Chapter 4

Chasing A Summer Fling

"Hello?" Taeyeon groggily spoke into her phone, she had the day off and hadn't plan on waking up till noon. In fact she specifically told Sunny not to call her even if her house burned down. But a mysterious call ruined her plan and beauty sleep.

 

"Taeyeon unnie?" A voice piped loudly from the other side of the line. Taeyeon winced and her frown deepened at the unrecognizable voice. "Are you awake yet or did I disrupt your sleep." Taeyeon let out a deep sigh restraining herself from letting out a sarcastic reply before knowing who it was. In case it was her boss, she mustered all self control. 

 

"Yes, and who is this?" Taeyeon tiredly mumbled into the speaker her mind not yet awake and functioning. 

 

"Baby did you forget me already," the voice cooed, Taeyeon immediately pulled away from her, what the hell. Must be a prank call, before she could hang up and roll back into her dreamland, she heard a slight giggle. "Just kidding, it's me unnie." The voice chimed.

 

Taeyeon thought hard on the words, she tiredly blinked a few times while rubbing her eyes, "Me?"

 

"Yeah, Krystal. I'm sad you forgotten my voice so soon, we talked yesterday." Krystal's voice floated into Taeyeon's ears, and her brain slowly processed it. Wait. Krystal?

 

"Krystal?" Taeyeon repeated, confirming her hearing. She heard Krystal answer with a hum. "Why are you calling me so early and how do you even have my number?" Taeyeon felt slightly annoyed she was woken so early but hey this was Jessica's sister and the only connection she has to Jessica at the moment.

 

"We exchanged numbers yesterday." Krystal said in a tone of disbelief, "Talk about short term memory."

 

"Ah." Taeyeon flashed back to yesterday when she had lunch with Krystal, thinking back she actually did exchange numbers in fact she was the one who asked for her number. Taeyeon awkwardly bit her tongue, not that Krystal could see it. "So what did you need?" 

 

"I need help. There something I need you to help me with."

 

Taeyeon sat up fully awake, debating whether she should take Krystal's hand reaching out to her. "With what?"

 

"You'll know when you get here." Krystal voice strain with a bit of annoyance, "Are you coming to help or not?"

 

"Where's here?" Taeyeon continue to question, if she was going to help she at least deserve to know what she was going to be wasting her Sunday morning on. At least let it be a easy sort of help not day off turning into more tired then being in work day.

 

"I'll tell you when you accept." Krystal hurried, Taeyeon rolled her eyes, she was just going in circle with the questioning, and Krystal didn't seem she was going to answer her anytime soon.

 

"What do I get out of this?" Taeyeon bargained, a playful grin laid across her face, she didn't really want anything in general but teasing an impatient Krystal was easy and enjoyable, might as well have some fun from waking up early.

 

"Do you want my help to get my sister or not?" Krystal impatiently called out to Taeyeon, Taeyeon rolled her eyes. Krystal always resort to her trump card at the last moment at it would always be something related to Jessica. Taeyeon cursed the fact the two were related. For the past three days since her encounter with the star, Krystal would always use the phrase, "Do you want my help or not?"

 

"Fine." Taeyeon gave in. Sighing as she trapped her phone between her ear and shoulder blade as she got up to look for a outfit to wear. 

 

"That always works doesn't it." Krystal voice laced with a hint of amusement and laughter. "Who knew my sister has such a impact on getting you to go along."

 

"Shut up." Taeyeon playful growled into the speaker, "You better uphold your end of  the bargain though."

 

"Alright, alright. By the way I'll meet you at the closest mall to our work building okay? In ten minutes." Krystal quickly summed up every detail. She hung up before Taeyeon could even let out a thought to all the information.

 

"Yah..."Taeyeon sighed and shook her head, she really does resemble her sister. At the thought Taeyeon quickly shook my head again. 

 

I should compare her to Jessica, she briefly took a note of that before getting dressed. Looking for hints of Jessica in Krystal was the last thing she wanted to even do. In fact even the she didn't even want the thought to even cross her mind.

 

 

"So tell me again what am I doing here so early?" Taeyeon complained aloud, as she scan the different color of hair dye. 

 

"I need help to pick out a color." Krystal stated with her hand on her hips, looking over Taeyeon's shoulder. Taeyeon gave Krystal a long hard look making sure Krystal was actually being serious. 

 

"But you want black hair dye." Taeyeon restating the information Krystal told her just minutes again. "Black. Hair. Dye." Taeyeon repeated once more slowly, emphasizing on each word especially black. Krystal nodded at each word.

 

"And I need help." Krystal stated. Taeyeon gave her a look of disbelief.

 

"You do know there's only one shade of black right?" Taeyeon picked up one box and shook it in front of Krystal's face, "And with your hair, you're better off doing it at a hair salon." Taeyeon pointed out.

 

"Okay Ms. Know It All, but I'm still going to dye it myself" Krystal huffed, Taeyeon putted both hand up in surrender, backing up. "Let's buy two of that box and go to my house." Krystal took it out of Taeyeon's hand and grabbed another one before walking to the cashier.

 

"I'd like to know why do I have to help you." Taeyeon muttered trudging along, Krystal simply shrugged.

 

"Well I can't do it myself."

 

"I don't even know how." Taeyeon fought.

 

"There's always a first to everything." Krystal nonchalantly answered, not even hestanting to wonder the consequences of her actions.

 

"It's your hair, don't you care." Taeyeon pointed out, wishing Krystal would share she idea.

 

"Then you better not fail me."

 

"I'm not getting out of this, am I?"

 

"Glad you know." Krystal flashed a smile, knowing she won this word spar.

 

 

Krystal drove Taeyeon to a nice looking condo just five minutes from the mall, the building seemed newly built. Taeyeon looked around the place as Krytsal led the way to her room.

 

"You live here yourself?" 

 

"No, it's my sister's place, I just freeload off here until I could afford my own place." Krystal explained, while Taeyeon just nodded making a o shape with . So this is where Jessica lived. Taeyeon took a note of the room number before they entered.

 

The place was pretty neatly organized, the air smelled like lavender perfume Jessica always wore, not too much just perfect and enough. The furinture was mostly beige with a some hints of brown here and there, very modern like. Taeyeon looked around in awe. It was surprisingly clean. Flashing back to knowing Jessica as Sooyeon, she was never actually a neat freak. Or a neat person in general, she remembered often picking up after the girl during her stay at Jessica's apartment back in L.A while Jessica lazed around.

 

"It's pretty clean," Taeyeon voiced out her thoughts. Krystal nodded, dropping the bag of hair dye on the table.

 

"It's usually just me staying here, unnie sometimes, almost never stay here for more than 1 or 2 days. She's either out of Korea or staying at the dorms so things are pretty clean without her around." Krystal grinned, "If you know my sister, she's not exactly the cleanest person."

 

Taeyeon laughed, "Yeah, I figured." 

 

Taeyeon seated herself on the sofa, whiling watching Krystal sort out her dye. Opening the box and laying out the materials. Taeyeon looked curiously at Krystal. "Hey have you done this before?"

 

"Dyeing my hair by myself?" Taeyeon nodded, Krystal stuck a bit of her tongue out between her lips. "No, but I'm sure we'll figure it out." Taeyeon stared with wide open eyes. This didn't sound too good. And Krystal was too chill about the fact neither of them have experience with dyeing, and it was her own hair.

 

After a few moments of silence, Krystal suddenly jumped up with a "ah" startling Taeyeon in the process, "What's wrong?"

 

Krystal knocked her head gently, "Aish, I forgot the brush." Taeyeon didn't know what to say so she just nodded not wanting to sound like an idiot if she opened . She stared at Krystal who had her lips pouted.

 

"I'm going out again, unnie you can stay here and wait." Krystal walked towards the door, pulling out her shoe. Behind her was Taeyeon following.

 

"I could go with you, and shouldn't you be worried leaving me alone in your house." 

 

"It's fine, besides it'll only take a few minutes, I'll be back soon." Krystal left with a wave of her hand, closing the door behind her leaving Taeyeon in the room, suffering the deafening silence. Taeyeon sighed and took a seat back on the sofa. Fiddling with her fingers unsure what to do, looking around herself, there was nothing entertaining, until something caught her eye.

 

Few picture frames sitting my the drawer next to the sofa, Taeyeon scooted over to take a peek. There were three pictures sitting there decorated frame around them, all which were Jessica and Krystal. Taeyeon picked one up and stared intently at it. Her eyes locked onto Jessica's face.

 

"I miss you so much," she whispered to herself. She let her thumb brush over Jessica's face with a sigh. So much, it was almost suffocating that Jessica acts as if they didn't recognized each other. It just wasn't fair. God was so unfair. The effort she went through to look for Jessica just when she thought things were looking at a brighter angle, it all came tumbling down.

 

Sometimes she wish she didn't love Jessica to this extent, but she knew if she were to rewind time for them to spent summer once more just to go through the heartbreak of her leaving again, she probably would. Even if it was just a second she wish Jessica was smile and look only at her. Exchange shy smiles and whispers, late into the night. Just the two of them.

 

Taeyeon puffed up her cheeks and let out a exhale, as she place the frame back but accidently her fingers slipped and the frame dropped to the floor with a loud clash. Taeyeon winced at the loudness and quickly picked it up checking for any cracks. She let out a relief sigh when it still seem to be in mint condition.

 

Suddenly she heard the sound of a door opening, for a split second she thought it was Krystal until she realized the front door didn't open. A voice followed shortly after the door. "Krystal? What was that loud noise." Taeyeon froze in place.

 

"Soojung?" Taeyeon turned her head when she heard the voice came closer and saw Jessica standing right there, with adorable bed hair, along with her black tank top, and short baby blue shorts rubbing her eyes.Taeyeon swallowed the saliva that accumulated in . While Jessica shockingly stared at Taeyeon.

 

"Taeyeon!?" Jessica exclaimed while quickly patted down her hair, taming her messy bed hair with a fluster expression. Realizing her tone, she cleared , "I mean, you're Taeyeon right? From the other day?"

 

Taeyeon stayed mummed, sitting there, waiting for her brain to catch up. Was she seeing things or was Jessica standing right in front of her. Only one thing crossed her mind. Krystal. Taeyeon cleared . "I- yea."

 

"Why are you here?"

 

"Krystal. I-I was helping her dye h-her hair but she left to buy something." Taeyeon explained stuttering, taking a deep breath while biting her lips averting her eyes to look anywhere but Jessica's full blown cleavage shown before her.

 

"Ah, I see..." Jessica trailed off leaving awkwardness floating around the room, Taeyeon her lips, racking her brain for something to make conversation of.

 

"So-"

 

"I-"

 

Both of them stopped waiting for the other to continue, Taeyeon let out nervous chuckle, while Jessica managed a faint smile. How awkward can this even get, Taeyeon mentally chimed.

 

"I'll go get changed," Jessica decided to speak up and escape this silent torture, while Taeyeon just nodded, "It's embarrassing for a fan to see me in this state. Make yourself comfortable while waiting."

 

The word fan pierced Taeyeon's heart, she wanted so much to wrap her arms around Jessica, she wished she could tell her how much she missed her, she wished Jessica would take away all her burden, she wish they could be laying in bed cuddling against each other, hearing Jessica's heart beat increasing like the days where they idled around with not a care in the world.

 

But she can't.

 

They can't.

 

They were a clean slate. She wasn't Sooyeon, some random girl she meet at the beach. She was Jessica, leader to Korea's number one idol group. 

 

"I don't mind," Taeyeon unconsciously muttered under her breath, "You still look beautiful." Taeyeon glanced up to see Jessica's reaction, unsure whether the idol heard her or not but Jessica was already making her way towards her bedroom. Leaving Taeyeon to take a huge breath of air, bringing her hand to her chest she could feel her heart thumping in her chest, a feeling so familiar yet so different.

 

 

"What's taking Soojung so long." Jessica wondered aloud after she came out , looking more refreshed and proper with her loose fitted Tee and some dark blue jeans. She turn to face Taeyeon, "Sorry, for making you wait."

 

Taeyeon quickly shook her head, "It's fine, I don't mind." As long as she get to stay here with Jessica, she wouldn't mind if Krystal took a whole day to get back, "But don't you have any schedules or work?"

 

"No, my manager told me I could have the day off," Jessica replied, "I was going to spend some time with that brat but I didn't think she would bring you over and spend the day trying to ruin her hair." Jessica picked up the box and examined it.

 

"Sorry, I didn't mean to ruin your sisterly....day bond." 

 

"It nothing, I can see her anytime so it's fine." Jessica dismissed it with a flick of her wrist. "Are you hungry? I could cook for you."

 

Taeyeon sensed a flow of deja vu, she remembered Jessica saying that before but that was the day Taeyeon made a note never to let Jessica enter the kitchen. Without a thought to her words, she recited the exact words she had said the day Jessica said she was going to cook for her again.

 

"I don't think you and the kitchen is a good mix." Taeyeon let out a chuckle, meanwhile Jessica stared at her for a few moments before cracking a light smile.

 

"I can't believe even my fans know about a abilities in the kitchen, how embarrassing." Jessica stuck out her tongue a bit from the corner of . 'Don't worry I know what I'm doing."

 

Taeyeon frowned at the twist this conversation went, normally Jesisca would give her a menacing glare claiming her skills in the kitchen is more than enough for her to surivive, while giving Taeyeon a cute pout to let her cook which never happened.

 

"How does toast with egg sound or do you prefer something more Korean?" Jessica asked while tying her hair up into a messy bun.

 

"It's fine whatever you could make." Taeyeon teased.

 

"Don't be too awed when the food taste like heaven."

 

"Wait Sooyeon, I'll help you." Taeyeon followed Jessica.

 

Jessica gave a light chuckle, "You always say that but you'll end up doing everything." It took a a few seconds for her words to sink in, it took a few seconds for Jessica to cover at her slip up, Taeyeon's eyes widened.

 

"I mean, that was mean-" Jessica tried to over her slip up.

 

But Taeyeon grabbed onto Jessica shoulder, cutting her off and stared into Jessica's eyes who mirrored as much shock as Taeyeon's did. Without a single bit of hesitation Taeyeon pulled Jessica into a hug.She felt the idol stiffen in her hold but she didn't let go. Jessica didn't make any effort to move, she let herself sink into Taeyeon's embrace.

 

"Why?" Taeyeon broke the silence, if Jessica remembered her all along why did she feign ignorance. She tightened her hold onto around Jessica frame. Until Jessica gently moved away from Taeyeon and her arms went slack. 

 

"That's what Krystal always say," Jessica started, "So out of reflex I just said that. 

 

Taeyeon face stoned, You're lying, was what her mind and thought but all that came out of was oh. She didn't buy what Jessica was saying but Jessica didn't seem like she was going to crack anytime soon. And this was starting to take a toll on her feelings, making it go through another emotional ride.

 

"Are you okay? You seemed kind of shaken up."

 

"I think I should go, Krystal doesn't seem to be coming home anytime soon." Taeyeon tried to calm her feelings riling up like a tornado, she wanted to leave so Jessica could stop pierce her heart. A relationship can't work with only one. 

 

"Wait." Jessica pulled onto Taeyeon's wrist, like the many times Taeyeon tried to move on from Jessica, invisible chains pull her back and that's what brought her so far. She confirmed that Jessica didn't want to recognize her, and that was all there was. "Stay for a while, I'm sure Krystal will be back soon and you haven't ate yet."

 

"It's okay, tell her I'll help her next time."

 

"Wait." Jessica refused to let go of her grasp, she wasn't sure of it herself that feeling. "Taeyeon." The voice came out as low whisper. 

 

"Wait for what?" Taeyeon asked, fully aware that Jessica understood what she meant. "I want to leave now, so can you stop holding onto me." She meant her words in both meaning, She was tired of the constant squeeze of her heart every time she looks at Jessica. It hurt so bad, as much as she wanted Jessica to stay, to love her, her heart just wasn't as strong.

 

"Please." This time Jessica was the one who wrapped Taeyeon in a hug. Taeyeon stayed motionless at the act, millions of things were rushing through her mind. She couldn't bring herself to move away, any thought of wanting to leave left her mind, Jessica's hold on her was too strong, and it pulls her back every time she wanted to go. 

 

"You're selfish Sooyeon." Taeyeon purposely used her Korean name, she didn't know Jessica. It the Sooyeon part of Jessica who was preventing her from leaving. "Acting like you forgot then pulling me back." Her words weren't biting, it was tired and relenting.

 

"I know." Jessica softy whispered onto Taeyeon's neck, sending shivers. "I never forgot about us." Her words sends hope through Taeyeon's body does this mean she has a chance. 

 

"Then why-"

 

Jessica cut Taeyeon off, and loosen her grip around Taeyeon's body. "I never forgot, but I can't afford to remember."

 



 

I know I took a long time to update this, but on the bright side this was like the longest chapter I have ever written. Like ever. I decided to just stop there cuz that seemed like a perfect way to end the chapter. And to be honest I'm not sure how to weave in Krytsal's role into Taengsic besides always helping them so can you guys give some ideas. I would like to add some drama but my brain isn't working with me so hope you guys can help. Hope you enjoyed reading.