Chapter 4

Our present past

Chapter 4

Taeyeon POV

"Oh dear, it seems I teased your king too much." I whispered to the head guard Tao who remained silent but nodded in agreement. I then felt a chill run down my spine and turned around to find one of the knights glaring at me fiercely. Oh, have I found another teasing buddy?

"I wonder what I did wrong." I said loud enough for the knight to hear and it seems my taunt worked as he grabbed my hand and turned me around roughly and now he was going to tell me everything I have done wrong. But of course I won't just stand here silent, like I usually did when my father or brothers lectured me on the 'dangerous' things I did.

"You dare ask what you did wrong?! You dared to lie to our king." The knight scowled as he glared at me fiercely to which I interjected saying "But technically I didn't really lie, seeing as I do have an Arcadian ancestry as well as the fact that I did tell the truth on our first meeting and yet your king didn't believe me so I decided to joke around with him and yet he simply did not get it."

"He is our king! He doesn't have to get it and who are you to be playing around with his majesty." The knight scoffed to which I rebutted with "Ah yes, but he is not my King and you don't know who I am. Therefore, in the case that I may just be someone of importance, I would say that it would be smart not to do anything too extreme when punishing me. So I don't fear your king nor do I see any reason to obey him. Thus, what right do you have to tell me off like this, Sir Knight."

This left him speechless and frozen so we left him there and continued to my cell. My cell was pretty secluded from the camp, in fact it was the only cell there. I guess they at least had the decency to not put me in with their prisoners of war, which I'm sure they have and are most likely all male. Once we arrived Tao told the rest of the knights to leave and that he would keep the first watch. The others bid farewell, leaving the two of us alone, me locked up in my cell and Tao sitting in a chair, facing my cell.

"You did go too far Taeyeon." Tao spoke out, breaking the awkward silence between us. I sighed to myself knowing that he was right, I went as far to call Kyungsoo a 
tyrannical wolf king. I cringed as I remembered that hurt look in his eyes as I said those words judging him only with what I've seen so far and for my own entertainment.

"I understand, I get that the whole tyrannical wolf king reputation is only a persona to prevent those around him from trying to manipulate him and his power." Tao looked at me surprised, I guess he didn't expect me to understand the Kings feelings.

"Don't look so surprised, I only understand because I realised I was a hypocrite, seeing that hurt look in his eyes. You see, your king and I are exactly alike although our circumstances are quite different. He acts to push people away and I act to keep people around me. We are both surrounded by people watching our every move, waiting for us to make a wrong move, in his case to show his incompetency and take his throne, in my case to give my family an excuse to keep me sheltered for the rest of my life like a caged bird. We simply can't trust anyone to understand us enough to accept our true selves. But from the looks of it, King Kyungsoo does have someone he trusts and that's you. So I guess he's got the upper hand in our somewhat similar fates." I chuckled sadly to myself, cursing myself for making myself feel more alone than ever.

Suddenly there was a click and I looked up to see Tao opening my cell and gesturing me to get out. "You are the only person to ever understand his majesty to such a depth and not only that but you also realised the trust his highness has in me even if he never makes it clear. Therefore I trust you, so I will now take you to his majesty because I'm sure that right now that stubborn king is regretting his decision to lock you up and I guess I've let him dwell on his regret long enough. Your not the only one that likes to tease his majesty." Tao explained with a smirk on his face as he then led me towards the kings tent.

Tao POV

This mysterious woman understands his majesty so much that it astounds me, seeing as she had only met the King a few hours ago and yet already she had seen through our kings facade. She was able to see Kyungsoos true self, his self that had been buried deep within himself behind his wolf king persona and from what I have observed not only can this woman see through his act but she can also make him break out of character and act like himself, letting go of his inhibitions.

Maybe she's the one that can stand by his side and support him, maybe she's the Queen I have been praying and waiting for who can support and understand his majesty and help mould him into a powerful and wise king who doesn't have to rely on his wolf king persona.

She certainly has the strength to support Kyungsoo, from what I can recall from what I saw when she was fighting on the battlefield. She executed her attack perfectly, knocking the man unconscious with one hit, using her speed and agility to make that one hit with precision.

Kim Taeyeon, can you be the Queen I have been searching for?

Taeyeon POV

Tao led me to the kings tent but told me to remain behind another tent as there were guards outside the kings door. Once Tao had dismissed the guards and took over their position, he motioned for me to come as he then opened the flap to the tent before closing it behind me and standing guard outside so that we won't be disturbed.

"I thought, I ordered for no one to disturb me right now!" Kyungsoo roared as he continuously paced back and forth, not bothering to look at me. I chuckled as I watched him pacing with that anxious look on his face.

"I guess I'll ask Tao to bring me later when your free." I teased as I turned my back on him slowly making my way to the door but I was stopped when King Kyungsoo suddenly grabbed my hand and turned me around to face him.

I must've made a painful expression because Kyungsoo quickly released his grip on my hand and backed away guiltily as he saw me rub my hand in pain. "Quite the grip you have there your majesty, I thought my hand would be crushed." I said jokingly but it seems he took it seriously as he now looked at his own hand with a look of horror before looking back at me with regret and guilt.

This had me overcome with emotion as I ran up to the now fragile King before me and embraced him tightly, holding the hand he looked at in horror chanting "It's ok." As a way to reassure him that everything was okay, that I was okay. I don't know why but I seem to be making all the wrong moves today and hurting this supposed 'tyrannical wolf king'.

"I'm sorry...."Kyungsoo whispered as he moved out of my embrace and looked at me sincerely before kissing the hand he hurt. I smiled at seeing this gentle side of his and his genuine apology warmed my heart. 

I moved my hand to caress his face and apologised for my insensitivity and my jokes. I had only wanted to test him and I had gone too far, but I have to admit that I was glad that my test succeeded, since now I can see a side of this Wolf King that I'm sure no one has ever seen before. Who would've thought this wolf king was really a little puppy on the inside.

Kyungsoo POV

"I thought, I ordered for no one to disturb me right now!" I growled as I continuously paced back and forth, irritated at the disruption of my deep thought. I needed time to think of a suitable way to apologise to Taeyeon, feeling anxious of her possible reaction.

"I guess I'll ask Tao to bring me later when your free." Wait, isn't that... I turned quickly to see her figure slowly making her way to the exit but I stopped her before she could open the flap to my tent and grabbed her hand and turned her around to face me.

I saw a flash of pain come across her face as she looked at her hand which I quickly let go of, cursing myself and my rough hands for hurting her. "Quite the grip you have there your majesty, I thought my hand would be crushed." She said humorously, but her humour was lost on me as I then stared at my hands, regretting what I had done, to think I actually dared to touch her with these bloodstained hands and even hurt her in the process. Guilt overwhelmed me as I just couldn't forgive my actions towards Taeyeon.

As I was consumed by my self loathing I was embraced tightly by Taeyeon, who was now holding the hand I had hurt her with chanting "It's ok." Her hug warmed me to the depths of my cold heart with waves of relief flooding through me as I remained in the embrace of this beautiful angel before me

"I'm sorry...."I whispered as I moved out of her embrace, with the utmost sincerity with my apology before kissing the hand I had hurt. My heart beat increased as I raised my head from her hand to see her breathtakingly beautiful smile. How I wished that this moment would last forever, that she would stay with me like this, smiling at me and only me. 

She then raised her hand to my face and caressed it, to which I willingly moved into her caress, wanting to feel more of her warm and gentle touch. She then apologised for what she had done earlier but I pushed that out of my mind, wanting to savour this precious moment with her.

She giggled and gave me another of her gorgeous smiles before removing her hand from my face much to my disappointment which earned me another melodious giggle from Taeyeon. Ah, her smile and laugh just makes me feel warm and happy, it's much better than the cold glare I received earlier today and I never want to experience that again I thought as I shivered from the memory.

"I'll go back to my cell now your highness, it's late and you need your sleep if your going to rule this kingdom properly." Taeyeon said with a smile as she made her way to the exit.

"Wait." I stopped her to which she looked at me and tilted her head cutely with a confused look on her face. I felt a smile creep up on my face as I stared at this adorable lady before me. "You don't have to stay in that cell, I'll have Tao you to one of our tents." I said sincerely, not wanting her to spend another minute in that dark and dreary cell.

She then shook her head with a wistful smile on her face saying guiltily "No, I think that I will stay in that cell. I deserve it for my inappropriate behaviour from before, so please let me stay in the cell so I don't feel guilty." I sighed at her request, knowing that she was serious from the look on her face and I didn't want her to feel guilty even though I've already forgiven her.

"Fine, I'll let you stay there but only for tonight and then you will be moved to a tent okay? Also, I'll send down proper bedding and blankets to keep you warm, I don't want you getting cold there." I said as I gave into her whim which allowed me to see another one of her ravishing smiles. Now I knew I had made the right decision.

She then bid me farewell and was about to leave but I stopped her again as I remembered something. "Oh and Taeyeon, I would like you to join me in attending the jousting tournament tomorrow. Today we established a victory against the Arcadian kingdom so we are celebrating with the tournament." I said before waving her off to go back to her cell. She then excitedly thanked me and wished me goodnight, even giving me a kiss on the cheek saying "Sweet dreams." Before making her way to leave my room with Tao. I chuckled and whispered to myself "Yes, I'll have sweet dreams now thanks to you, Kim Taeyeon." I then excitedly went to sleep, wanting tomorrow to come quickly so I can see my angel again.

Taeyeon POV

I smiled happily at the thought of actually witnessing a real life jousting tournament. Sure I've seen re enactments of such events but now I get to see it in its actual time period. The thought caused me to frown as I remembered that I am indeed in another time period and instead of getting distracted, I should be figuring out a way to get back to my time period.

"What's wrong Taeyeon? You were smiling so happily and now your frowning. What happened?" Tao asked with a concerned look on his face as he walked beside me, leading me back to my cell.

I've taken a liking to Tao, with his upright, loyal and trustworthy personality. But I know I can't possibly explain my situation to him without sounding like a loony, so I brushed him off with a half lie saying "There's nothing wrong, I was just thinking of the jousting tournament and wondered what the winner would gain from it."

"Ah, so his majesty invited you to the jousting tournament tomorrow. Well, the tournament is extremely popular with men from all over the kingdom coming to compete for the grand prize which is the kings word to grant the champion one wish, as long as it does not go against the interests of the king or the people of the kingdom." Tao explained .

So the king will grant the winner one wish. Does that mean that if I were to enter I could possibly get permission from the king to have access to any means in his kingdom which could help me get back home? This could be my chance at getting a lead on how I got here and how I can get back.

I then discussed with Tao about how to enter and the rules of the tournament, luckily I was actually interested in such things before my father and brothers overprotective period and was able to master jousting. Hopefully it's enough to win the tournament tomorrow or else my attempts to return to my time period will be severely hindered. I can only rest up now and hope for the best tomorrow.