Chapter 4: A Dash of Chocolate

Blind Folded

"Kai? Kai, I can't really hear you"

Hye Ri patiently waited for his response from the other end which really, was no good. She had no idea where he was, but all she could hear were vague sounds of traffic, and a bit of shuffling noises from the other end. "Sorry Hye Ri, i'm late for your grandfather's meeting- wait hold on a minute." She heard his deep voice echo some distance away from the phone, asking his driver if he could drive faster. "Sorry Hye Ri, I don't think I can make it this morning. I'll pick you up from there as sson as i'm done, and i'll treat you to lunch. How does that sound?"

"Fair enough", she conceded. "I'll see you in the afternoon."

"Alright, see you. Take care."

She withdrew the phone from her ear, and gave it to Mrs. Park. "Thank you"

The older lady gently took away her phone and shook her head lightly. "The young master can't make it today?" With speechlessness residing her young mistress' face, she patted her back in comfort. "I will order your coffee for you."

"It's okay Mrs. Park, i'll order." She must've either heard the shuffling of the elder woman's feet or her small gasp so she continued. "I'm fine Mrs. Park, I can handle it. You can relax for the time being."

It took a few minutes until the elder woman finally withdrew after sensing the young girl may have wanted some time to herself. And perhaps she had. 

She didn't hate Mrs. Park nor did she blame her for constantly worrying about her. But that's how everyone who knew were like. It was the first oath their maids, guards as well as anyone who worked under her grandfather, took. It was to remain a secret that Song Dong Wook's grand daughter was blind. 

She heard it herself. Mr Kim, Kai's father and also her grandfather's secretary, recite the oath. She remembered the thunder of his voice a bit too well, and with Kai squeezing her hand beside her. That was the day Kai's dad started working for them, and when Kai didn't have to sneak into their house to play with her any longer.

And for some reason, she wasn't supposed to know. But upon mentioning this to her grandfather he soothed, "it's to protect you Hye Ri. What if someone takes advantage of my only grand daughter? I can't bear it."

If there was one thing she got out of being blind, it was the sincerity of others. And there was no doubt that her grand father was truly genuine at that moment. But it also seemed a bit off. Was that the whole reason or only part of it?

 

"Your order, Ms. Song" 

Hye Ri snapped out of her daze and nodded. "Yes, i'd like a mocha cappuccino please."

She wasn't allowed to eat chocolate. Chocolate, her grandmother said, only evoked weakness. But Hye Ri thought she was sugar coating things really. Her dad liked chocolate. Her grandmother didn't want to remember her dad. Her grandmother didn't want her to remember her dad.

And she was never one to break rules, but for the day, she decided to let it pass. "A dash won't hurt", she calmly agreed. She just hoped Mrs. Park didn't notice.

Kai really liked mocha cappuccino. It was either that or hot chocolate. She could picture him sitting across from her that very moment, and gently carressing her hand to let her know he was there. She could picture him laugh, while his hand squeezed her own in his fit of laughter. 

But it's been three weeks since that last happened. They came to this coffee shop every Saturday. But with the growing responsibiilties he seemed to have taken up, their streak was broken. But he seemed happy, which made her recall him carressing her hand like he usually did and exclaiming excitedly. "Hye Ri, I think i'm finally being recognised."

She didn't really understand what that meant, but if he was happy, she was too. It seemed as if everything was always about him tending to her and never the other way round. So this time, she would be the one to let him go. Yet, she can't help but feel a bit lonely without Kim Kai. 

 

She heard the coffee mug lightly cling against the table and immediately bowed. "Thank you." She felt around the mug, realizing it was still a bit too hot. "I'll wait for it to cool."

She finished the last of her drink, and set her coffee mug on her table. "Mrs. Park, what time is it?"

"It's 3pm my dear", she heard the elder woman yawn, and couldn't help but feel a bit apologetic. "Did Kai call?"

"No my dear", she answered hesitantly and sighed. "I'm sorry young mistress."

"No it's fine", Hye Ri sighed a bit aggravatedly, which may have come to Mrs. Park's surprise. "Does your daughter have a lesson today?"

"Lesson?", the elder wondered a bit and nodded a bit absently. "At the dojo yes.. She goes thrice a week."

"Is it okay if we go there? I won't tell grandma about it."

"What... the heck are you doing here?"

Tao grumbled upon seeing the familiar face, who likewise, never seemed as pleased to see him either. "I don't have the patience to deal with you right now", Hye Ri said absently.

Tao scoffed. "And you think I do? You little brat."

He sat himself down to her far right, keeping as much distance from her as possible. If it weren't for his sensei who could practically throw daggers at him the minute his defied gravity, he would've left a long time ago. "Why am I the one doing the baby sitting?" 

He was sure other guys like Chanyeol would be more than happy to talk to her. He watched him span the room behind him, trying to get a glimpse of the girl beside him. He didn't understand why he liked her, or felt attracted to her for that matter. She was ordinary looking, and had no particular charm that attracted anyone really. 

Well, not him at least. 

"What are they doing?"

He immediately turned to the youth class before them, and raised a brow. "Those kids? You don't seem the type to be into martial arts."

"I wasn't", she admitted. "But it's calming."

He stared at her a bit, somehow understanding how she felt. Their screams, as well as the wind breaking movements their bodies made at a steady count were very controlled. Yet, it was fierce and genuine. It was like they screamed for him when he was the most frustrated, and somehow took a few things off his chest. And the feeling of being able to practice the art itself was on a whole other level. 

"Wushu", he surveyed the children and nodded in approvement once they did a high kick. "It's a traditional Chinese martial art."

She was surprised he actually answered her. And unlike his usual boorish tone, he sounded alot more.. tolerant of her she should say. "It's very swift."

For the first time, they both didn't quarrel. And for the first time, there was something they could agree on. Hye Ri had to admit, she felt calmer now than when she first entered.

The youngsters now used a staff of which Hye Ri was unaware of. But she listened carefully as it rung across the floor, and as their uniforms sliced the air clean. It was wonderful and so rhythmatic. She didn't know how it looked, but she wished she had.

Tao kept an eye on one of the younger ones, who seemed to struggle with the staff almost taller than he was. They were made to spin the staff in the air but he couldn't seem to follow. He watched one of his hyungs walk over to him, instructing him to do it over and over again. Tao shook his head and stood. "Hyung wait, I don't think that's-

They all stopped as the wooden staff spun out of control and into the air, bolting out at the speed of lightning. 

"Tao! Watch out!"

 

A/N: I'm sorry i've been away from this story for so long. I had no idea how to continue and I had a busy first semester of school. I hope this makes it up. It's a pretty long chapter but I hope you guys enjoy it nonetheless. Have a good day guys!