Finding Love, Finding You

Open Ended (Chanbaek Drabbles)

A/n: This drabble was originally written for the ChanBaekPH fanart/fanfic event, Little Things for a Big Love :) Fanart drawn by the lovely @bhyunbaeks ^__^

---------------

 

The door slammed against the wall as it was thrown open.

“I brought the stuff,” Baekhyun said, running into the room and setting two tubs of ice cream down on Chanyeol’s desk.

Chanyeol glanced up from his bed, his eyes tinted a soft red, and his cheeks stained with tears.

“You were fast,” he said, holding back a sniffle as he hid his face back in his pillows.

“I’m better than delivery,” Baekhyun responded, popping open one of the large tubs and bringing a spoon over to him before sitting down on Chanyeol’s bed and lifting his head into his lap.

Chanyeol curled up against Baekhyun and rested against him with a tired sigh. “I don’t know what to do, Baek. What am I even doing wrong? This is the third girl I’ve lost this year.”

“You’re just looking for love in all the wrong places,” Baekhyun said, nudging his arm. “Open.”

Chanyeol opened his mouth as Baekhyun fed him a spoonful of ice cream, and he put his face back down on Baekhyun’s lap. “I don’t know where to look then,” he responded, his voice muffled by Baekhyun’s thighs.

Baekhyun patted his head as he got another scoop of ice cream for himself. “Probably stop falling in love with every girl you see in the parking lot. Just thinking a girl is pretty isn’t love, Chanyeol.”

Chanyeol groaned softly. “It was never love then, I guess. What is love even supposed to be like?”

“I dunno… it’s the whole butterflies and heart pounding thing, right?

“Would you even know?”

Baekhyun paused, a frown set heavily on his lips as he held the spoon against them. “I wouldn’t, I guess. I’m not sure.”

Chanyeol hummed quietly before he let a small silence settle between them as Baekhyun put the spoon in his mouth as shuddered a little, squeaking softly from what Chanyeol could only assume was a brain freeze.

“I never liked her anyway,” Baekhyun said distastefully enough to where Chanyeol could pretty much visualize him scrunching his nose in that cute way he always did. “She took all of your time and we couldn’t hang out as much anymore.”

“Oh? What, are you jealous–”

Baekhyun force fed Chanyeol another spoonful of ice cream to interrupt. “But it’ll be back to normal soon. You, me, and Jongdae wrecking campus and lying around all day in out boxers again without a care in the world.”

Chanyeol let out a soft breath of laughter before turning over to stare up to Baekhyun’s smiling face.

“Thanks for being here,” Chanyeol said softly. “It means a lot.”

“I’ve been your best friend for years, Chanyeol,” Baekhyun said with a pout. “I’m not just going to disappear that easily.”

Chanyeol laughed as he settled back down on Baekhyun’s lap. “I think I should just marry you. You’d make a great wife.”

Baekhyun laughed as he flicked Chanyeol’s ear. “Stop speaking before I choke you with ice cream.”

 

---------------

 

“Chanyeol!” a familiar voice called as he left his class when a small hand wrapped around his arm and pulled him away from the steady stream of students leaving the classroom. “Caught ya!”

Chanyeol looked down to the older boy in a daze. “What? Why?”

“Because I’m kidnapping you for a picnic,” he sang as he locked arms with the giant.

“Wait,” Chanyeol interrupted. “You didn’t even ask if I had something to do.”

“We all know you’re not busy,” Baekhyun quickly retorted as though he had memorized his daily schedule. “You can’t turn me down. I already snuck your guitar out of your room and all,” he said with a smile much too wide.

“You broke into my room?”

“Or I stole Jongdae’s key, but I guess they’re the same thing.”

He gave a sigh. “Baekhyun, you can’t…” but his voice trailed off as Baekhyun furrowed his eyebrows, making those puppy eyes that he knew Chanyeol was always weak to, poking out his bottom lip in a cute pout as he held up the basket.

“I have ice cream. You can’t refuse.”

Chanyeol eyed the basket suspiciously, but when he opened his mouth to protest, Baekhyun let his shoulders droop as he whined, “It’ll melt, Chanyeol.”

Chanyeol sighed loudly, cursing himself for always losing to him, and cursing Baekhyun for knowing how to get him to lose. “We can’t go far. I have class in an hour.”

“Yay!” Baekhyun squealed. “We won’t take long. Promise,” he sang as he dragged him off toward the grassy courtyard in the front of their school where he set out the picnic blanket under a large oak tree to have lunch together, complete with spoon feeding each other ice cream while Chanyeol played his guitar and Baekhyun sang along. Baekhyun pulled Chanyeol up to dance, twirling around in circles until he tripped over Chanyeol’s feet and tugged him down with him, ending with Baekhyun crashing on top of Chanyeol’s chest in a fit of laughter.

“What’s that, Chanyeol, are you falling for me?” he asked with a giggle as he rolled off of him and gave him that sincerely happy smile set on his thin lips that Chanyeol thinks he’s been focusing on too much recently. “You must be, right?”

And it was in that moment that Chanyeol felt it again. That strange sensation that was like he couldn’t breathe. It had been getting more and more common recently. A quick bat of his eyes or a simple frown on his lips. Perhaps it was the lighting, or maybe there was just something in his eye. But something about him in that moment seemed… different.

“Chanyeol?”

He blinked.

“Yeah?” he asked, willing the strange feelings to settle down.

“Is something wrong? You’re watching me like a movie,” Baekhyun added with a chuckle, settling down beside him and popping another piece of popcorn into his mouth.

“Don’t flatter yourself,” Chanyeol responded, pushing him lightly.

“Well I’d understand why; I am rather gorgeous, after all.”

Baekhyun flashed him that brilliant smile.

Ah. There it was again.

Chanyeol stared, trying to ignore the feeling creeping back into his stomach as his hands tightened into fists at his side.

“Ah,” Baekhyun said, “you’re staring. That must mean I’m right.”

Chanyeol responded with no more than a sharp flick to his ear.

Baekhyun squealed in the midst of his laughter, only cut off as Chanyeol stuffed a handful of popcorn into his mouth, whispering “Shh,” as he did so.

“Not cool,” Baekhyun said after spitting out the popcorn and picking up pieces to flick at the taller boy.

It had fourteen long years of this. From days of playing online games together for hours to long nights of Chanyeol lying on Baekhyun’s couch complaining about all of his problems. Nights that Chanyeol had fallen asleep on Baekhyun’s bed while doing homework at 3 am and Baekhyun would fall aslsep on top of him, or nights that Baekhyun would fold himself into Chanyeol’s arms for comfort.

And it was only then that he wondered why he hadn’t realized it before.

“It’s such a nice day outside…” Baekhyun sighed as he leaned back and stared up to the clouds.

Baekhyun was gorgeous, Chanyeol thought, but he was more than that.

He was nice, sweet, charming. His eyes were beautiful, and his voice was heavenly and…

“Isn’t it, Chanyeol?”

And it was like he admired him – no, adored him, even? Adored his smile, adored his laughter. Adored him from the tips of his wiggling toes to the cute tilt of his head.

“Chanyeol?”

Chanyeol slowly edged closer to him, his hands slowly coming up to cup his face, the soft skin of his cheeks rubbing against his fingers as he leaned toward him and pressed his lips to Baekhyun’s salty ones stained with butter and candies, though Chanyeol could still make out the sweet taste of his soft lips underneath it all as he took his small lip between his own, and pressed him back against the tree.

The butterflies in his stomach seemed to melt away along with the stress and the pounding in his chest. It felt natural. It felt right. It felt good.

Chanyeol slowly drew out of the kiss, opening his eyes to be met with Baekhyun’s wide chocolate brown eyes filled with an emotion Chanyeol couldn’t decipher, their faces barely a few centimeters away from each other’s.

He immediately dropped his hands from Baekhyun’s face and scurried back away from him as he tried to ignore the uncomfortable prickle of his stomach twisting into knots of dread.

“I… I’m so sorry; it was an accident,” Chanyeol stuttered in spite of his inability to think straight, his eyes following Baekhyun’s small tongue as it slowly trailed across his bottom lip, though Baekhyun’s eyes were still wide as he stared back at Chanyeol.

“Did you just…” his voice dropped to a whisper, “kiss me?”

“I swear, I didn’t mean to.”

“But you did.

Chanyeol swallowed nervously, choosing to say nothing in response.

Baekhyun laughed hesitantly. “Wow. Okay.”

Chanyeol took in a deep breath, still trying to fight that weird tightening in his chest. “I’m sorry, I really don’t know what happened.”

“Don’t apologize. It was… nice.”

Chanyeol whipped his head toward Baekhyun so quickly that he had to hold his hand up to his neck from the strain. “Nice?”

“Shut up.” Baekhyun fidgeted with the hem of his shirt. “I don’t have an automatic response to ‘my best friend just kissed me.’”

Chanyeol cleared his throat anxiously, but Baekhyun quickly stuttered, “I mean… not like I mind or anything…”

“You didn’t?”

He shrugged. “Not really.” He responded, turning toward Chanyeol.

“And maybe while you were busy looking for love in all these other places,” Baekhyun said, his voice just a soft whisper against Chanyeol’s lips, “we didn’t even notice the answer was right in front of us.”

And they were so close that Chanyeol could just pull the brunette down again and connect their lips once again, but Baekhyun jumped away with a nervous laugh, blushing as he stood up and tripped over his words as he packed the picnic basket. He stumbled a bit as he left the lark oak tree with a hurried “Well this was a nice picnic. Yeah? Okay, love you, bye – I mean…”

He cleared his throat and scratched at his neck. “See you later,” he mumbled hurriedly as he turned to run off in the other direction, leaving Chanyeol behind to continue staring at him in a daze until that soft smile up his lips.

So this is what love is like?

---------------