Questions & Answers

Fairytale

 

 

 

 

 

The atmosphere at the hotel restaurant was nice, almost too nice. Honestly, Junho wasn’t that used to fancy restaurants, his grandfather had been more the type to bring him to cheap local stores rather than high-class places. On the other hand, Nichkhun looked like he absolutely belonged there, playfully flirting with the waiter, even though it was a guy.

 

Once the waiter had left, Junho looked at the menu, unable to stop a shocked cough when he noticed the prices.

“I-I’m afraid this is a little bit more than I can afford.”

“No worries, I will take care of it.”

Suspiciously eyeing him, Junho muttered:

“With money… or that glittery stuff?”

“I have money,” Nichkhun replied with an ambiguous smile.

For a moment Junho contemplated asking him where exactly that money came from, but then the waiter interrupted them again, maybe luckily so, because he was not sure that he wanted to know the answer.

 

Slightly flustered at his sudden return, Junho randomly chose something of the menu that didn’t seem too extravagant. The overly bright smile the waiter kept sending Nichkhun made Junho think it was not a coincidence he had returned so quickly. The annoying thing was that Junho sort of got it. Even though he didn’t want to admit it, there was no denying that Nichkhun was charming and definitely handsome for a guy, almost too handsome.

 

After unreasonable amount of flirting, the waiter finally left them alone in silence. Feeling a bit uncomfortable, Junho glanced at this stranger, unsure of what to think. According to Chansung, he was supposedly a fairy too, but honestly, the two of them didn’t look like they had anything in common. Apart from being maybe too handsome. But Nichkhun definitely seemed a lot sleazier, the way there had been two half- girls in his bed during the middle of the day, and now with the flirting, it seemed like gender didn’t even matter to him. It was also wildly suspicious how excited Chansung was to meet him, so maybe they had history together, like, romantic history. The thought made him blush, and feel very uncomfortable. Though on the other hand, Chansung didn’t seem particularly upset about Nichkhun’s bed guests. But they still could be boyfriends, with some kind of a weird arrangement. Junho didn’t know anything about the love lives of fairies.

 

“I’m not Chansung’s boyfriend.” Suddenly, Nichkhun said out of the blue.

Jaw dropping to his chest, Junho blurted out the first thing that came to him:

“D-Do you read minds?”

“Not yours,” he replied laughing. “You are just being obvious.”

“Chansung’s?” Junho’s voice was squeakier than he planned, and he was strangely jealous. Not only had Nichkhun known him for a long time, but now also seemed to have a direct access to his brain. On the other hand, Junho never knew anything that was going on in Chansung’s mind, to him it was a total mystery. 

“Yes.”

 

Before Junho had the chance to ask for details, the waiter came back, pouring them some wine, and this time there was no doubt that he was flirting, and the fairy was definitely not hating on it.

 

Painfully slowly, Nichkhun took a sip of his wine, probably just to torture him, before he continued his explanation.

“But not specifically him.”

“So can you hear all fairies?”

“Well, all the ones from my tribe, at least.”

“All at the same time?” Junho couldn't believe what an annoying life that would be. “Isn't that too noisy?”

For some reason this was funny, because Nichkhun laughed and explained: “It's not so much hearing, as it is sensing, sort of like you can see your own mind.”

“So you can just... sort through people's brains, find out everything they know?”

“Not really... I cannot control anyone. I just see what they are thinking at that exact moment.”

 

This was so strange, and Junho was not so sure what to think about it. “And you're sure you cannot do this to me?”

“Very sure. I can't sense the thoughts of other species.”

“And Chansung can do this too?”

“Of course.”

 

Their very strange talk was interrupted when the waiter arrived with their food. Not exactly sure what was on his plate, Junho tasted it, and since it was good, he didn't really care. This strange mindreading power made him very curious, so he asked:

“Can you hear all of them now? The fairies?”

“No.” Nichkhun's smile faded. “They are too far away. Only Chansung.” When Junho stared at him confused, he tried explaining: “I sense most clearly those that are close, physically or emotionally. I guess the same way you look over a crowd, the faces next to you are easiest to see in detail, and then you're more likely to spot out someone that you recognize.”

“Are you?” Junho asked before he could stop himself, “...emotionally close with Chansung?”

“Yes, I guess you could say that, we are friends.”

The answer was kind of vague, and left a lot up for interpretation. As much as Junho wanted to ask, he didn't. It was none of his business after all, what kind of relationship they had with each other.

 

But he couldn’t help thinking this was a horrible system.

“I-Isn't it annoying? Having everyone know what's in your head, and see into everyone else's?”

“Annoying? Why would it be?” Apparently this was a ridiculous question, because Nichkhun looked at him with zero understanding. “On the contrary, I don't understand how you can tolerate the silence, it's deafening. And isn't it lonely, being by yourself all the time?”

“I guess, sometimes,” Junho shrugged, “But what when you need privacy?”

“Why would I need that?”

“I donno,” lightly blushing, he tried to come up with examples, “Like if you go to the bathroom?”

“What's private about that? Everyone pees, and it's not that interesting.”

“Or... if you have a girlfriend, and... you know.” Not able to help it, Junho's face turned completely red.

“Well, everyone knows does that too, so?”

“What if you like someone and don't want him... I mean her, to know?”

“Isn't it better that the person knows?” Again, Nichkhun really didn't see his point. “Otherwise, there can be so many misunderstandings.”

 

It was difficult to explain privacy to someone that didn't seem to need it. Then suddenly Junho realized something.

“Wait, does that mean Chansung can hear everything we say?”

“If he wants to,” Nickhun shrugged and lightly wiped his mouth with a napkin. “But at the moment he's focusing on other things so... He's not paying us too much attention.”

“What things?” Before he could stop himself, the question was out.

“Now, where was that important privacy you were talking about?” Nichkhun gave him a wink, making his face completely read, “Such a curious boy... and naughty too, bathing in the magic lake together and whatnot.”

“How...” Stopping midsentence, Junho quickly realized how the fairy knew and blushed even more. Hiding his embarrassment he blurted out bitterly: “Why do you even bother talking then?”

“I don't know...” Looking up for a moment, it seemed like Nichkhun hadn't really thought about that before, “To communicate with other species of course... But I guess also to organize our thoughts, bring out the point we want to convey, because the brain can have many thoughts at once. But I guess some of us rely less on talking than others.”

“Is Chansung one of that someone?” Junho didn't even try to hide his frustration.

“I guess,” Nichkhun chuckled “He has not explained a lot, has he?” When Junho passionately shook his head, he laughed even harder, and added: “Just give him time... He's not used to people not seeing his thoughts.”

“But you seem to be better at it?”

“Hmm... maybe I am. I always had an interest in other species. And you're always free to ask me anything?”

 

Of course there were more important questions, but one thing was really stuck on Junho’s mind.

“Why was your glitter different from Chansung's? And what did it... do?”

“Well,” Judging from the smirk on Nichkhun's face, for some reason this was an incredibly amusing question. “I guess you've seen Chansung's white dusting?”

“Yes. The mind controlling glitter.”

“Well, it can't make you do everything, but many things I suppose. Unless you're a magic boy of course,” Another wink was sent his way, and Junho was becoming more and more convinced that this man was a serious player. “But black dusting, encourages your more... primitive desires.”

“My what?”

“It makes you .”

“Oh.” Suddenly Junho realized what exactly Chansung was doing all by himself up on that hotel room, and his face became a deep shade of red.

 

His reaction seemed terribly amusing to Nichkhun who laughed heartedly, making him even more embarrassed, but then he called the waiter and ordered more wine and another plate of food.

“You are still hungry?” Junho asked surprised that this guy who was rather slim would eat so much.

“No this is for Chansung. He's done for now, so he's coming down.”

Strangely, Junho's stomach was filled with this weird anticipation. Hiding his feelings to make sure Nichkhun wouldn't notice and misunderstand, he took a large sip of his wine. Even though this fairy had been very nice to him, still it would be nice to get Chansung back.