3/4

On Different Ends

 

"Hey Baekhyun!"

 

Baekhyun turned at the voice and saw a giant running towards him.

 

"Hey Chanyeol!" Baekhyun smiled as they did their bro fist handshake. "Sup?"

 

"Nothing, it's just that you know that the week after next Friday night the frat club's gonna have our annual initiation party for the freshmen right?"

 

Baekhyun's gear in his mind whirled fast. Why is Chanyeol asking him this? Of course he knows. Did Kyungsoo hate him going to parties in the past? Is Chanyeol testing him? Is he trying to see if he will go even if Kyungsoo hates parties? He knows that Kyungsoo is a hater of fun while he loves fun, but...

 

"Yeah, but I don't think I can go because Kyungsoo -"

 

"You could ask him along," Chanyeol smiled. There was a slight wavering in his tone, and Baekhyun couldn't interpret the meaning behind his words. "I mean, if he wants to. Even though it's members-only but him being your boyfriend, I could make it an exception." Chanyeol winked.

 

Erm...okay... It's plain weird now.

 

"Err... I'll ask him-"

 

"Great! See you guys there!" Chanyeol grinned before he skips away to class.

 

---

 

"Say, Kyungsoo," Baekhyun asked as Kyungsoo was busy filing whatever he was filing.

 

"What?" Kyungsoo mumbled a reply.

 

"What are you doing next next Friday?" Baekhyun squeaked.

 

"Don't remind me about that week."

 

...did Chanyeol told him about the party already?

 

"It is the week for the Juilliard live audition! I'm so nervous!" Kyungsoo exclaimed.

 

Baekhyun don't know why, but he heaved a sigh of relieve. Maybe it's because he didn't want Chanyeol talking to Kyungsoo, vice versa.

 

"Really? Wow, then I better not bother you while you prepare-"

 

"What is it?" Kyungsoo asked.

 

"It's nothing actually... Just..."

 

"Just what?"

 

"Do you wanna go to the frat club party? Jongdae will be there and I know that it's lame and you hate parties. We can go out and celebrate if you want or you can go to the party to celebrate and and and..." Baekhyun blabbered all the way until Kyungsoo appeared in front of him and smacked him in the head with his folder.

 

"Ouch! What is that for?!" Baekhyun shouted.

 

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. "You're babbling. Get to the point."

 

"Do you wanna go to the party with me on Friday night?" Baekhyun rubbed his head, tears filling up the corner of his eyes because, damn, for a small guy, Kyungsoo really packs a punch.

 

"I am taking the night flight back from New York on Thursday night," Kyungsoo hummed as he turned back to filing his repertoire. "The flight is about fourteen hours. I should be back in Korea by Friday afternoon, so I should be able to make it for the party."

 

"I mean, the party of the frat club and Jongdae will be there too and I would be happy if you come but if you don't want to then- WAIT. What?!" Baekhyun exclaimed, eyes turning wide.

 

"I said I will go with you."

 

"But you hated parties..." Baekhyun trailed off.

 

Kyungsoo shrugged. "Well, it's the frat club. Meaning Chanyeol would be there. And we can piss him off even more, isn't it great?"

 

"Yeah! I mean, sure, of course," Baekhyun said, trying to contain his happiness.

 

Another opportunity up for the taking. Baekhyun did an inner fist pump to himself.

 

Friday it is, then.

 

---

 

"So he agreed to be your fake boyfriend, faked kissed you inside a lecture hall, took you on a date, and now he's asking you out to the frat party. Anything else you wanna tell me about?"

 

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes for the nth time.

 

"Yes Jongdae, we did all of those stuff. Now get off my back already. You were supposed to help me practice for the audition. Not judge me for my non-existential love life," Kyungsoo grumbled.

 

"Sounds like someone's interested in you," Jongdae grinned as he leaned on top of Kyungsoo's scores which he was marking certain dynamic changes on. Kyungsoo glared at Jongdae before knocking Jongdae on the head with his pencil.

 

"Ouch! What's that for?" Jongdae yelped.

 

"You're blocking my view of vision," Kyungsoo grumbled as he drew a diminuendo. "Now go away, I need to practice!"

 

"You've practiced enough. You've memorized your Shostakovich and Bach. Shouldn't you take a break?" Jongdae asked.

 

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes once more and flicked Jongdae on his forehead. "There is nothing such as finished practicing. You have to perfect every single little detail. No wonder you are just a vocal major."

 

"Hey!"

 

Kyungsoo stuck out his tongue as he turned back to his scores.

 

---

 

Two weeks flew by quickly.

 

Kyungsoo stood in front of the mirror, breathing heavily to calm his nerves.

 

Passport? Checked. Repertoire? Checked. Polished cello and seasoned bow? Checked. Résumé? Checked. Even through all the checking, Kyungsoo still felt as if something bad might happen and just blow everything up in his face. He was making weird faces to himself as he slid on his black polo shirt and denim shorts.

 

"It's the day of your flight?" Baekhyun asked, suddenly appearing out of nowhere (actually he just went to the toilet) and successfully scaring Kyungsoo.

 

"Yeah," Kyungsoo replied.

 

"Nervous about your audition?" Baekhyun asked, putting his hands on Kyungsoo and squeezing it to massage Kyungsoo tightened nerves.

 

"A little," Kyungsoo said, feeling his tension easing as he relaxes. Baekhyun is good with his hands.

 

"Oh! I remembered something," Baekhyun said as he hurried away from Kyungsoo and dug through his drawer. Kyungsoo frowned as he walked behind Baekhyun to try to figure out what the other was doing. It wasn't long before Baekhyun pulled out a pink colour box and took out a bottle of perfume from it.

 

"This is...?" Kyungsoo looked at the perfume skeptically.

 

"Chloé," Baekhyun replied as-a-matter-of-factly.

 

"Yeah, I know but what is it for?" Kyungsoo asked. Baekhyun only grins cheekily as he sprayed seven drops over Kyungsoo's dress shirt.

 

"What the hell? What are you doing?" Kyungsoo glared at Baekhyun. He smells his shirt and it reeks of floral and musky scent from the perfume that is too girly for him.

 

"It's for good luck!" Baekhyun chirped.

 

"Good luck?"

 

"My grandmother gave it to me years ago before she passed away," Baekhyun smiled softly. "She said it's for good luck every time when I have a public performance. And each time I perform, I will spray it over myself seven times, for luck. I haven't used it in a while as I haven't got many performances. So I was sort of saving up my luck, but I figured no harm sharing it with you. Here, you can bring it to New York with you. Just remember seven drops before going up the stage and everything will be fine!"

 

Kyungsoo was loss for words.

 

"T-thank you," Kyungsoo blushed. God damn it Kyungsoo, you never blushes!

 

"You're welcome," Baekhyun smiled. "Now let's go, or we will be late!"

 

Kyungsoo smiled at Baekhyun before frowning. "We?"

 

"Well, yeah," Baekhyun grinned. "A boyfriend should always send his boyfriend off, so I should be sending you off shouldn't I? Let's go!" He chuckled as he pulled Kyungsoo's black luggage for him.

 

Well, maybe Baekhyun is going too far at being his fake boyfriend.

 

But it didn't feel that bad on Kyungsoo's point of view.

 

---

 

At the airport, Jongdae and Professor Kim is waiting for Kyungsoo's arrival.

 

As Baekhyun walked hand in hand with Kyungsoo towards them, Jongdae raises his brow at Kyungsoo while Professor Kim smiled.

 

"Are you ready for this?" Professor Kim asked.

 

Kyungsoo took in a deep breath and nodded.

 

"Alright, I will help us check in," Professor Kim said as he took over Kyungsoo's luggage and cello from Baekhyun and walked to the check in counter.

 

"I'll leave you two alone to talk," Jongdae smiled at Baekhyun then winks at Kyungsoo before jogging off to follow Professor Kim.

 

Baekhyun chuckled as he suddenly pulls Kyungsoo into a hug. Kyungsoo was shocked. He tried to push Baekhyun away, but Baekhyun's arm tightens more around him.

 

"What are you doing?" Kyungsoo asked. "We are in the public!"

 

"I'm giving you good luck," Baekhyun mumbled against Kyungsoo's hair. "Have a safe flight and come back in one piece, okay?"

 

"Alright already, geez," Kyungsoo said as he finally got out of Baekhyun's hold. Baekhyun only chuckles as he reaches out and ruffles Kyungsoo's hair.

 

"I'm just worried about my little boy," Baekhyun jested.

 

"I'm not little," Kyungsoo murmured.

 

"So you're not denying that you're mine?" Baekhyun winked.

 

"I am definitely not yours either," Kyungsoo said rolling his eyes, ignoring the blush creeping up his neck.

 

"You’re blushing," Baekhyun stated.

 

"No I'm not," Kyungsoo replied, folding his arms.

 

"Yes you are! You're totally blushing! Look at your ears!" Baekhyun laughed.

 

"I have to go, goodbye Baekhyun," Kyungsoo said, turning and ran towards the waiting Professor Kim.

 

Behind him, Baekhyun laughed as he shouted. "Bye Kyungsoo, I love you too!"

 

And this time, it was undeniable that Kyungsoo's face actually turned bright red.

 

---

 

The flight to New York was exactly fourteen hours and sixteen minutes long.

 

As they touched down and got out of the airport, Kyungsoo was amazed to be in the foreign land. Everyone was speaking English, and there were little to no Korean at all. The language itself has always amazed Kyungsoo because to him, English is a beautiful language that he had learned since the age where he decided that he wanted to enter Juilliard. And that was in third grade.

 

Professor Kim hailed a taxi and both of them hopped on and got to the hotel where they were supposed to check in at. It was a luxurious hotel, but the school is providing subsidies for Kyungsoo as he was under the scholarship programme.

 

After getting a day's rest, it was the day of the audition.

 

Kyungsoo just got ready as he fixed his dress shirt and long black pants in front of the mirror. After doing so, he eyed the bottle of Chloé in his bag. It meant a lot to Baekhyun, the perfume. Opening the cap, he sprayed exactly seven drops over himself and let the musky floral scent sink in. It wasn't so bad after all.

 

There were soon, gentle knocks on his door, and he went to it knowing that it's Professor Kim. Together, they got out of the hotel and hopped on a cab to Juilliard.

 

Entering Juilliard was slightly threatening for Kyungsoo. The ceilings were beautifully painted, and everything is just so artistic. Kyungsoo could not believe that this would be the place where he would soon be studying at. Provided that he passed the live auditions.

 

Professor Kim registered for Kyungsoo while he sits down on a chair and admired the ceiling. It was indeed a true piece of art. And soon, Kyungsoo was told to follow the receptionist to a waiting room to set up and tune his instrument before the live audition. Professor Kim was told to go to the auditorium where the audition would be held out at, leaving Kyungsoo all alone by himself.

 

After setting up and tuning his cello to four hundred and forty-two plus fifteen, he sat down on the chair and prayed. It wasn't long before his name got called.

 

"Do Kyungsoo?"

 

Kyungsoo looked up and saw a lady in a black dress and black heels.

 

"I am," Kyungsoo replied.

 

"Résumé and repertoire please," Kyungsoo handed over his folder over to the lady. "The judges are ready for you," she announced. "Follow me."

 

Kyungsoo got up from his seat and walked behind the lady into the concert hall, with his scores in his hand and his cello in the other; he stepped up the stage and walked to the centre where a chair has been positioned for him. He faced the judges.

 

There were three of them; an American man, an American woman, and an Asian woman. He inhales deeply before introducing himself.

 

"Good afternoon, my name is Do Kyungsoo, final year student pursuing the Bachelor with Honours in Cello under Honggik University of Korea. And today I will be performing for the live audition for a placement in Juilliard's Specialist Masters Scholarship Programme," Kyungsoo said in fluent English, while the judges kept quiet and flipped through the folder he had passed to the lady from before.

 

"You have translated the clarinet solo from 'Danzon No.2 by Arturo Märquez' into a viola rendition with the cello as accompany?" The Asian lady judge asked.

 

"Yes mam," Kyungsoo replied. "Back in Year Two under the Musical Translatory module."

 

"Interesting," she nodded. They were quiet for another moment before another judge spoke.

 

"So your repertoire for tonight consists of 'Shostakovich Cello Concerto No.1 First Movement' performed from memory, 'Bach Cello Suite No.1 in G' the Prelude and the Sarabande also performed from memory, 'Boccherini Sonata L’Imperatrice', the 'Lutoslawski Cello Concerto', 'Saint-Saëns The Swan', and also 'Cello Sonata No.2, Op.58 -- Allegro assai vivace' from the Romantic period," One of the judges said. "Six pieces, two performed from memory. As per the live audition repertoire requirements."

 

"Yes sir," Kyungsoo replied.

 

"Okay, good luck," the judge said. "You can start whenever you want."

 

Kyungsoo bowed before taking a seat. His fingers threaded on his bow lightly, and he set his cello softly on his shoulder, and the bottom tip touching his little holder as always.

 

He took in a tentative breath, and he played.

 

---

 

The audition was two hours long. By the end of it, Kyungsoo felt as though his fingers were blistering.

 

He couldn't tell if it went well or did he completely flopped the whole audition, because at the end, the judges only gave him a "we will contact you as soon as we made our decisions" which probably meant something along the line of "we will discuss and pick out your mistakes and send you a letter of rejection in two weeks’ time".

 

Even though Professor Kim had assured him again and again that he played beautifully, he couldn't get rid of the pinching feeling in his gut. It felt as though his sixth sense is telling him that he screwed up his audition and his future is gone and obliterated.

 

The fourteen hours and sixteen minutes flight back to Korea did not make it any better.

 

But as soon as Kyungsoo touched down in Korea again, he felt safe once more. It felt as though being in a foreign land alone with typically no one scares him. He could not help but to fathom how it would be like if he were to be in Juilliard all alone for the next three years if he got into the programme.

 

Getting out from the arrival area, Kyungsoo saw Baekhyun waving enthusiastically at him. The other boy literally ran towards him and enveloped him in a bear hug. Kyungsoo was already too tired to care about what Baekhyun was doing.

 

"I missed you," Baekhyun breathed into his ear.

 

"Yeah, I miss you too," Kyungsoo said, words not even registering in his brain as he speaks.

 

They both hopped onto the subway and took the forty-seven minutes train ride from Incheon all the way back to Hongdae. On the train, Kyungsoo dozed off on Baekhyun's shoulder, but Baekhyun did not mind at all. Upon reaching their stop, Baekhyun gently nudge Kyungsoo who immediately jolts up awake. They got off, and walked back to the guesthouse.

 

Kyungsoo sighs as he steps into his room at the guesthouse. It was then, Baekhyun thought it to be safe to ask.

 

"How was the audition?" Baekhyun asked.

 

"I'm not sure, but one thing I'm sure is that I'm feeling shagged as hell," Kyungsoo flopped down onto his bed.

 

Baekhyun rose from his seat and walked towards Kyungsoo. "So are you still up for the party? If you're not we could just stay here and you could rest."

 

Kyungsoo frowned as he thought over it.

 

But then suddenly, a party doesn't sounds so bad for him after all.

 

---

 

To say that Kyungsoo was surprised is an understatement, because stepping into the frat house for the party wasn't as bad as it seemed. At the entrance, Chanyeol grinned as he let the both of them in (grinning more towards Kyungsoo). Kyungsoo paid no attention to him.

 

The both of them got in, and Kyungsoo actually found the party pleasant. It was as though the party hasn’t even started. There were a few people on the dance floor dancing to soft music. At a side, there’s a makeshift bar where the bartender is flirting with the ladies. Kyungsoo was enjoying the ambience as he swayed side by side to the music. Then, Chanyeol went up to the platform and tapped on the mike.

 

"Welcome!" Chanyeol said loudly through the mike, and the music instantly quiets down. "Welcome, to the initiation night where freshmen will speak their vow to the club." The crowd cheered, until Chanyeol held up a hand and they quiets down once more. "Now, we see a few fresh faces around here, and we have seen some old faces. And its 8PM now, the beer keg will be out soon. But first, shall we have some live performances, as per usual, before the beer keg arrives?"

 

The crowd cheered loudly as Chanyeol pretended to scan the crowd from the platform where he was standing. Chanyeol then, locked on to Baekhyun and Kyungsoo and grinned. Kyungsoo turned and look at Baekhyun who gave him a confused expression in return.

 

"Baekhyun my boy, come on and give us some of your ivory-tickling skills," Chanyeol grinned as he gestured the piano to Baekhyun. Baekhyun smiled awkwardly as he shook his head.

 

"No can do, man. I haven't got time to practice a song-"

 

"Nonsense Baekhyun, we all here know that you spend half your life in here playing the piano. Surely there's one or two songs on your repertoire?" Chanyeol said suggestively. The club room filled with cheers and laughter, everyone encouraging Baekhyun to take the stage.

 

"Go on," Kyungsoo smiled, nudging Baekhyun. "You were singing great that night when I barged in on you."

 

Baekhyun looked at Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo was smiling and urging him on. Slowly, Baekhyun got up from his seat and the crowd went wild.

 

"That's my boy! Come up here!" Chanyeol grinned.

 

Baekhyun cleared his voice as he took the mike from Chanyeol. "Well, I do have a song that I've been practicing..."

 

"Let's hear it! Shall we give a round to Baekhyun?" Chanyeol said. The crowd clapped and cheered as Baekhyun sat down on the piano chair. The crowd turned silent as Baekhyun places his fingers on the keys. He cleared his throat once more and started hitting the keys with perfect chords he memorized by heart.

 

"What would I do without your smart mouth?

Drawing me in, and you kicking me out.

You got my head spinning, no kidding, I can't pin you down.

What's going on in that beautiful mind?

I'm on your magical mystery ride.

And I'm so dizzy, don't know what hit me, but I'll be alright."

 

"Classic dream boy material huh?" Chanyeol asked as he slid down beside Kyungsoo who was mesmerized by Baekhyun's song.

 

"Beautiful song with a beautiful voice," Kyungsoo commented with a soft voice.

 

"My head's underwater, but I'm breathing fine.

You're crazy and I'm out of my mind.

'Cause all of me, loves all of you.

Love your curves and all your edges.

All your perfect imperfections.

Give your all to me, I'll give my all to you.

You're my end and my beginning.

Even when I lose I'm winning."

 

"Why are you here? You don't like parties," Chanyeol asked, looking at Kyungsoo deeply.

 

"People change, and I like being here in this type of party with soft piano music and all," Kyungsoo said nonchalantly. Chanyeol said nothing as he took another sip of his beer. Somehow Kyungsoo couldn't tear his gaze away from Baekhyun as the pianist went into a soft, lilting falsetto.

 

"Cause I give you all of me.

And you give me all of you, oh."

 

"That falsetto was an ovary exploder," Chanyeol said. To which Kyungsoo only hummed in response as he wasn't really keen to make conversation with his ex.

 

"How many times do I have to tell you?

Even when you're crying you're beautiful too.

The world is beating you down, I'm around through every mood.

You're my downfall, you're my muse.

My worst distraction, my rhythm and blues.

I can't stop singing, it's ringing in my head for you."

 

At that moment, Baekhyun raised his head, and Kyungsoo made eye contact with him. Giving Kyungsoo a playful smirk and a wink, Baekhyun directed his gaze back to the piano before him. Kyungsoo felt a prominent blush creep up his neck. Trying to fight the hot feeling from taking over, he downed more of his coke to cool himself down.

 

"My head's underwater, but I'm breathing fine.

You're crazy and I'm out of my mind.

'Cause all of me, loves all of you.

Love your curves and all your edges.

All your perfect imperfections.

Give your all to me, I'll give my all to you.

You're my end and my beginning.

Even when I lose I'm winning.

Cause I give you all of me.

And you give me all of you, oh

Give me all of you, oh oh."

 

"Did he tell you that he applied for Juilliard too?" Chanyeol asked.

 

Okay, now Kyungsoo was taken aback.

 

"What?" Kyungsoo asked, surprised.

 

"Cards on the table, we're both showing hearts.

Risking it all though it's hard."

 

As Baekhyun reaches the peak, his voice was solid and a vein strained against his neck. y, very y. ("No Kyungsoo, Baekhyun is not y. Not at all. Alright. All pianists are y. So Baekhyun is cheating." Kyungsoo scolded himself internally.)

 

"It's true," Chanyeol said. "He applied for Masters in Dramatic Arts and Plays. He has always wanted to be a musical star, but his parents did not approve of his choices in life. That's why he worked so hard all summer to save up enough to go to New York."

 

"Oh..."

 

"And you're his boyfriend and he didn't tell you about it?"

 

Kyungsoo's grip on his can of coke tightened. Red lights blared in his brain as Chanyeol's lip twisted upwards into a knowing smirk. He feels trapped suddenly.

 

"'Cause all of me, loves all of you.

Love your curves and all your edges.

All your perfect imperfections.

Give your all to me, I'll give my all to you.

You're my end and my beginning.

Even when I lose I'm winning.

Cause I give you all of me.

And you give me all of you."

 

Kyungsoo snapped his eyes away from Chanyeol's as he stared hard at Baekhyun who seemed to be very spiritually immersed into his music. He pretends to ignore Chanyeol as Baekhyun went into a soft falsetto.

 

"I give you all of me.

And you give me all, of you, oh oh oh.

 

The moment Baekhyun ended his last note, Kyungsoo stood up and clapped loudly, louder than anyone else in the room as Chanyeol eyed him, feeling amused.

 

"Enjoy the rest of your night with your boyfriend, Kyungsoo. I'll catch up with you later," Chanyeol said, walking away as Baekhyun stalks off the stage and walked towards Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo was still trying to compose himself as Baekhyun slid into the chair where Chanyeol was previously sitting at.

 

"Is everything alright?" Baekhyun asked, eyeing Kyungsoo with concerned eyes.

 

"Why didn't you tell me that you've also applied for Juilliard?" Kyungsoo asked.

 

Baekhyun shrugged. "They didn't reply my letter, so I assumed that I've got rejected. So, there’s really no point talking about it."

 

"But you could have appealed-"

 

Kyungsoo was cut off when Baekhyun shoved his own can of coke to Kyungsoo's lips. "Drink. It's party night, and I would prefer not to discuss gloomy stuffs," Baekhyun winked.

 

Kyungsoo blushed as he drank from Baekhyun's can. He was lucky that the lighting at parties is dark and chaotic enough to hide his blush. For once in his life, Kyungsoo was glad of the presence of entropy.

 

---

 

At 8:30PM, the beer keg was brought out and the whole club room transformed from a relaxing party with soft music to a loud and wild party; the type that Kyungsoo hates. There was booze everywhere. The stench of sweat from the dancers and alcohol mixed, creating an animalic and fecal odour that makes Kyungsoo wants to barf. And to make things worse, Baekhyun was nowhere to be found and Kyungsoo was all alone.

 

The two of them were just chilling by a side until a boy from their Musical Composition module (Kangwoo or whatever his name was, Kyungsoo couldn't remember.) came over and dragged Baekhyun to the middle of the room to do a beer stand, which Baekhyun did, and after that, Kyungsoo was all alone, sitting by the bar and sipping his coke.

 

And as Kyungsoo was trying to look out for signs of Baekhyun as he doesn't like being all alone in the party, Chanyeol slid into the seat beside Kyungsoo.

 

"Soo, can we talk?" Chanyeol asked.

 

"I can't, I'm waiting for Baekhyun," Kyungsoo said, hoping that Chanyeol would take the hint and walk away.

 

"Baekhyun is in one of the rooms at the back. I could bring you to him if you want. It's quieter there and he said he wants to rest for a while as the beer stand made his head hurt," Chanyeol said.

 

"Really? Alright then," Kyungsoo said, standing up to his feet. "Lead the way."

 

Chanyeol smirked before standing up. Leading Kyungsoo by the hand, not that Kyungsoo minded as it was really squeezy and he doesn't want to lose side of the taller, Chanyeol brought Kyungsoo through the crowd and they made their way to the quieter place at the back of the clubhouse, and into a room. As Chanyeol stepped in behind Kyungsoo, he closed and locked the door. Kyungsoo scanned the room and found that they were alone, and the room had bunch of instruments and a small bed by the corner.

 

"Where is Baekhyun?" Kyungsoo asked, gesturing the empty bed assuming that Baekhyun was previously resting there.

 

"Relax, Kyungsoo, I know how much you hated parties so I'm just letting you stay here till the party ends," Chanyeol said.

 

"But where is Baekhyun? If he isn't here then I- umph!"

 

Kyungsoo was cut off as Chanyeol suddenly leaned in and slid his lips on top of his. Kyungsoo resisted as he pushed Chanyeol away, but Chanyeol just came back and pushed him harshly against the wall and kissed him again. He held Kyungsoo's hand above his head as he nibbles and bit onto Kyungsoo's lips, tugging it harshly for access. Kyungsoo was shocked initially, but he recovered quickly enough to drive his knee to Chanyeol's groin, making the taller guy stumble backwards in pain.

 

"Ouch!"

 

"What the hell?!" Kyungsoo shouted as he puts his sleeve to his lips and wiped away all the excess saliva. "You have a boyfriend, and so do I!" He screeched.

 

"I must admit, you have become kinkier. Oh gosh I want you so bad," Chanyeol said as he reached out for Kyungsoo.

 

"Don't touch me!" Kyungsoo shrieked as he back hands Chanyeol's arm.

 

"Oh baby, please. I know you still love me," Chanyeol grinned as he reaches out once more.

 

"Don't you dare to ing touch me, Park-ssi," Kyungsoo glowered, slapping away Chanyeol's disgusting hands once more.

 

Chanyeol groaned as he hopped on his spot like a little kid. "Come on babe, I know you don't love Baekhyun. You're just dating him to spite me, right?"

 

As Kyungsoo did not reply, Chanyeol continued.

 

"You still love me, I can sense it. So why don't you come back and be mine already?"

 

" off," Kyungsoo bit out.

 

"Unless..." Chanyeol said, eyeing Kyungsoo. "You really likes Baekhyun?"

 

Kyungsoo rolled as eyes as he scoffed.

 

"Oh come on, let’s be real here! Baekhyun is just comfort food. Things that you go after when you are bored and stuff," Chanyeol said in an exasperated tone. "Come back to me, Soo. You know you still love me, and I, you. We are meant to be!"

 

"Stop being a douche, Chanyeol. We have made things clear between us. And aren't you already attached to Jongin?" Kyungsoo said.

 

"He is nothing like you. If you're afraid of other's talking behind our backs, I could break up with him for you. I love you. I know you want me back too-"

 

"Stop making decisions for me!" Kyungsoo screamed. "You were the one that left. And now you want to hurt someone else to get me back? You are really an !"

 

"But that kiss just now-"

 

"Was nothing!" Kyungsoo's voice escalated in volume. "You kissed me. Not the other way 'round. I have absolutely no interest in going after your lips. It was utterly horrifying and disgusting. I would rather kiss a frog than you!" Kyungsoo said. "Now I have to go. Good bye."

 

However, as Kyungsoo turns around to leave, a hand caught his wrist, tugging him back.

 

"Soo..."

 

"Let me go Chanyeol," Kyungsoo warned.

 

"Please listen-"

 

Kyungsoo turned around and connected his fist to Chanyeol's nose. A loud cracking sound suggested that Kyungsoo may or may not have broken the giant's nose (not that he cares) with his mean, brute strength. Chanyeol fell to the ground, nose bloodied, as he cursed.

 

"Touch me with your filthy hands again, and your nose won't be the only thing I break," Kyungsoo left the threat hanging in the air before leaving the room to look for Baekhyun.

 

---

 

What Kyungsoo did not realize was that the moment he made his way into the room with Chanyeol, a certain boy's heart sank and hit the ground. He ignored the numb feeling in his heart as he walked away from the door.

 

The said boy dragged himself away from the party on the floor and went to the bar at the side where he got hold of a bottle of vodka.

 

He definitely needs a load of alcohol tonight to drown the numbness inside of him.

 

---

 

"Sorry, excuse me, sorry."

 

Kyungsoo pushed his way roughly through the crowd. He had enough of the party and all he wants is to go home now. The skin slapping against each other, the bunch of wild people kissing each other shamelessly on the dance floor, Kyungsoo felt like barfing at the sight of these acts. He continues to push his way through while looking for Baekhyun, and then he found the other at the drink bar, downing shots after shots.

 

Kyungsoo made his way through to crowd to Baekhyun. When he reached him, the stench of alcohol from Baekhyun was enough to make him feel sick.

 

"Baekhyun, let's go," Kyungsoo said, shaking Baekhyun.

 

"Oh hey Kyungsoo," Baekhyun hiccupped as he flashed a drunken cheesy smile. "How's it going buddy? You want a drink?" He slurred as he tugged Kyungsoo down by the neck.

 

"No, I don't want to drink. I need to go, let's go off together," Kyungsoo said calmly.

 

"But I still haven't got enough driiiiiinks," Baekhyun whined.

 

"You are already drunk! Let's go!" Kyungsoo said, impatient as he pulled Baekhyun up from the seat. Hauling Baekhyun's arm over his shoulder, he carry-dragged Baekhyun out of the clubhouse and out into the streets.

 

Walking home with a drunken Baekhyun was a terrible experience. Drunken Baekhyun tends to be more expressive and more exaggerating in his actions. He was singing loudly to Girls' Generation's "Gee" as he tried to dance with one of his arm around Kyungsoo's shoulder. Kyungsoo almost wanted to knock Baekhyun out with a hit on his head/neck area so that Baekhyun would be quiet and not attract all the attention. After much difficulty, Kyungsoo managed to bring Baekhyun back to the guesthouse and into their room without having to wake the neighbors up.

 

Upon reaching the guesthouse, Baekhyun dashed into the room's toilet and vomited all over the toilet bowl. Kyungsoo slapped a palm on his eyes as he took in a deep breath before walking in to prop Baekhyun up, allowing him to puke in a much neater (well, puking is never neat, but Kyungsoo tried) way so that the toilet won't be dirtied. He pats Baekhyun's back as Baekhyun huffs, trying to catch his breath, only to have him puke another mouthful.

 

"Gosh, just what were you thinking? You know that you have a low tolerance for alcohol, and why must you still get so drunk?" Kyungsoo said as he wipes the corner of Baekhyun's mouth.

 

After a good ten minutes, Baekhyun stopped. Kyungsoo then took a towel and wiped the sides of Baekhyun's mouth, before giving him a glass of warm water to rinse his mouth. After Baekhyun was somewhat clean, Kyungsoo dragged him out and sits him on his bed, before picking out a few of Baekhyun's sleeping clothes from his cupboard. Unlike messy Baekhyun, the interior of his cupboard was actually neat, with his clothes folded by colours. Shrugging, Kyungsoo picked out a white t- and went back to Baekhyun. He manages to get Baekhyun out of his party-clothes and dress him for sleep. But considering that the pants were a huge problem, Kyungsoo only strip Baekhyun of his jeans and leave him wearing only his boxers.

 

"Kyungsoo..." Baekhyun groaned weakly as he lay on his bed.

 

"Yes?" Kyungsoo asked.

 

"Did you go back together with Chanyeol? Are you breaking up with me now?" Baekhyun asked eyes boring into Kyungsoo's. Kyungsoo wasn't sure if Baekhyun was sober or still drunk. But he found Baekhyun rather cute that way.

 

"Nah, I punched him. So..."

 

"Thank goodness," Baekhyun breathed out.

 

"Why- ohmygod Baekhyun what are you doing?! Stop it! You're drunk!"

 

Baekhyun had pulled Kyungsoo down, so that he was hugging him tightly. Kyungsoo blinks as he lay on top of Baekhyun. From close, he could see the lines on Baekhyun's eyes, lips and nose. Baekhyuns breath fanned across his cheek as Baekhyun gazes deep into him. Kyungsoo felt like he was drowning, but he has no idea where he was drowning in; the warmth, or in Baekhyun's eyes.

 

"Mine," Baekhyun breathed out. "You're mine." He closes the gap between them and kissed Kyungsoo squarely on the lips.

 

Kyungsoo's eyes widened as he opens his mouth to protest, but Baekhyun only used the opportunity to shove his tongue into Kyungsoo's cavern. Kyungsoo could feel Baekhyun's muscle exploring his inner walls. The kiss rendered all strength to leave Kyungsoo's limbs. It was different from the way Chanyeol kisses him. Baekhyun kisses him like he means it, and his lips felt soft and tender against his. He keened as he pushes himself away weakly, but Baekhyun only tightened his hold on him.

 

"I love you. Mine," Baekhyun said, once he broke the kiss. "Not Chanyeol's." He mumbled as he drifts off. Kyungsoo blushed deeply at the Baekhyun's words, but quickly panicked as he feels Baekhyun's breathe coming down to a series of soft snores.

 

"Hey," Kyungsoo called as he struggled in Baekhyun's hold. "Hey! Wake up! Don't sleep yet, let me go!" He struggled. But Baekhyun only sighed as he flipped the both of them over such that they were cuddling. Even in his sleep, Baekhyun somehow managed to keep his vice grip on Kyungsoo, as if he would never let him go.

 

"Aish, really?" Kyungsoo said, poking Baekhyun's cheek to stir him up. But soon, he stopped struggling. Baekhyun looked at peace, and he's smiling in his sleep; it makes Kyungsoo guilty if he were to wake the other up now.

 

Sighing and resigning to his date, Kyungsoo fell asleep in Baekhyun's embrace that night.

 

---

 

Baekhyun woke up.

 

The sunlight filtered through the shutters, and there was a pounding in his head. Baekhyun remembered drinking a lot, and snippets on how Kyungsoo managed to drag him back here. Then it was all a black out blur. He felt warm, very warm. He felt his arms aching, and looking down; he was met with a black ball of hair. Baekhyun was instantly awake.

 

There he was, Kyungsoo, lying in his arms as he slept. Kyungsoo's brows were smoothed, and his nose wrinkled, but he was extremely adorable in his sleep. Baekhyun felt his face getting hot, because Kyungsoo was so close to him at the moment. And how did they even end up this way? Baekhyun tried to remove his left arm, but Kyungsoo was lying on top of it, immobilizing him.

 

"K-kyungsoo," Baekhyun called softly. "Soo, wake up."

 

Kyungsoo stirred a little as he shifted on the bed. But Baekhyun still couldn't move.

 

"Kyungsoo?" Baekhyun called once more.

 

"What?" Kyungsoo mumbled sleepily. Then he suddenly opens his eyes and jolts up, awake. "Oh."

 

"Yeah. Sorry for- I mean-"

 

"It's okay," Kyungsoo said as he stretches awkwardly. "Wow, I can't believe we slept all the way till morning."

 

Suddenly, something struck Baekhyun. The fog in his head starts to clear as he suddenly remembers how he got back into the room and into the bed last night after getting drunk at the party and Kyungsoo hauled his through the cold streets and dressed him and.... He screwed up. He ing went and screwed up all that he has built with Kyungsoo. He faintly remembers pulling Kyungsoo down for a kiss. And not just any kiss; an intense make out session with the involvement of tongues. He couldn't remember if Kyungsoo kissed him back or it was just his imagination. Probably the latter, but...

 

"Erm... I better go and get a shower," Kyungsoo said, standing up quickly.

 

"Wait!" Baekhyun said, as Kyungsoo turned around and looked at him.

 

"What?" Kyungsoo asked as he gulps nervously.

 

"C-can I...ask you something?"

 

"What is it?"

 

Baekhyun stood up from his bed as he shifted shyly. Kyungsoo leans back a little, as Baekhyun suddenly seemed so big and towering over him, it scares Kyungsoo a lot.

 

"I-I- " Baekhyun tried to speak, but he could not formulate any words.

 

"If you have nothing to say then bye, I need to bathe," Kyungsoo said quickly as he turns around and walked over to his wardrobe.

 

But suddenly, he was turned around by Baekhyun harshly, and a pair of lips met his. Kyungsoo's eyes were wide as Baekhyun leans back and smiled shyly at him, but the smile was short lived as his head was soon thrown to a side by Kyungsoo's harsh slap. As Baekhyun turned back to look at Kyungsoo, he could see that the other was seething.

 

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Kyungsoo gritted his teeth.

 

"I-I- kissing you?"

 

"What?" Kyungsoo challenged.

 

"I love you," Baekhyun mumbled out, as Kyungsoo pretends not to hear, going back to picking out his outfit. "Don't ignore me!" Baekhyun growled as he gripped hard on Kyungsoo's arm.

 

"I ing love you!" Baekhyun shouted, frustrated as Kyungsoo keeps ignoring him. Kyungsoo stopped moving suddenly and glared at Baekhyun as he continued.

 

"I love you. For three ing years."

 

"No, stop," Kyungsoo started.

 

"You stop! I have loved you since freshman year and you don't even care!"

 

"Shut up Baekhyun. SHUT. UP!" Kyungsoo said, covering his ears. Baekhyun just walked over and pulled away Kyungsoo's hand and pushed him against the wall.

 

"I AM DONE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT! FOR THREE ING YEARS! I loved you! And now that I've finally got to tell you, I won't stop-"

 

A loud resounding slap echoed through the room as it stopped Baekhyun from speaking any further. Baekhyun was cut off by a harsh slap, so hard that his head got socked to his right from the force of it. Slowly, he turned and stared at Kyungsoo whose face was red with anger and a mixture of sadness and confusion were found in his eyes. His hand still outstretched. Baekhyun could see every crease, every freckle in Kyungsoo's skin. He was panting; they both were. Then, Baekhyun started laughing.

 

"It was all because of that walnut cupcake wasn't it?" Baekhyun chuckled. "Funny how such insignificant things could cause such differences between two people. If we had started off right, could we be for each other now?"

 

Kyungsoo did not answer as he pushed past Baekhyun and ran straight for the bathroom. Baekhyun followed after him but Kyungsoo managed to slam the door shut and locked it before Baekhyun could stop him. Angry and annoyed by Kyungsoo's repeated attempts to ignore him, Baekhyun banged on the door hard with both of his arms.

 

"Do you love me or not? Because it seemed like you do. You're so confusing! Stop leading me on!" Baekhyun screamed.

 

"I am not leading you on!" Kyungsoo screamed back from the other side of the door.

 

"Then do you love me back or not?" Baekhyun shouted, tears filling up.

 

"I-I don't know," Kyungsoo said softly as he walks into the shower, fully dressed. Turning it on, he let the water hit him as he stayed in like that for god knows how long. Kyungsoo just stayed there in the showers, hoping and praying for Baekhyun to leave.

 

It was awhile until Kyungsoo heard Baekhyun's frustrated groans as he kicked the bathroom door. About another half an hour later, the door to the apartment opens, and slams shut, before Kyungsoo was sure that Baekhyun finally left the room. Then Kyungsoo got out of the shower, dried himself, and fled from the guesthouse.