Value Life

Relapse

[New pov.]

    Here I go again, another day spent dealing with my health issues. I hated having asthma more than anything. The random attacks at night, no matter how many times I take my meds, it always comes back. Then there's the allergies. Curse you, spring.

 

    Yet again, here I am stuck in the emergency room. Only this time is different, I have my boyfriend with me. And he's not here to keep me company either, oh how I wish that was the reason. Nope, he's here for something way worse than anything I've ever been through in my whole life. He's here because if his heart. He had another attack last night, and I was deathly afraid that I was going to lose him.

 

    But luckily God answered my prayers and he made it. Kris is so indefinitely strong. I'm so thankful for him every day. I'm so happy that he lives another day. I constantly get sick and tired of illness. At least if I wasn't sick, I could help take care of Kris. The only thing I can do is sit here and hope to God that he continues another day.

 

    Kris sat next to me in the waiting room, patiently holding my hand. I could hear him breathing irregularly and it scared me each time he took a breath. Each time I heard him gasp even a little bit, I would say a tiny prayer in my head that God would make it all go away and Kris could return to normal. I was so done with the waiting game.

 

     The nurse finally came for us and took us into one of the rooms. She looked through our charts carefully and sighed. "Yifan, would you please sit up on the bed for me?" My heart jumped. Usually I'm the only person I know of that calls Kris by his real name. But then again, only his real name showed up on his medical chart. "How long has this been going on? The struggle to breathe and the abnormal chest pains?"

 

    Kris clenched his jacket, "I've had it for a few years, but only in the past couple of weeks it's been getting worse and harder to do any kind of physical activity."

 

    The nurse nodded, "Well I'm going to have to run a few tests before we can determine whether you need surgery or not."

 

    My heart immediately sank. "Surgery?!" I shouted in my head, "As in open heart surgery?! My poor baby can't go through that, it's too risky! I won't allow it! I should know, I've been through surgery before and it isn't exactly a walk in the park." I wanted to say it all out loud, but instead I kept it all in, nodding along with Kris. Even though the surgery was risky, I wanted what was best for him and his health. In the end, I will still love him scars and all.

 

    Afterwards, the nurse checked Kris' blood pressure and heartbeat. Then she checked me really quick and wrote a note to the doctor to get me a new prescription for my asthma medicine. "I'm going to run these to the doctor really quick and he'll be with you shortly." The nurse said right before she left the room.

 

    I just sat there in the chair and sighed. I looked at Kris. He had the oddest expression on his face, almost as if he was depressed but also hopeful at the same time. I've never seen him like this before. "Do you want to talk at all?" I asked him.

 

   He shook his head, "It's fine. I'm sure I'll be okay."

 

    "You don't look okay. I'm really worried about you." I got up to get closer to him and hug him. I tried so hard not to cry.

 

    It took a while before he actually hugged me back, which was so unlike him. I could tell something wasn't right. "Now I know how you feel." He said, and then I let go of him to look him in the eyes.

 

    "What do you mean?"

 

    "I know how you felt when you had to basically give up on everything you worked hard for because of your health issues. Now the same thing is happening to me." He had a blank expression on his face, and his eyes were glistening but he never even shed a single tear.

 

    He was referring to my being forced to leave school because I had to skip class too many times due to my health. It was horrible. We had to go through the same thing. In an odd way, it connected us. We both hated the fact that our medical conditions ruined everything.

    The only thing that was different was because of this problem it wasn't just him that was affected. It affected his whole group, all eleven of them. They were all too overworked already, and now they had to change their whole routine because of Kris. He always told me how guilty he felt, and the rest of them knew too. Everyone else was trying to make it seem like he was the bad guy, when in reality, his own life was at risk. The other members understood that and accepted it. They'd rather go through pain themselves than see Kris suffer and deteriorate. It was because they loved him. And I would do the same for him if I could, because I love him too. I love him more than any words could ever express.

 

 

 

 

Don't feel too bad, more is on the way~! I hope readers are enjoying it so far. I'm working really hard on this fic. ~chaixing