1/4

On Different Ends

 

 

The sun has come up and Kyungsoo is sitting by a window that is foggy by the breath of his own. Dressed in his signature black sweater and a loose track pants, he mindlessly gazed over the peaceful street beneath him as he took another sip from his black and bitter coffee.

 

It was yet another day, in their seemingly endless spring break. Kyungsoo sighed dreamily as he tried to enjoy the peace and serenity of the morning, while basking in the gentle rays of the sun. That morning was really calm, and the birds had begun to sing. Kyungsoo couldn't feel more in tune with himself than ever.

 

As the digital clock on his desk showed 8:03, he knew that he should get ready for his date. After all, the trip from Ilsan to Ehwa Station is a long one. Kyungsoo got up from his window settee and made his way down stairs to the kitchen and washed his mug. He walked back upstairs, and into the bathroom to brush his teeth; twice just to be sure that his breath smells fresh. He stood in front of his wardrobe, frowning as he picked out outfits after outfits trying to match his black clothes to his blue straight-cut jeans. After what seemed to be a millennium, he finally decides on yet another black sweater with a little hoodie. Spraying a few drops of his usual cologne, he got out of his house.

 

It's been too long since he last went on a date with his boyfriend, Chanyeol. Ever since spring break started, the giant male stopped texting him. For days and nights Kyungsoo longed for him, hoping to receive a message from him, asking him out for movies or arcades or even just to go to the mall and walk around. But no, nothing. Kyungsoo tries to blame it on the fact that both of them had to go home for spring break and not stay in the apartment near school which Chanyeol's parents got for him, and also the fact that they live too far apart; one hour bus ride and forty-five minutes train ride apart.

 

Toying with the silver waveform band on his ring finger, he hopped onto a taxi and smiled to the ahjusshi. He hoped that his daily allowance is enough for today, cab and all, but he couldn't risk taking the subway and end up being late for their date.

 

"Where to, lad?"

 

"Ehwa Station, please," Kyungsoo said.

 

It was going to be a good day; Kyungsoo was so sure of it.

 

---

 

Kyungsoo made his way through the golden plaque on the streets and into the Starbucks in the street between the subway and the Ehwa Women's University. Chanyeol had texted him to meet him there, and Kyungsoo's really excited as that was the place where Chanyeol had first presented a pair of waveform rings and asked him out.

 

"The waveform patterns are formed when I say 'Forever' and it means that I want to be together with you forever and ever."

 

Kyungsoo still smiles at the memory.

 

"A Grande Iced Americano, no sugar please, if you don't mind," Kyungsoo smiled at the barista, dropping a few notes on the cashier counter as he went over to the other end of the serving aisle to collect his drinks. That morning, the human traffic was pretty low, and the smell of coffee and pastry filled the air within the cafe.

 

Kyungsoo sat at their usual seat, which is a love seat in the most corner of the cafe. He took a sip of his bitter coffee and looked at his black wrist watch. It showed 10:48AM. He was early. He took out his phone and logged onto Naver to read the morning news as he continues drinking his coffee, enjoying some "me" time before his noisy boyfriend arrives.

 

It wasn't long before somebody else slumps down onto the chair opposite of his.

 

"You're late," Kyungsoo commented as he looked at his watch. 11:03AM. They were supposed to meet at 11.

 

"Well, yeah, sorry about that, Mr OCD," a scratchy voice replied. Kyungsoo looked up and sees a familiar face, but not Chanyeol's. It was Jongdae. His best friend. (Scratch that, Jongdae was his only friend.) Kyungsoo did not have a large social circle; he likes to focus his love towards the ones that are close to him, and not waste it on others that doesn't matters.

 

"Hey Jongdae, what's up? I didn't know you're coming here today," Kyungsoo smiled wirily as he looked at the entrance, scanning for his taller boyfriend who doesn't seems to be in sight.

 

Jongdae frowned, "What do you mean you didn't know I was coming here today? Didn't Chanyeol tell you?"

 

"Tell me what?" Kyungsoo asked, confused.

 

"Well, he told me to meet you here at 11AM to pass you this," Jongdae said, voice unsure, as he handed a Manila envelope over to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo frowned as he took over the envelope with both of his hands.

 

"When did he...ask you?" Kyungsoo asked, nervous yet excited, not knowing what the envelope holds.

 

"Last week, on his family yacht," Jongdae said.

 

Kyungsoo swallowed. "On his family yacht?"

 

"Yeah, he threw a hell out of a party," Jongdae said, "for the music fraternity club members of course."

 

Chanyeol. Threw a party. On his family yacht. With the members from his club. Without him.

 

"Well, Chanyeol said he didn't invite you because he knew how much you've hated parties," Jongdae answered Kyungsoos unasked questions.

 

Well, Chanyeol could still have asked.

 

"So...is this like some sort of apology letter that he's too chicken to give it to me himself?" Kyungsoo said softly as he ran his thumb over the seal with a huge insignia of "Park" in Korean printed on it.

 

"I don't know man. I was just the messenger," Jongdae shrugged. "Why don't you open it and find out?"

 

With shaky hands, Kyungsoo slowly tore the seal apart and took out the letter. It wasn't handwritten, the letter was printed with the font Times New Roman, and it was all black and white. On it, reads.

 

Dear Kyungsoo,

 

I want to start this letter off by saying that I think you’re really sweet, and that’s why I’m writing this to you and not telling you in person. You’ve been a great boyfriend to me for the past three years; I've never regretted asking you out for our high school prom. I loved you, but some things have changed in the last couple of months, and I can’t ignore them anymore.

 

When we first started dating, I thought everything was going really well. We had a lot in common and shared many of the same interests. But lately, since I’ve gotten more involved with the fraternity club, I’ve realized how incompatible we are. I am spontaneous, and you're not; not even in the slightest. You like your outings well planned, but I prefer to do things on the spot. I knew you were uncomfortable with people, but you weren’t even friendly with my buddies, and you didn’t even make an effort to get to know them or talk to them. I’ve tried to invite you out with us many times so you could see how great they all are, but you won’t even come. It’s like you want me all to yourself all the time, and I’m not like that. I like to go out with friends and be social, and I’ve realized that you don’t.

 

I also have to be honest. Since hanging out with these friends, I’ve realized that my feelings have started growing for one of them. I tried to deny it and tried to make things work with you, but the more I tried, the more I realized we just aren’t right for each other. The last thing I would want to do is to hurt you by cheating on you or lying to you. Nothing has happened between me and this other person, but I’m worried that if things continue, my feelings will continue to get stronger for him and I’ll start resenting our relationship. I don’t want that; because I think you can make someone else really happy. You should find someone who is as un-spontaneous as you, and be with someone who enjoys doing the things you like to do and who can appreciate you for who you are.

 

I’m sorry I can’t bring myself to tell you this in person, but I know that you understand, and I know you must be feeling the same way about us. I wish you the best of luck!

 

Best regards,

Chanyeol

 

Kyungsoo's entire body shook as he put a hand on his mouth. Tears formed at the corner of his eyes as it slowly dripped down onto the letter. Slowly, the piece of paper fell onto the tabletop.

 

"What is it that made you so touched?" Jongdae chuckled as he picked up the letter and read it. The moment he saw those words in harsh black and white, his smile froze and covered his opened mouth. "Oh my god."

 

Kyungsoo puts his face in both his hands as he cried freely. "Is this some kind of sick joke? I'm not spontaneous enough? What the hell does that even mean?!"

 

"Well, I guess that he's referring to the fact that you wear black all the time as if you're waiting for someone to die so you could attend their impromptu funerals?" Jongdae said, totally not helping the situation at all.

 

Kyungsoo sighed, "We've been together for three ing years, and he couldn't have thought of a nicer way to tell me? And he knew that I must be feeling the same thing about us? Who died and made him King so that he could make this decision for me?"

 

"Hey Kyungsoo, calm d-"

 

"I won't calm down!" Kyungsoo shouted as he stood up from the chair. The whole cafe got their eyes on the pair, but Kyungsoo doesn't really care. "I will go find him now and get an explanation for this!"

 

"Kyungsoo, wait-"

 

The younger already stomped out of the cafe.

 

---

 

The Park household was about forty-five minute’s journey away.

 

As Kyungsoo reaches the Park's residence, he banged the gates, which were immediately opened by the remote controls from the guard house. He dashed in, and made his way through the front lawn and straight up to the huge double doors which opens with ease. Behind the door, there stood Park Yura, Chanyeol's sister.

 

"Hey Kyungsoo, what brings you here?" Yura asked, and if Kyungsoo wasn't mistaken, there was a hint of nervousness behind her voice.

 

"Where is he?" Kyungsoo asked, ignoring the previously unanswered question.

 

"Chanyeol?" Yura faked. "Wasn't he with you- hey come back here!"

 

Kyungsoo had ignored the lady as he began sprinting towards the stairs. He didn't need her directions, for he had been climbing these stairs and making his way to the giant's room since the taller brought him here the first time. He scorned the woman's protests as he knocked on the piece of pathetic mahogany that separates the room from outside. And before long, he heard the shuffling of Chanyeol's clumsy feet behind the door, and then it opened.

 

"What is it? Didn't I already tell you I have company?" Chanyeol grunted displeasingly as he opened door, only to be shocked by the one standing behind it. "K-kyungsoo..."

 

"Who is that? Ugh, baby I'm cold, come back here."

 

Kyungsoo froze as he heard a silky voice called out behind the giant. That was when he noticed that Chanyeol wasn't wearing any clothes on the top half of his body, while his bottom was only covered by a pair of sweat pants that doesn't even looked like his size. He looked past Chanyeol and saw a blonde laying there on Chanyeol's bed with his eyes closed. Kyungsoo let out a choked laugh.

 

"The last thing I would want to do is to hurt you by cheating on you or lying to you. Nothing has happened between me and this other person, but I’m worried that if things continue, my feelings will continue to get stronger for him and I’ll start resenting our relationship," Kyungsoo said, reciting from Chanyeol's break-up letter for him. "Your words, Park-sshi."

 

"Wait Kyungsoo-"

 

"And 'Forever'?" Kyungsoo's voice trembled as he plucked out the waveform ring from his ring finger. "Bull . I don't want it anymore. You can keep it." He threw the ring in Chanyeol's face, which the taller just stood there and let it hit him hard before it falls to the ground. "And don't worry, I will move out of our apartment before spring break ends."

 

"Soo... I'm sorry..."

 

"I don't want to hear it! And a typed letter? Wow!" Kyungsoo chuckled once more. "You can go yourself."

 

With much of flair, Kyungsoo ran out of the building.

 

---

 

"Are you sure you're okay?"

 

"Yes, I'm perfectly fine," Kyungsoo said into the speaker of his phone.

 

"Are you sure? I am your best friend Soo, you can talk to me. You know that right?"

 

"Yes Jong, now stop bugging me," Kyungsoo huffed into the receiver.

 

"What are you doing now?"

 

"Scouting for a guesthouse near the university, what else? My house is too far away from school and you can't expect me to keep living in the Park's apartment. That was just a courtesy that was being extended to me when I was dating the jerk. I doubt that the courtesy extends to the point of post-break-ups," Kyungsoo said, rolling his eyes irritably, as he continued scrolling through the list of guest houses near Hongdae.

 

"Okay? So what are you doing after?"

 

"I'm going to that place and pack my stuffs. Also I will be going there to trash that place."

 

"Hell hath no fury like a broken-hearted gay man scorns huh? I'm glad I'm straight."

 

"So you're gonna help me pack or not?"

 

"If that includes me trashing the place with you, then it would be an honor. Bastard used me to hurt you. How dare him. I must revenge."

 

"Great, see you in an hour."

 

Click.

 

Kyungsoo eyes a guesthouse on the list. Near subway, five minutes bus ride, tons of food stalls nearby, and has a Dunkin' Donut store at the basement of the building. Perfecto. He clicks on the link and looked for the contacts of the owner of the place. Now, Kyungsoo just has to call the owner, fill in the applications and whatnot and voila! By the end of spring break, it would be move-in day.

 

---

 

"Are you sure this is a good idea?"

 

Kyungsoo asked as he placed the last of his luggages into Jongdae's car boot. Jongdae only chuckles as he pulled out some flour, eggs, milk, and spray paints from his duffle bag.

 

"You're not having second thoughts are you?" Jongdae asked as he examined the scout's knife he produced from his pocket.

 

Kyungsoo gulped as Jongdae tossed a couple of spray cans over to him, which he caught just in time. "N-no, just that trashing a luxurious apartment where I once live feels...rather weird. Seeing that the place sort of belongs to me too... And what the hell do we need the knife for?"

 

"It's for his darling drums," Jongdae winked. He then puts his hands on Kyungsoo's shoulders and squeezed. "Come on sugar, it ain't your place anymore. And that bastard broke your heart! I guess breaking a few of his furniture couldn't be that bad?"

 

"Well, the glass case in the living room costs like billions of won? And his drum set worth even more that my mom and dad makes in three months. So yeah, it actually is kind of bad," Kyungsoo said.

 

"Oh his parents are loaded, don't worry. I bet that his mommy will buy him a new set. So now, are we doing this or not?" Jongdae asked.

 

"...this isn't illegal is it?"

 

"Well it could be."

 

"So...why are you doing this with me?"

 

"Best friends never ever let their bros do stupid things alone, remember?"

 

"Right."

 

"I love you, Kyungsoo, you should know that I'll do anything for you."

 

"I love you too Jongdae. I'm glad you're here."

 

"Alright, no homo."

 

---

 

"I feel bad," Jongdae groaned as they walked across the mall.

 

"He had it coming," Kyungsoo shrugged. "And you were the one that slashed his drum sets and destroyed his carpet, so no judging."

 

"How awful of you to say that? You're the one that let me tag along," Jongdae said.

 

"Oh shut up! Anyway, we're here for retail therapy, so no ex-boyfriend talks," Kyungsoo said.

 

"Speaks for you only honey, I have a girlfriend," Jongdae rolled his eyes. "And since when did you like shopping?"

 

"Fine! No ex-boyfriend slashes girlfriend talk? Okay?" Kyungsoo exclaimed irritably. "And I want gelato."

 

"Okay. Let's go get some then. I'm in need for some sweet stuff too," Jongdae said.

 

The pair made their way through the mall and went into a Gelato joint in a small corner beside Baskin Robbins ("Why no BR?! I love the ice-cream!" Jongdae cried out. "It is fattening! Gelato is healthier. It is lower in fat and milk content duh! And I don't want to be FAT and SINGLE. That is a bad combination." Kyungsoo explained.) The two best friends bickered all the way, until it was their turn to order their gelato.

 

"-you're not listening Jongdae. I swear that gelato is health-"

 

"Hey hobbit, hey Jongdae," an annoying voice said. A vein in Kyungsoo's brow popped out at the voice; that horrid, annoying, nasal, and annoying, did Kyungsoo already say annoying? Well, it's annoying and annoying and annoying, the most annoying ever, voice that Kyungsoo never ever wanted to hear.

 

"Hey Baekhyun!" Jongdae chirped, side glancing Kyungsoo, nervousness and mischief dancing in his eyes.

 

"I am not a hobbit," Kyungsoo muttered.

 

"Don't pout, you're not cute," Baekhyun smiled. "What can I get the both of you?"

 

"He works here?" Kyungsoo turned to Jongdae, surprised.

 

"I don't know man, why don't you ask him?" Jongdae replied.

 

"Hello, I am here you know? And yes, I work here," Baekhyun said. "So now what do you wanna get? Maybe some hazelnut gelato? Hmm, Kyungsoo?"

 

Kyungsoo looked horrified. "Oh my god, he is trying to murder me! For a second time because he failed the first!"

 

"Oh right, nut allergy. That's a , or I would have recommended you our bestselling Roché flavoured gelato. Perhaps you can go for the Reeze's Peanut-Buttercup gelato. Or you could try our flavour of the month," Baekhyun winked, "Pistachio."

 

"He is seriously trying to murder me again! Jongdae, hurry call the police!" Kyungsoo exclaimed dramatically.

 

"If you take the Pistachio, I could give you free toppings out of the graciousness of my heart. What about walnuts for your toppings? It's a premium topping which costs 2000won more than the others, but I could give it to you for free. I heard that they are your favourite," Baekhyun grinned.

 

"You better shut up about walnut. You poisoned me! In freshman year! And I was in the ICU for three days! I almost died! And I missed two weeks of lesson straight right after orientation which almost caused me to lose my scholarship you er!" Kyungsoo shouted.

 

"How the hell would I know that you'll take my walnut cupcake with hazelnut icing? That single cupcake costs 7000won okay? You're already lucky that I didn't charge you for that."

 

"You're the one that placed it on my table you prick! And how would I know it's a walnut cupcake?!"

 

"Well, I mistook your table for mine then."

 

"Douchebag!"

 

"You're very much welcome, hobbit."

 

"Okay guys-"

 

"I hate you!" Kyungsoo screamed.

 

"Aww honey, I love you too," Baekhyun cooed.

 

"Guys stop!" Jongdae shouted, pulling Kyungsoo out of the shop. "Let's go for frozen yogurt okay? It's even healthier than gelato, and I would also like to have some peace."

 

"What the hell are you doing?! I wasn't done with him yet!" Kyungsoo shouted.

 

"Yeah hobbit, come back here! We're not quite done with that walnut yet!" Baekhyun laughed behind him.

 

Oh boy, these two are just too much for Jongdae to handle.

 

---

 

Three days before the start of the new semester.

 

Earlier that day he had asked Jongdae for help. But the latter was busy, and thus here he is, alone, moving into a place where he would call home for the next six months.

 

("Hey bro, are you gonna help me move?"

 

"Nah bro, got a date with bae. All the best!"

 

"Cheh, so much for bros before hoes."

 

"I love you too, now goodbye~")

 

He could have just hailed a cab, but he's just a broke college student who doesn't wants to impose on his overly-doting parents. So subway way it is. The guesthouse is just five minutes’ walk away from the subway, so Kyungsoo thought that it would be perfectly fine.

 

But he was wrong.

 

Kyungsoo cursed and huffed as he lugged his luggages behind him. He adjusted the straps of his instrument case which is holding his heavy cello, as he clambered through the crowded subway and up a flight of stairs, into a building where he took the lift to the third floor. He was panting by the time he reached the door, and before he even knocked, it opened.

 

"Hello there young man," an ahjummah smiled at him. "And you are?"

 

"D-Do Kyungsoo, Mam." Kyungsoo blinked nervously as he tried to calm his erratic breathing. "I've applied for a room for a semester under your guesthouse list..." He trailed off.

 

"Ah, yes, yes, Mr Do, nice to meet you," the old lady smiled serenely. "Do you need help with your baggage?"

 

"Oh, n-no it's alright," Kyungsoo stammered, feeling shy suddenly. He wasn't used to talking to strangers, so the ahjummah sort of scares him a little.

 

"No it's not. And you looked tired. You can leave your baggage here. I'll just ask my grandson to bring it up to your room for you later," the old ahjummah smiled. "Come on in." She says.

 

"Thank you," Kyungsoo returned the pleasant lady a signature heart shaped smile of his own. Taking off his shoe, he entered the small room. The room has a rustic floral-woody scent of lavender, and the furniture was all made of wood. Through the front door, there is a small stove, a few pots and some utensils, and behind it, there's a small shelf filled with travel brochures and maps around Seoul.

 

"Here, have a cup of tea while my grandson prepares your room for you," the old lady said as she handed Kyungsoo a steaming mug. "My grandson is friends with your roommate, and your room mate is rather...disorganized. So he wanted to make sure that the room is neat before you move in."

 

"T-thank you," Kyungsoo bowed politely, for the tea as well as for the hospitality. It was chamomile, and it smells fresh and warm, just like the spring. He knew that he was going to have a roommate as he had applied for a cheaper room. Not that he minded, because he was sure that he would be spending most of his time in the studio working on his final year project. He would only be back in his room when he needs to sleep. So he won't have to interact with the roommate a lot.

 

"You're moving in earlier than other students," the lady commented, "most of them only moves in on Sunday." She shuffles back into the stove area, where there was a fridge which Kyungsoo missed out earlier.

 

"Yeah, I figure that I get use to this place first before school starts," Kyungsoo said as he slowly walked and took a seat on the coffee table.

 

"Where are you from?" The lady asked.

 

"I'm from Ilsan," Kyungsoo replied.

 

"Ilsan is far from here. Cake? It's spiced carrot with cream cheese frosting," the lady offered. "I've made it yesterday."

 

"N-no thank you-"

 

"Don't be shy!" She placed a plate in front of Kyungsoo. "You're like a bag of bones. Eat up!"

 

The lady smiled once more as Kyungsoo bowed again, taking the cake from the lady's weathered hands. "Why did you only move in on your last semester of study?"

 

"Well..." Kyungsoo trailed off. "I...uh..."

 

"It's okay if you don't want to talk about it," she chuckled. "An old lady tends to ask too many questions. It's just that there haven’t been many people who are as willing to chat with an old lady like me."

 

"It's nothing actually," Kyungsoo smiled shyly.

 

"Your tea must be getting cold. Drink up! My grandson is coming down soon. So you'll have to move up soon," the old lady said, and just then, a young man opened the door.

 

"Halmoni, the room is ready," the man said as he entered.

 

"Minseok, come," the old lady gestured. "Meet Kyungsoo, our tenant."

 

"Hey Kyungsoo-sshi," the young man, Minseok, smiled.

 

"Hello," Kyungsoo bowed.

 

"Do you mind showing our guest to his room?" The lady asked.

 

"Sure," he said, turning to Kyungsoo. "Do you have any luggage?" Minseok asked.

 

---

 

"Room 618...and here we are!" Minseok announced as he sets Kyungsoo's luggages down. "For a small guy, your bag is sure heavy. How did you even get here by the subway?"

 

"I could've carried my own luggage, Minseok-sshi," Kyungsoo said shyly as he readjusted the the cello that was in his arms.

 

Minseok turned around and flashed him a bright smile. "I was just kidding. It's my pleasure. Strange how such a small guy like you could carry all these by yourself. You call me hyung would do."

 

"O-okay," Kyungsoo said. "Thank you so much for everything." He bows once more.

 

"Stop bowing or I will have to instil a metal pole against your back," Minseok teased.

 

"Okay," Kyungsoo couldn't help but bowed once more. Typing in the code, Minseok opens the door.

 

"The pass code to the room is 506. See you for dinner tonight? Grans wants to bring us out to eat as your room mate is also moving in today. You could meet him then," Minseok said.

 

"Okay," Kyungsoo said, slipping off his shoes upon entering the room.

 

"See you tonight!" Minseok grinned, and left after shifting all of Kyungsoo's luggages into the room.

 

---

 

"Who is this guy," Kyungsoo wondered out loud as he ventured into the room.

 

The room was considered big as compared to Jongdae's room in the guesthouse somewhere in Ehwa which he shares with his older girlfriend. The right side of the room was bare. The walls were plain white, and it was literally empty except for an empty study desk and a queen size bed which looks extremely fluffy and inviting. The other side of the room, however, looks totally different.

 

The bed was in a mess, and Kyungsoo swore he could see rubbish sticking out from underneath the sheets. The desk was messy with stationary scrawled all over it and textbooks piled up high with a layer of obscene dust over it. Kyungsoo scoffed and dropped his suitcase on the right side of the room near the foot of the bed. He couldn't believe it; his roommate was an untidy .

 

Kyungsoo blew his bangs out of his eyes. His inner OCD beast was crawling and snapping around inside him, demanding him to sterilize this pig sty that instant. Time to work.

 

Kyungsoo took out a pair of rubber gloves he brought with him and put them on. Then, he started with the rubbish underneath his roommate's bed. There were like a whole junk yard there! Instant coffee packs, empty red bull cans, finished sandwich bag, half eaten and rotten tuna cans, you name it you have it.

 

By the time Kyungsoo finishes with clearing the rubbish, he was so sure that the microbes had already contaminated his gloves. So he took them off, and pull out yet another glove to clean. He used a cleansing wipe he had packed and started swiping away all the dust off the books on his roommate’s table, and cleaned the out of it.

 

"He's a fellow music major" Kyungsoo realized as he sees the textbooks on his roommate's table.

 

Shrugging, he went into the toilet and got a towel and a pail of soapy water and scrubbed the hell out of the floorboard even though it looks clean because Minseok-hyung obviously had cleaned it before he move in. But hell, Mr Do ain't no sleeping with dust and bacteria y'all, so more scrubbing it is. After scrubbing everything thrice, Kyungsoo threw away his gloves and the bag of trash, out into the corridor because that's where Minseok told him the cleaners would collect the rubbishes. He walks back into the room with a triumph smile, finally satisfied with the level of cleanliness of the room. He pats himself on the back at his roommate's clean table and bed.

 

Jumping into the toilet, he quickly stripped off his clothes and took a long shower where he scrubbed and sterilize and exfoliated his body twice to ensure all dirt is out of his system.

 

As Kyungsoo steps out of the bathroom feeling more refreshed, he took in the sight of the room. It certainly needs some getting used to. Sighing with the tiniest bit of regret, Kyungsoo started unpacking.

 

---

 

Kyungsoo was just polishing his instrument when the door to his room opens. He immediately stood up from where he was trying to adjust the instrument's stand and bowed.

 

"H-hello, my name is Do Kyungsoo, and I'm from Hongik University, final year music major, nice to meet you," Kyungsoo stammered out in a rush, through the lines he had practiced over and over again. He kept his head bowed as he was too shy to meet the gaze of the other person. He heard a gasp, and became even more nervous. Had the person not want any roommate?

 

"H-hello, my name is Do Kyungsoo and I'm from Hongik University, final year music major, nice to meet you. I know all about you, hobbit. So stop acting so shy already."

 

Kyungsoo's eyebrow quirked. No. It cannot be. He straightens his back, and sure enough, there stood the annoyingly annoying Byun Baekhyun with an amused expression. Baekhyun eyed Kyungsoo with a slight smirk as if he was holding back his laughter.

 

"Y-you! What the hell?! What are you doing here?!" Kyungsoo said shock.

 

"Y-you! What the hell?! What are you doing here?!" Baekhyun mimicked. "This is my room, hobbit. I'm moving in. Geez, when I heard someone called 'Do-sshi' is moving in, I should have known it's you. Seeing how you got kicked out by Chanyeol after the end of your... Romance."

 

"Y-your room?!"

 

"Y-your room?!" Baekhyun imitated once more with absolute perfection as he stepped into the room and set his duffle bag down on the floor. Folding his arms, he turned around and faces Kyungsoo. "No Sherlock."

 

"Stop mimicking me!" Kyungsoo huffed out in frustration. "And for a record, he did not kick me out! I left on my own!"

 

"Yeah, without first destroying his nest, which by the way, was already restored back to its original status," Baekhyun shrugged. Kyungsoo felt guilty suddenly.

 

"I-is he okay?" Kyungsoo asked quietly.

 

"Well, he cried over his drum set. And the next day his mother got one imported from Germany for him already," Baekhyun said.

 

"Well, it's expected. Mother's boy," Kyungsoo rolled his eyes.

 

"I agree," Baekhyun nodded. "By the way, how's Juilliard?"

 

"What?" Kyungsoo replied, confused by the sudden change of topic.

 

"Y'know, Professor Kim kept saying you're the prodigy of our batch who applied for the Juilliard. I heard that he even wrote your résumé for you. So how did it go?" Baekhyun asked. And it totally threw Kyungsoo off guard.

 

"It really is none of your business," Kyungsoo said, gritting his teeth. He had mailed the resume before spring break, and he has yet to hear from the school yet.

 

Baekhyun shrugged. "Just wanted to change topics because I really wasn't in the mood to talk about your ex-boyfriend. Oh well. Seeing the way you curled up just from me asking, I must assume that your pathetic résumé haven't even got pass the prelimary stages."

 

Kyungsoo took in a deep breath and ignored Baekhyun's comment.

 

Being roommates with Baekhyun is going to be hell.

 

---

 

Later that evening, the ahjummah brought the boys out to a nearby restaurant, Saemal, to have dinner. Kyungsoo was reluctant, but he still went when Minseok insisted him to join them for dinner.

 

("Saemal provides the best barbecued pork skin in town," Minseok winked as Kyungsoo salivates.)

 

And then, there they are. Four people sitting in a table for four, with a barbecue heat plate in front of them. Kyungsoo was trying to put as much distance between him and Baekhyun, which seemed impossible seeing that the latter is sitting beside him and constantly invading his personal space with his exaggerated actions as he speaks.

 

"So Baekhyun-ah, where did you go for spring break?" Minseok asked as he flipped the pork on the barbecue.

 

Baekhyun shrugged. "I went to Hiroshima in Japan for a week to catch Girls' Generation's Japan Tour. Then I went to Tokyo Disneyland for three days. Then for the rest of the break I've took on a holiday job."

 

"Your parents? They weren't home again were they?" Minseok asked.

 

"They were busy. My brother and my dad had a huge case on their hands, and my mother was busy grading her student's final year report," Baekhyun stole a piece of pork off the barbecue and stuffed it into his mouth, flushing it down with a shot of soju the granny poured for him.

 

"What about you, Kyungsoo? What did you do for your break?" Minseok suddenly asked, placing three pieces of pork meat onto Kyungsoo's plate. Kyungsoo blinked.

 

"I-I..."

 

"Minseok-ah, you shouldn't ask Kyungsoo-sshi so many questions," the granny interjected.

 

"But gran-gran, I wanna know more about Kyungsoo," Minseok pouted.

 

"Oh, I can tell you all about Kyungie," Baekhyun grinned, showing remnants of flesh from the pork he ate, between his teeth. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes, disgusted by the other.

 

"You guys knew each other?" Minseok asked.

 

"We're both Music Majors; of course we know each other. Don't we? Kyungie," Baekhyun nudged Kyungsoo who just picked up a piece of meat and began eating.

 

"So you guys were friends-"

 

"Acquaintance," Kyungsoo cuts Minseok off quickly. "I wouldn't say that we know each other well enough to be friends."

 

"But that could change," Baekhyun slid an arm around Kyungsoo's shoulder. "Wouldn't it?" Kyungsoo swallowed back a scoff as he shrugged off the other's incessant arm.

 

"I'm sure you guys would be great friends," the granny smiled serenely. "Anyone up for more soju?"

 

"Me!" Baekhyun grinned as he held out his empty shot glass.

 

Kyungsoo sighed. "First things first; I will not be responsible for you if you ever get faced-drunk. Which I probably know you would." The granny and Minseok laughed loudly whereas Baekhyun turned and looked at Kyungsoo in the eye.

 

Baekhyun breaks out into his ty signature attempt-to-piss-off-Kyungsoo smirk.

 

"And you still say we don't know each other well enough to be friends."

 

---

 

In the end Baekhyun still got drunk and Kyungsoo had to carry the annoying dude back to their room where he just dump him into his rubbish bed and went to sleep.

 

So you could say, Kyungsoo does know Baekhyun well enough.

 

He just doesn't admit it.

 

---

 

"I swear to god, he is annoying," Kyungsoo rolled his eyes as he speaks into his phone.

 

"Well, what can I say? You guys are fated for each other. Hah!" Jongdae laughed.

 

"Shut up! Ugh! I can't stand him. Wanna hang later?" Kyungsoo asked.

 

"Hmmm sure. I'm going out with Liyin-noona later though- hold on a second," Jongdae runs off away from his phone. In the background, Kyungsoo could hear Jongdae talking to a girl. ("Noona, do you wanna meet Kyungsoo later? Can he come? He wants to escape from his roommate. He could? Thank you! I love you~!")

 

"Hello Soo? You could join us later!" Jongdae squealed. "It's the first time you're gonna meet Liyin noona right? Aren't you excited?"

 

"I am thrilled," Kyungsoo says in a bored voice. "Where are we meeting?"

 

"Myeongdong! We are going to shop around and maybe go up Namsan Tower in the evening," Jongdae said.

 

"Alright then, see you later," Kyungsoo said and clicked his phone shut.

 

---

 

"You're heading out?"

 

Kyungsoo turned at the voice while he was putting on his shoes. The clock shows 14:37, and Baekhyun was finally awake. No doubt, with a hangover. Kyungsoo ignored the other as he stood up and brush his hair with his fingers.

 

"Are you ignoring me? Oh god I hate hangovers," Baekhyun groaned weakly.

 

"I'm not ignoring you," Kyungsoo said. "I just have no time to deal with people who doesn't really matter in my life."

 

"Ouch," Baekhyun winced. "Well, you could at least answer the question that was asked. It's basic courtesy."

 

Kyungsoo sighed. "Yes, I'm going out."

 

"With?"

 

"..."

 

"Jongdae?"

 

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes.

 

"Why must you be such a dull person?" Baekhyun huffed as he sat up from his bed. "All you ever did was hanging around Jongdae or Chanyeol -in the past- but can't you make new friends? Such as-" Baekhyun stops short. And it's not like Kyungsoo cared about what the other was about to say anyway.

 

"I don't make new friends as and when I please," Kyungsoo said, putting on his watch. "I only make new friends when I deem the person worthy."

 

"You're lame," Baekhyun said.

 

"What?"

 

"You're lame and monochromatic," Baekhyun said again. "You speak monotonously; you act monotonously, and hell. Even your clothes are monochromatic. I bet you've never wore anything else other than black."

 

"My jeans aren’t black. And why do you care so much over what I wear anyway?" Kyungsoo clenched his fist tightly, borderline anger. "What I wear or do has nothing to do with you. Why do you even care so much about me? We are not friends."

 

"I didn't mean to upset you. It's just that why can't you just-"

 

"This conversation is over."

 

Kyungsoo slammed the door shut, leaving Baekhyun all alone in silence.

 

---

 

"There you are! Thanks for coming!" Jongdae grinned as he pulled Kyungsoo into a friendly hug.

 

"And you're two minutes late," Kyungsoo grumbled, which went unheard.

 

"This is Liyin-noona, and noona, this is Kyungsoo. My best friend," Jongdae introduced. Behind him, a mature looking girl smiled demurely at Kyungsoo. They shook hands and exchanged greetings.

 

From what Kyungsoo gathered, Liyin was the exact opposite from Jongdae. Jongdae is loud, obnoxious, childish, and quite the prankster. On the other hand, Liyin is gentle, warm, quiet, and mature. It kind of reminds Kyungsoo of the days he had with Chanyeol. Two opposites which ultimately repelled away despite all sickening law of physics where opposite attracts.

 

Kyungsoo was quickly snapped out of his reverie as Jongdae started walking away with Liyin while holding hands. He scrambled after them and strutted behind them shyly as the sidewalk is only wide enough for two people at a time.

 

They went to a restaurant for lunch where they sat on a square table, with Kyungsoo sitting at the side while the two of them faces each other, feeding each other food and stuff, with Jongdae cracking off lame jokes and Liyin giggling cutely. Kyungsoo just ate in silence, even when the couple's legs occasionally kicked his while they were in their obsessed game of footsies.

 

Next, they went to the arcade. The. Freaking. Arcade. For someone who loves quiet, it was a torture for Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo just stood by and watched as Jongdae made some scores through the hoops and then Liyin going up and kissed him on the cheek. He took in a deep breath but said nothing about his friend's obscene public displays of affection.

 

After the arcade, Jongdae brought the both of them to a dessert cafe where they prepared to have some desserts. It was the second last stop of the day's trip, and after the cafe it would be the Namsan Tower. Kyungsoo had to excuse himself to go to the washroom as Jongdae proceeds to kiss off the buttercream by Liyin's lips. It wasn't like he was jealous of their love or anything; but he just doesn't want to feel...alternative.

 

It was like a normal date; and Kyungsoo was just like an audience, watching Jongdae and Liyin's lovestory unfolding before him. But as Kyungsoo was walking back to the table to join the two lovebirds that had their back towards him, he overheard their conversation.

 

"I feel sorry for him though. It was as if he became our third-wheel. Like he was left out, and I didn't mean for it to happen. I know that he is your best friend, but it feels...weird," Liyin was saying.

 

Kyungsoo clenches and unclenched his fist as he returned to the table. Both Jongdae and Liyin were shocked as they didn't hear him coming.

 

"I- I have to go. I forgot that I need to do something," Kyungsoo said in a rush before running out of the cafe.

 

"Kyungsoo wait!"

 

That's all that Kyungsoo ever heard from Jongdae from the rest of the evening.

 

He just ran away as fast as he could.

 

And he wasn't even sure if Jongdae had cared enough to come after him.

 

---

 

He ran, tears falling seamlessly, never ending. When will all these tears stop falling? Kyungsoo doesn't know. There was just too much darkness; too much sadness in his life. It was as if he is living in black and white, colourless, monochromatic just as Baekhyun made him out to be.

 

Kyungsoo had no idea how long he had run; or how far away he had gone. There is only one thing left on his mind; put as much distance between him and Jongdae as possible. He remembered hopping onto a subway train from Myeongdong, and got off at Sinchon before running again. He wasn't sure why he did that, maybe it was to throw Jongdae off, or maybe he wasn't ready to go back to the guesthouse lest facing Baekhyun in his worn out state and risk getting teased or laughed at by the annoying guy.

 

Chanyeol left him because he isn't spontaneous enough. Jongdae and Liyin got tired of him clinging onto them because he has no one else to go to. There was no one left for him!

 

A third-wheel. Kyungsoo could almost laugh. How the mighty has fallen.

 

Kyungsoo felt as if his heart got torn out from his chest. It hurts so badly that he almost could not want to go on anymore. Chanyeol promised him forever. Jongdae said he would be there for him. So how the hell in the world did he get to end up with nobody?

 

He got tired from running soon enough. It was dark, and he had no idea where he was. The tidal wave of loneliness swept over him and buried him under as he slumps against the wall, wiping his tears clumsily with the sleeve of his sweater. Slowly he slid to the ground.

 

Just as Kyungsoo catches his breath as he tried to stop his tears, he heard it. Initially, he thought that he heard wrongly, but soon it grew louder and louder. Someone's playing the piano in the middle of the night. He frowned as he straightened himself up and walked towards the source of the music. It was from a building somewhere in the middle of Hongdae. Kyungsoo walked into the building, towards the source of the sound.

 

Unmistakably, the melody of Yiruma's "The River Flows in You" floated down the dark hallway. In the dark, Kyungsoo felt calm from the tranquility of the music. And soon, a gentle voice accompanied the tickled ivories.

 

"Tears flowing down my cheek, tearing me up as I think of what could have been."

 

Kyungsoo frowned, the voice sounds familiar. Could it be...?

 

"My Ben'nJerrys melting, falling apart like me, dripping down insinuating."

 

Kyungsoo peeped over his shoulders as his eyes adjusted to the dark surrounding. Stumbling around and running in the dark got him into the Hongik University music fraternity house unintentionally. The music fraternity club is a club for people who loves music and is a jock, like Jongdae, Chanyeol, and Baekhyun. And the building was sponsored and paid for by Chanyeol's rich parents, who rent it about two blocks away from the school. Back when they were together, Chanyeol had tried to get Kyungsoo to join the club, but the latter rejected the offer as he doesn't likes to get involve with people.

 

"What if things had been different? What if we'd kept it light? What if I could hold you? I wish you'd never lied."

 

As the voice goes into a soft diminuendo, Kyungsoo tiptoed and looked into the room from the back window. There sits a boy with a black bob of hair back facing him. In the darkness, Kyungsoo couldn't make out who it was.

 

"I remember clearly you saying... You and me forever... Though I'm still praying."

 

The voice was so familiar, borderline scratchy and nasal. But yet, Kyungsoo found it soothing. He felt less lonely somehow.

 

"I wanted it to last so desperately, I lost sight of all else... And it ended so abruptly."

 

The song and the sadness. It was as if God had chosen this specific moment for Kyungsoo to walk in on this mysterious singer in the night. The song speaks so much for him. The sadness of the pianist was felt thoroughly by him.

 

"What if things had been different? What if we'd kept it light? What if I could hold you? I wish you'd never lied... I got dealt a hand, not in my favor... Not what I had planned, not what I had hoped for... What if things had been different? What if we'd kept it light- Who's there?!"

 

Kyungsoo jumped as the pianist stopped abruptly.

 

He panicked as he d around in the darkness, trying to flee. But suddenly, lights flooded the fraternity house, freezing Kyungsoo in his mid-step. His foot hovered in the air as he shielded his face from the light.

 

"I'm so sorry, I don't mean to intrude- I just- I was walking around in the dark and I heard the piano. And I love Yiruma, and the music drew me in so-"

 

"Oh, it's just you."

 

Kyungsoo slowly lowered his arm and eyed the boy standing before him. It was Baekhyun. He should have known why did the voice sounded so familiar. In all of his crying fit and confusion, he hadn't recognized the voice before. But he certainly does now.

 

"Roomie," Baekhyun smirked. "Can't get enough of me in the dorm and now you're stalking me? Aren't you on a date with Jongdae and that Chinese chick- wait, did you just cried? Why are your eyes so red and puffy?" He made a step towards Kyungsoo, hand outstretched, as if trying to touch his face.

 

Kyungsoo's mouth turned dry. Just when he finally found a sanctuary, Baekhyun just has to tear out his wound and rub salt all over it. He his dry chapped lips as he holds back his tears.

 

Baekhyun raised a brow. "Are you gonna cry-"

 

Before Baekhyun even finishes his sentence, a tear slipped down Kyungsoo's cheek. Even Baekhyun was shocked. "Oh my god hobbit, I was just kidding!"

 

But Kyungsoo was already gone.

 

He fled from the music fraternity house and ran into the night.