Last Night's Mystery Solved

Love or Hate?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Daehyun woke up feeling like his head was splitting in half. He decides right away to blame Youngjae for the situation he was in now, feeling like he’s going to throw up everywhere any minute, head throbbing and cotton mouthed. If only he had just stayed home and ignored that damn invitation, more like kidnapping, then he wouldn’t be feeling like his head was being banged against a brick wall repeatedly. He got out of bed slowly, the world swirling around him in slow motion; he may still be a little drunk still. He uses all of his strength to stumble to the bathroom, focusing his aching eyes on his feet so he doesn’t trip and fall because he won’t be able to get up if that happens and then he’d have to explain to his parents why he’s laying in the hallway looking like a dead fish.

He stared at himself and the mirror showed him everything he already knew to be true, that he looks like hell. His hair stuck up in every direction like he’d been jolted by lightning on his way home and his clothes were stained with unknown substances and crumpled. He doesn’t even remember how he got home after being ditched by his so called best friend. He decides to ask the blonde idiot later on along with a good punch to the boy’s gut for abandoning him like that; he could’ve been taken advantage of!

Daehyun took a quick, hot shower, washing away the grime and sweat that coated his skin. He took the stairs slowly going downstairs with thoughts of eating breakfast, but his stomach churns when he opens the fridge and gets a whiff of last nights leftovers and he’s gotta rush to the closest garbage can to spill his guts. He settled for a bottle of spring water instead and headed to Youngjae’s house to beat the hell out of him and get an explanation.

On his way to Youngjae’s house, he decided to walk over since it was literally down the road a few blocks and Daehyun still feels a little tipsy. He’s lost in thought about the party and it’s details that are just fuzzy memories he can’t quite focus on, when he bumped into Bomi. She let out a surprised squeak as they collided and his hands reached out to grip her upper arms so she wouldn’t tumble to the ground in a heap. He mumbled a hoarse good morning but the usually talkative girl remained silent, scared even, blushing scarlet and pulled away from his quickly and pushed right past him. He found that strange, in all the years he’s known her she’s never acted like this towards him, even when he made her really mad. She’s usually always pestering him about whether he had a good night sleep or ate breakfast, the least she could do is say good morning to him. She barely even looked at him and for some reason it pisses him off.

“Yah!” He shouts at her retreating form and she stops dead in her tracks but doesn’t turn around which irritates him even more. “I said good morning Bomi. Why are you like this all of a sudden?” He started to catch up to her; she’d gotten a considerable distance in her attempted escape. “Where’s the usual game of 20 questions you like to play?”

Bomi turned around with an unreadable expression and looked at him shyly. “D-Don’t you remember anything from last night?” She stammered out awkwardly, unable to make eye contact with him as she asked the question that’s been bugging her since she woke up this morning.

“No, I was pretty wasted to be honest.” He confessed with a chuckle trying to lighten the tension. “I still might be a little drunk.” He expects her to laugh at least or maybe ask if she needs to take him home and nurse him back to health but she doesn’t do any of those things, was he losing his touch?

Her pretty eyes scanned him with concern and worry, which almost made him laugh; how typical of her. The look made him a little suspicious though, her eyes were a little more doe eyed than usual, filled with something new and she was biting on her bottom lip nervously like she has more to say but was hiding something; he’s surprised she hasn’t drawn blood yet.

His smile dropped to form a familiar frown, should he remember anything from last night? Everything is really fuzzy after he started drinking with Youngjae and then once Youngjae ditched him everything gets super hazy and confusing.

“Did I do something last night?” Daehyun asked, a little more demanding than he meant to but he was anxious for answers but also dreading what the girl had to say.

Bomi was a little hurt deep down; she knows she shouldn’t have even taken the kiss to heart. After all, she knew he was drunk last night so what did she expect? The most magical moment of her life and she couldn’t even re-live it with the person who made it happen. She remembered the feeling of his thick lips against hers like he’d just kissed her seconds ago. Her lips tingled with anticipation as her gaze settled on the swollen, pink lips. The look he had in his chocolate eyes while he pulled her in closer to him last night was magic, every moment was burned into her memory and yet he didn’t even remember a thing. She sighed heavily feeling both heartbroken and defeated, what’s the point of trying anymore? 

“Never mind,” She replied, shaking her head dismissively. “Well um anyways, I’m actually on my way to meet with someone so if you’ll excuse me.” Bomi explained half-heartedly, her usually peppy voice sounded dull and flat to Daehyun’s ears and he decides right away that he doesn’t like the lifeless tone.

She started walking off, but Daehyun grabbed her wrist, spinning her back around to face him, surprise was etched deeply into her delicate features as she stared up at him wide eyed. “Are you sure you don’t remember what happened? I remember seeing you there and talking to you.” His voice was desperate at that point, almost pleading. She was acting so weird, he must’ve done something terrible to make her act this way and he needed to know what he did so he could make things right. “Do you know who brought me home last night?”

“Um...no, I don’t remember who brought you home, sorry.” Bomi decided to leave before he realized she was lying through her teeth. “I gotta go.” She chirped and with one hard jerk she freed herself and rushed off.

Daehyun watched dumbfounded by Bomi's reaction, then shrugged it off, too tired to give a about it any longer. He sighs heavily and continues on to Youngjae’s house, his friend is the only person who can help him unravel the mystery of what happened to him last night.

Bomi arrived at the coffee shop and looked around the crowded room for Myungsoo. She frowns, there are so many people, how is she supposed to find him? She's about to pull her phone out to call him when she spotted Myungsoo finally. He was standing up at a corner table, waving his arms in the air animatedly and shouting her name loud enough for people to start staring at both of them. Her cheeks burn and she rushes over to him as quickly as possible to shut him up.

He beams at her as she takes her seat across from him. “Good morning.” He chimes.

She smiled back feeling suddenly nervous around her old tutor. “Morning.” She answers quickly, it's weird being here in front of her first crush.

“How are you?” He asks, holding a steaming cup of coffee between his hands, her eyes fall on it and waters, he noticed her gaze and jumped to his feet again to beckon the waitress over.

“Hi, what can I get you?” She asked with a bright smile.

“Iced caramel macchiato please.” Bomi answered with a smile.

“Coming right up!” She chimed and turned to Myungsoo gesturing a hand toward his empty mug. “More coffee sir?” He nodded his head and she walked off to fulfill the orders.

Once they both had their coffee Myungsoo stared into her eyes and got right to the point.

“So,” He started tracing the rim of his cup with a long finger. “I actually asked you here because I need a favor.” He paused a moment to gauge her reaction, she stared at him with curious eyes. “I know you like Daehyun right?”

Bomi looked at him in shock, cheeks burning hot with a hue of red. How did he figure that out? Was she that obvious? “H-how did you know that?” She questioned slowly, fidgeting with her coffee cup.

Myungsoo smirked. “Oh come on, do you really think I wouldn’t notice? Especially when he always complains about how much you annoy him.” He wiggled his eyebrows and grinned cheekily. “I think he likes it though but is just too stubborn to admit it. Which kind of brings me to the favor I need,” He paused again and she nodded slowly, unsure of what she was agreeing to. “I want you to help my brother become the old Daehyun again.”

Bomi stared at him; he wanted her to break down his brother’s steel walls? Daehyun couldn’t even look at her most the time without glaring in annoyance or telling her to go away, he barely likes her as a friend, how could she possibly change him when he doesn’t even give her the time of day? Although she missed the old Daehyun she knew this was no easy task and she wasn’t sure if she could do it.

“How do you expect me to do that?” She asked dumbfounded.

Myungsoo realized she didn’t understand the power she had over Daehyun. She really was clueless to how much she affected him.

“All you have to do is be yourself and hang around him, whenever he’s around you I see a little bit of who he used to be. I know you can do it.” He insisted, giving her his best reassuring look, the same one he gave her every time she tried to quit while they were studying a hard math subject.

Bomi sighed heavily giving in, what kind of friend would she be if she didn’t try? “Okay, I’ll try,” Myungsoo’s face lit up with pure happiness. “But I can’t promise he’ll change.” She really would try, she wanted to, because she missed that Daehyun too, but she had to be honest, she wasn’t going to get her hopes too high.

Myungsoo grinned at her, happily sipping his coffee, pleased with the outcome. “I have confidence in your abilities Bomi.” Myungsoo was absolutely sure Bomi was the right person to help him with this.

Sometimes Myungsoo noticed Daehyun smiling to himself right after coming home and whining about her following him around everywhere. He even heard Daehyun mention her name in his sleep once when he was on the couch taking a nap. She is the one who can break his brother's cold, emotionless façade.

“Well enough talking about that, are you hungry? Why don’t you order something? I’ll pay for it.” He insisted, beckoning the waitress over for a third time.

“Oh, you don’t have to do that I’m not that hungry.” Bomi declined but she hadn't eaten anything and was hungry, she didn't want to burden Myungsoo.

“Nonsense, you should fill that tiny belly of yours.” Myungsoo grinned.

She laughed softly and rolled her eyes. “Well if you insist, then I’ll have some cheesecake.” She couldn’t help but crave the creamy cheesy goodness that melted in , just thinking about it made water.

Myungsoo chuckled and she stared at him clueless. “You and my brother are meant for each other, that’s the same thing he always orders.” He smirked and knew he definitely found the person for Daehyun.

Bomi’s cheeks immediately turned a rosy pink; she felt excited that she had something in common with the person she loved because honestly now that they’re both grown up she doesn’t know much about him anymore.

“Really?” She tried to act like it wasn’t a big deal to her, Myungsoo nodded with a knowing look. “That’s cool.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter