1923, New Orleans

Through Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author note: In this chapter during the time travelling part Sandara is called Sandy and Chaerin is Charlotte. In the next chapter there will be some explaining too, don't panic. :3
 


“So, where are we going?”
“I only examined one period of our case. It’s not an old “story”, but surely an interesting one. If you don’t mind, I will tell you how this travelling works because it differs from what you experienced already.” Sandara nodded. “We are travelling in time but we won’t have any power there so we won’t be able to change anything. We watch, never encroach. They won’t see or hear us, not even feeling our presence so don’t worry. Now hold my hand...”

1923, New Orleans

Living in the states was already risky for someone with different skin tone and almond shaped eyes. It wasn’t even a matter if the person was Korean, Japanese or Chinese, all they got was “yellow pigs from the other side of the world”. If this was not enough, women had no right, had no word, not even in their family. Keeping up with these things were hard to Sandy who grew up as the second generation of a Korean family living in the USA. Her parents moved to New Orleans before the World War and his father was even on duty to serve the country where they were just ants under the big feet of American giants.

They lived in a small apartment near the French quarter of the city where her mother opened a small Asian market after his father passed away in the war. Sandy was promised to a young, fine, elegant half-American, half-Japanese salesman who worked around the country to sell cleaning machines and products to the ladies in the garden city. She was unsure of marrying a stranger who didn’t know any of her culture or her life full of suffers since the man’s family was living in the states for way longer and they were already respected in the area.

One night, she was the one closing the shop. To the way home she heard a voice of a woman singing sensually. She looked around and saw the opened window of a hidden bar. As she walked closer she could feel the music filling her ears and making her head sway to the rhythm. The bar was smoky, she couldn’t even see the faces sitting in a circle. The only light was on the woman standing in the centre and singing loudly while holding a cigarette holder in her right hand. The woman was outstanding, beautiful and the ideal type of every men, to be exact, every Asian men since none of the Americans liked the extraordinary beauty of Asian females. The peeking turned into staring until the two of them made eye contact and the singer waved to Sandy to come in then placed the holder to .

Entering the bar the petite girl felt like she was in an utterly new world. There was a counter in the far end of the big room and a small light lit the drinks in the corner. During the prohibition it was nearly impossible to get alcohol but in this bar they had as much as they could get a whole company drunk. Not sure on what to do Sandy just stood in the corner and waited for something to happen. The smoke filled her lungs and she remembered to her father smoking in the little kitchen they had. The memory brought back the tears she kept inside for years. She leaned to the wall and covered in embarrassment not wanting to disturb the group. The woman in the middle stopped singing and walked in front of Sandy. She placed her hands on the broken woman’s shoulders and hugged her. The other didn’t bother anymore to hide her pain and poured her heart ou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter