through it before he was being rushed towards a room at the end of the corridor.

“Here’s your room, my room is next door and the bath room is just up the hallway. Make yourself at home.” Sehun smiled before going into the kitchen calling over his shoulder. “You want food?”

“O-oh yes please.” Luhan said nervously putting his remaining bags on the floor next to where Sehun had put his other bags. I’m not going to act stupid and silly Luhan thought as he walked into the kitchen I will be manly.