1/1

Lies and Games

[Minor bg info: Luhan, 17 – senior; Yifan, 17 – junior; Zitao, 16 – sophomore]

[Word count: 3,828 ; Pages: 9]


Start.

 

Wu Yi Fan, a junior jock of the school. He wasn’t the pointiest needle of the bunch but that didn’t stop the cheerleaders and half of the school to be all over him. His hair was always styled down and to the left, making him look like he came straight out of a shoujo manga. Maybe, just maybe, one day he would notice me. He had to; we were in the same team.

Huang Zi Tao, that’s me, an average sophomore at the school. I have a black belt in martial arts, my specialty being wushu; I’m a club performer by nights, mainly with dancing and rapping. You know, just another… wallflower. Recently I joined the basketball team since there wasn’t anything else to pick, but bonus for me, Yi Fan was in the team too (this may have or may have not been a reason to join).

I had known Yi Fan for a while now, actually. Years ago he was a reject like everyone else so he moved to Canada for some years, but puberty hit him good and when he came back he was another person, physically and emotionally. He had become a cold, yet sociable guy that cared about his image more than he did about his friends. Indeed, he had changed. But I know the guy I had met was still there somewhere, maybe if I acted cute enough.

Maybe I had been dumb for still liking him for all this time but still, a heart that yearns and seeks can’t be tamed as easily. I always held that little piece of hope that maybe if I confessed he might like me back or something. But I was always too shy for any of the plans I came up with.

Still. Today was the basketball tournament and I was watching from the bench as usual. The coach was running after everyone to count the faults and whatnot of our school’s team and the opposing one’s. I sighed as my eyes watched Yi Fan dribble the ball and evade the defense to shoot a perfect winning ball of this round. The crowd went wild and started shouting his name as everyone went to pat him in the back. They didn’t want me there so I just stayed sitting down, watching with a little smile.  The coach called us in for a quick meeting before the last 20 points started, since the scores were even.

“Alright, the game plan. Captain?” He was talking in a tone where only we could hear him but it was still understandable.

“They seem to like to diverse attention a bit, I need more defense.” Kris explained mildly and named a bunch of people from the team, giving them the instructions and whatnot.

Of course. I had to go back to sit, I was only there for just in case someone got hurt. They broke formation and I watched them go back to the middle of the basketball court.

Yi Xing, over here!”

“Yi Fan, I’m open!”

“Throw it to me!”

Most of their comments were the same, the game was getting boring. Everyone was blocking and no points were being made after ten minutes. Soon, sneakers screeching against the hardwood were heard, followed by a loud thud and a groan.

-TIMEOUT-, the board read.

Little did I know, “Zi Tao, you’re on!”

I blinked a couple of times and headed to the left, staying there for a bit while they took care of the injured guy and resumed the game. Most of the time I was running like a headless cow, trying to block everyone I could. The ball was tossed to me, if I scored, we’d win. This wasn’t my function in the court, what were they thinking? I took the chance, evaded the boy that was blocking me, and pretended to toss the ball to Yi Fan. It was late, now or never. I tossed the ball and winced just a bit when I saw it hit the railing of the hoop. Lucky day for Zi Tao, it went through the hoop and our score rose.

A loud beep echoed through the room and I just stood there dumbfounded.

We won. I helped to make us win. I was tackled by half of the team, hugged, patted, petted. Many congratulations and cheers were heard, and I knew they were directed towards me. It felt good to win. It felt good to be looked at with different eyes from Yi Fan.

Screw the feelings right now, I started whooping, screaming and laughing with everyone else as they all raised me in their arms while the announcer told the scores.

-60-62 -VICTORY TO THE WOLVES-, the board read.

The cheerleaders came closer and started a little cheer along the lines of “go panda, zhu he, or gong xi”. Meanwhile, Yi Fan kept smiling and staring at me. Why was he smiling? Why was I being noticed? It was only one shot.

After we were able to go shower and get changed, he approached me.

“Nice game tonight. I’m proud of you, Zi Tao,” He hushed in my ear and hugged my arm for a bit before letting go to pat my head and leave.

Is this what they meant in those Japanese cartoons where your superior that you admired or liked had noticed you?

I shouldn’t have. I got my hopes up.

I only got home to mom’s chow mein, and a small, fruit decorated cake that was bought by dad. They spent all dinner telling me how proud they were of their little boy. Maybe I didn’t like this attention so much, I could only smile and reply with little “xiexie”s

Glad that dinner was over, I could hide in my room and hug the large, panda stuffed animal that waited for me in my bed. My room was rather ordinary, it was mostly monochromatic with hints of blue (okay, lots of blue, what wasn’t black was blue). There were animal prints here and there and a stack of hats on top of the dresser. Aside from the hats, there was a chest full of my jewelry, piercings, bracelets, rings, and necklaces. There were a couple of bottles of perfume and a couple of hair and skin care products. On the shelves among the walls, there were a couple of trinkets and CDs of groups and bands I liked, along with some movies and a couple of more music related things. The walls were all shades of gray, the furniture was white, and the shelves were black. On the wall, on top of my bed, that was on the left corner, next to a window, was placed a large decal of the Sol key. You could spot some glitter in some areas, my room was quirky like that. There was a fluffy, white carpet covering most of the white-tiled floor and on a corner, next to the closet, were two blue beanbag chairs in front of a medium sized, black, flat screen TV that rested on a special, white table.

I sighed and buried my head on the panda’s chest. How I wished sometimes that that panda was Yifan. My body ended up curling into the fluffy, black blanket that rested on top of zebra printed bed sheets and fell asleep there.

I woke up with a couple of pillows on top of me and sighed, tapping shut the iHome that obnoxiously kept beeping. A yawn escaped my lips as I stretched, and decided to push the covers off. I headed to the bathroom and took care of my problems and hygiene, and went back to the bedroom to get dressed for school. I put on the uniform and slipped on a ring or two, as well with a watch and a bracelet on either hand. After checking the forecast, it was going to be cold today, so I slipped on a baseball-style jacket and fixed my hair, heading to the kitchen with my phone and backpack for a quick breakfast.

“Zao shang hao, mama,” I greeted lightly and sat down at the table.

She greeted me back and gave me an eggroll to take with me. I took it and bowed at dad that had just arrived. My phone vibrated and made a jingle, before there was a knock on the door.

I went to open the door, phone in hand.

“Gege?”

“Zao shang hao, Zi Tao.”

What was Yi Fan doing here? How did he find out where I lived?

“Didn’t you receive my text?”

I blinked and looked at my iPhone’s screen, the text preview wasn’t there so I had to pull down the menu and look at the missed notifications:

Yifan-ge      Today, 6:40 AM

I’m going to meet you today at your place and drive you to school.

-and drive you to school.

Oh.

I laughed awkwardly and nodded, inviting him in. What was up with Yi Fan? We stayed talking to my parents for a bit before we had to leave to school.

The drive there was quiet, he kept his eyes on the road but he pulled over halfway. Somehow, I was feeling a bit uneasy.

“We have to talk.”

In the middle of the road?

I blinked and nodded slowly.

“I obviously can’t tell you this at school, so I went to pick you up.”

There was silence from me and only little nods to show I was still listening.

“Um. You know that the winter dance is coming up and such and going with a girl’s really overrated, so I wanna go with someone I know, a teammate.”

Someone I know. A teammate. That’s all I was to Yi Fan.

“So. Um… would you go with me? I wanted to ask you because you’re different-”

Different?

“-and nicer than everyone and all-”

He turned to me, as if expecting an answer. I hadn’t asked anyone to the dance yet because I didn’t plan on going. I raised my eyebrows a bit and he leaned closer to me. My cheeks were tinted a rosy shade, eyes widened a bit and my lips slightly parted.

“-… and because I’ve had my eyes on you for a while now.”

Reality check.

Yi Fan had just basically confessed to me.

“I really like you, Zi Tao.”

Yi Fan had just confessed to me.

And all I could do was sit there, looking like a fish without water.

“I-I…”

He leant in closer and cupped my right cheek as my eyes grew wider and my cheeks redder, his voice going down an octave, “you can say yes and we can start dating if you’d like. Or you can say no and after we step out of this car we can forget this ever happened.”

Inside of my head there were only little phrases of what I’d like to say, what I felt at the moment. What to do? I had wanted this for rather long now and the opportunity was right in front of me (literally).

“D-dating?”

Real smooth, Zi Tao.

“Yeah. Like starting off a relationship in a more than friends or comrades way,” he replied as his fingertips caressed my cheek.

I tried leaned my head down a bit and nodded a bit, managing to turn my eyes back to his, which I found were piercing right into my heart.

He smiled and leant in a bit more, wrapping me in his strong arms and placed a chaste kiss on my left cheek, “you can call yourself my boyfriend now, then.”

My life had just turned into a gay love manga, I swear it did.

He smiled and headed back to the main road, getting us safely to school. Yi Fan quickly took the key out of the ignition and unlocked the car, getting out first to head to my door and help me out.

No way.

He handed me my things and laced his fingers in mine, leading me into the building.

Double no way.

As soon as we were spotted, people started gossiping about us. People were talking about me.

Triple no way.

Yi Fan smiled reassuringly at me and pulled me forward, to where the lockers were and left me at mine, pressing another kiss to my cheek, “Dai hui er jian, baobei.”

Baobei. Bu, just. Bu!

 As soon as he left, my legs felt wobbly and gravity pulled me down. My face was hot and I could only stare into space as my brain processed everything that had happened in the last twenty minutes.

“Zao shang hao, Zi Tao,” Yi Xing’s soft voice called out for me when he crouched down next to me and poked my forehead, “are you okay?”

“Ni hao…” I mumbled to him and tried controlling my eyes that were probably as big as saucers right now.

He let out a light chuckle and helped me up, staring at me curiously, “how come your face is so red?”

“I… I don’t know.”

He blinked, “how are things with Yi Fan?”

The redness that was subduing in my skin flushed right back.

“No way. Is it official, then?” A wide grin spread over his lips.

I nodded, muttering a light “shi”.

“Hey! Congrats, man!”

Yi Xing was one of the only friends I had in this school, he’d usually look out for me when he wasn’t spacing out, which was too often for comfort. You’d wonder how Yi Fan and the coach allowed him to play regularly in the team anyways.

I smiled a bit and rested my head in his shoulder, squeezing my eyes shut and let out a little squeak, “today’s turning out to be pretty good.”

Sure it was! Until half of the soccer team pranced in front of us and they stopped in front of us.

“Hi, we’re having some tryouts today so if you’d like to go, you’re more than welcome to do so,” a soft voice that melded with a small smile greeted me.

It was Se Hun, the freshman and captain of the soccer team. He had transferred from Korea here last August.

“Ah… hi, but-” someone cut me off.

“We know you’re in the basketball team but you’re always sitting on the bench and with us you’d be able to play often since you’re quick on your feet,” a guy with an almost sassy voice tone cut me off, his shirt read Chen on the sleeve, so I assumed that was his name.

“We’re only of freshmen and sophomores so we’re hoping to get juniors and maybe seniors this year,” another boy, sassy as Chen but less whiny cut in and smiled. His sleeve read Baekhyun.

Baek Hyun and Jong Dae, or “Chen”, were also transfer students around my age from Korea that came with Se Hun.

“Just come and watch and see if you want to try out, okay? O ho rat!” Se Hun flashed a smile and nodded, raising his thumbs a bit and left with the team behind him.

Oh ho rat?

Maybe it wouldn’t hurt to try out… our school’s team was growing so maybe I should go at least watch.

Yi Xing looked at me and shrugged a bit. Maybe he wasn’t even listening.

“Well anyways. Dai hui er jian!” He called and waved me off, skipping off to his classroom.

Today just kept getting more interesting.

Class passed by boringly as usual and soon it was time to go. Same time as the tryouts started and when the swimming team held their practice and the clubs held their meetings.

I had decided to go see the tryouts and there was the school’s team and the ones that transferred from Korea. I took a spot at the bleachers and noticed Yi Fan there. It wouldn’t hurt to go say hi.

“Hi gege,” I smiled and sat down at the empty spot that was next to him.

“Hey, panda.”

He greeted back and threw an arm around my shoulders. I cuddled a bit into him, keeping my eyes on the boys that were holding some practice goals. Among them, there was the quiet, Korean transfer student, Min Seok. He was actually a senior, even if he looked like a sophomore. The boy was a bit chubby, but he had slimmed down ever since he came here. Aside from him, there was that kid from Beijing, Lu Han. He was beyond popular and knew everything and everyone, even if he was really nice.

Those two had potential as the best players of the team and they’d often be found practicing alone on the field during free period.

I was lost in my thoughts as a bag was placed next to me and a small boy sat next to me.

Innocent eyes turned to me, followed by a gummy smile that was framed by a pair of plump lips, “are you here to try out too?” His voice was a lot manlier than how he looked, like a little kid with a coconut head haircut.

“Not really, I just came to watch,” I smiled at him and shook my head.

“I’m Kyung Soo,” he said after nodding.

“Zi Tao,” I extended a hand to shake his.

“Woah, aren’t you Yi Fan’s boyfriend?”

“Ah, yeah-” I chuckled sheepishly as Yi Fan leaned to face him and smiled at him.

“Wo de,” Yi Fan said before pulling me closer to him.

We all laughed and stayed at a safe distance from each other.

“Kyung Soo? Kyung Soo?” A soft voice called out quizzically.

“Over here!” He said and waved for the person to come closer.

The guy that was calling out for him came closer, his skin was pale white and it contrasted with his dark eyes and hair that was pushed up with hair gel.

“Joon Myeon?” Yi Fan asked.

 “Hello, Yi Fan,” he smiled at him and bowed, sitting next to Kyung Soo.

“You two know each other?” Kyung Soo beat me to the question.

“Yeah, we met in summer camp,” Yi Fan answered, “You’re in acting club with Kyung Soo now, right?”

“Mhm, we kind of met there.”

They all started chatting with each other while Kyung Soo and I just watched. They stopped when it was Lu Han’s and Min Seok’s turn to try, though. Lu Han was swift and graceful on his feet; he skipped here and there while keeping the ball rolling until he got closer to the net and gave a powerful kick to the ball, scoring a goal. Some “whoa”s were heard and he just smiled and waved to everyone. Min Seok was rather quick as well, he had a good technique and he scored goals from a larger distance than Lu Han did. They were both pretty good and of course, they were instantly accepted into the team. Lu Han was made team captain and everyone was okay with it.

Yi Fan had his eyes glued to Lu Han the whole time. Maybe it was because he admired him, yeah, that was probably it.

After that day, Yi Fan took me out on multiple dates and walked me home and whatnot. It was hard to believe that behind that cold appearance was a kind and gentlemanly man. Our latest fashion was escaping to the movies or to the field to make out behind the bleachers. That was another shocker, our first kiss. He had been so sweet, so gentle, yet so... addictive. Yi Fan just had that way of being that it left you impatiently wanting- no, needing more.

I was head over heels- a drooling puppy willing to follow Yi Fan to the ends of the Earth.

I was so blind for Yi Fan that whatever he did was perfect, and if it was bad, instantly forgiven and forgotten.

The winter dance arrived and Yi Fan had arrived at my house, dressed in a black suit with a crisp white shirt and a blue bow, his smooth hair pushed back. He looked so damn handsome. We wore matching bows and he even got me a flower. My parents took our picture and he drove me to the dance. Once there, he took my hand and led me to the school. It was a bit chilly outside, so he hugged me and kept me in his arms. He was so warm.

Yi Xing appeared a bit after, dateless as expected, and he greeted us, going on about how cute Joon Myeon and Kyung Soo looked together.

He kept me company and Yi Fan had to leave for a bit after checking his phone, saying he had to settle some last minute things with the coach.

-Nobody’s POV-

Yi Fan had left the basketball court to the back of the school as Lu Han had specified in the text.

Han      Today, 8:40 PM

Meet me at the back of the school at 9:00 sharp.

He was there, punctual as the responsible man he was and there he found Lu Han. His fluffy hair styled in little curls and pushed to the left. Lu Han wore a black tuxedo as well, a white shirt and a black tie. A smug grin rested at his lips and he signaled for Yi Fan to come closer.

“I’ve been thinking about what you said that other time. And you’re right… it doesn’t really matter if I’m manly to be in a relationship with another man. I still like you Yi Fan, and I’m sorry I made you wait for this long. I-I just. I was insecure and I thought you deserved better- but then I saw you with Zi Tao and I just realized that I wanted you to be mine. I-”

Yi Fan couldn’t bear to hear him finish his sentence. He had endured almost two months with Zi Tao, a guy he honestly never saw himself in a relationship with, and years without Lu Han, the guy he’d wanted all this time. He pressed his lips against Lu Han’s, and everything felt right. The universe had pieced together perfectly in their moment. Lu Han threw his arms around Yi Fan’s shoulders and pulled him closer, returning the kiss.

“I love you, too, Lu Han. Duo xiang ni ya…”

Little did they know that at the door step Zi Tao and Yi Xing were watching. He had gotten worried and left to check in on him and got the biggest surprise of his life.

-Zi Tao’s POV-

I stood there dumbfounded, Yixing holding my waist so I wouldn’t fall. How could I be so stupid? It was so obvious! Yi Fan left the school liking Lu Han, and it was only natural he still liked him. That fact was clear as daylight. They liked each other and I was simply a distraction, a cheap replacement for a few days.

How foolish of me to think that you would change your mind.

“I was so stupid to actually believe that you ever loved me.”

The End.