Chapter 2: The Dojo

Blind Folded

“Were you able to pay your rent on time?”

“Barely.” The younger stared off at the many portraits that hung on the wall, scanning each one for the gazillionth time. “But i’m sure that’s not why you called me in here.”

He was immediately slapped on the back of his head, which produced a loud sound that bobbed his head forward. “How quick of you to notice”, scorned the other. He took the younger by the ear, dragging him mercilessly across the room. “Why not fix that awful way of talking while you’re at it?”

 

The other students shook their heads at yet another brawl brewing forward. “We’re going to get complaints from the landlord again”, one sighed. They did not even spare to look at the direction the commotion was stemming from, even as yet another vase broke.

“Don’t they ever get tired of this?” one of the instructors sighed.

 

 

“Back straight. All the way to the ground. Now”

The younger cursed under his breath as he did another set of push ups. There was no avoiding a clash of arguments every time they met. He wondered how he became so attached to the old fart when all he did was punish him.

“Enough”, the elder commanded. He roughly cleansed his student’s wounds when he dropped down to the ground. “They’re worse today”, he noted.

“Am I your private nurse? Why do I always have to bandage your wounds?”

 

“I didn’t ask you to do it”, the latter grumbled. He immediately buckled forward when a straight blow cut through to his stomach. “I didn’t!” he still dared to gasp.

 

“Where did you end up getting hurt again?” the old man ignored. “I hope you weren’t frolicking about the streets creating havoc”

“What the hell does frolicking mean?” the younger said in disgust. “What’s with the girly talk?”

“Tao!” he smacked him square on the head. “When will you ever learn!?”

 

Their constant bickering could go on for hours. Quarrelling was the only type of communication between them really. After all, what do you expect with such a foul mouth of a student, and a short tempered old man? It never took less than a minute to see them in action.

Much times their fights also turned physical. But that was just how Tao preferred it. To many, it may have seemed almost brutish and rough. Sometimes, he also ended up bruised. But this violent exchange replaced the words they found difficult to utter.

 

“Why can’t they ever do anything normally? They’re like a damn old couple.” One of the instructors stomped his way to the noisy room that looked so normal on the outside. Oh how he wished it was actually like that.

“Tao, sensei stop. I’m not cleaning up your office again sensei. This is the fourth time this week!” called one of the instructors. “And sensei! You have a class to teach!”

 

The elder straightened himself up immediately, and cleared his throat. He shot Tao a side glance, and took him by the ear once more. “You’re coming with me”

“Again!?” Tao grumbled. “Wait! That hurts! Sensei!”

 

 

“Kai can’t come along?” Hye Ri tried to hide her surprise, which may have been futile at the very least.

The old maid nodded. “I have been informed he was invited to a very important meeting of your grandfather’s. Truly a talent, that little boy.”

 

“He is”, Hye Ri agreed. She had to admit, it felt strange without Kai by her side. She hadn’t realized she had depended on him this much. The security he always gave her was absent and empty at that moment, and she felt a bit afraid. But she pushed her fear back, knowing she couldn’t depend on him forever.

Unless, he really did become the well awaited grandson of the Song household. Which she didn’t see happening. Not at any time at all.

 

“You don’t need to hide it dear”, the old woman soothed. “It’s your first time without Master Kai isn’t it? It’s okay.”

There was something warm and tender about Mrs. Park she always liked. She was so motherly it made her forget for that moment, that Kai was not there.

 

“We’re here child.” Mrs. Park led her slowly through the vendors of vegetables, and fruits, as they proceeded through the marketplace. Hye Ri could make out a very faint scent that was rather musky, yet raw and fresh. She held out her hand for the little object Mrs. Park handed her, and thought she would gain a strange for the little thing. “This tomato is so smooth”, Hye Ri mused. “Is it always this busy Mrs. Park?”

“It’s actually quieter today. But that is only because we chose to come here early morning. If it were any later, you might be swept by the crowd my child. And I can definitely not let that happen!”

Hye Ri let out a small laugh. She had met a lot of lovely salesmen that morning, realizing some were the sweetest of beings while some were a bit forceful and rowdy. Yet, she found them all to her liking all the same.

 

“What’s that noise?” Hye Ri paused as they walked down the street away from the marketplace.

“Ah, that”, Mrs. Park lit up delightedly. “It’s the martial arts dojo across the street. My daughter attends that place.”

“Does she?”

Mrs. Park glanced at the younger, who seemed a bit interested in the topic at hand. “Would you like me to take you there child? B-but you can’t-”

“I won’t tell my grandparents”, Hye Ri finished for her. She heard Mrs. Park squeal, and was immediately dragged across the street. She seemed to like the idea of mischief, Hye Ri thought. She had never seen Mrs. Park so worked up before.

 

They were greeted by a light ring of a bell, as Mrs. Park opened the door for them. But even that was masked by the loud cries that filled the dojo. The loud grunts that filled the air was obviously too powerful and thunderous to be contained within just a chamber of four walls. Yet, there was something admirable about it. A single cry for what came from a large number of people, became one. It was so orderly and synchronised.

 

“Oh Mrs. Park!” a chirpy, yet deep voice greeted her at the door. His eyes immediately laid on the girl next to her, and he cheered. “Is this another daughter of yours? Is she going to enroll here too? If she does, I wouldn’t mind teaching her-”

“Nonsense!” interrupted the elder. “This is my house mistress. Her name is Song Hye Ri.”

“Even better if you ask me”, smirked the male. “The name’s Chanyeol. Pleased to meet you.” He took her by the hand, and immediately shook it.

 

Everything seemed so fast paced for Hye Ri to keep up, but she did likewise. “Pleased to meet you.”

 

“What brings you here today?” another deep, rough voice greeted them yet again, but seemed rather hoarse. “What can I do for you Mrs. Park?”

“Oh Master Jung! I would just like to stay here and observe your class for a bit. If that’s alright.”

“Very well, I shall bring you tea. Oh? Who’s this? It’s nice to meet you young maiden”, he bowed to their new guest. But Hye Ri, unaware of this, had not returned his greeting. Everything went silent for a while until Mrs. Park laughed in a panic.

“She doesn’t come here very often you see. I’m sorry about our young mistress”

“Not a problem”, Master Jung rose, and motioned them to the bench across the dojo. “Please make yourself at home while I brew some tea.”

 

“Are you okay dear?” hissed the elder woman. “I did all I could-”

“I’m sorry Mrs. Park.” Hye Ri was seated down by the elder woman, as they stared out at what was supposed to be the youth karate class. “It was so noisy I couldn’t-”

“No, no madam”, Mrs. Park rubbed her back and lulled. “It’s nothing for you to apologize for.”

 

 

“Mrs. Park..?”

“Tao!” she mused. “I haven’t seen you in so long! Where on earth have you been!?”

 

But Tao had seemingly seemed to zone out, and his attention was drawn elsewhere. Like everyone’s attention seemed to divert, his laid on the girl next to her. But unlike most, his was different.

He looked at her with a special kind of scorn, which seemed to go unnoticed by the latter, who looked absently at the youth class before them.

“Part-time jobs”, Tao finally replied. He set down the tray next to her, handing the elder her tea. “Mrs. Park, sensei said he would like to have a word with you in his office.”

 

“Oh most certainly! But whatever for?” But her smile immediately broke down upon a sudden realization. “Wait, no I can’t. I can’t leave the young mistress-”

“Not to worry”, Tao made an effort to smile, and went over to hand the ‘young mistress’ her tea. “I’ll take care of her.”