Chapter 1: The Beginning

Blind Folded

Even before I begin this fanfiction, I want to dedicate this DaEunnie. I hope you like this girl! 


 

“You’re-”

 

“Hye Ri!”

Kai’s frantic voice and sprinting footsteps cut her off short. She realized the immediate movement from the stranger just next to her, had dissolved into silence at Kai’s sudden appearance. But Kai seemed to find less importance in the stranger, and immediately knelt down to Hye Ri’s aid.

“Who was that? Did he do anything to you Hye Ri?” he gripped her tightly by the shoulders and scanned her worriedly.

 

“No Kai, it’s nothing”, she tried to reassure him and stood up. “We have to go. Grandma will be worried”

But in fact, it was far from nothing. She recognized that voice almost instantly. Yet, it was strange of her to hide that from Kai. She was usually an open book to Kai. It wasn’t even anything worth hiding.

 

Or at least, that’s what she wanted to think.

 

That voice. That voice in particular. It was her second time hearing it. Always so bitter, always full of resentment. It was something she couldn’t understand. Perhaps it was because she was always so tightly shielded from all harm that she could possibly encounter. Either by her grandparents, or by Kai.

Why did he always sound so desperate? So aggressive? She was curious. Ever since she had first encountered him.

 

“I’m missing 5 bucks”, he said sharply.

It echoed the mall. Early in the morning, with the sun just risen, with the mall just opened. She turned slightly to where she had heard the very stern, deep voice, and stopped.

“It’s just 5 bucks. Will you give me a break?” the other party said dismissively. But the other, seemingly younger, didn’t give in that easily.

“I want my money”, he said threateningly. She could clearly hear his breath being held under gritted teeth, and a small whimper resound from the other party.

“Mr. Kim, please take care of that”, was what her grandfather said about the whole business. Kai as well, seemed a bit uninterested at what was happening. He squeezed her hand a bit, ushering her to follow him away.

 

And coincidentally, she had met him again. Yet another strange encounter.

Again, he seemed desperate, yet resolute. It always seemed to be about money. She thought he must be suffering financially. Yet, his voice always seemed so arrogant-like, so as to not obtain any pity.

Pity.

 

“Oh. It’s you”, he struggled to get up, but seemed to fail as another loud thud rumbled the wooden floor underneath them. She had never felt so helpless before. She tried to stretch her hands out to help him, but hesitantly drew them back. Knowing of course, she had no services to offer.

She heard scrunching sounds unfold, and guessed that was the money he had been arguing about with that customer a while ago. She heard them lightly crackle like paper, and heard a loud frustrated sigh. “Damn them”

“Is something wrong?” she inquired. She sat there a little placidly, which was overlooked by the male. “Of course there is”, he scowled. “But why would you care? You’re just some rich heiress of some old geezer”

Her lips pursed into a thin line, not wanting her anger to relish her actions. She hated being looked upon as just ‘the rich grandchild of Song Dong Wook’. As much as she would appraise her grandfather for his overwhelming success, she would very much not want to be given a title of that sort.

She suddenly paused. His voice felt so familiar. She shot her head up, tracing the dusting noises he made against his clothes and knew she couldn’t be mistaken. That guy. From the shopping mall. It’s him.

“You’re-”

 

 

“Hye Ri”

She wanted to click her tongue from annoyance. Once more she had been interrupted, and now her recollection was shattered. But she knew better than to display such ill manners in front of her grandparents. “Sorry grandma”

“Did something happen when you were with Kai this afternoon?”, she could immediately feel her grandmother eyeing Kai down, but Hye Ri shook her head. “No grandma. I had fun this afternoon.”

“Are you sure?” Kai squeezed her hand worriedly, and she nodded. Her grandmother suddenly seemed to undergo a 360 degree change and reverted back to her old self. She squealed at their sweetness, no longer able to contain herself.

“Young children these days. Oh Kai, you’re so reliable. I can never entrust my only grandchild to anyone but you. Isn’t that right honey?”

Her grandfather exploded into a hearty laugh, agreeing almost instantly. “Now don’t tell me you’re hiding something from us Hye Ri. Are you kids-”

“Grandpa!” she defended. “It’s true I don’t have any other friends but Kai, and that he is someone I undoubtedly trust, but our relationship isn’t-”

“Oh come now Hye Ri!” her grandmother protested. “You two look absolutely perfect together!”

 

But not that Hye Ri would know. They always saw something she couldn’t. Something she could never see. But she didn’t let that bother her.

She mustn’t.

 

“Mr and Mrs Song, it’s just as Hye Ri says. We’re childhood friends, and always have been. I’ve taken it upon myself to take care of her. Always”

That seemed to have the opposite effect of siding with Hye Ri and just made her grandmother bashful and croon at his statement. Hye Ri shook her head. “He always had his way with words.”

 

“What you said earlier seemed to have worked on them”, she sighed as they entered her garden. “Well whatever you say seems to have a positive effect on them either way”

Kai smirked rather proudly. “I’ve always liked your grandparents. I seem to make a very suitable grandson don’t you think?”

 

She shook her head. She always wondered where he got his confidence from. But then again, it may not have been baseless. Kai almost got everything going for him. He was the son of her grandfather’s secretary, the top student in one of the most prestigious schools known in Korea, and was a fine, charming young man all on his own. He knew the business, which made him a very credible grandson-in-law, and was very quick witted. However, little did they know about him when he was with Hye Ri.

With his most trusted friend, he was obnoxious, arrogant, and childish. His smart boy image had completely dissolved, and he had a knack of getting away with smart remarks. He enjoyed seeing Hye Ri get so frustrated when teased, and when she would hit him from his witty jokes.

Yet, despite all, he was strangely dependable. As her grandmother had said. And always had been.

 

“Kai, do you know what happened to that man in the shopping mall earlier this week?”

 “Is that where your mind was off to this entire time?”

“Who was he?” she pressed on.

“A delivery boy so it seemed. Apparently he didn’t get his dues with one of your dad’s employees, so my dad was sent to handle the whole thing.”

“And?” she inquired. By this time, she could already tell how annoyed he was. But he continued on nonetheless. “The employee inevitably paid him. Though I don’t understand why he would fuss over just a mere five dollars.”

 

“But why would you care? You’re just some rich heiress of some old geezer”

The stranger turned delivery boy’s words echoed through her head at Kai’s reply. She shifted a bit, and quite uncomfortably at that. “I don’t either”

 

“And what about you?” Kai turned to Hye Ri, this time questioning her. “You said you wanted to accompany one of the housemaids to the marketplace? Why so suddenly?”

Hye Ri tried to reason quickly, thinking of anything that popped into her mind. “I’ve never been grocery shopping before. I’d like to go with Mrs Park to the market.”

“Need the presence of a good looking, ever enchanting body guard?”

She laughed in spite of herself, but shook her head. “You don’t need to Kai. I can just-”

“What did you say? You can’t go without me? You’re so cute Hye Ri”, he playfully , and pinched her cheek as if she was a little child. He enjoyed seeing the product of his mischief, as she flicked his hand away in annoyance.

“What I wanted to say is, I can just go with Mrs Park”

Kai patted her on the back, and clicked his tongue. “I know, I know. I don’t think I can get enough of me either.”

“Why do I even bother?” she thought silently.

“Pick you up at 8?” he added. “At least, that’s what you hear in the movies.”

 

Hye Ri shook her head, but with a small smile creeping up her face. She appreciated how humorous he always was. No matter how serious the conversation was supposed to be, he always made it seem otherwise.

But she knew even without him saying so. And he probably guessed she had. The reason why he voluntarily accompanied her everywhere she went that is.

It was obvious. To those who knew, yet kept silent about it like Kai always had. He aided her with something she didn’t have. Something she couldn’t see. A replacement for what she lacked, and what she had lost.

But she decided to go with the flow. And as difficult as that was at the time, it appeared to be short-lived.

More short-lived than she had anticipated.

 

 

A/N: Back with another fanfiction after being dead for a few days. Please leave some comments if you liked it, or if you feel it was lacking in anyway! DaEunnie, I hope you like this bit!